Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

We all know last night's strike zone was bad, but turns out it was really bad

https://twitter.com/UmpireAuditor/status/1715256719125934212?s=20

edit: this goes for both sides, save your takes

shyduck fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Oct 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Dan Lasagna

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
The calls! :qq:

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

I think the worst call made all night was when The Phillies decided to pitch to Ketel Marte. How's that on the ump

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
It's hard to say that it's wrong that my life revolves around my dog when she is cuter and more interesting than me
Pillbug
https://twitter.com/UmpScorecards/status/1715374914604019737

https://twitter.com/UmpScorecards/status/1715375056279261601

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Forrest on Fire posted:

I think the worst call made all night was when The Phillies decided to pitch to Ketel Marte. How's that on the ump
If someone didn't load the bases for him then maybe they wouldn't have had to!

shyduck fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Oct 20, 2023

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ryne Stanek threw one pitch, got two outs and the W and I'm wondering: why don't more pitchers simply do this?

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Forrest on Fire posted:

Intentionally walking in the winning run is the real galaxy brain move. Will throw the D'backs off their game.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Sab0921 posted:

Intentionally walking in the winning run is the real galaxy brain move. Will throw the D'backs off their game.

Sab gets it. The DBacks aren't winning a series where they need to win at least one in Philly. Play the long game

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

HOUSTON ASTROS. INEVITABLE.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/RedditCFB/status/1715526095905370331

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I’m just glad the playoffs let me root against my fellow Aggies posters

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002
I had the feeling the Rangers bullpen would give me an almost Game 6 2011 WS-level dick punch at some point this postseason the deeper they went in the playoffs and it was still worse than what I braced myself for.

Sports just doesn’t feel worth it sometimes.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I think Eovaldi gives the Rangers a good chance in game 6 but idk what they do if it gets to game 7. Montgomery on 3 days rest? Give Scherzer another shot? Or the most cursed option, a bullpen game?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Scherzer's a future Hall of Famer so of course he gets the start.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I think Eovaldi gives the Rangers a good chance in game 6 but idk what they do if it gets to game 7. Montgomery on 3 days rest? Give Scherzer another shot? Or the most cursed option, a bullpen game?

How about Martin Perez?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Ragnarok the Red posted:

I had the feeling the Rangers bullpen would give me an almost Game 6 2011 WS-level dick punch at some point this postseason the deeper they went and it was still worse than what I braced myself for.

nothing eclipses 2011 but this reassures me that i should just stop

there was a definite arrogance in the metroplex after game 2 and i don't know where it came from. youve watched the team, youve seen what it does, why would you dare

the same fuckin morons chanted we want houston

i dont get arrogance in sports. I never have, and I never will. If you believe there are baseball gods (and anyone who doesn't is a fuckin fool) then why would you tempt everything

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Zero chance of Montgomery. That would be two days rest not three. Maybe out of the pen with a late narrow lead

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Ragnarok the Red posted:

I had the feeling the Rangers bullpen would give me an almost Game 6 2011 WS-level dick punch at some point this postseason the deeper they went in the playoffs and it was still worse than what I braced myself for.

I don’t think any us would get invested in spots if we didn’t have some deep-seated desire for low-stakes grief.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Shinjobi posted:

nothing eclipses 2011 but this reassures me that i should just stop

there was a definite arrogance in the metroplex after game 2 and i don't know where it came from. youve watched the team, youve seen what it does, why would you dare

the same fuckin morons chanted we want houston

i dont get arrogance in sports. I never have, and I never will. If you believe there are baseball gods (and anyone who doesn't is a fuckin fool) then why would you tempt everything

I can't remember if it was 2005 or 2009 but before the national championship football game they were doing interviews with players while they held the trophy and I remember thinking I wouldn't touch that thing if I was in a full radiation suit, that is crazy.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

zoux posted:

I can't remember if it was 2005 or 2009 but before the national championship football game they were doing interviews with players while they held the trophy and I remember thinking I wouldn't touch that thing if I was in a full radiation suit, that is crazy.

I don't put too much stock in "touchin the trophy" stuff unless it's like, you pick up the whole goddamn thing and dance around with it. Put me in a similar situation, I'd touch the trophy. Might be the closest I ever get to the real thing.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

See that's loser thinking! Punishable by the football gods!

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Intruder posted:

Zero chance of Montgomery. That would be two days rest not three. Maybe out of the pen with a late narrow lead

You’re right, I miscounted. Scherzer seems most likely. Again, if it gets that far.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
if there exists a diety that won't even let me place a palm on a trophy then JRPGs need be real

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Who was it who posted “I can’t believe the Rangers are going to win the World Series” late in G6 in 2011? Everyone jumped all over them in the moment, but it was too late. I think about that maybe every couple of months, in disbelief anyone could watch sports and say such a thing.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

MrMidnight posted:

HOUSTON ASTROS. INEVITABLE.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

You’re right, I miscounted. Scherzer seems most likely. Again, if it gets that far.

Dunning seems like the best choice he was by far the most successful out of Scherzer Heaney and himself

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

:911:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/MLBMetrics/status/1715536252043247842

Yes yes I'm sure it's all very dramatic but I'm developing an ulcer

LongTimeFirstTime
Sep 29, 2021

zoux posted:

By the baseball gods, Astros... my heart and zoux's stomach can't take much more of this.

That was freaking... just unbelievable.

This is a chance to either repeat or overcome the 2019 WS history right here. Ofc I'm rooting for the latter, but... I've already accepted that the Phillies will be beating whoever wins the Battle of Texas, October 2023, so...

Let the chips fall where they may.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

edit not gdt

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

the only way for the rangers to win this series now is for it to become the second in history with no home wins so at least the Astros will make history yet again in that case :v:

(that'd hurt more than if the Rangers had won tonight)

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
There won't be a game 7. The second eovaldi is out that'll be it

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
poo poo I think I love Altuve

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Gorman Thomas posted:

poo poo I think I love Altuve

many people are saying this

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/MLBMetrics/status/1715536252043247842

why you gotta keep grinding salt into that wound

Intruder posted:

many people are saying this
Nobody outside of Houston is saying this

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

:popclap:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Some Numbers posted:

Nobody outside of Houston is saying this

I literally just quoted one :colbert:

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Shinjobi posted:

There won't be a game 7. The second eovaldi is out that'll be it

That certainly hasn’t been the case for his other starts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I hate the Astros, but I refuse to use the stupid cheating thing as cheap ammo. It’s the fans who suck poo poo. Calling in to Waco sports talk radio circa 2005 and asserting their supremacy in the state like they’d won anything at all at that point in history.