Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

John Romero posted:

Costco has the ETB for the first scarlet and violet set plus two of those poke balls that come with a few packs for $50

Those ETBs go for $35-40 depending on where you look, and it’s not a super popular set.

https://www.tcgplayer.com/product/478335/pokemon-sv01-scarlet-and-violet-base-set-scarlet-and-violet-elite-trainer-box-koraidon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
I got my ultra-premium collection today! No illustration rares unfortunately, but in the 16 packs I got two double rares, an ultra rare (Charizard), and a hyper rare (Switch). Pretty much in line with the rest of my Scarlet & Violet experience.

I’m hoping everybody experiences fewer batching issues with these bigger boxes than they did with the smaller ones. I’m certainly satisfied with the pulls listed above, but I was actually very pleased by the variety of commons/uncommons in the box—e.g. in my first four packs, I only hit one card that I didn’t have previously, and it wasn’t a duplicate of any others in the first four.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Think I'll pick up an elite box for 151 while I'm in a country where it's cheaper. Fly it back home in my suitcase and hope it doesn't get squished lol

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

I don't know what the different rares are called but I swung above-rate with my distribution, I think. The most notable one was the alternate art Blastoise, not the cartoony one, but the emotional one. I opened 29 packs, didn't start hitting a ton of common/uncommon dupes until packs 21 and 22

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
I bought a booster bundle (6 pack boxes) for each of my two kids and they got some pretty good bangers. One had the IR Dragonair and the AR Blastoise, and the other had an IR Ivysaur and a Venusaur EX, seems we got lucky with these BBs. Also sounds like Pokemon is gonna print a bunch more 151 (shocking).

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

I broke down and bought the Zapdos box and the little Dragonite tin. +6 packs, bringing my total to 44. Out of those six:

It’s definitely a batching problem.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

So the ex cards are special rares too? I'm never gonna keep track of all this!

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
The "gimmick of the generation" cards usually have their own rarity ever since the overhaul for Black & White. Since EX Rare is already taken, they're called Double Rare this time I guess.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

big cummers ONLY posted:

So the ex cards are special rares too? I'm never gonna keep track of all this!

The ETBs have a little guide in them for the new/updated rarities.

Two black stars (minimum for all ex): Double Rare. These are always within the regular numbering of a set.

“Secret Rares” exceed the regular set numbering, eg 180/165. They are as follows:
-Two silver stars (cartoony version of ex, full art cartoony version of supporter): Ultra Rare
-One gold star (lovely picture, never on an ex or supporter): Illustration Rare
-Two gold stars (lovely picture, always ex or supporter): Special Illustration Rare
-Three gold stars (uniformly goofy): Hyper Rare

I think that’s everything, at least for S&V edition.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
The new rarities are fairly confusing and more in line with how the Japanese sets label rarities, with the added confusion that everything except an EX is technically a "secret rare" as the set number goes beyond the standard set (FA Venusaur is 182/165 and FA Erika's Invitation is 196/165, for example). What's even more confusing is that Japanese boxes generally only have one secret rare in them (sometimes they have two), yet english sets are all over the place with secret rares. Hyper rares (gold cards) are considered the highest rarity with three gold stars.

Rainbow rares used to be referred to as hyper rares too at one point. Pokemon cards are a land of contrasts.

efb and with a better explanation!

Louisgod fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Oct 6, 2023

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

Sulecrist posted:

The ETBs have a little guide in them for the new/updated rarities.

Two black stars (minimum for all ex): Double Rare. These are always within the regular numbering of a set.

“Secret Rares” exceed the regular set numbering, eg 180/165. They are as follows:
-Two silver stars (cartoony version of ex, full art cartoony version of supporter): Ultra Rare
-One gold star (lovely picture, never on an ex or supporter): Illustration Rare
-Two gold stars (lovely picture, always ex or supporter): Special Illustration Rare
-Three gold stars (uniformly goofy): Hyper Rare

I think that’s everything, at least for S&V edition.

Thank you for this helpful writeup! I got information overloaded when opening and didn't even think to look for a rarity symbol on the card :v: I've also noticed at least a couple types of foiling. There's a very basic kind that seems to go on rare pokemon, then some kind of foiling with a design in the background of the card. Is it just these two types, outside of secret rares?

