Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
turns out my paypal issue is because they have removed the backup funding feature altogether

well there goes any reason i ever had to use that card

gently caress you paypal i don't trust you with my money, i do not want to keep a balance on you for more than a few minutes ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

My PayPal is the opposite, I can only have it pull funds from a bank account and there's no option to keep a balance with them.

What is even the purpose? Everything it does is made redundant by having the bank account you need to have to use it.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Google Photos. Editing is completely unuseable. Sure, you can edit a picture, but will it save? Or will random edits be applied, then saved?

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I don’t think tech illiteracy is necessarily the problem, it’s knowing how to troubleshoot and look for solutions. For the more tech inclined that’s natural but for some it’s just “accidentally made screen 800x600, computer broken forever”, and I don’t think it’s as generational anymore as so much as you’re prevented out from doing so.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

teen witch posted:

I don’t think tech illiteracy is necessarily the problem, it’s knowing how to troubleshoot and look for solutions. For the more tech inclined that’s natural but for some it’s just “accidentally made screen 800x600, computer broken forever”, and I don’t think it’s as generational anymore as so much as you’re prevented out from doing so.

I learned to use and program computers on an AT&T-branded Olivetti M24 that my dad threw a math coproc into so he could program MATLAB that cost as much in '84 as my mom's Toyota Truck in the same year.
Dude doesn't know gently caress-all about desktop computers these days and gets loudly angry about how having an Apple and Android phone between work and personal is a pain in the rear end because the apps don't work the same.
Sometimes you just age out of caring about poo poo, and with computers that doesn't really work that great.

All You Can Eat
Aug 27, 2004

Abundance is the dullest desire.

Light Gun Man posted:

turns out my paypal issue is because they have removed the backup funding feature altogether

well there goes any reason i ever had to use that card

gently caress you paypal i don't trust you with my money, i do not want to keep a balance on you for more than a few minutes ever

This will sound super hipster of me, but I stopped using PayPal in 2005 when they froze all that money Lowtax was raising for Hurricane Katrina relief

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

All You Can Eat posted:

This will sound super hipster of me, but I stopped using PayPal in 2005 when they froze all that money Lowtax was raising for Hurricane Katrina relief
gently caress Paypal forever, but in this one case, given what we now know, are we sure suspicious poo poo wasn't going on?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

PayPal blacklisted me from having an account with them sometime in the mid teens, they wouldn't tell me why when I emailed or called them.

Oddly, doesn't seem to apply to Venmo at all.

All You Can Eat
Aug 27, 2004

Abundance is the dullest desire.

LividLiquid posted:

gently caress Paypal forever, but in this one case, given what we now know, are we sure suspicious poo poo wasn't going on?

Point taken. Back then, most goon :bandwagon:s usually didn't turn out righteously

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

My job involves constant communication with boomers who have zero loving idea how computers work. I have met people who are still, in 2023, operating like its 1994. They want business stuff sent to them not via fax or email but actually sent to them in a goddamn envelope. Most of the phone calls I make people don't have voice mails. Sometimes actual important people who actually need to know stuff don't even have the loving mail box set up! Like I gotta call someone I know who works with them to let them know something they need.

None of these generations 'get' computers. Zero, nada. This 'Gen z doesn't know how computers work' is the literal exact same navel gazing dogshit that Boomers wheel out about Millenials and if you genuinely believe it, :moments:

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

A Festivus Miracle posted:

None of these generations 'get' computers. Zero, nada. This 'Gen z doesn't know how computers work' is the literal exact same navel gazing dogshit that Boomers wheel out about Millenials and if you genuinely believe it, :moments:

This forum is mostly computer touchers that don't even understand how poo poo works in industry, computers as appliances lol.

Yeah, that's rich people's kitchen poo poo.

PLCs and the computers connected to them are a different game, distinctly not computers as appliances but rather computers that make you money well past depreciation.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Oct 21, 2023

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I work with images as a major part of my job and the day PowerPoint dies I am going to get so loving lit.

There is a contingent of people who believe that pptx is a graphics file format and that it simply better to embed tifs into a PowerPoint than to send me the actual files themselves. Our specs specifically state what formats to not send. And yet, 500mb pptx files.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

teen witch posted:

I work with images as a major part of my job and the day PowerPoint dies I am going to get so loving lit.

There is a contingent of people who believe that pptx is a graphics file format and that it simply better to embed tifs into a PowerPoint than to send me the actual files themselves. Our specs specifically state what formats to not send. And yet, 500mb pptx files.

:mad:

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

A Festivus Miracle posted:

They are kinda right though about some things. For me, it was 'your generation can't fix cars / machines any more' and I was surprised to learn that that was generally, statistically true. I forget where I put the pieces together but, 'Gen Z can't actually use computers' is also a general truth - I'll see if I can dig up the research here.

This isn't spite or 'old' or whatever. There are just different pressures on people at different times which force statistically significant changes in behaviors, which can manifest as benefits or problems for a whole generation.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I change my wallpaper to a new piece of scenery every month, corresponding to the weather and season.

I used to use Google image search for this, but now most of the results are loving licensable stock photos.

The enshittification of everything reaches all things eventually and always, always, always stems from some rich rear end in a top hat with more money than god never being satisfied.

They will burn this world to the ground if it means they get the high score on this Galaga machine so they can smile for one fifth of one second before realizing they're still not happy.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

MrQwerty posted:

This forum is mostly computer touchers that don't even understand how poo poo works in industry, computers as appliances lol.

Yeah, that's rich people's kitchen poo poo.

PLCs and the computers connected to them are a different game, distinctly not computers as appliances but rather computers that make you money well past depreciation.

And the company will pay someone a lot of money to make sure that that computer keeps working well past its commercial end of life.

I’ve always wondered why Windows Server became the gold standard for automation and I suspect it has to do with “we can pay Microsoft $$$ and blame them if anything goes wrong”.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

The "[generation] doesn't know how to fix cars anymore" thing is not that they can't, but because it's almost impossible to work on modern cars. A lot of the computer readouts can't be done with even the best diagnostic tools when you throw a code that's more than a simple OBD-II code, and some car manufacturers like Chrysler (in a scummy gently caress move from a scummy gently caress company) even prevents shade-tree mechanics from working on cars and accessing the diagnostic data unless you are a registered and certified auto mechanic with the right tools. There's also things like sealed transmissions that can only be accessed and serviced at a certified dealership and other bullshit like that. Can't even check the fluid level on the transmission in your driveway because there's not even a dipstick for it lmao.

At least changing the oil and filter hasn't changed much in decades... yet.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Yuuuuuuuup. We're rapidly approaching "you can't own your car. You pay us 80,000, then 1,000 a month to license your car. And if it breaks, gently caress you, pay us again."

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Isentropy posted:

And the company will pay someone a lot of money to make sure that that computer keeps working well past its commercial end of life.

I’ve always wondered why Windows Server became the gold standard for automation and I suspect it has to do with “we can pay Microsoft $$$ and blame them if anything goes wrong”.

yeah there are whole companies that reverse engineer old Dell mobos and poo poo because paying $3k to custom make a 20 year old mobo is a better use of money than shutting the plant down for 6-9 months to spend $10m on a new line

once all the 20-30 year old new-old stock is out prices are gonna jump to like $10-15k to build an FPGA board and you're going to continue seeing the cost in your pocket, because this poo poo isn't pnp

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Oct 22, 2023

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

LividLiquid posted:

I change my wallpaper to a new piece of scenery every month, corresponding to the weather and season.

I used to use Google image search for this, but now most of the results are loving licensable stock photos.

The enshittification of everything reaches all things eventually and always, always, always stems from some rich rear end in a top hat with more money than god never being satisfied.

They will burn this world to the ground if it means they get the high score on this Galaga machine so they can smile for one fifth of one second before realizing they're still not happy.

Flickr is has been dead for as long as this forum but has lots of great high res landscape photos (if you wade through the dreck) and lets you specifically search for results that are released under a creative commons license

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Wait so there's a "this new generation doesn't know anything about how cars work" but for computers?? Awful, absolutely awful. Everyone just repeats the complaints of their forbears, eh? I'm surprised no one's complaining about Eternal September.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
Just had a flashback of switching out these big manual proprietary tapes, that kept record of all our register transactions, in the back office at the end of business day at Radio Shack back in the late 90s.

They kind of looked like giant 8-track tapes, and they were beige of course.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I'm surprised no one's complaining about Eternal September.

I do this frequently.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Wait so there's a "this new generation doesn't know anything about how cars work" but for computers?? Awful, absolutely awful. Everyone just repeats the complaints of their forbears, eh? I'm surprised no one's complaining about Eternal September.

