Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Most good lies have some truth in em. I know he doesn't have the aes sedai literally-cant-lie thing but even so I figured he messed with the tea to only show the BAD parts of Mat's past lives. Ie, the visions were true just mega incomplete since (as he finds out later) he was actually a hero too.

For whatever reason it reads weirder to me if the whole thing was a total fabrication.

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Oct 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Couple of things. Rusty wheels live watch with Matt (head of rusty wheel,h Daniel green (big book tuber) and Brandon Sanderson is brutal to watch. Everyday N words watch party on the other hand was a delight.

I agreed even with a couple of BS notes about the final (need more rand arching) but DG being insufferable now that he’s big and written a couple of mid level fantasy novels that sold well because he’s big o know YouTube continues to make me roll my eyes.

As for my thoughts. M saying “I would let a 1000 die” is again her being great with her words. Not saying she would kill. Same with her destroying the ship, and so on.

I wouldn’t have minded more rand this season, but he’s playing it fantastically. Rest of the main cast are also utterly fantastic. The opening theme song coming back for this episode… so good.

Negative notes/things that could be better. I wanted more clarity with Rand stabbing/killing at the end. It kind of works but just let it breathe makes little more sense as a book reader. The reversal collar also almost works, but needs a bit more clarity.

Battles could always use more extras, but I get that’s a budget thing. Main music theme is great, but play it more when Rand does cool poo poo, not just M.

And that’s it. Great second season.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

LionArcher posted:

The opening theme song coming back for this episode… so good.

I liked the symbolism of the opening theme coming back, which is full of threads weaving together, in the episode when everyone finally comes together.

Edit: Meme unrelated

CainFortea fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Oct 13, 2023

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

LionArcher posted:

Couple of things. Rusty wheels live watch with Matt (head of rusty wheel,h Daniel green (big book tuber) and Brandon Sanderson is brutal to watch. Everyday N words watch party on the other hand was a delight.

I agreed even with a couple of BS notes about the final (need more rand arching) but DG being insufferable now that he’s big and written a couple of mid level fantasy novels that sold well because he’s big o know YouTube continues to make me roll my eyes.

Yeah, we had this same discussion over in the TBB book spoiler thread. Sanderson made a lot of good points, a few really big really bad point, and just kinda came off like a preening dick, which he did a mea culpa for this morning on Reddit at least. I felt bad for the host because he'd held off on watching it until he could see it with his two friends, and then they just kinda ruined it for him by making GBS threads all over it while he was trying to take it all in for the first time. Just a bad stream set up in general and no one walked away from it looking good.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

If Matt is seriously bummed out about how the watch party went I'm sorry but this was very much a self inflicted wound. Neither Sanderson nor Greene have been shy about their criticisms of the show, and Sanderson apparently straight up told Matt it was a bad idea and needed convincing to do it.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

LionArcher posted:

Battles could always use more extras, but I get that’s a budget thing. Main music theme is great, but play it more when Rand does cool poo poo, not just M.
I found it refreshing that they had the big battle out in daylight. So often (Game of Thrones, for a big example) bigger battles are deliberately set at night, because it is so much easier to hide stuff, get away with shortcuts, clamp down on what is visible in the background , etc.

In most of the fight scenes, they had a lot going on. They did cheat a bit by making the whole battle take place in tight confines in the city, but that made narrative sense.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

DTurtle posted:

I found it refreshing that they had the big battle out in daylight. So often (Game of Thrones, for a big example) bigger battles are deliberately set at night, because it is so much easier to hide stuff, get away with shortcuts, clamp down on what is visible in the background , etc.

In most of the fight scenes, they had a lot going on. They did cheat a bit by making the whole battle take place in tight confines in the city, but that made narrative sense.

BIIIIGTIME this. A really bright well lit set piece like this feels like a unicorn in TV land.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

DTurtle posted:

That's a good point. It was nice to see everything, and it also made sense that the characters could see what was going on.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

The well lit sets of Tar Valon and Falme are feasts for eyes in 4K HDR.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

DTurtle posted:

Oh no, I loved the battle and how claustrophobic it felt in the city. I just wanted a few wide shots of more folks poring into the city gate I think.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
I would like a spin off show of Verin solving mysteries and dunking on her sisters.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

FastestGunAlive posted:

I would like a spin off show of Verin solving mysteries and dunking on her sisters.

