Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Fit them all onto old GorkaMorka bases

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Al-Saqr posted:

drat lol I guess my Avatar is no longer valid for games lol.

I wonder if my Ulthwe is still good...

It absolutely could, just pop that little dude on a big old base and make a whole diorama out of it. Put a bunch of dead teeny tiny marines or whichever other enemy you desire.

Efb

Eej posted:

Just fill his base with tiny Epic marines shooting at him so it's actually a scaled down diorama

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I have at least two Eldar dreadnoughts that are on the 50mm square bases they originally came with. I haven't tried to use them in ages though.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

I have some 50mm bases as it turns out, but there is no way this Vostroyan heavy bolter team is fitting on it. It sounds like my original base is still correct for GW events, but would be bigger than 50mm, so not tournament legal?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Mazed posted:

I got this guy who looks like he'd be great as a fancier leader for the Havoc squad in Combat Patrol, but the weird oblong base doesn't work with the restrictions on that mode of play. At the same time, if he's lacking the oblong base, does this render him "illegal" to be played as a Warpsmith proper in other modes?

Just put him on his oblong base, it doesn't do any harm in combat patrol

Virtual Russian posted:

I have some 50mm bases as it turns out, but there is no way this Vostroyan heavy bolter team is fitting on it. It sounds like my original base is still correct for GW events, but would be bigger than 50mm, so not tournament legal?

You can get bases for 25-50¢ USD per on Aliexpress or ask anyone with a 3D printer to make you some, if you care about tournaments. If anyone complains about the base on heavy weapon squads in a friendly, call them a nerd until they stop doing that.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Oct 21, 2023

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
The Avatar diorama sounds like a great idea! Do you guys know where i can get some cheap disposable space marine epic scale stuff? Or maybe an epic sized chaos demon?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Al-Saqr posted:

The Avatar diorama sounds like a great idea! Do you guys know where i can get some cheap disposable space marine epic scale stuff? Or maybe an epic sized chaos demon?

Legions Imperialis is just around the corner, so epic-scale marines are coming.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Although those are slightly bigger than classic epic minis, so you might want to look into prints if you want the correct-ish scale.
Not to mention getting them in poses of firing upwards at the Avatar.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
To be fair base sizes can come in clutch in a lot of games if they are the wrong size, and you should try to make sure your models are on the right size base even for casual games.

That being said, generally I don't have a lot of symptoms thy for people who don't update base sizes as you can literally buy 3D printed base extenders online for basically nothing and glue them onto your model bases and it's done. Obviously you can extend the base features (e.g. Grass or rubble or whatever) but it actually looks fine with a black ring around the base too.

The exception to this is that they made the bases for the guard HWT smaller, which is loving dumb as there's no easy fix for that. I have like 15 HWT bases and to rebase them I'd need to use a scalpel to detach them all and then cram them onto a significantly smaller base. So I do have a lot of sympathy for when base sizes get smaller.

Larger though is an easy fix and I'd encourage people to use base extenders.

All that being said a soointed out Guard are still on 25mm bases.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
When really concerned about whether or not something like base size will be allowed in a tournament, always remember:

Mr Owl
Dec 28, 2008

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

When really concerned about whether or not something like base size will be allowed in a tournament, always remember:

Will love this forever!

I guess that edition didn't have alternating unit placement

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Al-Saqr posted:

Shipping might be painful to the ME, and they aren't super cheap themselves, but Vanguard Miniatures makes some incredible looking Epic proxies. Unlike the old GW epic stuff they come with tons of poses, and tons of characters. I think about half my epic collection epic came from Vanguard.

https://vanguardminiatures.co.uk/product-category/defeat-in-detail-6mm/novan-commonwealth/novan-elites-troops/

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Mr Owl posted:

Will love this forever!

I guess that edition didn't have alternating unit placement

The white scars army put their entire force in reserve so the smiling guy just had a bunch of kroot infiltrate there in responsep

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

So I got a email about pre-ordering made to order figures but the link goes nowhere and there's nothing on their website for it. That's not me missing something right, that's a GW gently caress up, yeah?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

The email most likely got sent out early, I just checked the US Webstore and it's still on the Warhammer day pre-orders.
So a bit of a gently caress up yeah.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
They sent out that email when UK pre-orders went up at 10am BST, but USA & Canada can't order until 10am PST.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Does anyone have a contemptor and a helbrute they can take a picture of side by side? I hate the helbrute model and would rather run a spiky contemptor but I want to make sure they're of similar size/same base size

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Both are on 60mm bases, and that's something that's usually listed on their store page.

Don't forget they've also started doing size comparison images, mostly for newer releases sadly but I think some older ones have gotten ones as well. Although not the Helbrute in this case.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Cooked Auto posted:

Both are on 60mm bases, and that's something that's usually listed on their store page.

Don't forget they've also started doing size comparison images, mostly for newer releases sadly but I think some older ones have gotten ones as well. Although not the Helbrute in this case.

I've not got a contemptor to compare with, but I have a dark vengeance hellbrute and it's about 80mm to the top of the powerfist it's waving around.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Woooowww check it out you guys I found the warhammer army I painted 20 years ago!!