Unlike boomers we aren't blaming the generation in the least, we're lamenting the targeted enshittification caused by capital

BastardAus
Jun 3, 2003
Chunder from Down Under

teen witch posted:

IOur specs specifically state what formats to not send. And yet, 500mb pptx files.

Commercial printer? These are the red flags you need to discover who will likely stuff you on the bill – after you fix their poo poo for them.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

teen witch posted:

Do I look like I know what a jpeg is?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

teen witch posted:

if that's what they find usable for their needs it's good. they're not gonna learn some adobe cloud poo poo or even bother to search for "the gimp."

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

You Are A Werewolf posted:

The "[generation] doesn't know how to fix cars anymore" thing…
I spent my early 20’s dead-rear end broke in a car-dependent “city” and learned how to fix anything and everything with every car we owned.

Within like an hour of having a job that paid enough to pay an expert I just forgot how.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Internet Old One posted:

I do this frequently.

30 year anniversary btw

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Sentient Data posted:

Unlike boomers we aren't blaming the generation in the least, we're lamenting the targeted enshittification caused by capital

This. Thisthisthis.

The good thing about the modern world is that you can just watch a video or read a reddit thread or if you run into a problem (or a use case like editing a picture in a way the app can't do) that requires you to step outside the app's own white picket fence for a bit. Or do as everyone before us did and ask that nerdy guy for help. You don't need knowledge about everything, because you can still fairly effectively look it up (though google and youtube are definitely enshittified already).
I absolutely can't tune a carburetor on my motorcycle that is exactly as old as i am. But i could look it up. It's not necessary for me to know it all. I can also just pay a guy to do it for me, and he can access all the necessary information that you need for it (main jet X turns, pilot Y turns etc etc, all that info is not hidden away).

But the enshittification is that it's intentionally being made extra hard or impossible to do things that you only occasionally need or want, that require you to gently caress around with your own files for a bit.
For comparison, we've had automatic washing machines since the 1960s or so. Ever since then, you don't really need to know how to do laundry by hand anymore. I've never touched a wringer, the last time i saw a spin dry machine separate from a washing machine was in the early 90s when our washing machine broke.
But i'll be damned if there haven't been specific occasions on which i had to either scrub something extra hard to get a chain grease stain out, or hand wash something that's too delicate for a machine cycle.

If Big Laundry would be as bad as computer tech companies, they would take away bulk liquid or powder detergents by pretending it's for safety or for convenience, so you can only use pre-dose systems in a special machine that claims that it can safely do garments that aren't normally allowed in the washing machine. Which is fine, until you can't get the stains out, go on vacation and want to wash something by hand, or the machine breaks and it takes a few days to get a new one and you have no launderette nearby.
You can still do laundry by hand, but you'll have to poke a hole in a pre-dose bottle, squeeze a bit out, and then have a pre-dose bottle sitting on your sink somewhere, potentially erroring out your washing machine because it notices there's no detergent anymore after 30 cycles instead of after 40 cycles and refusing to work until the Certified Laundry Machine Guy comes to visit. Or perhaps getting some detergent out would be impossible because the whole thing is plastic welded together and drilling a hole in it would gently caress with how the thing empties in the machine or idk. Printer ink refill things but with washing machines.

There are already washing machines with automated detergent dosing systems (Miele TwinDos) and i'm fine with those. Because they don't take away your ability to *don't* use the washing machine. Miele isn't trying to gently caress with the availability of boxes/bottles of detergent. The whole ecosystem is completely fine because no one is preventing you from doing laundry by hand in any way. The only thing the EU has bothered with, is making sure that those tasty detergent pods are now in hard to open boxes which is completely fine.

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Oct 22, 2023

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

teen witch posted:

Using a computer taught me that
1) if a program shows the average person a very clearly worded and formatted box with a description of what they are about to do, or what they need to do in order to change something, they will freeze up and yell for somebody else to read it and do the steps
2) learned helplessness is loving prevalent in society

At this point I refuse to engage anymore.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

2) learned helplessness is loving prevalent in society

Because it's incentivized by manufacturers. Apple, for example, spent decades restricting their consumers' ability to perform maintenance and repairs on their own products, and only after a number of lawsuits (both class-action and individual) have they begun to back down a bit. Tesla, Johnson & Johnson, AT&T, Lilly Inc., T-Mobile, Medtronic, Caterpillar, John Deere, General Electric, Philips, and eBay, on the other hand, have spent a combined $10 trillion lobbying against the right to repair.

