Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

an owls casket posted:

Two things that crossed my mind today:

1) remember early on how people were like "hey, you should keep a journal about your experiences during the pandemic so that people can look back on it decades from now and remember what it was like"? How's that going for everyone? Good? I bet it's going good.

Some of them are coping-with-memory-loss journals now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
checking through the previous thread and noticed this gem

Pohl posted:

One of the clerks at the convenience store I frequent is a 40 year old woman. She hurt her shoulder last fall. She's been bugging the Dr all year, telling him that she knows her body and that something is really wrong. He keeps giving her steroid injections and pain pills and rehabilitation. She finally bugged him enough that they did an MRI...

all of the tissue in her shoulder is dead, her entire rotator cuff - everything. Just dead. They figure she had a blood clot.
Guess what, she had covid just before that happened.

now they are going to have to do a major surgery and clean all the dead tissue out and try and fix the bloodflow and lol, how is everyone not loving terrified

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Zantie posted:

In other news it's been 24 hours since my Novavax shot and I'm happy to report the worst symptom was arm pain! I definitely recommend trying it over Moderna if you are the type to have a rough time with it.

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

I haven't heard of anyone having those kinds of issues with Novavax. Most of us have the shoulder pain, and I really felt like I should lay down for a couple of hours 18-20 hours later. That was it.

Adding to this, it's been a week and I have zero side effects, I can't even tell I got an injection. Really happy with the moth juice, hopefully they stay in business for me to moth for many years.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

shazbot posted:

I tried to get novavax but the pharmacy bait and switched so I just got Moderna.

the unmasked lady doing the injections was very excited to tell me this wasn’t a booster and it’s just 1 shot a year now like the flu shot, no more boosters!

Technically she's correct. We won't be getting boosters any more.

We'll be getting new formulations for different extinct variants that the vaccine manufacturers won't bother to update more often than once a year, and because COVID is now the flu and therefore over, you shouldn't worry about the fact that, unlike flu season, COVID season is year-round and your only somewhat effective antibodies will be long-gone the next time you get your next shot.

We have the tools.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
very strange request but Pillowpants and... the poster who was helping pillowpants with graphs, or anyone else who remember:

what is the resource for color blind accessible design color gradients? I don't even know how to start googling for it. I'm helping with a project that needs them for some Graphs! GRAPHS

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Got covid, was told by my supervisor not to come in. Recieved a verbal warning when I returned this morning. (self.electricians)

quote:

I was feeling ill early last week. Didn't think much of it but when my girlfriend also started feeling sick she picked up covid tests and we both tested positive. I immediately messaged my supervisor (the jm who is leading the fire alarm crew I'm on) and was told not to come in. I don't lean either way on the political covid stuff, but I still didn't feel good coming in knowing 100% I had covid without saying anything.

Came in this morning and was immediately pulled aside by the foreman and the previously mentioned jm. I was then given a verbal warning by the foreman for not coming in. I said I had covid and told the jm. I was then told I needed to check in with the jm everyday I wasn't coming in. This was never mentioned to me before, even when I I initially messaged the fire alarm lead.

I'm thinking of approaching the foreman alone to defend myself and hopefully have the verbal warning removed from my employment record. Am I wrong to think this is bs?

Edit* This blew up a lot more than I thought. I wasn't expecting this many responses. Also didn't explain it very well. My supervisor told me that they didn't want anyone getting sick before Thanksgiving and I mistakenly assumed that meant don't come in until next week. I talked to him after work yesterday and he told me he could see how I misunderstood and that he isn't filling out the report for the warning anyway. So basically I was overreacting and kinda deserved it. But didn't end up getting it.

This is surely a communication issue in which the worker is totally in the wrong.

It’s impossible to infer that a person taking one day off for COVID ought to be taking the next day off as well.

quote:

I’ve been employing people for 35 years, in all that time if someone called in sick I told them to get better, I called them in a couple days if I didn’t hear from them to check in on them. Not once did I expect a sick gently caress to call me daily, gently caress that guy

quote:

I don't lean either way on the political covid stuff,

This is the saddest part of this post to me.

There is no political covid stuff. It's a virus that makes you sick, and you spread it to other people and make them sick. If you're sick, you should stay home.

