Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

kecske posted:

if there's money to be made you can find people to tell you whatever you want

Yeah, my kid's in a public school with a special autism department, but right next door there's an international school with the name written in English and Urdu and a more classic private school with better teachers and fewer kids. Also richer kids probably. Schools are a great way to extract money from parents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

RBC posted:

i cant believe theres people out there saying their kindergartener is "gifted" to the point where theres a whole loving school for them

what do they do, colour inside the lines?

Yeah these are just rich people who understand implicitly that getting their kid into elite institutions and programs will give them a leg up.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

RBC posted:

i cant believe theres people out there saying their kindergartener is "gifted" to the point where theres a whole loving school for them

I can report our experience being evaluated for a gifted program (not school): the kindergartener is testing 99th percentile in English reading and comprehension and 90th percentile in Spanish reading and comprehension (despite starting Spanish basically cold in August). The theory is that she inherently gets breaking down language (which is a big chunk of the upcoming instruction) and is applying it to Spanish.

If there's a referral it will come after they test math skills in the next quarter. I'm assuming she'll come back to earth then because she's growing up with humanities nerds for parents and hasn't gotten the same hyper-exposure to math as she has to language.

just_a_person
Mar 13, 2019

AxGrap posted:

Post your kid playlist:

Shockingly similar to my soon to be 5 yo kid music taste. His first song he sang all the way through was Pursuit of Happiness. Last year the preschool sent us a video of him singing pumped up kicks during a game of tug of war. I only get away with it cuz my wife thought the song was about shoes. I am definitely paying for it now cuz he will occasionally drop a random f-bomb in perfect context.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
My 4 year olds jams:

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

RBC posted:

We got our kids into public school "gifted" programs starting in kindergarten and it is definitely ridiculous and despicable to categorize kids by "intelligence", especially at such a young age. My older kid had to write a standardized test (IIRC the Naglieri Nonverbal Ability Test and something else) when they were four years old to get into the program which was absurd.

However sometimes these gifted program classrooms can be relatively well resourced and/or have smaller class sizes which drives a lot of the interest. Class sizes at our kids' old school are 25-30 students which IMO is too much and unfair to both the children and teachers.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

just_a_person posted:

I am definitely paying for it now cuz he will occasionally drop a random f-bomb in perfect context.

letting kids swear if they use it in appropriate contexts is ftw actually

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Wow the Terrible Twos are aptly named, aren't they? Ever since he turned 2 a couple of weeks ago he's been on a regular "let's have a tantrum about absolutely nothing" binge.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

to be fair some of us don't grow out of it

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Microplastics posted:

Wow the Terrible Twos are aptly named, aren't they? Ever since he turned 2 a couple of weeks ago he's been on a regular "let's have a tantrum about absolutely nothing" binge.

Just wait until what we affectionately coined the Threenager phase.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Yeah my daughter was fine at two but three is a challenge

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

Bar Ran Dun posted:

I was programming and already posting on the early internet at that age.

My condolences.

What's 2E?

just_a_person posted:

Shockingly similar to my soon to be 5 yo kid music taste. His first song he sang all the way through was Pursuit of Happiness. Last year the preschool sent us a video of him singing pumped up kicks during a game of tug of war. I only get away with it cuz my wife thought the song was about shoes. I am definitely paying for it now cuz he will occasionally drop a random f-bomb in perfect context.

Please teach me how to influence my child's music taste.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

silvergoose posted:

Just wait until what we affectionately coined the Threenager phase.

Or the fournado
Or the five.... Wait I'm being told by state just voted for all day kindergarten

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I'm pretty sure it gets easier at like the early 20s or something?

Six year old is definitely easier than 1 year old in my current experience, although the challenges are different

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
at my sons three year birthday party when everyone was about to sing Happy Birthday to him he shouted "NO! I want Purple Rain!" and so we put that on and we all sang Purple Rain together.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

at my sons three year birthday party when everyone was about to sing Happy Birthday to him he shouted "NO! I want Purple Rain!" and so we put that on and we all sang Purple Rain together.

KingPrince poo poo

Junkiebev
Jan 18, 2002

Feel the progress.

Microplastics posted:

at 2 they don't know they are being assholes - at 3, they do

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

This is what gifted and talented should look like.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Junkiebev posted:

at 2 they don't know they are being assholes - at 3, they do

it's this

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Votskomit posted:

What's 2E?

twice exceptional. having both a learning disability and G&T. it’s a big part of the problem with identifying them. and it’s why most of them they need help, and why it’s so objectionable that wealthy parents co-opt the programs.

just_a_person
Mar 13, 2019

quote:

Please teach me how to influence my child's music taste.

I made an effort to never let him listen to kids music or cocomelon when he was young, and I would sing and play guitar with him every night when he was young acoustical pop and rap songs. We only listened to music we liked so I think he picked up our taste, or at least adult music taste. Definitely paid off cuz we do karaoke night and he can sing from memory Circles by Post Malone.

