Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
Marinated, chopped and thrown into tacos, I'm down. Out of a can? Maybe not

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Okay the actual single whole pig snout in the can may have jump scared me. It's possible.

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA
Does the can say it specifically contains the snout, or does it generally promise pork?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Could be worse. Could be long pig snout. Much smaller

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
Pork jowls are good. I'm guessing snouts would be leaner.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Fabulous Knight posted:

Okay, NATO stockpiles are being depleted. That sounds grim and honestly I did not see that coming. I guess this must be because Ukraine is still using old leftover stuff as of right now and starting/restarting ammunition production takes time, and can take as long as two years after the start of the conflict?

Or alternatively, "how the gently caress is this possible".

The fact of the matter is that Putin can throw infinite blood and treasure at this, and will as long as he's breathing. There is no apparatus to check him.
Countries with more responsible state structures are unable to do this for a variety of reasons. Combine that with the fact that we all thought a modern war would be 3 weeks of extreme intensity combined arms and here we are.

If Canada lost a BTG sized force of the CAF, it would probably cause the government to collapse in disgrace* and the leadership to get shaken up if not removed completely. Russia does this like, every week. The structure of the Russian system is simply so that the leader can waste as much as he wants, for any purpose, and nobody can stop him.

Think of it this way too: The west and NATO are unwilling to give Ukraine arms if it's to the degree it limits our own ability to respond to threats or provide a solid counter to whatever other peers we're worried about. Putin doesn't care, he's already wasted enough to ensure that Russia is no longer a peer threat militarily to anybody. Normally in war, you can only invest as much to win as would ensure nobody else can immediately push you over afterwards.

*I don't mean a coup or whatever I mean a non-confidence motion.

SRQ fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Oct 21, 2023

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Ukraine War: look at this prig's huge snout

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

HonorableTB posted:

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

yes

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

HonorableTB posted:

Lmao

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

SRQ posted:

The fact of the matter is that Putin can throw infinite blood and treasure at this, and will as long as he's breathing. There is no apparatus to check him.

This is the sad truth of it, isn't it? The people who have the best chance to change this are his praetorian Rosgvardia, but from what I hear and know he keeps them well-off enough that they won't risk derailing their gravy train.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Toxic Mental posted:

Okay the actual single whole pig snout in the can may have jump scared me. It's possible.

I showed it to my bf while we were eating hot dogs in the Costco food court and he almost broke up with me lol

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

beer_war posted:

Hell, just yesterday there was a story that the US redirected thousands of artillery shells meant to go to Ukraine to Israel.
Well, you see, any reasonable observer would say that Hamas is to Israel what Russia is to Ukraine: an absolute existential threat with the overwhelming force to back it up. It's not like Israel is a prosperous and highly militarized state up against a ragtag group of impoverished and ill-equipped extremists in, at best, technicals—without unconditional US support, the IDF might collapse tomorrow!

Ukraine is clearly in a much more stable and sustainable position, hence the diversion of resources and strict conditions on aid.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

god please help me posted:

Does the can say it specifically contains the snout, or does it generally promise pork?

Can says pig SNOUTS. So there might be another one below the top one.

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

Zero VGS posted:

I showed it to my bf while we were eating hot dogs in the Costco food court and he almost broke up with me lol

I'll bet this somehow costs more than $1.50.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

Charlz Guybon posted:

If true, Russian ability to respond with attack helicopters to Ukranian armored movements has been gutted
https://twitter.com/GeoConfirmed/status/1715132980652310662

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
https://t.me/warhistoryalconafter/127909

Russians bragging about this KA-52 that 'survived' the ATACMS attack. Now with increased cooling performance up and down the airframe.

All You Can Eat
Aug 27, 2004

Abundance is the dullest desire.
That can wasn't food, it's a power bank. I recognize a Russian power outlet anywhere

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Scorchy posted:

https://t.me/warhistoryalconafter/127909

Russians bragging about this KA-52 that 'survived' the ATACMS attack. Now with increased cooling performance up and down the airframe.

You mean speedholes?

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
When it comes to putting Russian materiel losses into perspective with regard to their stockpiles, is there anything better/more current than this Wiki page and similar ones? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_equipment_of_the_Russian_Ground_Forces

Just looking for something to help me understand how significant it is when, e.g., Reporting from Ukraine says Russia lost x helicopters or y tanks of a certain type.

marshalljim fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Oct 21, 2023

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1715426614681514215
Just kill everyone that doesn't blindly support the Czar, what could go wrong?