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
Type of foil depends on the type of card, generally speaking, but the biggest thing is that things on the rarer side are also textured on the surface (like full arts, special illustration rares and gold rares)

Honestly a simpler way to look at it is : if it's above the set number in the SV series, it's good. Like a card that's 183 out of 174? That's good poo poo.

no broccoli please
Apr 20, 2007

no broccoli please you are nice here is a Nathaniel Hawthorne avatar
Anyone getting hyped for the Paradox Rift prerelease? I gotta get that Xatu, once per turn, you can attach one psychic energy from your hand to any benched pokemon, and then draw 2 cards. It'll be a must in my Tinkaton deck, which I've improved significantly with the addition of a radiant Greninja.

Between baby Tinkaton's Gather Materials, Greninja's Concealed Cards and Xatu's ability I may just have too much draw power. I've also gotten rid of the Annihilape line I had in there to focus more on getting Tinkaton ex out and swinging.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
I'm hoping to go to one this weekend for my birthday, hoping to be able to afford it for my partner and my kids too, since we're jumping back into the game as a family.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Can I just say I'm in love with the art rares

no broccoli please
Apr 20, 2007

no broccoli please you are nice here is a Nathaniel Hawthorne avatar

HootTheOwl posted:

Can I just say I'm in love with the art rares

There are some great ones in there. The Scream Tail is one of my faves.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Here are some of the IRs and SIRs coming in the set. The Ancient/Future thing is the same as Single/Rapid/Fusion Strike from the previous cycle (it's just an attribute that interacts with other card effects).

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

I am down bad for the Plusle/Minun set and the Minior cards...

What I'm very interested in is the price of Brute Bonnet as a single. Made by the same artist that made the Magikarp from PAL, which is a card that is artificially inflated to all gently caress. Will it be a repeat of that, or will people not give a poo poo because Brute Bonnet is not a popular/known Pokemon (well, in relation to Magikarp)?

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Reoxygenation posted:

I am down bad for the Plusle/Minun set and the Minior cards...

What I'm very interested in is the price of Brute Bonnet as a single. Made by the same artist that made the Magikarp from PAL, which is a card that is artificially inflated to all gently caress. Will it be a repeat of that, or will people not give a poo poo because Brute Bonnet is not a popular/known Pokemon (well, in relation to Magikarp)?

I'd guess the latter. People have favorite artists and collect them, but most Poke artists don't carry a premium based on their name alone. The only exception I can think of is Mitsuhiro Arita, but it's generally when the card is signed by him. And his more expensive card will be the popular mons because pokemon popularity > everything else when it comes to card value.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Inclined to agree with you. At least it'll let me laugh at all the people that say the art is what matters on the card when a card by the exact same artist 2 sets later is worth like 1/50th of their previous card :v:

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
The only instance I know where art triumphed over the odds was this machamp from Astral Radiance (please forgive the tcgplayer link I'm on mobile atm)

https://www.tcgplayer.com/product/2...anguage=English

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Paradox Rift looks great, I hope they keep pull rates similar to the other mainline S&V sets. 151 is annoying thanks to the nostalgia effect kicking in, and completing it has been tough due to the frustrating batching (only golds I've pulled are FIVE Switches) so I had to buy the remaining singles I needed. The newer Pokemon are pretty neat overall and people not liking them just means the cards are easier to get in general.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Felt Hat Pikachu is up on pokemoncenter.com (for a few more minutes at least).

edit: it’s gone.

A lot of people are complaining about a purchase submission/confirmation glitch. I experienced the error at least ten times before realizing one of the qualifying items had gone out of stock in the few seconds between me adding it to the cart and trying to check out. The “out of stock” notice wasn’t obvious, but it was present. Basically, plenty of things about this process were busted (search, filters and sorting, page selection), but not necessarily the checkout—some of that was user error.

