Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

TotalLossBrain posted:

Most crashes happen within 5 miles of home they say

I guess you're probably fine on a Greek island then. Safest, statistically speaking

No way man if you can't get further than 5 miles from home you're permanently in the danger zone!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
Glad that wasn’t worse and thank you for the reminder.

I’m really good about boots/riding shoes and armored jeans but I do skip them occasionally on my scooter since it’s a step through. Never for longer rides, but … well, for those <5 miles trips where I’m most likely to crash.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

epswing posted:

Yikes. Guess it could’ve been worse. Glad you’re ok.

The only piece missing from my usual gear is pants. I typically wear plain jeans, which I know is about the same as wearing nothing at all, but I haven’t come around yet to spending ~$500 on a single pair of Tobaccos.

What’s a tried/true brand that offers good protection for someone that doesn’t care about form/style at all, and is perhaps half as expensive? Even if they offer half the protection, it’ll be infinitely more protection than normal jeans.

Or am I thinking about this wrong and should just spend $1k on a couple pairs of the expensive stuff?

https://www.mcgearhub.com/motorcycle-pants/best-motorcycle-jeans-by-safety-updated-list-guide/#Class-AAA-motorcycle-jeans-list-brands

Some good soul compiled all the AAA rated riding jeans, great to see so many options. Even the big names like Dianese and Revit are on the list in the 200-350 dollar range, no need to overpay for Tabaccos, which while probably offering good protection aren't actually rated afaik.

Hope your toe feels better soon Beve! What sort of moto shoes/boots do you normally wear?

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I have some mediocre boots, the rest of my gear is solid. What are some good boots that aren't literal racing boots? I have a real time figuring this out and just give up.

By the way, if you like leather these Noru ones are on special for $99, I wear them, really comfortable. The leather is pretty thick and they have knee armor.

https://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/pants/cruiser_leather_pants_and_chaps/noru/kuro_leather_pant.html

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Rusty posted:

I have some mediocre boots, the rest of my gear is solid. What are some good boots that aren't literal racing boots? I have a real time figuring this out and just give up.

By the way, if you like leather these Noru ones are on special for $99, I wear them, really comfortable. The leather is pretty thick and they have knee armor.

https://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/pants/cruiser_leather_pants_and_chaps/noru/kuro_leather_pant.html

RevIt and Daytona make good not race boots. They are expensive though.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

I've liked both Ariat Workhogs (not the cowboy ones) and Belleville flight deck boots enough to re-purchase them multiple times, they have reinforced toes and double as rain boots. Not reinforced at the ankle, but I'm willing to trade that for boots I can just wear all day.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I've kind of given up on riding jeans. I have a pair of Klim, and they are OK but not comfortable over long periods of time. I ended up wearing mine off bike for like 4-5 hours, and it was borderline miserable. Even on bike the mesh liner becomes like 100 pressure points. You have a were a base layer underneath, which seems like the opposite of the point. I tried those Rev'it Reed jeans but they fit mostly the same as the Klim, but have a button fly which is impossible to use since there's no stretch material? There's no liner, so I think they may be more comfortable to wear, but I returned them so who knows! I feel like for commuting the ADV dad gear is the way to go and just wear normal clothes under it. I bought a fairly subdued goretex jacket from Rev'it a couple months ago, and I think I want to get some overpants to go along with it.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Now that I’ve owned my 2016 vfr 800f for a season(about 10k km )and it is in winter storage I can do a retrospective.

1.Vtech yo is hilarious and is a recommended experience for all ages and riders.
2.Full sport forward tank rest doesn’t work for how I want to ride. I’m too much touring. I added bar risers.
3. V4 in in a sport chassis is really confidence inspiring. No vibrations, smooth,, torque on tap everywhere in the rev range.
4. Honda quality is not gone.good tech solutions.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

If you think a vfr800 is a sporty riding position I recommend never riding an actual sportbike so as to prevent permanent injury lol

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
I have no clue on actual sports bikes and their ergonomics, but from what I've read the vfr 2014+ redesign had them more forward lean then the earlier generations.
but yeah, I have core strength for the riding position, but my approach to bikes is touring and comfort, being it gravel or road. There is hardly room to safely ride and enjoy the modest omph my vfr provides on the non main roads I prefer. I think that to actually use a proper 150+ hp sports bike id have to change how and where I ride. Which I have no reason to, I love the techincal winding historical farm road that was never straightened, just asphalted.
From what I gather from reviews and ze internets for my riding a proper sports bike would be wasted or dadded up to 11 for me to enjoy it and live with it.