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

marshalljim posted:

When it comes to putting Russian materiel losses into perspective with regard to their stockpiles, is there anything better/more current than this Wiki page and similar ones? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_equipment_of_the_Russian_Ground_Forces

Just looking for something to help me understand how significant it is when, e.g., Reporting from Ukraine says Russia lost x helicopters or y tanks of a certain type.

We’re going to fighting the robot space wars of 2235 and Russia will be fielding 1891/30’s. It still is unendingly funny that there’s a gun on there from a country that was 2 countries ago.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

marshalljim posted:

No one knows the exact numbers for sure, but while all of that is still listed on an inventory sheet somewhere, the majority of it is

1. So old that it is obsolete, see the Mosin-Nagant rifles supplied to "separatists", T-55, T-62, and T-72 tanks on the front lines, BTR-50 and MTLB with them, the ancient trucks mobilised from Siberia
2. Rotted away to scrap due to age and/or improper storage, see lots of recent AKM visuals, all the worn out tyres on wheeled vehicles
3. Has been stripped for parts to sell on the black market, or sold wholesale, or stripped for parts to field repair the same item deployed in Ukraine, see basically everything but especially all the artillery barrels stripped from depot units
4. Brand new, which makes it of questionable utility because no capability claims can be taken seriously from a mafia state, and they've made hardly any of it already and can't make more because it relies on sanctioned western components, see the T-14 Armata, Pantsir, the electronic warfare units, every modern rotor and fixed wing aircraft, Kinzhal missiles

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Oct 21, 2023

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
This article will answer your questions

https://www.newsweek.com/firepower-russia-military-ukraine-war-1818596

Also, as of July 4 this year the Russian army was estimated to have lost half of its entire effective combat power in Ukraine

https://www.ft.com/content/8cd1c388-6fb9-497b-a8a9-14b6ea21ede2

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
Thanks, guys.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

please note that the device used to estimate lost Russian effective combat power is only capable of readings up to halfway.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

shadow puppet of a posted:

please note that the device used to estimate lost Russian effective combat power is only capable of readings up to halfway.

russian army losses: not great, not terrible

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

I'm just wondering if Armchair Copelord still has his Mao Zedong haircut lmao

Expectation:

Reality:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://x.com/bayraktar_1love/status/1715453210838609969?s=20

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Someone get that tyre a hat

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019
Edit: nwm

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Fabulous Knight posted:

Okay, NATO stockpiles are being depleted.

Excess NATO stockpiles were largely depleted as of mid to late last year. Most NATO countries only kept enough shells on hand to fight 1-2 months of war.

A lot of what is coming into Ukraine now is fresh out a factory somewhere in the US, Eastern Europe, or from S. Korea stockpiles. Australia has a plant producing a lot of ammo too I believe.

Perun has some good vids on this and most of the hang up isn't in production or existing stockpiles.

Its political in nature as many of these countries (Western European) are, for one reason or another, not willing to commit enough funds as they could to help Ukraine here.

Eastern European countries are a different story. Estonia and Poland have been punching far above their weight in donating military aid though pretty much everyone is still dwarfed by the US when it comes to total tonnage of material and money.

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Brandon's growing on me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPvWK8kiaVk

edit: there's footage from the evacuation which might get the heart rate going but nothing too hosed up.

Splorange fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Oct 21, 2023

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

You gonna be glad you got that pig snout when the winter comes

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

rather have a beer snout tbh

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Army brass wanted to increase the men's morale by sending this:

But the procurement officer drank it all himself and sent the ersatz product.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://mil.in.ua/en/news/dprk-hands-over-350-000-shells-to-russia/

quote:

North Korea has delivered 350,000 artillery shells to Russia for the war against Ukraine.

Col. Ants Kiviselg, head of the Estonian Defense Forces (EDF) Intelligence Center, reported on this.

According to him, Russia has four million artillery shells, enough for a year of low-intensity war.

“If we have seen so far that Russia fires about 10,000 shells in one day, then the amount of ammunition that North Korea has sent should be enough for a month and a half,” says Ants Kiviselg.

According to the Estonian military, the main areas of focus for Russian troops in Ukraine are now two sections of the frontline, namely Avdiivka-Marinka and Kupiansk-Lyman.
Norks handed over approx 1.5 months worth of artillery shells to the vatniks in that big transfer.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

broke: special military operation

woke: low intensity war