Sulecrist fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Oct 17, 2023

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I couldn't even see what items qualified and how to get them so gently caress me I guess

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Sulecrist posted:

A lot of people are complaining about a purchase submission/confirmation glitch. I experienced the error at least ten times before realizing one of the qualifying items had gone out of stock in the few seconds between me adding it to the cart and trying to check out. The “out of stock” notice wasn’t obvious, but it was present. Basically, plenty of things about this process were busted (search, filters and sorting, page selection), but not necessarily the checkout—some of that was user error.

The pokemon center website loving sucks. It is so loving bad. I've basically sworn off any promo that can be obtained through it because of how anti-human-consumer it is. I make purchases through it, but never for limited stuff, because while that sucks, I have simply given up on trying to get any promotional or time-limited item through it. I'd rather do anything else with my time than be blocked automatically for any loving reason, or run into some whack rear end poo poo they got goin on.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Speaking of Paradox Rift, looks like some folks have been opening the English releases early and posting leaks of the IRs and SIRs and they all look fantastic, and I'm hoping they keep the hit rates the same for booster boxes (3 ARs, 1 SAR, few EXs, one hyper). Set is looks like a ton of fun.

Warning: Spoilers

https://www.reddit.com/r/PokemonTCG/comments/17a5ng8/paradox_rift_leaks_actual_leaks_not_official/

https://www.reddit.com/r/PokemonTCG/comments/17aac61/even_more_paradox_rift_leaks/

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Wow, another Yuka Morii art rare card!! We are eating good.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Reoxygenation posted:

The pokemon center website loving sucks. It is so loving bad. I've basically sworn off any promo that can be obtained through it because of how anti-human-consumer it is. I make purchases through it, but never for limited stuff, because while that sucks, I have simply given up on trying to get any promotional or time-limited item through it. I'd rather do anything else with my time than be blocked automatically for any loving reason, or run into some whack rear end poo poo they got goin on.

It does suck, but there’s some stuff you can do to make it suck less.

For $spend based promos, you can preload your cart with stuff you know won’t go OOS. If you preload with an item quantity of 2 that you intend to get 1 of, you can adjust it to 1 to refresh the cart and get the promo to drop.

Other than that, turning off ad block, tracking protection, private relay, VPN, etc will also help.

From there, it’s just a matter of knowing how to fight a website that’s getting slammed. Constantly refresh if it doesn’t load right away. If you hit a forward arrow and it doesn’t load some elements, hit back then forward again (this specifically works with Pokemon center, not most other sites). There’s also the “cart trick” you can do where if something shows unavailable or the add to cart button doesn’t work, you can click your cart, then hit back and sometimes add the item.

If it’s failing after you enter your CC details and hit pay, that’s because an item in your cart is true OOS. It really should show an error but lovely website and all, it doesn’t.

With that info, you just gotta gently caress around with the site until you figure out a workflow that works.

The community in this discord sucks, but they do good, quick pings and it’ll help you jump on stuff. There’s also often someone being helpful in fighting the website.

https://discord.gg/sTqmVyHj

Dirac Fourier
Aug 14, 2023
My daughter is not as interested in TCG as my son, but today she asked me if she can have a Rapidash battle deck. I want to oblige her, but I see there’s no Rapidash battle deck. Seems like I’m about to venture into both deck building and purchasing singles.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

If anyone objects to the following, let me know and I’ll move it to SA-Mart. But, the topic of trading 151 has come up a few times, and terrible batching makes trading more beneficial than normal. So!

Does anyone in the US want to trade any 151 stuff? I have a few fairly rare things I don’t really want, but I’d rather exchange them with cool goons for roughly equal value than try to put them on eBay and/or sell them to a brick and mortar for pennies on the dollar.

Here’s what I have from 151 that I don’t want:

Bigger items:
Venusaur SIR
Erika ultra rare
Jynx ultra rare
Mew double rare

Regular rares: Raichu, Dodrio, Gengar (one regular one reverse), 3x Weezings, 2x Chanseys, Gyarados, Ditto, Aerodactyl, Moltres (slight production error—one corner isn’t rounded)

Reverse holos or uncommons or whatever just ask.