Supradog fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Oct 22, 2023

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah absolutely, even a modern 600 is really far too fast to get meaningful fun out of on the road

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Sportbikes seem kind of pointless outside of riding on a track IMO. Speaking of, I finally went to Laguna Seca :hellyeah: I’ve been to 4-6 tracks now, depending on how you count. It was awesome. You spend way more time on the side of the tire compared to other tracks, especially on a 300. Sonoma is comparable on paper but it just doesn’t feel the same (I do love Sonoma, though). I actually hadn’t ridden since my last track day 3 months ago, so I kind of struggled all day with the basics. I locked up my rear on downshifts many, many times, and found myself holding on for dear life through turn 2 towards the start of each session :smith: I did about 140 miles before we packed it in for the day. My target laptime was 2:00 or better. I don’t know how I came up with that number necessarily, but the best I managed was only 2:01.6 :negative: When I had clear track I was lapping mostly between 2:03-2:04. Definitely could have gone a lot faster through turn 10. Probably gave up a lot of time/speed on turns 3 and 5 as well. Turn 6 has a huge dip at the apex and kind of freaked me out. When I went through full beans my side stand would smack the track, so I frequently rolled out a little and crawled up the hill to the Cork Screw. My absolute favorite part of the track is through the Cork Screw and down through Rainey Curve. I thought turn 1 would be scary, and on a fast bike it probably is, but it was basically nothing on my bike. Turn 2, the Andretti Hairpin, is also rad and by far the deepest I’ve ever trail braked through a turn. I try to brake up to the apex but it doesn’t always happen, because a lot of the time I've slowed down too much. I think because the braking zone for turn 2 is while you're still turning some, I didn't brake as hard, and I was almost always braking well past the first apex and could feel the tire digging into the track, in a good way. It definitely was confidence boosting and nice to actually do it properly and consistently for once.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Have you ever actually tried a sports bike? A 600cc sports is super fun. They are really sharp and precise, everything works perfectly for road riding. They're just not very comfortable and compromised in other ways.

Like yes small bikes are great for learners and a litre is too powered to really have fun but sports bikes are amazing machines.

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

Go on, take the money and run.
Seca is essentially my backyard. It's about 6 miles from me as the crow flies. Now the actual roads to get there make it take about 30 minutes, but by bike they're pretty freaking sweet roads so I'm not complaining.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

knox_harrington posted:

Have you ever actually tried a sports bike? A 600cc sports is super fun. They are really sharp and precise, everything works perfectly for road riding. They're just not very comfortable and compromised in other ways.

Like yes small bikes are great for learners and a litre is too powered to really have fun but sports bikes are amazing machines.

Depends on what “actually tried” means to you. I’ve ridden an RC51 and 1098 on the road, and an R6 on the track (RS660 and R7 too, if those count). But I’ve never really ridden one in a meaningful way IMO, because it was either just on the street for 20-30 minutes or someone else’s bike I wasn’t going to take outside my comfort zone.

To me I just don’t see why you’d want an R6 over an MT-09 for just normal, real world riding. The ergos, gearing, and power band are all largely oriented towards track riding.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah even a 600 is designed for corners far faster and more open than you find on the road, it just isn't fun to ride them at what amounts to a really slow pace when you can get a slower bike and rider the wheels off of it

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Does new zealand have asphalt roads yet?

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I tried several different pairs of riding jeans before I found some that I liked (Rokker RokkerTech Rider). Stupid name and marketing to match but the jeans are made well, they don't look any different than street jeans minus the slightly visible armor, CE AA rated, and are more than comfortable enough to wear all day.

I have a pair of never-worn-on-the-bike Klim K52 jeans in 32x34 (I think) if anyone wants them. They look and fit like dad jeans, wasn't a fan.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

All this discussion leads me to believe that something like a hypermotard/mt09 is the perfect street bike.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Russian Bear posted:

a hypermotard is the perfect street bike.

Been saying this all along!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

knox_harrington posted:

This response sort of makes me ask if you have ever tried a true 600cc sportbike. I owned a GSXR-600 for a couple years, and it would do, if I recall correctly, 75mph indicated in first gear.

