Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

imo all films and tv shows should be available to stream directly from the Library of Congress

i think a sufficiently broad reading of the enumerated powers of congress would agree with you; i think that fits in nicely with the goals of clause 7 and congress's responsibility regarding post offices and post roads

mr dejoy, please post these bits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Inflation means bigger numbers which means we're Winning

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
ngl i hope dvds make a comeback

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

Monkey Fracas posted:

Like some services advertise "4k streams" but they're always loving upscaled/compression artifacted anyway yeah?

Only way is playing from physical media if you want all them pixels

I can't imagine 8k would make much of a loving difference unless your panel is as big as a roadside billboard

what really matters is how far away from the TV you are. you can sit closer to a 4k screen without it affecting the quality, for example a 40 inch tv is good for 5-8.5 feet with 1080 but 3.5 and 5 feet for 4k. 4k is better for big houses because a large 1080 like 70 inches needs 9-14.5 feet but 4k needs 6-9 feet. otherwise you aren't gonna be able to tell a difference

https://www.avu.ca/video/perfecting-proximity-finding-optimal-tv-viewing-distance/

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

selec posted:

Liberalism (small L variety here) really is a mental illness.

“we got a societal epidemic going on, what we need to focus on is individual action, like we did with Covid, which worked out great. just put the onus on individuals to resist multibillion dollar industries that are pitted against them, that’s the plan.”

Give kids unproven drugs vs take personal responsibility. Always blame someone else for your problems!

Oh it’s so hard to not walk out of the grocery store with junk for your kids :rolleyes:

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

ngl i hope dvds make a comeback

https://x.com/helencasey1970/status/1714154865088229664

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

i'm gonna be raiding best buy at the end of december before those all get slashed to poo poo with a box cutter

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

"I SAW TWO GUYS ON THE BEACH MAKIN A SPREADSHEET AN THA SPREADSHEET STARED AT ME!"

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

This is like getting excited about a new edition of a college textbook; I just don't get Apple people.

it's just capitalism. you see this for all sorts of new products, electronics, shoes, whatever the gently caress

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

actionjackson posted:

it's just capitalism. you see this for all sorts of new products, electronics, shoes, whatever the gently caress

gotta get excited for something

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Number back down to 420. So much for the tech rebubble!

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Vox Nihili posted:

Number back down to 420. So much for the tech rebubble!

JAY

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Blue-Ray lol

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.

Glumwheels posted:

Give kids unproven drugs vs take personal responsibility. Always blame someone else for your problems!

Oh it’s so hard to not walk out of the grocery store with junk for your kids :rolleyes:

Yes?

These companies have thrown billions of dollars into researching how to make the junk as addictive as possible

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

I can't even stop walking out of the grocery store without junk for myself

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

That article didn't mention it, but this includes their web site.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2023/10/13/best-buy-no-longer-sell-dvds-after-holiday-season/71173846007/

Like, if you don't want to devote shelf space to movies, OK, whatever. Turn your stores into glorified extended warranty shops or whatever it is you think you're doing, but not even stocking discs online is just dumb.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

FlapYoJacks posted:

:goofy: you can replace those batteries with a hair dryer, a few pics, and a small suction cup. The batteries are $30 and come with the tools to open the phone. It’s a 30 minute DIY project.

i’ll take your word for it but even so, a “30 minute diy project” plus proprietary tools to replace a battery should be illegal

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Paradoxish posted:

Also a lot of people are absolutely unwilling to admit that the era of massive leaps in consumer technology is basically over, because that really became an identity for a huge number of people. You can even see this showing up in tech journalism, where you'll routinely have phone reviewers barely disguising their ennui with the latest whatever despite it being objectively great in every possible respect.

The reality is that no one needs a slightly better camera or marginally improved performance. It doesn't matter. If it wasn't for insane bloat in site design thanks to advertising and lazy as poo poo app developers then it's arguable that even fairly large performance jumps wouldn't have mattered. I use my iPad a lot for work so I had to replace my ancient 2nd gen Air when the growing screen crack finally made the thing unusable and the step up to an M1 Pro was barely noticeable even though I use that thing for a lot more intense tasks than content consumption.

The endless upgrade cycle obsession has been around in nerds since forever, but Apple really popularized it for the mainstream and people don't want to let go even though it's clearly over.

Growing up in the 80s and 90s I was absolutely obsessed with technology and computers (I know, shocking for a goon). One of the things that feels different now is how uncertain the near future is technologically. As a kid it felt like there were all of these emerging technologies that you could be confident in working as advertised and having a huge impact. Lots of ink was spilled about how great and awesome things like CD-ROMs, the internet, and cellphones were going to be, and it wasn't just hype. Yeah there were some duds. Some people thought Oculus-level VR was right around in the corner in the late 80s.