I’m interested in trading for the following, in rough order from most to least valuable:
Charizard SIR (but I definitely can’t afford it)
Blastoise SIR
Zapdos SIR
Charmeleon IR
Blastoise ultra rare
Zapdos double rare
Ninetales double rare
Kangaskhan double rare
Beedrill R (regular and/or reverse)
Jolteon R (reverse holo)
Charmeleon U (regular only)
Ivysaur U (regular only)
Slowbro U (either regular or reverse is fine)
Kingler U (regular and/or reverse)
Seaking U (either regular or reverse is fine)
Lapras U (either regular or reverse is fine)
Energy Sticker U (either regular or reverse is fine)
Plus any other cool IRs I don’t have [so, most of them] if you’ve got extras.

edit: you can PM me!

Sulecrist fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Oct 20, 2023

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
I'm heading to a prerelease tomorrow and it's my first one since sword and shield and since PTCGL, I was wondering if we have to wait to scan the codes, or can we scan them and the packs are locked like they were in PTCGO?

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
Anyone know of a site like TCGplayer but for Japanese cards? I have a bunch of Japanese cards from the 90s that have been sitting in a binder since then. I’m trying to get a rough estimate of their value but it’s difficult when I don’t know half of their names.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Nckdictator posted:

Anyone know of a site like TCGplayer but for Japanese cards? I have a bunch of Japanese cards from the 90s that have been sitting in a binder since then. I’m trying to get a rough estimate of their value but it’s difficult when I don’t know half of their names.

Scrylens will translate them for you and [I]then[/II] you can go to TCG player

E: sorry I thought this was the mtg thread, no I don't but they're Pokemon surely you can identify them by sight?

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
Just got back from my prerelease, only 4 people showed up and my deck poo poo the bed in 2 of the 3 rounds. My daughter played too so we walked away with 13 packs between us pulling a full art Shantal, art rare minun, garchomp ex and iron hands ex. Overall it was a good day!

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Nckdictator posted:

I can point a couple of resources your way (Bulbapedia, TCGcollector) for identifying your cards. In terms of finding price value, stuff is somewhat scattered, and your best bet are looking at ebay, japanese auction websites, etc by looking up the card + set + number. Unless you have some of the rarer rarer stuff, you should be able to find price estimations decently easily.

It sucks especially with japanese singles, because the market went haywire over the past few years, since uhhh foreigners found out japanese cards were cheap in general and people found out they can capitalize on that.

A rule of thumb though is that vintage japanese cards are usually not close to their english equivalent in price. Also of note is that a lot of the older japanese sets had guaranteed holos per pack (neo, fossil, jungle? I think. I might be lying, been a while!) so that plays into the lesser value.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Nckdictator posted:

It isn’t perfect by any means, but pricecharting will help you see last sold prices, and a historical list of prices. It’ll at least get you in the door for roughly values without having to manually figure it out by looking at recent sold on eBay. The collectr app also has Japanese prices for stuff and is a bit easier to use cause it’s much more visual and responsive.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Went to a pre-release yesterday with some friends and we collectively got a ton of good poo poo. I ended up with 2 Roaring Moon ex & 2 Alt Art Garchomp ex myself. Along with a bunch of good staple stuff like Shauntal, 2x Sada's Vitality, and 2x Earthen Vessel.

I don't have enough of a collection of fighting energy mons to try to put together something with the Garchomps yet I don't think but I do have the skeleton of a Roaring Moon deck I think.

Was my first pre-release and it was tons of fun! I even went 3-0 with the Golisopod/Aegislash deck I got. Mostly by virtue of getting 3 Iron Bundles between the deck and the packs lmao.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Got burnt out on YGO again, decided to give the current Pokemon format a spin with the new TCGO client.

Ended up Frankensteining together my early resources with the Charizard + Arcanine precon to make a variant Charizard ex build that I'm actually really enjoying. PGO Charizard gives the deck a lot more ability to keep rolling with back-up attackers and stretches those 8 Fire energies a lot farther. And Heatmor may not be good, per se, but goddamn is it hilarious.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Oct 26, 2023

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
More codes: https://imgur.com/vrrLORr

Cracked open a Zapdos EX 151 box, and now I have my mandatory full art Giovanni's Charisma I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I have apparently chosen the most basic bitch deck imaginable. I guess I should've expected as much.

:negative: