Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

If AMD ever makes an APU die with 3D vcache on it, 100% of them be going in mobile gaming handhelds like the Ally. They see desktop APUs as the value products.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Does 3D cache significantly increase power draw?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Yes but also no, because they have to run the cores under it at a lower voltage (and slightly lower clocks) to avoid thermal issues, so it evens out. I really do not think they'll ever do this to a low-power APU (or a desktop APU) anyway but if they wanted to burn some R&D money on a minuscule market for some reason, I think they probably could. The X3D chips they sell are ultra-efficient for what they do.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

:stoked:

I'm really tempted by the 24/48 because my setup needs stupid amounts of IO but not a trillion cores. I started off being annoyed that they cut 16 lanes out from the old threadripper before I re-read it and realized it's 48 PCIe 5 lanes with an additional 40 PCIe 4(?)

They need to answer if these are arcwelded to the first MB they're installed in the way server chips are.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

NUCA is a loving mess.

I love how CPU designers looked at the issues inherit with NUMA and thought "hey, let's do that, but make it even worse".
NUMA works decently if you're bottlenecked by thread scale-out and aren't doing certain memory sensitive workloads, but it's a loving nightmare to deal with when you're working with any kind of I/O for either auxiliary storage or networking.
NUCA has all of those issues, but now it's for any workload.

What on earth are you complaining about here? It's the laws of physics which dictate that the costs, both energy and time, of accessing memory resources go up as the memories get bigger and/or further away. NUMA and NUCA aren't lazy designers deciding to make life difficult for everyone else, they're just consequences of this reality.

The only way to achieve true uniformity in a large system is globally restricting performance in all cases just because you don't want CPUs to be capable of running faster while working with local (or relatively local) data.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

FuturePastNow posted:

If AMD ever makes an APU die with 3D vcache on it, 100% of them be going in mobile gaming handhelds like the Ally. They see desktop APUs as the value products.

Mmmmm.... disagree. Figure them to show up in Instinct MI APUs first, and then get binned down to the consumer market for something like Steam Deck 2.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Would you even be able to use the 3dvcache as VRAM? Because if not I don't see the point - the IGPU is going to hold back the machine

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

Would you even be able to use the 3dvcache as VRAM? Because if not I don't see the point - the IGPU is going to hold back the machine

Probably not. There's ways to work around the bandwidth bottleneck though - spinning the iGPU off to a separate chiplet and adding/stacking cache on the IO die, 7000 series style cache dies, stacked HBM (???). We'll see what AMD deems cost effective once Strix Halo is released.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Adding even 2GB of HBM to the APU that's dedicated to the graphics would be pretty neat

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.
I wish mGPU had caught on beyond benchmarking utilities.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Subjunctive posted:

Jealous that they can fill all their DIMM slots, unlike my 7800X3D!

have you tried again after the new microcode? supposedly memory is a lot better now.

Kivi posted:

Now if any of you US goons were willing to do a customs fraud and buy and send me a https://www.newegg.com/asrock-rack-romed8-2t/p/N82E16813140044 as that's also the lowest that board has been.

oh gently caress, I knew about the mITX one but I didn't know romed8-2t was on sale... 😭

time to go look up epyc X and F sku pricing again...

edit: they also have a dual-socket version on sale too. https://www.newegg.com/asrock-rack-rome2d16-2t-amd-epyc-7002-series-processors/p/N82E16813140060

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Sure, you can do cpusets/pinning/affinity, but then you're not using all those threads you bought the CPU to have access to, so what's the point?

sure but the REAL question is whether you can do one socket with F skus and one socket with X, make your own big.little

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Oct 21, 2023

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Paul MaudDib posted:

have you tried again after the new microcode? supposedly memory is a lot better now.

no, last I looked people were having to set individual timings and try fifteen variants to get 6000 with 4x32, so I’ve been holding off

