Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Black Sunshine posted:

The fanbase really wants to hang McDaniels' lifeless corpse from a bridge as a warning to future coaches but Mark Davis is gutless and probably won't fire him.

We might be 3-3 but it's a really ugly 3-3 and everyone pretty much hates him

McDaniels alienates his best WR within 1.5 years of being a HC. In Y2 he got rid of the original QB to bring a new journeyman in. Which head coaching stint am I talking about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Forrest on Fire posted:

McDaniels alienates his best WR within 1.5 years of being a HC. In Y2 he got rid of the original QB to bring a new journeyman in. Which head coaching stint am I talking about

The 2024-25 New England Patriots

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Mega64 posted:

He already has the best Patriots WR on the Raiders now

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Docjowles posted:

Gannon has outperformed expectations already. They’ve got to be one of the best looking 1 win teams ever. He’s back unless the directive from ownership was “go 0-17 for Caleb or else”. Dude is masterfully walking the line

I thought he was going to be an all time clown but hell they have better vibes than the Pats right now

They’ve got better vibes than some teams at 3-3 (hello, Raiders).

They really could be 3-3 themselves. I think they’re gonna bring Kyler back in and try and win some games (which might be a contradiction but whatever)

If you were doing a Power Rankings based on which teams just loving stink, I think the Cards would be safely mid table somewhere.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Mega64 posted:

Do not put this evil into the world :mad:

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Bumhead posted:

They’ve got better vibes than some teams at 3-3 (hello, Raiders).

They really could be 3-3 themselves. I think they’re gonna bring Kyler back in and try and win some games (which might be a contradiction but whatever)

If you were doing a Power Rankings based on which teams just loving stink, I think the Cards would be safely mid table somewhere.

Plus they've got 2 firsts next year - the Texans pick may not be as high as the Cardinals would like, but it will still likely be a nice mid-1st rounder to fill some needed positions.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
It's weird, because pre-season we'd think the Cardinals would be overachieving if we knew they had one win at this point, yet they're still not bottom-three or arguably bottom-five as far as teams go. They lack a good bit of talent, but they're still trying their hardest to win, which is admirable compared to teams like the Patriots which look so god drat lifeless.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Mega64 posted:

This is entirely plausible.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

Mega64 posted:

It's weird, because pre-season we'd think the Cardinals would be overachieving if we knew they had one win at this point, yet they're still not bottom-three or arguably bottom-five as far as teams go. They lack a good bit of talent, but they're still trying their hardest to win, which is admirable compared to teams like the Patriots which look so god drat lifeless.

Yeah, the offense in particular just looks so much more crisp than it did last year, even if they're not putting up a ton of points. Makes me wonder if Drew Petzig is a really talented coordinator or if Kingsbury was just that bad

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Isentropy posted:

Calling out the owner- for Young over Stroud and for meddling - in so many words has to really heat up your seat too, right? And Tepper unlike the Spanoses can definately afford to just get himself a yes man

The team's dysfunctional but I think we'd be in a worse spot if we jettison Reich this year for another head coach given where the team's at everywhere else. They need to just focus on getting the best game day roster they can and see how things look next year. Realistically the trade with chicago was a pyrrhic victory for Carolina. They got the guy they needed, they got the guy they wanted - but in getting him they've cost themselves a chance at immediate success. They're in the poo poo right now, but the team's not going to get better by being on their fourth head coach in two years.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

This is entirely plausible.

Bill can be DC

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

imo I think Daboll is cool through at least the next two seasons. Part of it is that ownership is still washing off the stink of the McAdoo/Shurmur/Judge coaching era and firing him two years before his contract expires just projects the same inconsistency as before.

I also think this regime will get their chance to pick a QB and continue developing the roster. The Jones contract, despite the eyesore on the price tag, has an eject button after 2024 if he’s designated as a post June 1st cut. The dead money hit is only about 11 million if they choose to go that route. If the Giants land in the top 3, they are taking a QB for sure I feel. They wouldn’t have structured the contract in such a way if they didn’t want to retain flexibility if he didn’t work out

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Carlosologist posted:

McAdoo/Shurmur/Judge coaching era

It feels like 1000 years ago already somehow but man the Ben McAdoo head coach era sure was something. The character arc from "kid in dad's ill fitting suit" to "greasy Sopranos extra who definitely dies" in a single season was incredible

You should include Jason Garrett and Dave Gettleman in this list for maximum lols though. The Giants have been loving it up real bad for a while now

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Gully Foyle posted:

I think that the playoff win and COTY gives Daboll 1 year of coolness, especially given how many holes the roster has. If he doesn't right the ship next year, then the heat comes in fast.
I mostly agree. I think that poo poo ought to buy him a free year with next season being the “okay, which of those was the fluke” tiebreaker, but he has just been piling up more and more completely indefensible decisions every week, some which have actively cost the Giants wins. I no longer think he’s bulletproof this year; if this keeps up, eventually, his credit will run out.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
The guy the Giants need to fire is OL coach Bobby Johnson. The OL was frequently ugly during his three years at the Bills, the OL has been ugly during his 1+⅓ season in NY. and Daboll bringing him over with him was an odd choice.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
The Giants o-line has been bad for almost a decade (They started falling off after the second Super Bowl when guys started getting hurt) and the current group may not even be the worst iteration of it. The 2015-2016 teams were still trying to force Erick Flowers to be a standalone left tackle that he very clearly wasn’t, and frequently included guys like Marshall Newhouse and Bobby Hart.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

fartknocker posted:

The Giants o-line has been bad for almost a decade (They started falling off after the second Super Bowl when guys started getting hurt) and the current group may not even be the worst iteration of it. The 2015-2016 teams were still trying to force Erick Flowers to be a standalone left tackle that he very clearly wasn’t, and frequently included guys like Marshall Newhouse and Bobby Hart.

Most NFL teams have bad OL's now. You need to play around them.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Even if the OL as inherited was bad, there's no evidence that Johnson is going to fix it. And all the draft pick players he gets given never seen to turn out.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

mcmagic posted:

Most NFL teams have bad OL's now. You need to play around them.

This is true, the number of teams that can put up a good online can probably be counted on a single hand

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Yeah but, just as much to the point. The giants definitely aren't playing around it. McAdoo was such a weird choice as head coach at the time, did OKish as OC in carolina last year toward the last few games. Managed to dial up some decent run game at least but nothing about the dude ever struck me as a HC.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

BlindSite posted:

Yeah but, just as much to the point. The giants definitely aren't playing around it. McAdoo was such a weird choice as head coach at the time, did OKish as OC in carolina last year toward the last few games. Managed to dial up some decent run game at least but nothing about the dude ever struck me as a HC.
The Giants were going for continuity with Old Man Coughlin leaving, with McAdoo having been on his staff.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Are there more bad OLs, or are there more bad and inexperienced quarterbacks making their OLs look worse?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Benne posted:

Are there more bad OLs, or are there more bad and inexperienced quarterbacks making their OLs look worse?

I always think about the hitch when I'm watching protection. Your guy needs to be at least getting to the top of his drop and his first hitch, that's pretty much going to be your standard for a quick developing route like a slant. If the quarterback is having to move when he should be planting and looking to throw or progress through his reads you're in trouble and someone has blown an assignment, if your QB is getting to the top of his drop, hitches and then panics, it's on the QB and or great secondary play and it's a coverage sack.

This is also a somewhat unusual era for the NFL where there's more young QBs playing ever before and there is a lack of talent at the position overall.

There's probably also a bit of a deep dive that someone who knows more about the college game could go into but from what I've read there's a lot of offensive systems at the collegiate level that are quite successful that do a lot to help out protection and quarterback's by using up tempo play styles from the shotgun and from pistol and using quick drops that scheme and flood guys open quickly that just don't translate to the NFL. That and the best big guy athletes are going to funnel into tight end, defensive end, defensive tackle etc rather than put on 50 pounds and play guard or tackle. There's also just a lot fewer human beings who come in that size and a couple other sports that they get tracked for too, like basketball.

