Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

JAnon posted:

you really have to look at Silk Road and think about why Ross is even in prison.
it wasn't because you loved nature or whatever, hunty; you ran an illegal drug-trafficking ring

and tried to have several people killed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

haveblue posted:

and tried to have several people killed

Attempted science

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

shackleford posted:

lmao'ing at remembering that ross ulbricht's ubuntu username was frosty

It's short for "Free Ross, Thank You"

he knew he would be jailed for innocently paying to have competing drug dealers killled

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
if I remember correctly, the attempted hits Ross put on people for bitcoin wasn't even part of his sentence/trial (which was already going to be long as hell so I don't think they even bothered)

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
I think those parts were Carl Mark Forced out of the trial.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

drk posted:

lol, the details on J.Zhong's crimes are right out of a bad sci fi novel

oh my god lmao

this isn’t out of a bad sci fi novel, this is a great anecdote for a systems programming textbook

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Mercury_Storm posted:

if I remember correctly, the attempted hits Ross put on people for bitcoin wasn't even part of his sentence/trial (which was already going to be long as hell so I don't think they even bothered)
no point because he's put away for infinity + 1 years even without them so why jeopardize the case with testimony by the disgraced dea agent.

rowkey bilbao
Jul 24, 2023

Mercury_Storm posted:

i'm not 100% sure but I believe the hit also included relatives or potentials bystanders

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

rowkey bilbao posted:

i'm not 100% sure but I believe the hit also included relatives or potentials bystanders

yeah at least one of the targets didn't live alone so everyone else in the house was to be eliminated if they were in at the time

what a swell guy that ross was

drk
Jan 16, 2005

rjmccall posted:

oh my god lmao

this isn’t out of a bad sci fi novel, this is a great anecdote for a systems programming textbook

according to a post on the orange site:

hn posted:

The original hack was caused by the fact that Silk Road was running PHP on MySQL without transaction isolation. Many early crypto exchanges had similar withdrawal bugs as they were running on LAMP stacks - MySQL has been notoriosly famous for having lax transaction isolation. Sometimes you could overwithdraw just by hitting refresh fast enough in a web browser.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
running an exchange out of money by depositing negative sums is still the king of bitcoin hacks

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

FMguru posted:

running an exchange out of money by depositing negative sums is still the king of bitcoin hacks

the funniest is still the guy who hosted an exchange on AWS but didn't pay extra for persistence

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

my favourite is the store front where someone made a listing for a book with a negative value

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

stolen, unlinked, from Reddit.

don’t even feel bad

quote:

tl;dr:

After VM restart, wallet AND its backups are lost. (we suppose that wallet data was in instance-store and new AWS EC2 instance was powered up after settings change)

Service is put up for sale for 17,000BTC to cover the bitcoin refunds.

Unofficial statement translation:

I wish to hereby inform all bitomat users of the system failure that occurred on 26 July 2011 and of its consequences.

Let me begin with an apology for such a long delay in releasing this statement. I postponed it only for the benefit of the investigation of the causes and people responsible for the failure. Unfortunately, to date, despite intensive efforts, I haven't been able to establish the foregoing.

I also think that any longer delay wouldn't be justified and I owe you an explanation.

On 26 July 2011 at about 11:00PM, I noticed that bitcoin server was out of resources and I had to increase RAM. As a result of this operation, the virtual machine was deleted and all data lost, including bitcoin wallet and its backups.

I have established that data was lost because settings of the virtual mashine were changed, although I didn't change them myself. Amazon Web Services Company, which hosts our servers, says that the cleared machine has been set up to be irretrievably destroyed (including the data on the disks) at the shutdown.

I'm still trying to establish who has changed the settings and whether I will be able to recover the lost data. Unfortunately cooperation with Amazon Web Services is very difficult. As soon as I realized that my virtual machine was lost I have ordered AWS premium support, talked to the manager and asked for securing of the disk data. So far, without success.

Up to now I haven't been able to clearly determine the causes of the failure. I presume that's the result of third party actions, which wanted to hide their illegal activities or intentionally wanted the service to crash. If that's so, I will report the case to the authorities.

I'm still trying to recover the lost data, but it requires support from the server's owner (and that, as I mentioned earlier, is difficult).

At this point I wish to inform and assure you that your money deposited with wire transfer and not converted to BTC and unpaid money from the sale of BTC remain safe and intact. At the same time I am counting on your help in solving this problem. I realize that the situation is very difficult, and that you are concerned about your BTC funds. We are constantly working on a solution to this crisis, and I'm open to your suggestions.