The fact that "right to repair" is even a thing strikes me as patently loving absurd, and is maybe one of the most obvious examples of late-stage capitalist bullshit on display at present. I bought the thing, I own the thing, I should be able to fix the thing without buying proprietary tools or taking it to some shady repair kiosk or backwoods mechanic.

When I was young I always hoped we'd end up in a cool Road Warrior dystopia where I could at least roam the wastelands in a dune buggy wearing spikes on my shoulder pads and palling around with feral kids that look like Steven Tyler, but nooooooo, we have to get stuck with the Wall-E/Idiocracy dystopia instead.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Because it's incentivized by manufacturers. Apple, for example, spent decades restricting their consumers' ability to perform maintenance and repairs on their own products, and only after a number of lawsuits (both class-action and individual) have they begun to back down a bit. Tesla, Johnson & Johnson, AT&T, Lilly Inc., T-Mobile, Medtronic, Caterpillar, John Deere, General Electric, Philips, and eBay, on the other hand, have spent a combined $10 trillion lobbying against the right to repair.

The fact that "right to repair" is even a thing strikes me as patently loving absurd, and is maybe one of the most obvious examples of late-stage capitalist bullshit on display at present. I bought the thing, I own the thing, I should be able to fix the thing without buying proprietary tools or taking it to some shady repair kiosk or backwoods mechanic.

When I was young I always hoped we'd end up in a cool Road Warrior dystopia where I could at least roam the wastelands in a dune buggy wearing spikes on my shoulder pads and palling around with feral kids that look like Steven Tyler, but nooooooo, we have to get stuck with the Wall-E/Idiocracy dystopia instead.

Sir, this is a Carl's jr. Would you like some extra big rear end fries with that?

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Armacham posted:

Sir, this is a Carl's jr. Would you like some extra big rear end fries with that?

...Because if so, you'll need to download our handy app and set up an account. Certain menu items are only available via monthly subscription plus per-order charges of CarlsBucks, available in a range of packages to suit every consumer. Ask about our CondimentPlan!

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

You Are A Werewolf posted:

The "[generation] doesn't know how to fix cars anymore" thing is not that they can't, but because it's almost impossible to work on modern cars.

This is lacking some perspective. Old cars required a bit of constant tuning and fiddling to work right and didn't last 200k miles without major replacements anyway. I don't have to replace the points or adjust the carb for the winter on a modern car because it's not required. The version of working in cars by older people is for issues that don't happen anymore.

You're not wrong on things being locked down or things being harder to diagnose. The cars are more complex and difficult to work on but it's not impossible. I loathe absolutes.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
Amazon just removed their webapp for Alexa so no more adding milk to my shopping list without pulling out my loving phone. Back to paper lists for me

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 48 minutes!

LimaBiker posted:

Modal, we live in the post-windows 98 era. I haven't installed USB drivers for storage media since i got windows XP, and all cables that aren't charge cables from Aliexpress goodies will transfer data, even the ones i get for €1,99 at some discount store.

Plug in phone. Tap the notification on the phone screen to choose USB file transfer. By default explorer pops up, and any vaguely standard phone has a folder DCIM for pictures and a (...)

Assumes you have Windows. On Ubuntu, even when you pick the trust notification, the phone will never mount at all if it's your first attempt at plugging it in, until you unplug it and start over :downs: Good luck figuring that one out when you're in a hurry

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

maxwellhill posted:

Assumes you have Windows. On Ubuntu, even when you pick the trust notification, the phone will never mount at all if it's your first attempt at plugging it in, until you unplug it and start over :downs: Good luck figuring that one out when you're in a hurry

Nobody running Linux is going to be unable to figure out how to get files off of a phone.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

LividLiquid posted:

I use unsplash for this, but the shittification is pushed onto the photographers

edit: nm now there's unsplash plus!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Cerekk posted:

Nobody running Linux is going to be unable to figure out how to get files off of a phone.

I gave my Dad an Ubuntu install on a bee pc and he thinks that poo poo is easier than the Mac Mini he had that broke and it still makes me laugh because Apple is supposed to be so easy. This is a peck and hunt Google is hard type of man.