Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

It's again a false equivalency that treats the oppressor and the oppressed the same and shows a fundamental misunderstanding of how Palestinians live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

i fly airplanes posted:

Is Palestine also not an ethnostate government by these same standards? From my understanding, it's the same difficulty, which is why many left wing politicians like AOC in support of Palestinians have had to change their tone to "Hamas does not represent the Palestinian people" (however accurate or inaccaurate that may be).

Can you explain the nuance of being anti-Zionist and for the millions of Jews settled in Israel, where they are supposed to go?

I'm pretty sure Palestine does not have a constitution basic law stating that it was founded on the key principle of serving one people to the exclusion of any others. Whatever you think of the Hamas charter or the demographic breakdown of Palestinian territories do not make them an ethnostate. Israel is an ethnostate because it openly declares itself to be one in its own codified laws.

Being anti-Zionist simply means opposing the idea of the ethnostate and the various war crimes and crimes against humanity its existence necessitates. The term makes no declaration about the Jewish residents of Israel; just that Israel should not be a Jewish ethnostate. If you wanna get technical, both "Israel should recognize basic human rights" and "Israel should be a non-Jewish ethnostate" would be anti-Zionist sentiments, but someone who is deliberately conflating the two is not seeking nuance.

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬

mannerup fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Nov 5, 2023

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It’s not journalism at all. They are not even bothering to fact check but are just assuming the readers don’t care because Axios considers the IDF a trustworthy source

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Source: just trust me bro

They really are running the post-9/11 playbook, and this is the anthrax scare.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Inferior Third Season posted:

Google and Meta not tolerating even the most subdued and milquetoast of criticisms of Israel.

https://fortune.com/2023/10/20/web-summit-google-meta-stripe-pull-out-israel-hamas-gaza/

He's since been pressured into resigning as CEO. But even that isn't good enough. They are saying he should divest entirely from the company.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

israeli officials previously said they would never lie, so this must be true

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I'm pretty sure Palestine does not have a constitution basic law stating that it was founded on the key principle of serving one people to the exclusion of any others. Whatever you think of the Hamas charter or the demographic breakdown of Palestinian territories do not make them an ethnostate. Israel is an ethnostate because it openly declares itself to be one in its own codified laws.
There are plenty of ethnostates around the world and particularly in the Middle East, but I think portraying Palestine as a pluralist republic is dubious at bet.

https://www.ohchr.org/sites/default/files/Documents/Issues/Racism/SR/NationalityImmigration/StatePalestine.pdf

This OHCHR report demonstrates Palestinian nationality law (under the PNA) and the problem it has with Israel's laws.

But that's nowhere near the conflict the PNA laws has with Hamas: https://avalon.law.yale.edu/20th_century/hamas.asp

For example, on my last visit to the West Bank/Palestine there are many Christian neighborhoods and the open sale of alcohol in Bethlehem; in Nablus you'll find nothing. And while open consumption is illegal, the PNA can't really enforce it because of Israeli extraterritoriality. Yet at the same time, they are banning LGBTQ organizations. There's a lot of conflicts in laws and lack of centralized authority.

quote:

Being anti-Zionist simply means opposing the idea of the ethnostate and the various war crimes and crimes against humanity its existence necessitates. The term makes no declaration about the Jewish residents of Israel; just that Israel should not be a Jewish ethnostate. If you wanna get technical, both "Israel should recognize basic human rights" and "Israel should be a non-Jewish ethnostate" would be anti-Zionist sentiments, but someone who is deliberately conflating the two is not seeking nuance.
When posters are using Zionism in a derogatory or charged fashion, I don't think they're seeking nuance, that's why I responded with that.

Brucolac
Jun 14, 2012

i fly airplanes posted:

There are plenty of ethnostates around the world and particularly in the Middle East, but I think portraying Palestine as a pluralist republic is dubious at bet.

https://www.ohchr.org/sites/default/files/Documents/Issues/Racism/SR/NationalityImmigration/StatePalestine.pdf

This OHCHR report demonstrates Palestinian nationality law (under the PNA) and the problem it has with Israel's laws.