I’ll find the other two DIMMs and try again when I get home next week

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Not sure where else to post this, but details on Qualcomm's upcoming Snapdragon X Elite have leaked: https://videocardz.com/newz/snapdragon-x-elite-leak-12-core-oryon-cpu-4-6tf-adreno-gpu-lpddr5x-av1-and-wifi7

My understanding is that this thing is meant to power Windows ARM laptops. Is the ARM branch of Windows no longer a joke? Won't most apps and games be wholly incompatible? I'm confused as to how this is supposed to be a good idea. What's the benefit of using an ARM processor over an x86 one?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Windows 11 ARM is mostly used to run virtualized on Apple Silicon these days (and some Surface stuff, sure)

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

windows ARM can run x86 binaries under emulation, but the performance is nowhere near as good as rosetta since non-apple hardware lacks the TSO extension that rosetta leans on

if qualcomm does TSO and microsoft updates their emulator to use it then maybe they can get somewhere

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Not sure where else to post this, but details on Qualcomm's upcoming Snapdragon X Elite have leaked: https://videocardz.com/newz/snapdragon-x-elite-leak-12-core-oryon-cpu-4-6tf-adreno-gpu-lpddr5x-av1-and-wifi7

My understanding is that this thing is meant to power Windows ARM laptops. Is the ARM branch of Windows no longer a joke? Won't most apps and games be wholly incompatible? I'm confused as to how this is supposed to be a good idea. What's the benefit of using an ARM processor over an x86 one?

Is there a native port of MS Office yet? I'd bet that for a whole lot of usage cases, if you've got an ARM browser and MS Office, then the substandard emulation for the long tail of other applications is fine. Come to think of it, anything that's .NET and JIT-ed anyway will be completely fine already too.

I know that ARM is making inroads and gaining territory in the server segment, and clearly Apple has had enormous success. The last time that x86 and ARM went head to head was the Atom Phone days, but that was a weird market and time and Intel may well have sabotaged themselves. For Windows laptops, even if ARM doesn't gain market share quickly it'll limit AMD and Intel's profit margins.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Iirc HP and Lenovo launched windows arm on snapdragon laptops in 2021. Battery life was very good for Windows (15hrs+) but you ran into the expected issues with emulation

Seemed good enough for web browsing and Office work

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

repiv posted:

windows ARM can run x86 binaries under emulation, but the performance is nowhere near as good as rosetta since non-apple hardware lacks the TSO extension that rosetta leans on

if qualcomm does TSO and microsoft updates their emulator to use it then maybe they can get somewhere

Yeah, I hope Qualcomm and Microsoft do since it not only benefits future customers buying Windows ARM machines, but also for those running Windows 11 ARM on ASi, like you said.

I played around with a number of engineering apps I use under Windows 11 ARM emulation using my M1 Max; I had an issue with a few, but by and large the apps worked well and it was still pretty snappy.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Canned Sunshine posted:

Yeah, I hope Qualcomm and Microsoft do since it not only benefits future customers buying Windows ARM machines, but also for those running Windows 11 ARM on ASi, like you said.

I played around with a number of engineering apps I use under Windows 11 ARM emulation using my M1 Max; I had an issue with a few, but by and large the apps worked well and it was still pretty snappy.

What software have you tried? I’ve been curious about SOLIDWORKS, but I haven’t found anyone who’s actually tried to use it outside a few old Reddit posts.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

I'm genuinely confused how a rumored Snapdragon relates to AMD. Pretty sure the A1100 ain't coming back. Did I miss something?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

mdxi posted:

I'm genuinely confused how a rumored Snapdragon relates to AMD. Pretty sure the A1100 ain't coming back. Did I miss something?

youre right, it should go in the Cyrix/IDT Megathread

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

mdxi posted:

I don't think we have an ARM thread?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

mdxi posted:

Well, the leaked GPU performance on that SoC beats the RDNA3 on the Samsung Exynos 2400 in Vulkan performance.