Any comments and critiques for the child version of me? lol

Also I took some fun comparison pics of my old and new marines!

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
I love the blue on your new infernus marines, how did you do that

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Al-Saqr posted:

Sure!

https://youtu.be/m3p_VuPIS2c?si=uyY4__M27nrmrlBg

(that rules, I also have some ancient babby-painted space marines lying in the attic somewhere, from forever ago. Maybe I should find and immortalise them)

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Al-Saqr posted:

Woooowww check it out you guys I found the warhammer army I painted 20 years ago!!

This guy is my new favourite space marine

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

My first thought when I saw that was that he's definitely a good entry for a "Thin your paints 2" video. :v:

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Al-Saqr posted:

Those look great for painted-as-a-kid minis!

When I look back, I can't help but ask: did they just hide inks/washes from us as children? Like my modern minis look way better than my old minis, but AFAIK I mostly just... use washes now?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

OctaMurk posted:

I love the blue on your new infernus marines, how did you do that

thanks man

(1) army painter spray crystal blue primer

(2) Vallejo Blue-green and Light-blue-green

(3) Vallejo Game Color Magic Blue and Sunrise Blue

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

coelomate posted:

When I look back, I can't help but ask: did they just hide inks/washes from us as children? Like my modern minis look way better than my old minis, but AFAIK I mostly just... use washes now?

A large part of it is that there were very few resources for learning good techniques, unless you knew where to look for it or literally bought guides at hobby stores

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Pretty sure they weren't all that great back in the day, stuff like chestnut ink and such did show up in painting steps but then I think they had a far more specific application. The real change happened during the massive paint system overhaul when we got Agrax and so on.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

coelomate posted:

Idk if they did, but I remember after surviving off allowance paints, my grandma got me the full GW paint set back during I wanna say late 4th/early 5th? for a hanukkah gift and it was a lifechanger.

Dumpstering Chestnut Ink over a motherfucker and declaring "yes... I am an artist"

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

coelomate posted:

2002 Saudi Arabia was not a great place to find out how to paint minis properly even the internet was useless back then. Once I was back home from the US when I bought 3rd edition and some paints I might as well have been on a different planet lol.

I did not know about primer paint so I just went to a hardware store and bought the first black spray I found which is why you're seing such a thick base coat lol

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

coelomate posted:

Not sure the timeframe, but way back washes were something you pretty much had to make yourself. I remember being taught to make a black wash for chainmail on my dwarves by a older guy (probably 30, but I was 13 or so and everyone over 20 was ancient) at the game shop. It was like he was passing down ancient, secret wisdom.

I never even heard of inks until the mid-'00s at the earliest.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

The old painting guides were just this

With apply basecoats -> eavy metal standard mini

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

Al-Saqr posted:

The thing that really strikes me is that from a distance, zoomed out, this army looks pretty good (except for the bare bases and the inexplicable orc). I guess that is why even bad painters like myself are able to put together armies that look good on the tabletop.

I didn't realise Space Marines had grown that much larger, though. Will they keep growing indefinitely?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Athas posted:

The thing that really strikes me is that from a distance, zoomed out, this army looks pretty good (except for the bare bases and the inexplicable orc).

The person who introduced me to the very concept of warhammer when i was a baby in 1997 ( by giving me the 1997 buyers catalogue that had that amazing painting of Asmodai on it) gave me his 2nd edition warhammer box that came with the monopose space marines and orcs at around the same time i got 3rd edition in 2002. I have that box and the OG orks and Gretchin in it.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
My very first exposure to 40k was a highschool friend who had the 3rd edition blood angels codex for some reason. Being a fan of RTS games I was immediately enamored with the tiny tanks and dudes with missile launchers. Few years later I got into Dawn of War and the rest was history.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Cooked Auto posted:

Pretty sure they weren't all that great back in the day, stuff like chestnut ink and such did show up in painting steps but then I think they had a far more specific application. The real change happened during the massive paint system overhaul when we got Agrax and so on.

I specifically remember reading painting articles in Dragon Magazine in the late 80's and they said "Apply Chesnut Ink" and I thought "What the hell is an ink?" because nobody locally sold actual citadel paints so I'd never even seen it for sale.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

coelomate posted:

Probably the most trouble I've ever been in was when I knocked a whole tub of flesh wash onto my bedroom carpet as an 11 or 12 year old, and I include the time a policeman came to the door to ask if I lived there.

There's so many resources now for how to paint, like has been said but it's also super easy to get your hands on decent gear now too if you live in the sticks. Like I knew about drilling and pinning, and actually nice paint brushes that WEREN'T reused from a poundshop paint by numbers set, but locally there was a camera shop that sometimes sold airfix poo poo and that was it for me in the late nineties.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

We knew what ink and drybrushing was in the early 90s. Most people just sucked at it.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

How many Lictors (of any type) can I take in an army?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
3 Lictors, 3 Neurolictors, Deathleaper, and if you count Von Ryan's Leapers up to 18 of those (3 units of 6).