And her sister not even noticing the mysteries or the dunking cause she's just cougering around whatever town they're in.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

FastestGunAlive posted:

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

CainFortea posted:

And her sister not even noticing the mysteries or the dunking cause she's just cougering around whatever town they're in.

Golden Girls crossed with Murder, She Wrote

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

NinjaDebugger posted:

Golden Girls crossed with Murder, She Wrote

There's a TTRPG for that.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, we had this same discussion over in the TBB book spoiler thread. Sanderson made a lot of good points, a few really big really bad point, and just kinda came off like a preening dick, which he did a mea culpa for this morning on Reddit at least. I felt bad for the host because he'd held off on watching it until he could see it with his two friends, and then they just kinda ruined it for him by making GBS threads all over it while he was trying to take it all in for the first time. Just a bad stream set up in general and no one walked away from it looking good.

To be fair, Brandon did tell Matt to watch the show first. Told him several times. Also, Matt asked Brando to be there for BTS stuff, not necessarily as a reactor. He tried to tell Matt that wouldn’t really work if it’s his first watch and that he should have tried harder to convince him.

Also, correct me if I’m wrong, Brandon hasn’t actually seen a lot of this season, just read the scripts, right?

FastestGunAlive posted:

Verin needs a spin off and several books all of her own. I love that the best Aes Sedai is Brown.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

KilGrey posted:

To be fair, Brandon did tell Matt to watch the show first. Told him several times. Also, Matt asked Brando to be there for BTS stuff, not necessarily as a reactor. He tried to tell Matt that wouldn’t really work if it’s his first watch and that he should have tried harder to convince him.

Also, correct me if I’m wrong, Brandon hasn’t actually seen a lot of this season, just read the scripts, right?

Yes on all counts. That was Sanderson's first time seeing anything of the season in action, all he'd done was read the scripts and, apparently, had some massive dragout fights with Rafe and co. and his own in-house team of book experts over what to keep, change, or scrap. So he was walking into it mildly unprepared by his own admission. So the entire premise of what Matt wanted to do was just fundamentally flawed.

Sanderson's since come out and said he does indeed like the season, he just has issues with certain choices they've made and things that they didn't do that they should have. But that bell can't be unrung and the headline of "Brandon Sanderson brutally trashes Wheel of Time show on livestream" has gone around the world before "...though he still liked the season" even got its shoes tied.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

KilGrey posted:

Verin needs a spin off and several books all of her own. I love that the best Aes Sedai is Brown.

Her and Alanna are my two favorite AS in the books and they’ve both been great in the show

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
I don't get how the collar worked on the captured Sul'dam when Renna laughs in Egwene's face after being collared, and says it only works on channelers. Was that a retcon or are we supposed to believe that the other captured Sul'dam was also a channeler? otherwise why were Nynaeve and Elayne able to torture her to get information? Did Nynaeve and Elayne end up doing anything useful in the end? Seems like they failed in their task from the Yellow Aja Aes Sedai considering that Egwene didnt need any saving, and they didn't tell anyone that Liandrin is a darkfriend in the end either. In fact the entire Liandrin storyline seems to have petered out even though at least 3 groups of people know. Saved for next season I guess?.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

cmdrk posted:

I don't get how the collar worked on the captured Sul'dam when Renna laughs in Egwene's face after being collared, and says it only works on channelers. Was that a retcon or are we supposed to believe that the other captured Sul'dam was also a channeler? otherwise why were Nynaeve and Elayne able to torture her to get information? Did Nynaeve and Elayne end up doing anything useful in the end? Seems like they failed in their task from the Yellow Aja Aes Sedai considering that Egwene didnt need any saving, and they didn't tell anyone that Liandrin is a darkfriend in the end either. In fact the entire Liandrin storyline seems to have petered out even though at least 3 groups of people know. Saved for next season I guess?.

