Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you agree?
Yes, you are hurting the content creator's™ feelings and future
No, youtube is infringing on my rights with anti-ad blocker ads
Just click out and suck it up OP lmfao
I watch videos on dailymotion instead
Goku using incognito mode
View Results

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
On the rare times I see ads they are, for all intents and purposes, completely untargeted. I get rear end for anime games, or survivalist gear, or pregnancy items, or whatever other thing that has no bearing to me.

Notably I don't seem to ever get ads for things I *am* interested in, which makes the whole process loving pointless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The General
Mar 4, 2007

hbag posted:

people use edge?

Only for PDFs, and only because for some reason it turned itself into my default PDF viewer?? Probably when I upgraded to Windows 10. I don't gently caress around with PDFs on my computer enough to change it. But yeah, don't think I've ever used Edge for actually going to a webpage.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
I use it in work because we're not allowed to install anything else. Its fine but I wouldn't want to use it for personal browsing.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

hbag posted:

people use edge?

Works fine for downloading another browser.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The Edge kicks rear end, I definitely recommend everyone except me use it.

fcc compliant bob
Jan 15, 2006

The must un-fantastic avitar on the forum (guranteed!)
HEY WHO HERE DIDNT KNOW NORD VPN LETS YOU WATCH A MOVIE YOU CANT WATCH IN YOUR REGION I MEAN poo poo

Disco Godfather
May 31, 2011

YouTube has a really weird selection of free movies and TV shows. Lately I've been watching The Rifleman.

It's like Andy Griffith with more killing.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Disco Godfather posted:

YouTube has a really weird selection of free movies and TV shows. Lately I've been watching The Rifleman.

It's like Andy Griffith with more killing.

Naw, it has less, they just never show the episodes where Barney met black people.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Still waiting for the hammer to drop but so far no warning message in Firefox or Safari, and my TV app that blocks ads and skips sponsors is still working as normal.

As for targeted ad chat, Instagram thinks I'm a goth and is always sending me ads for goth clothes/jewellery, and suggesting videos from a never ending stream of goth girls and miserable looking bands. Yet I really haven't ever searched for any of that stuff, don't follow any of them, haven't liked or bought anything so I don't get why it keeps suggesting it. My pics are just basic street photography, street art, or gig pics. Kinda baffling.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

If you aren't getting the adblock warning it's because ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE at google has calculated that they'll make more money from not banning you :nsa:

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
followed that psy-op army girl on instagram and now it thinks I'm a zoomer.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

temple posted:

followed that psy-op army girl on instagram and now it thinks I'm a zoomer.

*Likes and subscribes youngly*

How do you do, fellow kids?

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Vegetable posted:

It’ll honestly be much easier to jump through the hoops to subscribe to YouTube Premium at the Argentine price of US$2 than to do this incognito or alternate browser poo poo. $2 is nothing.

Its not an alternative web browser it’s a web browser but sure, switch your vpn to argentina, punch in a credit card and stay logged into google all day instead of just using firefox with a plugin that redirects to invidious.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Strategic Tea posted:

If you aren't getting the adblock warning it's because ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE at google has calculated that they'll make more money from not banning you :nsa:

If you got the warning it means their psychological model shows you are a spineless worm and will give in and turn off the blocker

Still haven't received anything as of today morning on Vivialdi mobile :smugdog:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Strategic Tea posted:

I'm a stingy bugger these days so god knows what they think i'm spending non existent money on.

Still got no warnings from them.

Hold on... am i in the "Control Group"? :stonklol:

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Internet Old One posted:

Its not an alternative web browser it’s a web browser but sure, switch your vpn to argentina, punch in a credit card and stay logged into google all day instead of just using firefox with a plugin that redirects to invidious.
You only have to log in to your VPN once, YouTube doesn’t care to clamp down on it, you can share it with like five other people and you’ll get no ads not only on desktop but also mobile and TV. It’s less the cost of a coffee. It’s one of the most no-brainer things ever if you watch YouTube with any regularity.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Vegetable posted:

You only have to log in to your VPN once, YouTube doesn’t care to clamp down on it, you can share it with like five other people and you’ll get no ads not only on desktop but also mobile and TV. It’s less the cost of a coffee. It’s one of the most no-brainer things ever if you watch YouTube with any regularity.

