Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Stickying a thread is the kiss of death. Nobody looks at that poo poo.

People leave their bookmarks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
It’s Aeries not Aerith, nut jobs.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Yeah I don't venture outside of my bookmarked threads unless there's literally a post like that. I mean I guess it makes sense there's dedicated Wonder thread, but :shrug:

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

eightysixed posted:

Oh. Fair enough.
But this thread is nothing but Wonder posts.

e: I haven’t even bought it yet, but this thread is imploding itself with Wonder posts, so I just thought taking it to a dedicated thread would be a good idea.

It was nothing but TotK chat for a couple of months too. It will pass.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, people talking about the latest Switch game in the Switch thread is normal (especially if it’s part of a popular franchise like Zelda or Mario)

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

eightysixed posted:

It’s Aeries not Aerith, nut jobs.

Its both hth

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
Mario Wonder is sold out now but QVC has $30 off holiday deal including some 1st party switch games (Zelda BotW, Zelda TotK, Kirby Forgotten Lands, MarioKart8, etc.)

Thinking of grabbing Pokemon Arceus. I haven't played one since Y on the 3ds and burned out on the gameplay loop but I hear Arceus is different.

Edit: SlickDeals says to add a $1 donation to push the total over $60 to qualify for the $30 discount (HOLIDAY30 promo code at checkout)

Kyoujin fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Oct 21, 2023

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015
in news some may or may not care for, Gargoyles just re-released on the Switch, and you can switch (pun not intended) between the old graphics, or the newer ones. I only ever saw the ads for the old one, so I'm looking forward to seeing what it's like. Also, it's around 15 bucks, which shouldn't be hard on the wallet.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

looks like it’s sold out at qvc?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

https://twitter.com/kn0nker/status/1715796469544796255

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Liking the kid/noob friendly features in SMBW.

See phantoms of other players for hints on how to solve things. Sometimes I’ll jump in place and make the trumpet gesture to hint hard at someone about where to find a secret

Difficulty ratings on levels

Tons of purple coins to buy tons of extra lives

Standees and online players can resurrect you

They add all these features while letting the levels stay the same difficulty

Have any of these been used before in Mario games

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Kyoujin posted:

Mario Wonder is sold out now but QVC has $30 off holiday deal including some 1st party switch games (Zelda BotW, Zelda TotK, Kirby Forgotten Lands, MarioKart8, etc.)

Thinking of grabbing Pokemon Arceus. I haven't played one since Y on the 3ds and burned out on the gameplay loop but I hear Arceus is different.

Edit: SlickDeals says to add a $1 donation to push the total over $60 to qualify for the $30 discount

Arceus is pretty different from the usual Pokemon formula. It's solely focused on filling out the Pokedex, and there are many challenges you can complete to add data to each entry. Also you get to ride around on Pokemon (they replace the HMs, basically). I found it to be very chill and fun.

You might also enjoy Scarlet/Violet. They're more similar to traditional Pokemon games as far as gameplay loop is concerned, but they're also open world, so you can tackle challenges in any order you want. If you got sick of "We're dancing for no reason. Tomorrow we'll be gone for no reason!" and similar in other Pokemon games, Scarlet and Violet would be a nice breath of fresh air!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

Liking the kid/noob friendly features in SMBW.

See phantoms of other players for hints on how to solve things. Sometimes I’ll jump in place and make the trumpet gesture to hint hard at someone about where to find a secret

Difficulty ratings on levels

Tons of purple coins to buy tons of extra lives

Standees and online players can resurrect you

They add all these features while letting the levels stay the same difficulty

Have any of these been used before in Mario games

None of those to my knowledge, no

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
why can't I buy fricken standees in bulk

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009

Silver Falcon posted:

Arceus is pretty different from the usual Pokemon formula. It's solely focused on filling out the Pokedex, and there are many challenges you can complete to add data to each entry. Also you get to ride around on Pokemon (they replace the HMs, basically). I found it to be very chill and fun.

You might also enjoy Scarlet/Violet. They're more similar to traditional Pokemon games as far as gameplay loop is concerned, but they're also open world, so you can tackle challenges in any order you want. If you got sick of "We're dancing for no reason. Tomorrow we'll be gone for no reason!" and similar in other Pokemon games, Scarlet and Violet would be a nice breath of fresh air!

Cool, thanks for the input! Been watching the old anime with my niece and getting the itch to dive into that world again.

