Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
SD now stands for Small Definition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

wdarkk posted:

SD now stands for Small Definition.

I'm pretty sure it stands for SUPER DEFORMED, thank you.

edit: Remember when wide screen and standard versions required a different DVD purchase?

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Remember when you had to be an rear end in a top hat to get letterboxed vhs? It was like looking for laser discs or some poo poo.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Arc Hammer posted:

Depending on what info is provided, it would probably list the original as a 2002 release and the HD remaster as 2012 for the 10th anniversary.

It looks worse full screen than in tiny vision so I'm going with it's the original?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

DamnGlitch posted:

Remember when you had to be an rear end in a top hat to get letterboxed vhs? It was like looking for laser discs or some poo poo.

We’ve flipped the situation and now whenever an old TV show gets a nice new Blu-ray release you have to check to make sure it’s the original aspect ratio and not some open matte or pan and scan nightmare.

Ask Dragonball Z fans about the state of American-region physical releases of that show sometime, they have opinions.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

why are they all green now

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
DVDs cost 30 dollars and contained 2-3 episodes

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

new WfM merch

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Would it surprise you if the rest of Build Metaverse was about as good as you'd expect from a three episode nostalgia bait YouTube series slapped together to promote a thing no one wants and that leaked a bunch of gunpla models

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Boy howdy that had a shoestring of a budget.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I guess I'll just slumber until SEED Freedom comes out and pass the time dreaming about Hathaway 2 and the totally happening Thunderbolt series 3.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Some of Build Metaverse was fine, I did smile when I saw Reiji back, but it sure didn't have the time (or intention) to push both its own plot and the crossover aspects, leading to something that could've been far more. Hell, we got more interesting crossover stuff in the ending song than in the actual show.

Better than Build Divers, still.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Synthbuttrange posted:

new WfM merch

yooo

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Oh my God the metaverse leak is apparently more than 200 kits

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ngl it did make me happy to see Hiroto do a new Core Change with the old Re Rise BGM.

It's me, I'm the fan being serviced.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
Would’ve been nice to see even just one other member of his team though(other than Freddie); every other cameo from a build series gets to have some of their supporting cast along for the ride, except for the guy whose character arc was about learning not to be a loner.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Oh yeah, Freddie being there means the Gundam Metaverse is a stable link between Earth an an alien world. I’m surprised that didn’t come up.

Our protagonist also thinks of Hiroto as “the guy who built the Core Gundam” and not “the galactic hero who saved an entire planet” so I guess people just have odd priorities.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Last I saw, it was about a dozen full kits leaked, and hundreds of lower detail designs that couldn't be used to print the actual models. Something change?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

They might have been counting those hundreds

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Waffleman_ posted:

https://youtu.be/gSrl7hIGSTs?si=BnYenPnSuKgOhnul

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I was genuinely expecting that video to be this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Q-U2THOF00

but yours is even more apposite

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

I like how he just starts levitating at the end.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It's very funny that they only had three episodes but four Build series to reference so they cheated with episode 3

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I'll never stop laughing at how the gundam pilots in SEED can just re-write an OS or whatever in seconds mid-fight.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nuebot posted:

I'll never stop laughing at how the gundam pilots in SEED can just re-write an OS or whatever in seconds mid-fight.

They didn't.

In the case of the ZAFT pilots at the start they basically just booted the Gundams up and turned off everything that was supposed to help a Natural pilot so they just had a basic bitch-rear end system that wasn't able to do anything but the bare minimum.

Kira rewrote part of the Strike's OS on the fly but he was effectively doing the same thing the ZAFT pilots did but not disabling the stuff that would actually be useful. However that sort of programming was literally the thing he was attending school for.

This comes into play a couple of times, most notably when they go down to Earth and Kira's custom OS adjustments mean the Strike is able to adapt to fighting on sand while Yzak and Dearka have no idea what to do and end up loving up their machines.

It's kind of sad that "Kira's thing is that he is a giant loving programming nerd" was a nice trait for him to have and comes up rarely in other stuff, though SRW plays with it time to time. "Kira the giant nerd" is a lot more appealing than "Kira the noble warrior" as a character trait for him.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Oct 21, 2023

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Just remembered that South Burning is 39 years old and looks and sounds like he's pushing 60. Universal Century ages a fucker fast.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

Just remembered that South Burning is 39 years old and looks and sounds like he's pushing 60. Universal Century ages a fucker fast.

Bright Noa shows his keen thinking again. He got all his fast aging done at nineteen and looks about the same age for the rest of his life.

(Oddly enough, the 48 year old pilot in War in the Pocket looks younger than South Burning.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

If your name is South Burning you were born age 46

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Isn't South Burning from Australia? Might just have been sunscreen shortages.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

They didn't.

