Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slowdive
Jun 9, 2016
Started Pantheon S2 and Scavengers Reign, both seem really promising so far, especially Pantheon. There's hardly anything quite as satisfying as good, high-concept, but still fun Sci-Fi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

mutantIke posted:

AQUA TEEN RETURNS 11/26

Aqua Teen won't EVER be canceled!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The cavalcade of wacky Adventure Time guest voice actors continues to surprise and delight. Ron Perlman, NPH, Brian Posehn, Ron Lynch, the aforementioned Emo Philips, Stephen Root, Lou Ferrigno, Weird Al, and here comes Andy Merrill just being Brak again :buddy:

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Slowdive posted:

Started Pantheon S2 and Scavengers Reign, both seem really promising so far, especially Pantheon. There's hardly anything quite as satisfying as good, high-concept, but still fun Sci-Fi

I'm so happy Pantheon got a second season to finish it off. I resorted to the short stories to get my fill and compared to the show they end in a pretty unsatisfactory place (some spoilers for season 2):

The short stories just follow Maddie's story. Part 1 is the revelation that her dad is a UI, part 2 is the war between the UI's and part 3 is the isolation and shutdown of the internet and the revelation of her UI sister.

The show obviously has a much larger cast and goes a lot further with the concept.

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006

Data Graham posted:

The cavalcade of wacky Adventure Time guest voice actors continues to surprise and delight. Ron Perlman, NPH, Brian Posehn, Ron Lynch, the aforementioned Emo Philips, Stephen Root, Lou Ferrigno, Weird Al, and here comes Andy Merrill just being Brak again :buddy:

Having all those people who I roughly knew to be talents (including learning later on SpongeBob was Ice King) made everything feel special for me.

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
Scavengers Regin kicks rear end.

I checked out the release schedule, and they're going to be releasing 3 episodes every week.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Oh yeah, and the one with James Baxter the Horse blew my mind, backstory-wise :aaaaa:

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006
A horse? gently caress you a horse could never be good. As a horse. Mannnnnnnnnn.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
I like that whenever Gregg Turkington voice acts he just does Neil Hamburger. The news reporter in Gravity Falls, the shrub in Adventure Time. He has one voice and he knows how to use it.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Does Scavenger Reign have a coherent narrative or is it mostly just a trippy experience? Because the trailers make it look like the latter. Its fine if people like that, I'm just not really interested in that sort of thing.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The plot is what if mobius made a cartoon?

THIS_IS_FINE
May 21, 2001

Slippery Tilde
Only watched the first episode so far but extremely impressed with Scavengers Reign. Like others I've also started S2 of Pantheon and am glad it didn't get scrapped since the last I heard it had been cancelled.

Edit: Scav Reign E3 Holy poo poo the little humanoid alien in the bramble wall, such a cool scene.

THIS_IS_FINE fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Oct 20, 2023

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

TwoPair posted:

Yeah I'm usually all about stories like this but something's just not clicking to me. Maybe because it doesn't feel like there's an end game. Like, maybe if they teased the exit but didn't show it to be bullshit? As it stands it seems like the only end is maybe they make contact with the outside world and/or the game turns off (if the last shot is what they're going with)? Maybe they do like that one episode of Black Mirror where the trapped game characters escape onto the freedom of the internet?

It feels very Hazbin Hotel in that there's a bunch of characters with a whole bunch of merch already out and a lot of people are going crazy with fanart and stuff.

I'm having the same experience where it's not clicking for me. The pilot wants to establish a whole bunch of characters, but doesn't really do so that effectively, since I can't figure out what the main character's personality is other than deer in headlights bug-eyed horror reactions that last too long and get used over and over and over again as if we don't know the situation is supposed to be existentially horrifying by the premise it's established already.

They almost gave themselves a chance to show what they'd like regular episodes or adventures to feel like with our protag denying the situation and claiming it's a dream, so potentially we could see what she'd potentially be like on an adventure without the premise weighing down on her mind and her personality could shine through via new situational context. Hell, she could do the whole thing thinking she'll wake up once she finishes the task, and then get stuck in a situation where she directly has to choose helping or taking the exit, etc. instead of dragging that choice on for a while due to the aftermath of a situation neither of them were involved with until that point. There is no real tension to the exit being real or not, because it being fake was just flat-out telegraphed and explained earlier.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Does Scavenger Reign have a coherent narrative or is it mostly just a trippy experience? Because the trailers make it look like the latter. Its fine if people like that, I'm just not really interested in that sort of thing.

It's only 1/4 of the way through the season, so who knows in the long term, but there seems to be an overall narrative and each character is getting progressively more backstory.