That means that in order to be in the rev range where the engine really comes alive in any gear except first, you’re breaking the speed limit, by default. Which is fine, but it’s a tough way to have to deal with the bike.

They ARE very sharp and precise and provide a lot of feedback, which means that unless your local roads are racetrack-like smooth, all the irregularities, bumps and nastiness just gets hammered into your spine and wrists

They are nearly as imperfect as can be for road riding. They are clearly meant to excel on a racetrack.

Now, if we’re talking 600cc sports bike-likes, like the 600cc katana, fazer, or something like an f4i, then yes, I’d agree that those are much better road bikes because they’re much softer.

A liter bike will at least provide usable and fun torque at road-legal speeds, whereas a 600 is an unresponsive lump mostly until you get it into the 5-digit rev range.

That’s my experience anyway. When I sold my gsxr I did wish I had a 750 or 1K for all the reasons mentioned, but I was at an age where the 600cc insurance was already really expensive, so I passed.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I've owned two, a 99 CBR600FX and a 2005 CBR600RR, both were excellent for riding in the UK. I now have the CBR1000RR which is mostly unsuitable for Switzerland because the roads are very twisty.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
My buddy can’t figure out how to scratch his “be fun on public roads” itch and it keeps getting him on bigger bikes. He went from a Honda cbr500r to a gsxr600 to a zx10r over a couple years. He wants to go super fast and have fun but he doesn’t want to put in the effort of learning how engines work.

I’m over here on my R3 gripping and ripping at 55mph, vibrating at 12 thousand engine things and having an absolute blast.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Gonna agree with the hive mind that a Hypermotard would fit the bill for your mate. I'm not saying that small bikes aren't fun, just that sports bikes are too.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
He’s not gonna listen. He has mad squid energy.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Trick him into getting on any supermoto and hopefully he’ll see the light.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

New R7 with a wide open pipe. It'll make all the obnoxious noises a squid loves, looks just like an R1 (to the average person at least), but be a bike that's actually fun on the road.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Does anyone here have an R7 cause if I got another street bike that would be it.

I just think they’re neat.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The 750 sportbike class being allowed to die off was one of our greatest failures as a species and bless Suzuki for keeping it alive all these years.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Beve Stuscemi posted:

The 750 sportbike class being allowed to die off was one of our greatest failures as a species and bless Suzuki for keeping it alive all these years.

Yeah this

Gsxr750 is basically a 600 you can use irl

Or alternatively, a literbike you can actually enjoy irl

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Suzuki may have left motogp but they are keeping your area squid stocked.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Looking at this poo poo lol

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
lol you had me fooled with the fake spoiler at the bottom

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

Fun day for the vaporware electric motorcycle scam companies. First, I wake up to an exciting email from Lightning announcing a Q&A webinar session in about a week. Can you think of any exciting questions?

Next, Damon announced a shell-game style reverse merger to try and scare up some investor money and be taken seriously on the stock market.

What a blessed day.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I love the electrogrift :allears:

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

I'm gonna be the next bitcoin!

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
My electro bike uses a 528 blockchain :smugdog:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Speaking of useless poo poo nobody asked for, classic buell still exists post-erik and they're gonna make millions selling this

Millions I tell ya, pre-order now while you still can!

E-P
Apr 21, 2016
Doesnt even have foward controls? Looks like an accident waiting to happen at the front sprocket. In the promo pics they have a guy wearing laced boots near that thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Slavvy posted:

Speaking of useless poo poo nobody asked for, classic buell still exists post-erik and they're gonna make millions selling this

Millions I tell ya, pre-order now while you still can!

quote:

What do you get when you combine a light and powerful Buell ET-V2 V-twin engine and some key Buell components with the magic of Roland Sands Design? Potentially a whole new motorcycle category.
……….

The design mashes together cruiser and sportbike features—a low seat, set-back riding position, and long rake combined with a liquid-cooled, high-performance 1190cc 72-degree V-twin and mid-position foot controls. The power-to-weight ratio is impressive, and the platform looks ripe for customization, with any number of cool iterations developed.

Lmao at writing this article, not knowing muscle cruisers are definitely a thing that exists and having your mind blown by seeing one for the first time