In the case of the ZAFT pilots at the start they basically just booted the Gundams up and turned off everything that was supposed to help a Natural pilot so they just had a basic bitch-rear end system that wasn't able to do anything but the bare minimum.

Kira rewrote part of the Strike's OS on the fly but he was effectively doing the same thing the ZAFT pilots did but not disabling the stuff that would actually be useful. However that sort of programming was literally the thing he was attending school for.

This comes into play a couple of times, most notably when they go down to Earth and Kira's custom OS adjustments mean the Strike is able to adapt to fighting on sand while Yzak and Dearka have no idea what to do and end up loving up their machines.

It's kind of sad that "Kira's thing is that he is a giant loving programming nerd" was a nice trait for him to have and comes up rarely in other stuff, though SRW plays with it time to time. "Kira the giant nerd" is a lot more appealing than "Kira the noble warrior" as a character trait for him.

I completely misread that scene then. But yeah I'm liking early SEED Kira a lot more than what I remember of late SEED Kira. Hell, I'm enjoying early SEED in general more than what I recall of late SEED.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I turned on Gundam Breaker 3 and there is something fun about seeing people trying to nake G Witch or Rising Freedom stuff in the shared mech stuff. Game is ancient and yet people still play it

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

I turned on Gundam Breaker 3 and there is something fun about seeing people trying to nake G Witch or Rising Freedom stuff in the shared mech stuff. Game is ancient and yet people still play it

It's really fun to play. And it's customization system lends its self well to trying to recreate all sorts of stuff, here's my attempt at recreating the efreet custom in 2:

I would absolutely kill for 3 to be ported to steam, if not another proper gundam breaker game. The core gameplay is just arcadey enough that I find I can pick it up and play after any amount of time, and the difficulty scaling makes it so you can basically find exactly how hard you want the game to be for your preference. Bamco please give me a 4 already :negative:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
They did! It's called New Gundam Breaker!

:smithicide:

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

GB3 was great, I'd kill for that plus being mobile. Or he'll, that plus new suits every few months, even if they're paid.

On a related note, U.C. Engage is hot garbage. I don't know who likes this gameplay,but surely there's a way to do it without wildly overengineered menus that turn my phone into a slow cooker and cause the app to crash if I multitask to anything else. Gundam breaker mobile was infinitely better than this and Gundam breaker mobile kinda sucked

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Kanos posted:

They did! It's called New Gundam Breaker!

:smithicide:

Don't you lie to me, that was a bad game and not Gundam Breaker 4.

uninterrupted posted:

GB3 was great, I'd kill for that plus being mobile. Or he'll, that plus new suits every few months, even if they're paid.

On a related note, U.C. Engage is hot garbage. I don't know who likes this gameplay,but surely there's a way to do it without wildly overengineered menus that turn my phone into a slow cooker and cause the app to crash if I multitask to anything else. Gundam breaker mobile was infinitely better than this and Gundam breaker mobile kinda sucked

I like how the simple fact you have like no control over the battles means missions can veer wildly out of control with the exact same set up. Do all of your dudes decide to laser focus the boss and win in like three seconds? Rad. Maybe this time they decided to like, spread out and do loving nothing while the enemies team up and pick off your squad one by one very slowly. Also, despite having the best luck I've ever had in a gacha game; I've rolled nothing but green units so my team is only useful a third of the time.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Denpa's release of the Beltorchika's Children manga has been pushed back again to November 14

Jesus Christ how long do you need to put a single volume of manga out? It's not even an omnibus release!

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Burning was a frontline pilot in the one year war and also used to be an extremely heavy drinker so it makes sense he’s got city miles on him

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

uninterrupted posted:

The sucky part of GBM was the gacha scheme, which could have been made more palatable if the pulls were for full suits that you could then part out, rather than getting random bits from each suit.

Otherwise it was a fun game and I'm still mad they killed it. Award winning it was not, but it scratched the itch I had for 'video game on my phone.'

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Nuebot posted:

Don't you lie to me, that was a bad game and not Gundam Breaker 4.

I like how the simple fact you have like no control over the battles means missions can veer wildly out of control with the exact same set up. Do all of your dudes decide to laser focus the boss and win in like three seconds? Rad. Maybe this time they decided to like, spread out and do loving nothing while the enemies team up and pick off your squad one by one very slowly. Also, despite having the best luck I've ever had in a gacha game; I've rolled nothing but green units so my team is only useful a third of the time.

Yeah I've already dumped it off my phone after only a couple days. auotbattlers are like, the least interesting kind of game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Hunter Noventa posted:

Yeah I've already dumped it off my phone after only a couple days. auotbattlers are like, the least interesting kind of game.

I'm still playing it because I like collecting gundams but the power scaling and overt pay walling poo poo is probably going to make me lose any interest before long.