Re: trippy visuals--the show is very willing to slow things down and let its characters (and the audience) marvel at just how *weird* an alien world is. IMO, your interest in the show will be directly proportional to your interest in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=io731XY8fH8

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
agreed on the general weakness of circus’ premise/cast, though the performances are all strong

Jax is probably going to be the fan favorite just because his dialogue isn’t mostly panicked stammering

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Oxxidation posted:

agreed on the general weakness of circus’ premise/cast, though the performances are all strong

Jax is probably going to be the fan favorite just because his dialogue isn’t mostly panicked stammering
Yeah, the voice actors aren't necessarily the problem, but they aren't given a lot of range to work with, and the overall timing just steps on the jokes that should have worked.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Man, strongly disagree on the character's in Amazing Digital Circus not having recognizable personalities. I thought they did a great job of establishing a bunch of cartoon archetypes that can be fleshed out later. Each of the characters has a "seven dwarves" thing going on where their core trait can be summed up in one word: Pomni = Anxious, Ragatha = Optimistic, Jax = rear end in a top hat, Gangle = sad, Kinger = eccentric, Zooble = apathetic, Bubble = annoying, Caine = unhinged. It's not that complex, but it doesn't need to be to make the shows style of humor work, and there's room to explore and add layers to the characters in future episodes (As we've already see in the first episode with Ragatha who's optimism is pretty clearly a coping mechanism to mask and repress her feelings of dread and despair).

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I watched about 10-15 minutes of it (Circus) and it didn't really grab me. Too garish and empty.

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie

IShallRiseAgain posted:

It has a coherent plot that's slowly being revealed.

Two of the characters have gotten some really interesting backstories fleshed out through flashbacks and other plot devices.

So far, it's feeling more driven by worldbuilding and character development than by a complex plot, but there's enough characterization and ongoing mysteries in the first 3 eps to make it investing imho

discoukulele fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Oct 20, 2023

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie

THIS_IS_FINE posted:

Only watched the first episode so far but extremely impressed with Scavengers Reign. Like others I've also started S2 of Pantheon and am glad it didn't get scrapped since the last I heard it had been cancelled.

Edit: Scav Reign E3 Holy poo poo the little humanoid alien in the bramble wall, such a cool scene.

that thing is featured in the short that the series is based on with a different twist to the concept

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TRzemJbUsw

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006
So Digital Circus is a meta thing by a bunch of youtube animators and now it all makes sense.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

the story for digital circus is fine but the voice acting is fantastic

i guaran-loving-tee the entire character of caine (including the VA) exists because of this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72tHaw7Hxgs

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

My only complaints are that the timing for jokes could have been improved (way too much lingering to get to the punchline) and I don't really find Jax's archetype compelling (I want to say it's worn out but for the life of me I can't think of a concrete example from other media right now) but he comes off like the staff's favorite just watching the short so I feel like he's going to be prominent if this show continues.

I liked what I saw from the other characters so far, at least. Cane's easily my favorite of the group because of his interactions with Bubble though

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
"What if we do Danganronpa, but you can't kill anyone?"

I'm not sure if Jax is meant to come off as a snarky jokester or a genuine sadist who gets away with it because he happens to be a cartoon rabbit. I mean that as an observation, not a complaint. I'm 100% okay with him being a deliberately cruel person that everyone just has to put up with because they have no other option, as long as it's intentional.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

My guess is that he's sadistic partly to keep himself from giving in to despair. I suppose the show needs some kind of antagonistic force but it'd work better for me if he gets some kind of comeuppance eventually.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Everyone shut the gently caress up and get the gently caress on this animation classic: https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1715409952251269158

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Hilda will also at long last return for its final season this December:

https://twitter.com/thatlukeperson/status/1703765444870406249

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Larryb posted:

Hilda will also at long last return for its final season this December:

https://twitter.com/thatlukeperson/status/1703765444870406249

Oh wow that's so unexpected, it's been so long!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Warbird posted:

Everyone shut the gently caress up and get the gently caress on this animation classic: https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1715409952251269158

Uggghhhh I know it's bad but I watched that poo poo so much as a kid nostalgia is blinding me in a big way

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

images you can hear

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
Just watched the first ep of Scavengers, show good

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Scavengers Reign is the coolest poo poo I have seen in years. Somehow is living up to and surpassing my high expectations.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

TwoPair posted:

Uggghhhh I know it's bad but I watched that poo poo so much as a kid nostalgia is blinding me in a big way

"Now I've got your money!"

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer

I'll never get over the fact that this shows up in Undertale. Toby Fox is a real one

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

mutantIke posted:

I'll never get over the fact that this shows up in Undertale. Toby Fox is a real one

I forget, where in that game does it appear again?

Kaewan
May 29, 2008
Scavenger’s Reign is filling the void left by Raised by Wolves being cancelled.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Larryb posted:

I forget, where in that game does it appear again?

the sound effect is used in mad dummy's fight

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Kaewan posted:

Scavenger’s Reign is filling the void left by Raised by Wolves being cancelled.
Pleas don't let HBO know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

FireWorksWell posted:

My guess is that he's sadistic partly to keep himself from giving in to despair. I suppose the show needs some kind of antagonistic force but it'd work better for me if he gets some kind of comeuppance eventually.

It's explicit in the dialogue. "I'm fine as long as I can see funny things happen to other people." His coping mechanism is being an aloof, sarcastic irony-poisoned jag. If only they had internet access, he'd be a perfect goon. :v: