Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
Okay but actually why isn’t the Dbacks mascot a rattlesnake, is it the snakes can’t have legs thing 😭

The little bobcat guy is hilarious but they should’ve named him Bob

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Vote for me for president I will eliminate sports fana whining (Cardinals fans are no longer allowed outside of St Louis)

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Sab0921 posted:

Or Altuve in 2019.

Also folks. Go Astros.

I think they meant a road team going ahead not a walkoff

Also that game was tied the Astros weren't down

e: I'm pretty annoyed at all the comparisons I'm seeing this morning between Adolis and Altuve regarding their homeruns as far as how they reacted. Yes Adolis got a lot more animated than Altuve. So what? Why do we have this weird obsession with stoicism and never enjoying things?

e2: not here obviously. And yes I know the correct response is to get off twitter

Intruder fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Oct 21, 2023

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Sab0921 posted:

Would you say "he is one of the good ones"?

Please stop posting.

zoux posted:

This would be like if Houston’s mascot was an O ring seal

Is there a word for when you both love and hate a joke in equal measure

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Any team that goes to an LCS seven straight years with four WS trips and two rings is already going to be reviled by most of the other fans in baseball. Doing The Cans and The Buzzers is just an exponential modifier.

The vast majority of Astrosposts are fine. The GDTs are meant for doomposting. poo poo, if my doomposting actually got results I would become even more insufferable.

There are times when the attitudes of, "You only hate us cos we're good," "When are you gonna get over The Cans?" and the like are annoying and it's fun to take the piss out of Astrosposters sometimes, but some reactions really take it too far.

I will never like Altuve, Bregman, Springer, Correa, and the rest of The Cans Crew. Especially Yuli Gurriel since he did A Racism at my beautiful boy.

Tucker and Yordan are very good and it's really annoying that they just reloaded with such talent.

None of this is the fault of the SAS Astrosposting community.

Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

every single fanbase has people meltdown and doompost because playoff baseball is extremely stressful but that does not mean it is not embarrassing or funny to see when it's not your team.

as a person who constantly doomposts and melts down and is extremely annoying except my team stinks

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Speakign of anxiety, for my fellow MLB app users who can't wait 15 seconds for the next pitch, how do they get all that info up there so fast? Not only type and speed, but break and spin rate, and the pitch arcs make a decent approximation of the actual pitch (see the Yordan HBP from the other night). How much of it is automated and how much is very fast data entry?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The whole point of GDTs is it gives us a place to let our emotions in the moment fly. Sometimes that means doomposting, sometimes that means going crazy celebrating, nearly 100% of the time it means overreacting to every little thing because the first batter of the game for your team struck out so now it's game over man. That's the distinction between the GDT and the more levelheaded N/V posting

Also doomposting helps your team win

Phillies fans were doing the "I refuse to doompost" thing last night and look what happened

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

zoux posted:

Speakign of anxiety, for my fellow MLB app users who can't wait 15 seconds for the next pitch, how do they get all that info up there so fast? Not only type and speed, but break and spin rate, and the pitch arcs make a decent approximation of the actual pitch (see the Yordan HBP from the other night). How much of it is automated and how much is very fast data entry?

I would assume it’s all automated except for maybe pitch type identification? Just because some pitch types can vary wildly between pitchers or have kind of a loose definition?

Or maybe it’s all automated by this point.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I don't know how much is automated these days but I definitely remember trying to get a job as a stat stringer like 15 years ago, basically the guy who enters the info for gameday to use after each pitch

Didn't get it

e: Poque would maybe know the most about this? (Or is it Popete? Which one of you works for the Cubs?)