We were at a wedding last month and he heard Everyone wants to rule the world for the first time and now its his new fav song, which I dont feel to bad about. He learned to sing it in a few days and thats all he does now on karaoke night.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
the polyrhythm in that song is loving amazing. there's like a six-hit drum beat on top of some skipping bass notes and it's so drat good.

Reggie Watts pointed this out on a CBB episode actually.

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

just_a_person posted:

I made an effort to never let him listen to kids music or cocomelon when he was young, and I would sing and play guitar with him every night when he was young acoustical pop and rap songs. We only listened to music we liked so I think he picked up our taste, or at least adult music taste. Definitely paid off cuz we do karaoke night and he can sing from memory Circles by Post Malone.

That's awesome. Thanks for the advice, I'm gonna start playing my Game OVA Nightcore remixes with her.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

twice exceptional. having both a learning disability and G&T. it’s a big part of the problem with identifying them. and it’s why most of them they need help, and why it’s so objectionable that wealthy parents co-opt the programs.

Aah. Wow that does sound tough. Jeez.

Thank you for the explanation.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

just_a_person posted:

I would sing and play guitar with him every night

This can backfire. A three year old singing Portishead's Wandering Star in a dark room at night is loving freaky.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

kids are so wild to me. our one and a half year old runs into poo poo and falls off poo poo constantly, no problem. today, as I'm watching her directly , she slowly walks into a dresser, big gash and lump on her forehead. what the hell man

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Tatsuta Age posted:

kids are so wild to me. our one and a half year old runs into poo poo and falls off poo poo constantly, no problem. today, as I'm watching her directly , she slowly walks into a dresser, big gash and lump on her forehead. what the hell man

uh I know kids do that, but also you should prioritize vision exams as soon as those are feasible

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

yeah for sure, she was looking at her arms and singing a miss rachel song as she did it, she just wasn't looking. more of a "how did you explode from such a slow crash" kinda thing

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Pajama Sam is an amazing game for teaching a kid how to use a mouse.

It's also amazing for reminding an old man that autosave didn't exist back then. Had to redo the first 40+ minutes with the 4yo, luckily she didn't mind

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

my kids do this thing where they beg me for a new video game (i.e. Super Mario Wonder) and then I tell them they either need to pool their money to buy it or ask Santa for it since it's the middle of goddamn October.

so instead they just watch let's plays of the game and ruin the entirety of discovering anything in it when they eventually do play it.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Yep that's just how videogames are these days

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
my kid wasn't really interested in playing mario until I turned on a speed running video one day, now they're like "that looks easy" then dies repeatedly on 1-1

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Found all the Asterix comics (English edition) posted on the internet archive and my older kid is just loving Obelix beating the poo poo out of Romans.

They previously enjoyed reading the Tintin series and Captain Haddock's loud drunken rants. Unfortunately Tintin really has not aged well.

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

my kid wasn't really interested in playing mario until I turned on a speed running video one day, now they're like "that looks easy" then dies repeatedly on 1-1
That first goomba, nightmares.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
That first goomba probably has one of the highest kill counts in gaming.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

AgentF posted:

That first goomba probably has one of the highest kill counts in gaming.

... I'm trying to think of something that might be higher and I can't come up with one. Maybe the ghosts as a whole in pacman.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

yeah to beat that you have to take all enemies of a type as a single entity (like rocks in Asteroids or something)

wait maybe the yeti in SkiFree, because once you know how to play Mario you can get past that goomba easily but there is no escape from yeti

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

loquacius posted:

yeah to beat that you have to take all enemies of a type as a single entity (like rocks in Asteroids or something)

wait maybe the yeti in SkiFree, because once you know how to play Mario you can get past that goomba easily but there is no escape from yeti

Well it depends if the ghosts are four times higher, since it averages to at least one of them being higher.

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

loquacius posted:

Hold f to go faster and escape the yeti.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

the new Among Us map dropped today and my kids are straight up losing their loving minds over it.

just_a_person
Mar 13, 2019
Teaching my soon to be 5 yo son to read, and he read zoo and food just fine, but then got to book and got confused cuz the oo makes a different sound. I told him its because English is stupid. He tells me he has a secret for me. He leans in close and says, "English is gently caress".

That came out from nowhere, but I don't disagree with him. I have no idea how we just remember all these stupid rules of what y, i, a, etc.. Is English the language with the most rules on how letters sound since we borrowed so many words?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

just_a_person posted:

Teaching my soon to be 5 yo son to read, and he read zoo and food just fine, but then got to book and got confused cuz the oo makes a different sound. I told him its because English is stupid. He tells me he has a secret for me. He leans in close and says, "English is gently caress".

That came out from nowhere, but I don't disagree with him. I have no idea how we just remember all these stupid rules of what y, i, a, etc.. Is English the language with the most rules on how letters sound since we borrowed so many words?

my kid is almost three and is picking up new words and phrases like crazy, and something along the lines hit me the other day. something like “would you like cereal?” must be a fiendishly hard thing to puzzle out when heard in proximity to “careful with your socks on the wood floor”, which probably explains some of the pausing and processing I see happening a lot. stick with it kiddo, it’s going to get a lot harder before it gets easier.