That's it. No politics, Just science.

quote:

I don't lean either way on the political covid stuff

Covid has nothing to do with politics, it's a literally viruses that doesn't give a f what you think politically

And now, your moment of zen,

quote:

How would you're boss even know if you have covid? My boss once asked me if I'm vaccinated, in response I asked him if he's circumcised. He was like: "what"? And I'm like what? I thought we're sharing our personal health facts.

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 23:10 on Oct 20, 2023

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Gunshow Poophole posted:

very strange request but Pillowpants and... the poster who was helping pillowpants with graphs, or anyone else who remember:

what is the resource for color blind accessible design color gradients? I don't even know how to start googling for it. I'm helping with a project that needs them for some Graphs! GRAPHS

Those poor graphs :ohdear:

Here are some potentially useful links from an earlier thread (from Zodium and fosborb respectively):
http://www.cookbook-r.com/Graphs/Colors_(ggplot2)/#a-colorblind-friendly-palette
https://www.color-blindness.com/coblis-color-blindness-simulator/

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Don't have access to read the full article, but the headline is promising:

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2398713-schools-cut-covid-19-sick-days-by-20-per-cent-using-hepa-air-filters/ posted:

Schools cut covid-19 sick days by 20 per cent using HEPA air filters
Placing HEPA air filters into classrooms in the Bradford area of the UK reduced the number of covid-19-related absences among students by more than 20 per cent

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem

Gunshow Poophole posted:

for map and other data theres colorbrewer
https://colorbrewer2.org/#type=sequential&scheme=OrRd&n=9

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Hungry Squirrel posted:

The good news is that I'm getting Moth Juice two weeks from Monday.

The poor-planning news is that I'm closing on a house three weeks from Monday.

It's sounding like the worst-case poor response is about 48 hours of feeling like death. Is that accurate? I can plan ahead so that I don't need to be packing or anything that week, but I need to not be half-dead for the closing. Should I reschedule the shot?

it’s different for everyone. how have you responded to previous shots?

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Zantie posted:

In other news it's been 24 hours since my Novavax shot and I'm happy to report the worst symptom was arm pain! I definitely recommend trying it over Moderna if you are the type to have a rough time with it.

I got my novavax shot a couple hours before work, did a full day of work running cables, then went home to sleep. Only side effect was that my arm was a little sore, I did feel that arm was off a couple times when I tried pulling with my left arm. But overall it was nothing like the mRNA shots. I wouldn't have been able to work after getting those, because I would have been curled up in a shivering, sweating ball.

A+, will bring a moth again.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Pingui posted:

Those poor graphs :ohdear:

Here are some potentially useful links from an earlier thread (from Zodium and fosborb respectively):
http://www.cookbook-r.com/Graphs/Colors_(ggplot2)/#a-colorblind-friendly-palette
https://www.color-blindness.com/coblis-color-blindness-simulator/

thank you good poster friends, love to have a collective memory to which I can resort For esoteric things

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

jetz0r posted:

I got my novavax shot a couple hours before work, did a full day of work running cables, then went home to sleep. Only side effect was that my arm was a little sore, I did feel that arm was off a couple times when I tried pulling with my left arm. But overall it was nothing like the mRNA shots. I wouldn't have been able to work after getting those, because I would have been curled up in a shivering, sweating ball.

A+, will bring a moth again.

The kids call it mothing. A bizarre new craze that has taken the internet by storm, involving being injected with a soup-like moth homogenate. The problem? - it has left this young person a little sore... We'll get right into that this evening, right here on C-SPAM.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
After Mothra transferred her life force to him, Godzilla had enough juice to vaporize King Ghidora. I want me some of that.

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?

Oracle posted:

it’s different for everyone. how have you responded to previous shots?

I had the Moderna monovalent a few weeks ago, and I wasn't super great, but I've been worse. I'll take that as a good sign!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/rolandbakeriii/status/1715490406421692896?s=46

seems to be catching on like a virus

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
May the blessings of moth be upon you

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/meetjess/status/1715530036839621073?s=46

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

gdi Dude

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Pingui posted:

Don't have access to read the full article, but the headline is promising:

That can't be right, covid doesn't spread in schools.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
So here in Australia you can only get a PCR test via a GP's referral or at a testing clinic which has a doctor on site to approve it (and there's way less testing clinics than there used to be) and the states also changed the case reporting rules a while back so that they only report PCR results and don't include RAT results any more. Reported cases have dropped down to record levels!!! Weirdly enough, hospitalizations are only slightly lower than they were this time last year .....