But that's nowhere near the conflict the PNA laws has with Hamas: https://avalon.law.yale.edu/20th_century/hamas.asp

For example, on my last visit to the West Bank/Palestine there are many Christian neighborhoods and the open sale of alcohol in Bethlehem; in Nablus you'll find nothing. And while open consumption is illegal, the PNA can't really enforce it because of Israeli extraterritoriality. Yet at the same time, they are banning LGBTQ organizations. There's a lot of conflicts in laws and lack of centralized authority.

When posters are using Zionism in a derogatory or charged fashion, I don't think they're seeking nuance, that's why I responded with that.
Congratulations on failing to address the main substance of the critiques of your post.

And references to Zionism are entirely appropriate in this context, particularly when discussing extraterritoriality and settlers in the West Bank.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
Guys south Africa had some problems but have you considered that the bantustans were ethnostates??

I am just being an honest interlocutor here

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

i fly airplanes posted:

Is Palestine also not an ethnostate government by these same standards? From my understanding, it's the same difficulty, which is why many left wing politicians like AOC in support of Palestinians have had to change their tone to "Hamas does not represent the Palestinian people" (however accurate or inaccaurate that may be).

Can you explain the nuance of being anti-Zionist and for the millions of Jews settled in Israel, where they are supposed to go?

Ideally those Jews already settled in Israel would remain where they are living despite the overall injustice of having successfully stolen that land because I can't think of any reasonable or rational event that would prompt a Second Great Diaspora, and the Palestinians would get their own state because I believe you're right that Palestine is also technically an ethnostate but only because Israel has created essentially a ghetto out of Gaza and West Bank and the Palestinians aren't allowed to leave, making it an ethnostate in fact but not in legality. They were forced into that by Israel without any alternative. Unfortunately, a two state solution seems to no longer be in the cards because of settlements and Israel has opted a more violent path.

Edit: as a native american myself, I can tell you this is a very interesting line of conversation to have within our context as well but that's for a different thread

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Oct 21, 2023

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

I personally make sure to carry an unencrypted digital record of my many secret evil plans every time I go on a raid. It's just common sense, WAY more useful than an extra magazine.

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

HonorableTB posted:

Edit: as a native american myself, I can tell you this is a very interesting line of conversation to have within our context as well but that's for a different thread

Yeah there are definitely some interesting parallels here between the Native American experience especially in regards to treaty rights (eg Jay Treaty) and Reconciliation that would be relevant.

mannerup posted:

I don't even think its technically an ethnostate under those parameters (e.g. Japan would be an ethnostate in fact but not in legality using that definition.)

A country with jus sanguinis nationality laws, official language laws, and 95+% from one ethnic group is an ethnostate.

Countries like UAE which majorly restrict citizenship, mandate Islam as the state religion, Arabic as the official language are also ethnostates.

i fly airplanes fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Oct 21, 2023

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

Fister Roboto posted:

this is the anthrax scare

So you're saying it's a real thing that unquestionably happened?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Shageletic posted:

20 aid trucks when WHO says a hundred is needed per a day. Israel didn't open up the UN built terminal that could handle bigger aid imports. Wonder why.

Yep, letting these trucks in is to just calm down international pressure on Israel and make it look like they are doing something that doesn't involve killing everyone in Gaza. 20 trucks isn't even the bare minimum though.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

mannerup posted:

I don't even think its technically an ethnostate under those parameters (e.g. Japan would be an ethnostate in fact but not in legality using that definition.)

Can you explain? I'm not very familiar with Japanese political history or demographics except I know their ethnic homogeneity is pretty high when looking at their demographics. Ethnic Japanese people make up 97.6% of their population, that seems to be an ethnostate as well.

E: updated demographic figure more recent puts ethnic Japanese at 98.5% of the population

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Oct 21, 2023

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

tagesschau posted:

So you're saying it's a real thing that unquestionably happened?