Well... one of them DID help. Elayne healed Rand from being stabbed by the spear well enough for him to kill Ishmael. Also, as for the collar, I thought that implied that all women can channel, it's just some are weaker than others and never get "noticed" like the Sul'dam. That's wy it worked on the first one that was captured by Nynaeve and Elayne and that's why it worked again on Renna.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
It's not that all women can channel, it's that Suldam are women who can channel but are so weak they don't trigger the selection for getting enslaved

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

cmdrk posted:

I don't get how the collar worked on the captured Sul'dam when Renna laughs in Egwene's face after being collared, and says it only works on channelers. Was that a retcon or are we supposed to believe that the other captured Sul'dam was also a channeler? otherwise why were Nynaeve and Elayne able to torture her to get information?
Egwene directly answers that in the scene: People have different strength/potential for channeling. Existing damane go around and can "feel" channelers, like we saw when the Seanchan rolled into the town and captured Perrin and the others. However, sul‘dam are so weak at channeling that they can’t be detected by the damane. Sul‘dam don’t know that they can channel.

quote:

Did Nynaeve and Elayne end up doing anything useful in the end? Seems like they failed in their task from the Yellow Aja Aes Sedai considering that Egwene didnt need any saving,
Elayne saved Rand, and Nynaeve managed to help Elayne get there. But yes, Nynaeve was mostly useless, something that I expect will be a major pivot point for her character development. The downside of being super strong but utterly unable to control that strength has just been driven home for her.

quote:

and they didn't tell anyone that Liandrin is a darkfriend in the end either. In fact the entire Liandrin storyline seems to have petered out even though at least 3 groups of people know. Saved for next season I guess?
I am 100% sure that the whole Liandrin situation will be explored next season. I mean, when were they supposed to tell anyone about Liandrin? The last scene we have of them is literally seconds after they just killed Ishamael.

The „no spoilers“ thing is addressed at book spoilers, not stuff we see on screen.

DTurtle fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Oct 20, 2023

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So I was very annoyed at a lot of extremely modern clothing showing up in a fantasy setting, but after looking at more backstory, based on that scene in episode 7, i looked up some videos on the setting and it makes sense because this is earth i the far future. At some point humanity discovered the one power, and that meant that its use + technology ushered into a golden age, until science got all could have not should have and broke open a seal that held the Dark One in check, and that resulted in people like Ishamel being corrupted and serving him, and the resulting wars over centuries resulted in utter devastation to both the world and humanity in general which resulted in a technological dark age where magic fully replaced technology and society reverted to a late medieval level. So the Forsaken would be wearing clothing styles that would of been wore during their period of rule. Spoilered that because i dunno how much book backstory is considered spoilery for the show.

Another thing i noticed that you can see the taint on the male power, as you can see ribbons of black mixed in when Rand uses his power, while when the women use it its all white. Thats good attention to detail.

The book covers generally had everyone wearing armor that would of been seen more in the 15th and 16th century, which honestly is a nice change from most fantasy art just being people half naked in furs.

Also what is the story with the Seanchan i think they're called, the invaders. They talk about how they owned this land but whats the story there?

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Lotta spoilery stuff you can’t really get into here with a good chunk of it being information gleaned from snippets in books.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

So I was very annoyed at a lot of extremely modern clothing showing up in a fantasy setting, but after looking at more backstory, based on that scene in episode 7, i looked up some videos on the setting and it makes sense because this is earth i the far future. At some point humanity discovered the one power, and that meant that its use + technology ushered into a golden age, until science got all could have not should have and broke open a seal that held the Dark One in check, and that resulted in people like Ishamel being corrupted and serving him, and the resulting wars over centuries resulted in utter devastation to both the world and humanity in general which resulted in a technological dark age where magic fully replaced technology and society reverted to a late medieval level. So the Forsaken would be wearing clothing styles that would of been wore during their period of rule. Spoilered that because i dunno how much book backstory is considered spoilery for the show.

Another thing i noticed that you can see the taint on the male power, as you can see ribbons of black mixed in when Rand uses his power, while when the women use it its all white. Thats good attention to detail.

The book covers generally had everyone wearing armor that would of been seen more in the 15th and 16th century, which honestly is a nice change from most fantasy art just being people half naked in furs.