It feels like the smartphone was The Last Technology, and now the future is uncertain as to what near-term advancements we can expect technologically. But you can't get funding for research without promising some payoff for investors, so we just have these hype bubbles, self-driving cars that are not self-driving, and slightly faster iPhones.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

NyetscapeNavigator posted:

Growing up in the 80s and 90s I was absolutely obsessed with technology and computers (I know, shocking for a goon). One of the things that feels different now is how uncertain the near future is technologically. As a kid it felt like there were all of these emerging technologies that you could be confident in working as advertised and having a huge impact. Lots of ink was spilled about how great and awesome things like CD-ROMs, the internet, and cellphones were going to be, and it wasn't just hype. Yeah there were some duds. Some people thought Oculus-level VR was right around in the corner in the late 80s.

It feels like the smartphone was The Last Technology, and now the future is uncertain as to what near-term advancements we can expect technologically. But you can't get funding for research without promising some payoff for investors, so we just have these hype bubbles, self-driving cars that are not self-driving, and slightly faster iPhones.

And now you see silicon valley desperately trying to make dotcom boom 3 happen with ever more crazy poo poo like metaverse , Bitcoin, NFTs, and AI. Except now instead of making a technology people actually like and want to use first, they want to go straight to rent seeking and speculation immediately. They were establishing property values in metaverse before anyone was even using it.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Half Price Books is the merchant of all media. Just go there. They have a huge dvd selection

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

The next big bubble is "flying cars" aka oversized quadcopter drones

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

iphones are pretty easy to repair and you can go to a cell phone repair place to swap batteries for you. androids are a mix. especially with glass backs.

also i think most phones will stop software updates after 3-5 years? that and batteries are the only reason to get a new phone.

computers/tvs feel like they hit a max. i dont want more hd its too much. everything looks too real

the phone releases are so incremental I just replaced my 12’s battery. I’ll probably get a new one once it isn’t supported anymore.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Glumwheels posted:

Oh hey, speaking of your headass lib opinions, did you ever contend with this? Or did you just avoid it by walking into the street for a few weeks to scream "CHUD" at people who wished that child hunger hadn't increased at historic rates in this country during a Dem administration?

Rectal Death Adept posted:

Weird how Trump oversaw the largest increase in green card issuance since the Bush administration and had more of them issued than any year of the Obama administration until 2020 for some weird, unknowable reason.

At least we can all agree that this is all Trump himself, personally, and that literally nothing else happened in the world that could have caused you to experience a delay in the green card process in the past few years.

Literally no other factors beyond Joe Biden's personal intervention could be affecting those processing times. Especially not falling numbers of green card applications which would help clear backlogs that mysteriously developed in 2020, again for those unknowable reasons.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Lol

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

haha

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

The effectiveness of consumer rear end drones in Ukraine and Palestine has convinced me that's the Next Technology worth being a hobbyist for.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Beached Whale posted:

Ray tracing is a scheme cooked up by Big Video Card to get nerds to drop thousands on pointless upgrades

So was moving to 1440p

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Nobody needs that much p

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Then why are my balls so capacious?!

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Akratic Method posted:

it's to make room for the candy since you are a pinata. sorry you had to find out this way.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

lmao if I was taking a beach vacation and mattyglasias walked past then started talking to me about anything I’d immediately [REDACTED]

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
bet you wouldnt do a god drat thing

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
i would spit in his face

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
id beg to polish that egg

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Cuttlefush posted:

bet you wouldnt do a god drat thing

I'd like to do the most obnoxious nerd voice I can and see how many times I can say WELL ACTUALLY while talking to him

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

anime was right posted:

median wealth going up means nothing if prices went up even more but, because one number went up, we can safely ignore the other, worse number.

Also the other number stopped going up as fast as six months ago if you selectively ignore all these important price categories so really it's almost like there's no problems at all

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Akratic Method posted:

It's an evolutionary holdover, to store pee for the winter.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I was talking to these cool guys on the beach and tried to use my Twitter arguments on them and for some reason it wasn't working??? I'm assuming it's because the media brainwashed them bc otherwise I don't know it makes no sense

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

SardonicTyrant posted:

It's an evolutionary holdover, to store pee for the winter.

To expand on this, the extra pee in the winter is to serve as thermal mass, and in summer as a heatsink since you can jettison the pee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I feel like I'd be compelled to pretend I was with him on everything, and try to work him into admitting he posts poo poo he knows is explicitly dumb and wrong both for negative attention and to cape for his paymasters, but secretly I was recording it all on my phone so I could post it online and blow away his plausible deniability smokescreen so as to permanently remove him from all future cultural conversations.