Or you could not take a recurring $2 expense and just use a different website and browser to watch youtube videos and not browse the web with a logged in google session. Also you can share this with unlimited people for free.

I have never seen youtube’s adblock nagger in my life.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Bertha the Toaster posted:

I use it in work because we're not allowed to install anything else. Its fine but I wouldn't want to use it for personal browsing.

even the computers at my university at least have chrome installed

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Internet Old One posted:

Or you could not take a recurring $2 expense and just use a different website and browser to watch youtube videos and not browse the web with a logged in google session. Also you can share this with unlimited people for free.

I have never seen youtube’s adblock nagger in my life.
Many people watch YouTube on their iPhones and TVs these days.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

those people are wrong and stupid

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Honestly if you own a TV these days I assume you're some kind of couch potato

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

we have a 50 inch tv, my stepdad uses it to play destiny 2

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

hbag posted:

we have a 50 inch tv, my stepdad uses it to play destiny 2

you live with your stepdad?

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

im 21

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Khanstant posted:

Honestly if you own a TV these days I assume you're some kind of couch potato

Or a melee player.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

GABA ghoul posted:

If you got the warning it means their psychological model shows you are a spineless worm and will give in and turn off the blocker

Still haven't received anything as of today morning on Vivialdi mobile :smugdog:

How do you have your Vivaldi mobile configured? I'm really annoyed at how android Firefox handles tabs but Vivaldis adblock isn't as good as ublock.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

ACAB, even Shaq.

thetan_guy42
Oct 15, 2016

murdera

Lipstick Apathy
Wtf there's 21 year old goons

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

thetan_guy42 posted:

Wtf there's 21 year old goons

I was a 21 year old goon... like 21 years ago

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Xun posted:

How do you have your Vivaldi mobile configured? I'm really annoyed at how android Firefox handles tabs but Vivaldis adblock isn't as good as ublock.

Nothing special, I just use it straight out of the box. I'm never logged into YT though and usually open links in a new private tab.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
I was trying out this Windows app and it seems to be working as well: https://github.com/omega-gg/MotionBox

Just turns YouTube (and like 10 other sites) into an ad-less desktop player. Kinda like NewPipe but Windows instead of Android.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!

Zero VGS posted:

I was trying out this Windows app and it seems to be working as well: https://github.com/omega-gg/MotionBox

Just turns YouTube (and like 10 other sites) into an ad-less desktop player. Kinda like NewPipe but Windows instead of Android.

I can't get past that look that every qt app has

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

emSparkly posted:

I can't get past that look that every qt app has

What, the UI on MotionBox? Yeah it is kinda hideous, and it seems to not have a Dark Mode which is the greater sin. If you have an alternative I'm all ears.

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

Last week I was having this message a lot. At one point Youtube even threatened to count to 3 and if I didn't turn off my ad blocker they'd block me from watching anything at all (Literally told me they'd let me watch three more videos lol)

But this week I've had Youtube videos running all day whilst I've been at work at not seen any ads or pop ups. So I guess we're back to business as usual?

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Ditto. Maybe it was just a campaign to encourage Premium sign-ups/turn of ad-blocker and they've ended it for now?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I saw it yesterday.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Watching Youtube with ads these past few days was really surreal, there's so much qanon-type level bullshit getting peddled, it was eye-opening. How is this even legal? I feel like back in the 1800s listening to some quack selling me snake oil from the back of his carriage.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

busalover posted:

Watching Youtube with ads these past few days was really surreal, there's so much qanon-type level bullshit getting peddled, it was eye-opening. How is this even legal? I feel like back in the 1800s listening to some quack selling me snake oil from the back of his carriage.

Depending on who you ask, Capitalism/AIs By Elon Musk/All Social Media Is Deliberately Plagued By Right Wing Propaganda To Embolden The Fascists That Will Kill You

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

SmartTube on my Chromecast GoogleTV keeps working, so I'll stick with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below
I saw the non-timer pop up twice in the last two weeks on Brave desktop, but none since. I’ve had zero issues using Brave iOS.