Actually more like saying it was(allegedly, they gave up when their second primary suspect committed suicide) an insiders attempt to get funding for a failing defense program gone wrong, cynically exploiting a moment of national tragedy, became the basis for a illegal war, and ultimately resulted in immense and unnecessary suffering.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

i fly airplanes posted:

Countries like UAE which majorly restrict citizenship, mandate Islam as the state religion, Arabic as the official language are also ethnostates.

What about Malaysia? It does all that but I don't think you can call it an ethnostate given that >40% of citizens are not Malay or Muslim (Malay being a subset of Muslims as the constitution defines it as such).

e: It also goes to great lengths for multicultural coexistence despite that (albeit with issues here and there).

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Oct 21, 2023

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

i fly airplanes posted:

What on earth are you talking about? A state in which discrimination occurs or which fails to make accomodations for minority groups is not the same thing as an ethnostate. Purchasing alcohol is not a human right. Discrimination against LGBTQ groups is abhorrent, but those are not ethnic minorities.

Israel has, as part of its constitutional framework, enshrined the discrimination against minorities as an ideological goal. You're going to have to specify what exact section of those links you think is equivalent to that, because I'm not seeing anything like it on a skim.

i fly airplanes posted:

There's no nuance to be had, Zionism is a project that demands either ethnic cleansing or apartheid, it warrants being used in a derogatory or charged manner. There are bad faith actors who frame their anti-Semitism as anti-Zionism, as well as ones who want to frame anti-Zionism as anti-Semitism, but the words have pretty clear definitions.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

[Conquistadors crashing their ships into the new world] drat look at all these ethnostates this place is imperialist as gently caress

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

Private Speech posted:

What about Malaysia? It does all that but I don't think you can call it an ethnostate given that >40% of citizens are not Malay or Muslim (Malay being a subset of Muslims as the constitution defines it as such).

e: It also goes to great lengths for multicultural coexistence despite that (albeit with issues here and there).

Malaysia can actually be argued as Apartheid. Their bumi putra policies are extremely divisive and a core of their national identity.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Dolash posted:

[Conquistadors crashing their ships into the new world] drat look at all these ethnostates this place is imperialist as gently caress

The people they met were all baby eaters. It's honestly crazy how often throughout history we have righteous groups protecting us from evil baby eaters. But hey, it's got to be true or else there wouldn't have been a reason to kill all the baby eaters.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

i fly airplanes posted:

Malaysia can actually be argued as Apartheid. Their bumi putra policies are extremely divisive and a core of their national identity.

While they are definitely divisive and have their issues they were designed to help address inequalities between the largely poor Malay and relatively wealthier Chinese, which was somewhat successful.

It's more akin to policies economically favouring indigenous Palestinians over later immigrants in a theoretical unitary state, using reserved government positions and wealth funds. They were also adopted to put stop to racial strife.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Oct 22, 2023

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
In an effort to shift gears away from ethnostate discussion because it is getting kind of strange, IDF airstrikes on Gaza have drastically increased today and we now have confirmation from the IDF chief of staff that they will go through with a land invasion.

quote:

IDF Chief of Staff Lt. Gen. Herzi Halevi to Golani commanders: “We will enter the Gaza Strip. We will begin an operational and professional mission to destroy the Hamas operatives, the Hamas infrastructure, and we will also keep in our minds the images, scenes, and the fallen from Shabbat two weeks ago. Gaza is complex, Gaza is dense, the enemy is preparing a lot of things there, but we are preparing things for them as well."

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

mannerup posted:

https://twitter.com/StateDept/status/1715488061386260664

whoever thought this messaging was a good idea should be fired from the State Department's Bureau of Global Public Affairs

literally a 'we see you'
I have to assume the State Department is just hoping that no one looks into who is supplying Israel's military with bombs

It's somewhat bizarre to me because they are on the one hand fully supporting these attacks but at least feel the need to pay some minor lip service to people who correctly are calling this attempted genocide.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

i fly airplanes posted:

This is certainly an unusual tack to take here. You start by linking a UN report that describes in detail how the Palestinian Authority is far better about ethnic equality than Israel is, and then wave around the 1988 Hamas charter (which, among other things, was replaced in 2017) as an excuse to discount it completely?

I don't see how open container laws or LGBTQ policies are relevant at all to the question of ethnostates. If you're trying to show that Palestine can't be an ethnostate because it's not currently a sovereign state at all, then that'd make sense, but I feel like that's not really what you're trying to get at here.

i fly airplanes posted:

A country with jus sanguinis nationality laws, official language laws, and 95+% from one ethnic group is an ethnostate.

That's a rather unusual definition of "ethnostate". Generally, the word is more commonly used to describe states that impose legal disadvantages on non-preferred ethnicities, or even deny citizenship to non-preferred ethnicities altogether. For example, when South Africa revoked the citizenship of all black citizens in the late years of apartheid.

Brucolac
Jun 14, 2012

mannerup posted:

https://twitter.com/StateDept/status/1715488061386260664

whoever thought this messaging was a good idea should be fired from the State Department's Bureau of Global Public Affairs

literally a 'we see you'
'We see you' btw, we gave 3.7 billion for military equipment to the people we 'see' killing you.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
That is a mistranslation, she meant "you are in our sights"

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Looks like CNN is also independently saying that the evidence supports the theory that it was not Israel bombing, but a Hamas Rocket.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/10/21/middleeast/cnn-investigates-forensic-analysis-gaza-hospital-blast/index.html

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

does anyone have proof that hamas had big enough rockets to blow up that many people, and why they didn't use explosives that massive against their enemies?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

SirFozzie posted:

Looks like CNN is also independently saying that the evidence supports the theory that it was not Israel bombing, but a Hamas Rocket.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/10/21/middleeast/cnn-investigates-forensic-analysis-gaza-hospital-blast/index.html

lol that they're asking all the people 'does it look like a jdam' or point of impact fused artillery as if those are the only possibilities smh. basically asking if it could be the only things that can actually be ruled out

quote:

Marc Garlasco, the former defense intelligence analyst and UN war crimes investigator, says there are signs of a lack of evidence at the Al-Ahli Hospital site.

“When I investigate a site of a potential war crime the first thing I do is locate and identify parts of the weapon. The weapon tells you who did it and how. I’ve never seen such a lack of physical evidence for a weapon at a site. Ever. There’s always a piece of a bomb after the fact. In 20 years of investigating war crimes this is the first time I haven’t seen any weapon remnants. And I’ve worked three wars in Gaza.”

that part is good tho. whole site has been conspicuously free of any evidence of what hit the entire time, which is beyond weird. even in the immediate aftermath there was no rocket debris or anything else to be seen

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Oct 22, 2023

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

Dolash posted:

Colonialism apologizers unironically use "Aztec Empire was imperialist totalitarian state and practiced human sacrifice" as argument and believe Cortes was a good guy here. Spanish far-right party Vox recently celebrated anniversary of "liberation of Tenochtitlan".

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Herstory Begins Now posted:

lol that they're asking all the people 'does it look like a jdam' or point of impact fused artillery as if those are the only possibilities smh. basically asking if it could be the only things that can actually be ruled out

that part is good tho. whole site has been conspicuously free of any evidence of what hit the entire time, which is beyond weird. even in the immediate aftermath there was no rocket debris or anything else to be seen

An arty shell probably doesn't leave much behind. And a DIME weapon would also leave almost nothing afaik.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I mean the obvious explanation would be that Hamas hid that evidence. And they would have little reason to hide evidence of Israeli involvement.

I'd note that Chris Cobb-Smith, the expert cited several times in that CNN article is on-record saying that the Israeli case regarding the hospital is “pretty thorough and conclusive", although he still can't give a definitive verdict in the absence of a proper investigation.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/gaza-hospital-bombing-what-know-experts-video-rcna121136

quote:

Former British army Maj. Chris Cobb-Smith, a weapons and munitions expert, said the Israeli case was “pretty thorough and conclusive,” although he cautioned that he would “want to see remnants of the munition recovered from the rubble.”