The number of people hospitalized with covid was consistently around a tenth of the daily reported cases, but these last six months things have flipped around and there's actually been more people hospitalized with covid than the number of new daily cases.

Note that several states also changed their "hospitalized with covid" criteria in recent times so the current reported stats will also be lower than they would have been using the old criteria.

So is the current state of the pandemic in Australia better than the same time last year, or the same, or worse? It's probably at least as bad but there's no way of actually finding out. :shrug:

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

mdemone posted:

Lol I took a break from Israel/Palestine news and now I'm all hosed up again on Covid news
lol it owns, there is no escape

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

this was probably already posted about (well it has been for years but anyway) but it's funny to see in the context of Israel/Palestine that regular people realize that whoa, joe biden, the government, is lying to me, what is this??? lol, lmao, catch up guys

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

continue to ignore the hundreds of thousands of deaths due to his presidency and inaction during covid lol lmao

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Platystemon posted:

After all, it’s still “Omicron”. 🤡

https://ourworldindata.org/explorer...ositivity=false
:thunk:

Apparently the Aus/NZ Communicable Diseases Genomics Network are defining XBB.1.5, XBB.1.16 and EG.5 (XBB.1.9.2.5) as "recombinant" instead of just an omicron sub-lineage
https://www.cdgn.org.au/variants-of-concern

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

be sure to swing by the biosphere collapse thread too

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

colorbrewer ftw

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Tzen posted:

lol it owns, there is no escape

there is an escape

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I mentioned a while back that flesh-eating buruli bacteria ulcers were endemic here in Melbourne Australia and the numbers were increasing every year. In the last 12 months we've had 378 confirmed cases, with 40 cases in my local area

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Buruli ulcers (huge lesions caused by flesh eating bacteria) are endemic in sub-Saharan Africa and certain parts of Australia and although cases sometimes occur in other parts of Australia it's usually in people who had recently traveled to the endemic regions, but we just had a locally-acquired case in a part of New South Wales where the bacteria isn't supposed to be endemic. They dug a little further into the situation and discovered two other similar cases which occurred since 2021, I guess we gotta redraw those 'endemic regions' lines on the map. (Be warned that most of these links will have fairly graphic photos of patients with chunks of flesh missing)
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-09-08/buruli-ulcer-detected-nsw-locally-acquired-batemans-bay/102833982

Scientists still aren't 100% certain how the disease even spreads but it's probably via a zoonotic reservoir and the primary suspect is mosquitoes, but it's also been found in Australian possums and possum poo poo
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buruli_ulcer

Buruli ulcers are endemic here in Victoria and we usually get at least 100 - 300 cases every year, mostly out in coastal areas but also in a small cluster of certain inner city suburbs which just happens to be exactly where I live. Also my backyard is chock full of mosquitoes and possums :whitewater:
https://www.health.vic.gov.au/health-advisories/buruli-ulcer-is-spreading

The good news: they're considering a vaccination program which will hopefully turn things around

The bad new: it's an oral bait BCG vaccine program for possums (which are suspected to be the zoonotic reservoir that acts as the vector between mosquitoes and humans) which is only at the proposal stage and they haven't even shown that this particular vaccine will protect possums from the disease yet, although it seems to work in mice.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Gunshow Poophole posted:

Also fiz brought up in another thread, pretty clear that everyone's going to be at hilarious risk of Valley fever which is a fungal infection

In fresh-to-me pestilence news, social media wanted me to read this article:

quote:

Farmworkers in California's Central Valley know that when the tule fog settles over the ground after a heavy rain, some of them are about to get sick. Within a few weeks of the dense fog's arrival, many of the laborers grow tired and develop headaches and fevers. Each time, those who have evaded illness wonder whether they will be next. Experienced farmworkers expect this affliction, but when Rosalinda Guillen arrived from Washington State 25 years ago, she had never seen anything like it. She watched, helpless, as other farmworkers coughed and tried to catch their breath.