Edit: Ended up getting Arceus and a game case for $33 total with promo HOLIDAY30. Not bad

Kyoujin fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Oct 21, 2023

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Laughing about the time another player died and their ghost was running towards me for help and by the time I noticed I had already jumped into a pipe like I was letting the elevator doors close without waiting for somebody

Also the other players ghost that was flying towards me. I was slightly below them and they were slightly above me. We were both running towards each other, but I jumped up to reach them at the same time that they dipped down to reach me and they died before we could course correct

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
The multiplayer truly makes for some incredible comedic moments.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

bumbling around the search stages with a bunch of player ghosts and helping each other solve the puzzles is very fun

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Augus posted:

The closest thing to a complaint I have about Wonder is that Elephant Mario isn't that interesting of a transformation imo. All it can do is whack things with its trunk and splash water. The former is fun but not all that unique, the cape, tanuki, and cat suits all had that too. the latter only really matters in specific contexts where there's a dry plant that needs to be watered.

yeah. it's fun but something as dramatic as an elephant should do more

maybe they don't like reusing powers but seems like a huge missed opportunity to not redesign bee Mario.

Alacron posted:

The multiplayer truly makes for some incredible comedic moments.

"standees must be placed on solid ground" is a genuine revelatory design choice. seeing a standee in mid-air or peeking out from what you assumed was a bottomless pit is such an exciting feeling

I'd buy an entire DLC of those search levels. they are an absolute joy, and they can hide those tokens in super obscure ways thanks to the multiplayer. something about it reminds me of Source mods I used to play

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

American McGay posted:

Who? Seek help brother.

Jeremy Parish is one of the foremost historic who has published like 5 books covering video game history and has a weekly video series going in depth chronologically through video games for the SG-1000, famicom, master system, and NES. His content is informative and interesting, you should check him out.

Stuart Gipp is an average cranky British eccentric, you're right I should get help for knowing his opinions.

Mea Tulpa
Sep 4, 2006

Parish has a lowkey great youtube channel. It's been flying under the radar for years but is absolutely worth a look.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Purple coin economy is broken. Badges and extra lives should cost way more, I practically have a Scrooge McDuck vault full of purple coins. I get that maybe the purple coins are there as training wheels for kids, but even a 10-year-old is going to max out his purple coin counter

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

the economy is hosed up in my 2d mario game for children

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
purple coin exchange rate never recovered from sonic frontiers

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Buy some standees, that will drain your coffers

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

You can max out purple coins so easily, they should've added costumes you can buy for each character

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Nitro deck owners: can you turn off the lighted button?
Watching the wulff den video and trying to resist buying it.
Strike 1 is the nft thing.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Wah-hoo!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

otter posted:

Nitro deck owners: can you turn off the lighted button?
Watching the wulff den video and trying to resist buying it.
Strike 1 is the nft thing.

The stick and dpad placement is really bad, as he says in the video

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

John Wick of Dogs posted:

The stick and dpad placement is really bad, as he says in the video

Switch owners desperate to own a Deck but only if made by Nintendo

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Is Mario Wonder the weirdest game since Yoshi's Island? Since SMB2 USA?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Barreft posted:

Switch owners desperate to own a Deck but only if made by Nintendo

I own one, I haven't really touched it in months. Probably will soon though

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

Mr.Acula posted:

Its both hth

I know. I was just trying to derail the Wonder talk and get people to talk about Wonder in the Wonder thread :v:
Poor troll attempt, I suppose v:shobon:v

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Account question.

I am the primary account holder, and my account is primary on my switch lite. My kids also have switches, and my account is on their switches so that they can download and play my digital games.

All of the sudden they are not allowed to play the digital games under their own users. Their users are local only with no Nintendo account linked. They get the “this user cannot play this software” error.

What inscrutable thing do I need to do to allow them to play on their local accounts?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
"WOWIE-ZOWIE!!"

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Account question.

I am the primary account holder, and my account is primary on my switch lite. My kids also have switches, and my account is on their switches so that they can download and play my digital games.

All of the sudden they are not allowed to play the digital games under their own users. Their users are local only with no Nintendo account linked. They get the “this user cannot play this software” error.

What inscrutable thing do I need to do to allow them to play on their local accounts?

You need to put your Switch on airplane mode if you’re trying to play at the same time.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Mister Facetious posted:

"WOWIE-ZOWIE!!"

This is the new "Hi I'm Daisy!"

She won't stop saying it

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Macaluso posted:

You can max out purple coins so easily, they should've added costumes you can buy for each character

The one thing I wish the game did was let you buy powerups at the item stores. Sometimes you want something specific to go back and cheese a level or find a specific hidden thing.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

eightysixed posted:

I know. I was just trying to derail the Wonder talk and get people to talk about Wonder in the Wonder thread :v:
Poor troll attempt, I suppose v:shobon:v

Real talk tho i am actually currently playing ff7 while on breaks at work and changed it to Aerith

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I always change them to common English names.

Like Jak and Daxter is A Jake and Dexter

Cloud: Cliff
Barret: Bart
Tifa: Tina(I realize this was Terra's name in Japan)
Aerith: Erin
Cid: Cid
Cait Sith: Kate C.
Yuffie: Buffy
Red XIII: Rufus
Vincent: Vincent