Also what is the story with the Seanchan i think they're called, the invaders. They talk about how they owned this land but whats the story there?

Sticking to the show and what's been said on-screen so far, the Seanchan either are or believe themselves to be the descendants of Artur Hawkwing, the setting's King Arthur analog, the dude with the winged helmet who shows up as the leader of the Heroes of the Horn at the end of season 2. The implication seems to be that Hawkwing and his forces sailed west, found a continent across the ocean and established a colony there that eventually grew into an empire, and they've come back across the ocean to retake control of what they claim to be their ancestral land because Ishamael told them to. Or at least convinced Turak and Suroth to.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Invalid Validation posted:

Lotta spoilery stuff you can’t really get into here with a good chunk of it being information gleaned from snippets in books.

Yea i figured as much hence why I spoilered what I was talking about.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

twistedmentat posted:

It doesn't spoil any plot events to say Jordan described the current setting as "The 17th century without gunpowder" and the show is keeping to that. So the people have sophisticated armor and weapons, books printed with moveable type, relatively advanced sailing ships, and everything else you'd expect from the early modern period. I agree, it's a distinct difference from more medieval fantasy, like with how LotR nerds end up arguing how big of a cinematic sin it was for Peter Jackson to put plate armor in the movies, or how other settings default to grimy people in hovels or dark age castles.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

The costuming is one of my favourite things about this show. All the clothes in Cairhein especially were gorgeous. They didn't seem out of place to me. Ishamael obviously has a way more modern looking suit, but that makes sense since he's from a different time, which is clearly supposed to seem like an advanced super tech place from the flashbacks we've seen.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Killer robot posted:

It doesn't spoil any plot events to say Jordan described the current setting as "The 17th century without gunpowder" and the show is keeping to that. So the people have sophisticated armor and weapons, books printed with moveable type, relatively advanced sailing ships, and everything else you'd expect from the early modern period. I agree, it's a distinct difference from more medieval fantasy, like with how LotR nerds end up arguing how big of a cinematic sin it was for Peter Jackson to put plate armor in the movies, or how other settings default to grimy people in hovels or dark age castles.

Yea its kinda like the Witcher backstory, spoilered for that when a conjunction of the spheres modern humans were brought to that world, and had to adapt to a fantasy setting, but kept a lot of their knowlage, hence doctors knowing germ theory and such. Its honestly a nice change from the normal dark ages apperance of most fantasy. One of the things that I didn't like in GoT is Martin set it very clearly in the high medieval period so there should of been full gothic plate but we don't get any of that in the show.

nine-gear crow posted:

Sticking to the show and what's been said on-screen so far, the Seanchan either are or believe themselves to be the descendants of Artur Hawkwing, the setting's King Arthur analog, the dude with the winged helmet who shows up as the leader of the Heroes of the Horn at the end of season 2. The implication seems to be that Hawkwing and his forces sailed west, found a continent across the ocean and established a colony there that eventually grew into an empire, and they've come back across the ocean to retake control of what they claim to be their ancestral land because Ishamael told them to. Or at least convinced Turak and Suroth to.

That's good enough to give an idea of their motivations. They just seemed like jerks! Now their jerks with a purpose!

Speaking of Jerks, gently caress the white cloaks, bunch of religious fanatics. Plus they killed the dog!

I remember ages ago, when I was young and dumb and for some reason though the Sword of Truth books were good, i mentioned in a thread i liked how powerful Nicci and a the other sorceresses in the books were, and someone said "they're nothing compared to Morainne and other Aes Sedai in Wheel of Time" and was told how one could destroy entire armies with a single word, and I was waiting for that, and well, it more or less happened. I guess in books you don't have to worry about budgets and you can write "and she turned 20,000 men into dust" but showing that on screen is harder.

One of the videos I watched had all the forsaken described and when they showed artwork of Moghedien, she was a gothic lolita, and I was "is that the best artwork you could of chosen?"

Metis of the Hallway posted:

The costuming is one of my favourite things about this show. All the clothes in Cairhein especially were gorgeous. They didn't seem out of place to me. Ishamael obviously has a way more modern looking suit, but that makes sense since he's from a different time, which is clearly supposed to seem like an advanced super tech place from the flashbacks we've seen.