Today I intend to:

Cancel all active orders
Restore the site and in particular enable PLN withdrawal
Your suggestions and ideas are welcome.

I would like to inform you that I had several conversations with potential investors from home and abroad. https://www.bitomat.pl service is on sale for 17,000 BTC. If you are interested, please contact us at bartek@szabat.com.

Regards

Bartek Szabat

Administrator of https://www.bitomat.pl

rowkey bilbao
Jul 24, 2023
it zsabat place to store your bitcoins

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Boxturret posted:

yeah at least one of the targets didn't live alone so everyone else in the house was to be eliminated if they were in at the time

what a swell guy that ross was

he was a hero, as previously discussed. possibly the greatest hero in american history. he made a website

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I have established that data was lost because settings of the virtual mashine were changed

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Powershift posted:

It's short for "Free Ross, Thank You"

he knew he would be jailed for innocently paying to have competing drug dealers killled

:aaa:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

haveblue posted:

the funniest is still the guy who hosted an exchange on AWS but didn't pay extra for persistence

and then reset the instance himself

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

don't hire the squeaky voiced teen to intimidate people

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
hey now be fair that guy had a full backup of the exchange and all of the files and databases

...which was stored on (and deleted along with) the same aws instance as the main

drk
Jan 16, 2005
dear amazon web services,

please send me wallet.dat from /srv/backup/donotdelete, it was important

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Improbable Lobster posted:

don't hire the squeaky voiced teen to intimidate people

lol

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I've got a buttcoin question. There was some kind of website with a countdown or just a reddit post with calculations of when the difficulty of mining will become so high, it would be easier and more profitable to brute force passwords for random wallets than to mine. Does anyone else remember that?

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Paladinus posted:

I've got a buttcoin question. There was some kind of website with a countdown or just a reddit post with calculations of when the difficulty of mining will become so high, it would be easier and more profitable to brute force passwords for random wallets than to mine. Does anyone else remember that?

no. it would be a lot harder. if you could break the encryption on wallets you could essentially break the entire internet, including banks and the US government/military

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

...! posted:

no. it would be a lot harder. if you could break the encryption on wallets you could essentially break the entire internet, including banks and the US government/military

I get that, but the point, I think, was that mining would inevitably become just too difficult in 25 years or something.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

would it get to the inflection point before all the coins are mined though

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

more falafel please posted:

would it get to the inflection point before all the coins are mined though

it halves each time so like 99.99% of the coins get mined over a a somewhat reasonable time frame then they have to spend hundreds of years for the last few scraps lol

drk
Jan 16, 2005
im pretty sure the entire bitcoin network could run on a 90s pentium shitbox, there's nothing inherently too difficult about the math and the maximum transaction rate is like 3kB/s

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

drk posted:

im pretty sure the entire bitcoin network could run on a 90s pentium shitbox, there's nothing inherently too difficult about the math and the maximum transaction rate is like 3kB/s

https://vimeo.com/62560281

it can be run on an NES

drk
Jan 16, 2005
well, a NES with a raspberry pi attached, sure

the actual blockchain part of bitcoin isnt that complex by modern computing standards but its definitely not running on an 8 bit computer with 2KB of RAM

JAnon
Jul 16, 2023

it can also be run on a PS2 running Linux:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oh9rcrofB0I

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

also it was the wrong house and the person they were trying to target lived next door lol

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Jonny Nox posted:

stolen, unlinked, from Reddit.

don’t even feel bad

for a glorious moment I thought it had happened again

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
the bitcoin network artificially slows itself down based on how many nodes are hashing. so the underlying math is not hard but the quantity of it is why so much electricity gets wasted mining

if the sun hits earth with a massive EMP and wipes out all but like 3 computers, you really could mine bitcoins on an NES and expect to get some return from it. at least until the roving hordes found you

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

haveblue posted:

the bitcoin network artificially slows itself down based on how many nodes are hashing. so the underlying math is not hard but the quantity of it is why so much electricity gets wasted mining

if the sun hits earth with a massive EMP and wipes out all but like 3 computers, you really could mine bitcoins on an NES and expect to get some return from it. at least until the roving hordes found you

It only adjusts every 2016 blocks, and with the current difficulty, with something like a 3090 it would take around 113 million years to hit the first difficulty adjustment.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Powershift posted:

with something like a 3090 it would take around 113 million years to hit the first difficulty adjustment.

now do the nes

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

drk posted:

now do the nes

At least 30 more years.

At least.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

i have bad news, it would take the length of sam bankman-fried's prison sentence after he's done confessing his crimes for the nes to do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

ah but what of people doing the hashes by hand and transmitting the results via smoke signals!