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Something about seeing In Play, Run(s) on the MLB app is way more stressful than watching live, so if I’m away from a TV I just leave notifications off and check Yahoo periodically. Or I’ll listen to the audio if I’m driving even though it’s like 1.5 minutes behind

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Bregor posted:

Especially Yuli Gurriel since he did A Racism at my beautiful boy.
Remember when he was suspended for this during the World Series but Manfred said it would be a bummer if he actually had to miss a World Series game so they let him serve the suspension the next year while he was injured in April?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the mlb app/gamecast is ahead of the TV and the terrestrial and absurdly (like 3 batters) ahead of the MLB app radio feed that it's a tough supplemental watch.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

illcendiary posted:

Something about seeing In Play, Run(s) on the MLB app is way more stressful than watching live

absolute facts. 30-45 seconds of begging it to be a homer/not be a homer

e: also when the app goes silent for like a full minute between pitches and you're closing it and opening it trying to get it to update

Intruder fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Oct 21, 2023

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

R.D. Mangles posted:

the mlb app/gamecast is ahead of the TV and the terrestrial and absurdly (like 3 batters) ahead of the MLB app radio feed that it's a tough supplemental watch.

Last night it was a full AB ahead of my broadcast

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Intruder posted:

e: also when the app goes silent for like a full minute between pitches and you're closing it and opening it trying to get it to update

Any time the app hangs for more than 30 seconds I assume either something fucky happened like a wild pitch or BLAN, or there's a replay review.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

-ON FIELD DELAY-

- GARCIA HBP-

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Nice one Dbacks....nice one

https://x.com/Dbacks/status/1715756438621126855?s=20

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Clearly piping in crowd noise at Chase Field, nothing compared to the organic die-hard atmosphere at CBP. Sad WWE level stuff

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Intruder posted:

e: Poque would maybe know the most about this? (Or is it Popete? Which one of you works for the Cubs?)

It's not me because I would most definetly have been fired by now for yelling at management to RE-SIGN CODY BELLINGER

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Please stop posting.

Hey. I hope you have a great day and there are many mad Yankee and Dodger posters here today for you to simp for

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Sab0921 posted:

Hey. I hope you have a great day and there are many mad Yankee and Dodger posters here today for you to simp for

I just prefer to not post like a teenage troll :shrug:

zoux posted:

-ON FIELD DELAY-

- GARCIA HBP-

I had to miss the end of the game yesterday and it made me really wish the app would have someone at each park adding contextual summaries to atypical Gameday updates. I had no idea what the benches clearing was about until I read the GDT later.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh also how about Grae Kessenger with that insane snag. I was worried about pulling the GG elite shortstop who's made a number of game saving plays in the postseason, but this guy who's like the last guy on the bench gets called up in g5 of the WS with a one run lead in the ninth and gets a laser hit above his head by one of the leagues best hitters and makes a great play to save a run. I've seen better leaping catches off of harder hit balls but this guy was basically pulled out of the stands and given a glove and told, alright kid, try not to gently caress it up. He had to be ice cold going into the bottom of that inning.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Kessinger has always been considered to have a plus plus glove IIRC

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

trying to use meek and always sunny against us? bold strategy

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

https://twitter.com/danielle_lerner/status/1715795991213781323

I continue to like Dusty as a person but still want anyone else to be the manager

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
They should just create like a Morale Officer title or something so Dusty can still be in the dugout doing Dusty things and being beloved by everyone while someone else makes decisions.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

I kinda gave up on doubting Dusty a bit ago, obvious analytical decisions be damned. He’s literally been in the World Series or one game away from it every single year

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
:hmmyes:

I’ll continue to wear my In Dusty We Trusty hoodie even as he appears to mismanage lineups and starters

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

From that perspective he's the most successful manager in Astros history.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

https://twitter.com/Jared_Carrabis/status/1715531840075813176

jeter come on man

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Derek Jeter seems like he hates any kind of social interaction and I don't understand why he's on TV

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Yeah Jeter's recent need to be in the public eye is bewildering

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I like how the extremely red A-Rod makes a bad joke, gets zero reaction, then starts laughing at his own joke

Then 30 seconds later repeats the joke and gets zero reaction again

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Jeter refusing to look like jon voigt in Midnight Cowboy and is somehow being criticized for this, very shameful

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Somehow ARod is not the worst person in that group

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Jeter c’mon man. Just do the bit.

“You look like my man from Toy Story! :haw:

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

That is what my son would say is "cringe"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Edit: How in the world did this double post.