That's why it was bugging me, costuming is great, but its all stuff that could be made with the technology that is shown in the show, but Ishmael having a suit felt really out of place, but as i said in my original post, it makes way more sense now.

delightful
Jul 20, 2022

twistedmentat posted:

I haven't read the book but am spoiling this dumbass thought. It being set in our future sounds kinda dumb, but it would be funny if future humans who traveled to another planet came back. A spaceship touching down in this fantasy setting would be insanely funny

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

delightful posted:

I haven't read the book but am spoiling this dumbass thought. It being set in our future sounds kinda dumb, but it would be funny if future humans who traveled to another planet came back. A spaceship touching down in this fantasy setting would be insanely funny

See, I can’t comment on whether your spoilered text is addressed in this work—or indeed any other work—without giving away the answer. I agree that the genre mismatch would be fun if handled deftly.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Grundulum posted:

See, I can’t comment on whether your spoilered text is addressed in this work—or indeed any other work—without giving away the answer. I agree that the genre mismatch would be fun if handled deftly.

What is the point of this post?

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

delightful posted:

The spoilered stuff is pretty irrelevant to the story. It is mostly just reflected in various myths and legends that they tell themselves. It has no plot impact.

As to the Ishamael and Lanfear clothing:
As we’ve seen in the cold open of the season 1 finale, the Age of Legends was was an advanced sci-fi level society based on magic and technology using magic. Why wouldn’t they have very different fashion sense in comparison to the main part of the show which is 3000 years later and in a very different society?

After all, the society we see in the show are the left over and recovering remnants of the survivors of multiple apocalypses.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

DTurtle posted:

The spoilered stuff is pretty irrelevant to the story. It is mostly just reflected in various myths and legends that they tell themselves. It has no plot impact.

As to the Ishamael and Lanfear clothing:
As we’ve seen in the cold open of the season 1 finale, the Age of Legends was was an advanced sci-fi level society based on magic and technology using magic. Why wouldn’t they have very different fashion sense in comparison to the main part of the show which is 3000 years later and in a very different society?

After all, the society we see in the show are the left over and recovering remnants of the survivors of multiple apocalypses.

I somehow completely forgot about that scene, because it straight up transitions to the time of the story by showing the buildings all wrecked. If i had remembered that from season 1, I probably wouldn't of had the issue i was having, as I said, i didn't know anything about the story outside of a few things here and there, and almost nothing about the full backstory to the setting. Learning about it completely altered my perception of it.

One of the things the video mentions is that symbols from our time or at least stuff we'd be familiar with exist still and i'm curious if we've seen any of that in the show.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

That's good enough to give an idea of their motivations. They just seemed like jerks! Now their jerks with a purpose!

The Seanchan also believe they're fighting on the side of the Light against the Dark One, and it's their imperative to make sure everyone is on the side of Light, by force if need be. So they have a kernel of the right idea to them, they're just awful slaver shitheads. Suroth is the monkey wrench in the operation because she's a Darkfriend and ally of the Forsaken and is actively working to turn the Empire to the Dark, but it kind of goes unnoticed amid the rest of the goings on because she's merely the biggest piece of poo poo in an already gigantic pile of poo poo that is the Seanchan.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Metis of the Hallway posted:

The costuming is one of my favourite things about this show

90% of the show's budget goes on Lanfear's wardrobe and hell, worth it

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

nine-gear crow posted:

Sticking to the show and what's been said on-screen so far, probable book spoilers .
Wait what? When was this stuff in the show. Apart from Ishamael loving around. The rest hasn't been explained at all has it?

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

El Grillo posted:

Wait what? When was this stuff in the show. Apart from Ishamael loving around. The rest hasn't been explained at all has it?

I don't think it has, at all.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

twistedmentat posted:

One of the things the video mentions is that symbols from our time or at least stuff we'd be familiar with exist still and i'm curious if we've seen any of that in the show.

We've seen a few prominent yin-yang on display in the current age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Big Mutha Truckers 2 posted:

90% of the show's budget goes on Lanfear's wardrobe and hell, worth it

Poor Mat. He got a whole new actor and still hasn't gotten a wardrobe change. :D