But this is the AMD CPU thread.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

gradenko_2000 posted:

I don't think we have an ARM thread?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3970988

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

I stand corrected, cheers

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

gradenko_2000 posted:

I stand corrected, cheers

i also didnt know it existed, so you arent alone

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Cygni posted:

i also didnt know it existed, so you arent alone

It mostly popped up as a joke from a derail in either this or the Intel thread where someone decided we needed a VAX thread, so I doubled down.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

NewFatMike posted:

What software have you tried? I’ve been curious about SOLIDWORKS, but I haven’t found anyone who’s actually tried to use it outside a few old Reddit posts.

I've used CFD software (Ansys, Simflow) with varying levels of success, and then a few AutoDesk products (Revit, AutoCAD) that worked depending on the version, strangely enough (2022, 2024 worked for me, while 2023 had issues). I've used a few others too (WaterGems, Flow2D, HEC-RAS) without any real problems.

I installed and ran Solidworks briefly using a prior model, but haven't really used it at all. It ran after I made a few adjustments I had seen online, but it did feel a bit slow at times with the model I used.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

mdxi posted:

https://x.com/techmeme/status/1716536055351099605

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Kazinsal posted:

It mostly popped up as a joke from a derail in either this or the Intel thread where someone decided we needed a VAX thread, so I doubled down.

i don't know why we need two or more relatively slow CPU threads when the GPU thread lumps everything together and works fine, but IIRC there was pushback to a CPU megathread last time it came up

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

ended up picking up this board for a build:

https://pg.asrock.com/mb/AMD/B650E%20PG-ITX%20WiFi/

I assumed there would be a small air gap between the GPU backplate and the M2 fan assembly... but with the 3090 FTW3 Ultra, they are fully touching. Probably not great for my M2 drive that the 3090 also has the highest backplate temperatures in GPU history. That M2 cooling tower has become an M2 warmer... but the 3090 will love it!

(theres lots of work arounds to this that ill probably do, just thought it was funny)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Neither company needs to make new silicon to have something that can run windows 10 :ssh:

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

Neither company needs to make new silicon to have something that can run windows 10 :ssh:

They want to get onboard for when everyone decides to switch to ARM so they can lock down platforms under the guise of a new architecture

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

repiv posted:

i don't know why we need two or more relatively slow CPU threads when the GPU thread lumps everything together and works fine, but IIRC there was pushback to a CPU megathread last time it came up

The GPU factions co-exist better than the CPU ones, I think because AMD was not in recent memory (7800?) a winner, Intel was and therefore their partisans are more bitter about losing.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

case in point we currently have the same discussion about ARM happening concurrently in the AMD and intel threads

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

It’s OK. We have 4 Ukraine threads, we can have this war in multiple threads too.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Canned Sunshine posted:

I've used CFD software (Ansys, Simflow) with varying levels of success, and then a few AutoDesk products (Revit, AutoCAD) that worked depending on the version, strangely enough (2022, 2024 worked for me, while 2023 had issues). I've used a few others too (WaterGems, Flow2D, HEC-RAS) without any real problems.

I installed and ran Solidworks briefly using a prior model, but haven't really used it at all. It ran after I made a few adjustments I had seen online, but it did feel a bit slow at times with the model I used.

Neat, thanks!

banging fists on table
NVIDIA CPU THREAD, NVIDIA CPU THREAD

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

repiv posted:

The CPU tech & news stuff could easily be a megathread. The platfrom stuff -- "Is my CPU too hot? Overclock or undervolt? How do I run 4 sticks of ram at high speed?" -- is pretty domain-specific and can really get into the weeds.

GPUs on the other hand pretty much run themselves, and there's TBQH very little difference between brand. They're either working or hosed, and when something is hosed there's not much you can do besides wait for new drivers / RMA the card.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Cross linking from the Cities Skylines thread, my CPU scaling testing in Cities Skylines 2 with a 3090 at 1080p highish:

Those 7800X3D results are painful, lol. Getting matched by a 1700. :( Game is laughably GPU bottlenecked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Why is a sim game GPU bottlenecked?

I play DF so I know I might not have much of a leg to stand on here, but surely a sim game doesn't need that amount of visual fidelity.