“As more evidence emerges, it appears it may well be an errant Palestinian rocket,” he said. “We should not be blinkered that this may, indeed, be an error on the part of the Palestinian forces.”

I would also note that he is hardly Israel's biggest fan historically.
https://edition.cnn.com/2022/05/24/middleeast/shireen-abu-akleh-jenin-killing-investigation-cmd-intl/

quote:

At 200 meters, Cobb-Smith said that there was “no chance” that random firing would result in three or four shots hitting in such a tight configuration. “From the strike marks on the tree, it appears that the shots, one of which hit Shireen, came from down the street from the direction of the IDF troops. The relatively tight grouping of the rounds indicate Shireen was intentionally targeted with aimed shots and not the victim of random or stray fire,” the firearms expert told CNN.
I also found this rather hilarious article whinging about him consistently calling out Israeli lies
https://www.ngo-monitor.org/cnn-cites-consultant-who-teams-up-with-ngos-to-bash-israel/

quote:

As seen below, for two decades, Cobb-Smith has joined with the most politicized anti-Israel NGOs in pushing false or unsubstantiated accusations of Israeli violations of the laws of war. For instance, Cobb-Smith advised Human Rights Watch in 2002 regarding Jenin, when the NGO ran campaigns alleging that Israel “committed war crimes.” During the 2009 Gaza conflict, Cobb-Smith worked for Amnesty International in a similar role. In particular, he circulated false claims (“there was no tactical reason; there was no reasonable use of that weapon system”) as well as claims (later discredited) that the IDF used white phosphorous “in an illegal manner.” Similarly, he has been involved with the campaigns of the anti-Israel NGO known as Forensic Architecture.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Oct 22, 2023

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

SirFozzie posted:

Even Israel doesn't say it's a Hamas rocket

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Main Paineframe posted:

That's a rather unusual definition of "ethnostate". Generally, the word is more commonly used to describe states that impose legal disadvantages on non-preferred ethnicities, or even deny citizenship to non-preferred ethnicities altogether.

And the UAE doesn't do this? The white expats aren't the non-preferred ethnicities.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I mean the obvious explanation would be that Hamas hid that evidence. And they would have little reason to hide evidence of Israeli involvement.

even in the images of the immediate aftermath there wasn't anything recognizable as such, which is decidedly strange. It's certainly possible that the event was a rocket falling out of the sky, but until fragments are turned up or an actual investigation is conducted who tf knows. I can't help but notice that they get mostly non-commital answers until they ask questions about specific munitions (eg was it a jdam?) and then the 'no it almost certainly was not an israeli jdam' gets conflated outwards as evidence that israel wasn't involved and editors write stronger headlines off of that one statement than the rest of the statements generally warrant.

as long as neither Israel or Hamas wants an investigation it's going to remain next to impossible to get any certainty about what happened. in the absence of wreckage, doctors woh treated victims could give some insight, but that's about it

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Oct 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I'd note that Chris Cobb-Smith, the expert cited several times in that CNN article is on-record saying that the Israeli case regarding the hospital is “pretty thorough and conclusive", although he still can't give a definitive verdict in the absence of a proper investigation.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/gaza-hospital-bombing-what-know-experts-video-rcna121136

I would also note that he is hardly Israel's biggest fan historically.
https://edition.cnn.com/2022/05/24/middleeast/shireen-abu-akleh-jenin-killing-investigation-cmd-intl/

I also found this rather hilarious article whinging about him consistently calling out Israeli lies
https://www.ngo-monitor.org/cnn-cites-consultant-who-teams-up-with-ngos-to-bash-israel/

If he's just going off of Israel's evidence, which uhh, is not the most trustworthy considering how much they've lied about it, then he's not working with the best information to begin with.