When your starting criteria is to be in the 1% of how humans exist and then you make it a technically, mentally and physically demanding position - you're not going to find a large population who can do it.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
OL is also a position where you take a bajillion hits to the head so you've had lineman quit the sport early more than other positions

Otoh Shanahan systems like Miami and San Fran seem to be doing great with pretty mediocre personnel so it seems like you can still scheme up ways to cover for a bad o-line

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

MikeCrotch posted:

OL is also a position where you take a bajillion hits to the head so you've had lineman quit the sport early more than other positions

Otoh Shanahan systems like Miami and San Fran seem to be doing great with pretty mediocre personnel so it seems like you can still scheme up ways to cover for a bad o-line

Miami's OL performance is entirely fraudulent, they're really heavily scheming around them. They're giving opposing defenses very little clean shots to rush the passer, their passing game is all PA/RPO/bootleg/screen/etc. On true dropback passing they can effectively challenge the intermediate area of the field with short play timing due to speed, so they're not really exposed unless they're going deep.

They're also probably getting the benefit of tiring out opposing defensive lines with the amount of running they have to do with wide zone and misdirection, and then spending all game whacking the poo poo out of the edges with speed motion trap blocks.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

The 49ers have had several promising seasons collapse due to QB injuries in the last few years so I dunno that I would say they're doing well with a mediocre OL. I'd say they're maybe reaching their ceiling.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Cognac McCarthy posted:

The 49ers have had several promising seasons collapse due to QB injuries in the last few years so I dunno that I would say they're doing well with a mediocre OL. I'd say they're maybe reaching their ceiling.
The quality of the OL does not affect QB health that much. Handsome James was regularly injured doing routine poo poo. Lance got hurt on a designed run. The only notable 49ers QB injury I can think of that could be "blamed" on the OL is Purdy's elbow in the playoffs last year because he got hit while dropping back to pass. Note: I'm not 9'ers fan so someone please correct me if I am missing something obvious.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

BlindSite posted:

McAdoo was being groomed as the heir apparent from the moment he was hired. The Giants decline after 2011 was first blamed on Kevin Gilbride, who had gotten stale by then and someone had to pay for the 2012-13 struggles. McAdoo was a hot QB coach who got credit for Rodgers ascending in GB and he brought a new, faster, less risky offense to help Eli cut down on picks and it honestly kinda worked, but the defense fell apart right as the offense started to fix itself and Coughlin got booted for it, McAdoo wasn't ready yet but the Giants usually liked to hire internally

The team wasn't good under Big Mac but the Eli benching fiasco caused a huge overreaction and spelled his doom

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Ben McAdoo is cursed by being named Ben McAdoo and looking like a Ben McAdoo

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

The quality of the OL does not affect QB health that much. Handsome James was regularly injured doing routine poo poo. Lance got hurt on a designed run. The only notable 49ers QB injury I can think of that could be "blamed" on the OL is Purdy's elbow in the playoffs last year because he got hit while dropping back to pass. Note: I'm not 9'ers fan so someone please correct me if I am missing something obvious.

If I remember correctly Purdy got hurt when a TE blows a block against Haason Reddick, not an OL.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Alaois posted:

Ben McAdoo is cursed by being named Ben McAdoo and looking like a Ben McAdoo

:hmmyes:

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

mcadoo could have lasted longer if he didn’t start slicking his hair back

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
PeePee McAdoodoo

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Ben McAdoo, goofy TV dad

The dad after the show takes a dark turn in Season 3

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Benne posted:

Ben McAdoo, goofy TV dad

Hal vs Walt

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I still think Hackett's mid-season transition to Evil Hackett last year is funnier. Like someone told him he looked dumb and clueless on the sideline, so his solution was to grow a mustache and start wearing black.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Slick Back McAdoo is the funniest a coach has ever looked who isn't Marc Trestman.

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011

R.D. Mangles posted:

Slick Back McAdoo is the funniest a coach has ever looked who isn't Marc Trestman.

Literally

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Benne posted:

Ben McAdoo, goofy TV dad

this is a tim heidecker character evolution

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004