That was the first time Guillen, a seasonal farmworker and agricultural justice leader, heard the term “Valley fever.” The disease is caused by two species of shapeshifting fungus in the genus Coccidioides, both of which flourish when exposed to moist springs and arid summers—like those in the San Joaquin Valley, where the fever got its name. Guillen had not encountered such a thing in her home state. But because of drier landscapes and warming temperatures, the fungus's range appears to be spreading.

No one knows for sure whether wind is moving Coccidioides north or whether it has been there undisturbed until now. But even as researchers have been discovering it in new pockets throughout the western U.S., many state health departments have failed to track it. What limited data exist indicate that 40 percent of cases become symptomatic, and among those the people most at risk of life-threatening disease are Latino, Asian and Native American people, who contract Valley fever at two to four times the rate of white people. That increased risk seems to be primarily attributable to their frequent exposure and long hours spent in dusty outdoor locations, although genetic variations haven't yet been ruled out.

There's more, and it's mostly worse.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

https://www.post-gazette.com/news/health/2023/10/21/allegheny-county-school-immunization-vaccine/stories/202310200108

quote:

Allegheny County's school-age immunization report shows a downward trend that worries vaccine experts

The Allegheny County Health Department’s annual School Immunization Report released this week shows a downward trend in the percentage of students who are fully immunized and a slight increase in religious and moral exemptions to vaccines.

The report encompasses the vaccination rates for multiple school-age vaccines and for all grades up to 12 for the 2022-2023 school year and also compares vaccination trends over time.

In April 2015, 96.7% of students were fully immunized, and as of December 2022, the number has dropped to 95.1%, according to the report.

How could this have happened

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020
What's the thread consensus on the non-MRA Novavax option? I could get that as my next booster, is there any point to getting it?

I've had the Pfizer shot for my last three, was thinking of mixing it up because I have a dim memory of it being good to vary your shots.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Samuel Glompers posted:

What's the thread consensus on the non-MRA Novavax option? I could get that as my next booster, is there any point to getting it?

I've had the Pfizer shot for my last three, was thinking of mixing it up because I have a dim memory of it being good to vary your shots.

The selling point of Novavax is that maaaaaybe it is more future-proofed against new variants but it remains to be seen how true that is

I would recommend it anyways just to mix things up

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Anecdotally, people seem to have fewer side effects from Novavax as well. Whereas mRNA vaxxes kick a lot of people's butts for a day or two.

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
huh, this is a failure mode of rapid tests i've never seen. saliva was too thick (from whatever secondary infection) to actually start a flow. after 10min the strip was blank, so i used the back of the swab to press and squish the sample, and then it started flowing. the C line is there but the test filled in all weird and dark splotchy and i don't know if i trust it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Question about continuing to mask after recent booster (self.Masks4All)

quote:

I received my latest booster 3 days ago (2 vaccines, 4 boosters - 6 in total). I've been wearing N95 masks for shopping (once a week) and any other indoor public events, which I mostly avoid, including restaurants. This summer I was lectured by a doctor that I needed to stop wearing a mask after my booster in order to expose myself to Covid and build up my natural immunity. I'm reluctant to stop what I've been doing and would love some advice.

Edit: Thank you all so much for taking the time to provide such thoughtful, detailed and informative responses. I'm embarrassed that I had any doubts about the effectiveness of wearing a mask and will continue to wear one willingly.

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.

Platystemon posted:

daily reminder to not question your dr

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004

Platystemon posted:

Blessed

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020

Steve Yun posted:

The selling point of Novavax is that maaaaaybe it is more future-proofed against new variants but it remains to be seen how true that is

I would recommend it anyways just to mix things up

Zugzwang posted:

Anecdotally, people seem to have fewer side effects from Novavax as well. Whereas mRNA vaxxes kick a lot of people's butts for a day or two.

Light googling seems to back this up, thanks goons. Gettin moth'd up :cheers:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BusError
Jan 4, 2005

stupid babies need the most attention
Just got back from my local annual tabletop gaming convention. Quite a few more masks than I would have expected, and of those, a shockingly high number were N95s! I guess if any population is going to do their homework and have better than average risk/reward calculations, that's where I'd expect it. Bummer they weren't required, but my expectations are so far down in the sewer at this point that I'm happy when I see any effort at all.