Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

He knows not to wear a hat indoors, he was raised right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1715844728330256879

It's bullshit but since he won't be serving them until next year I have a hard time getting exercised about it. This is funny tho:

https://twitter.com/Chandler_Rome/status/1715844215094075903

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I just prefer to not post like a teenage troll :shrug:

Lol you dipshit. "I view myself as a mature poster on the something awful forums."

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
If it's upheld though, he could be out for the start of the World Series if they advance :stonk:

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
If Jared Carrabis has a problem with Jeter not wearing a hat, Jeter's right to not wear a hat.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Texans take their silly hats very seriously.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

bawfuls posted:

Yeah Jeter's recent need to be in the public eye is bewildering

People like money

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Bregor posted:

People like money
With as much money as he already has, is being on tv really the best way to make more?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

bawfuls posted:

With as much money as he already has, is being on tv really the best way to make more?

I have no idea what Jeter's TV contract looks like but Peyton Manning is getting like $15 million a year so I imagine it's at least like $5-10 million

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

bawfuls posted:

He also is in car commercials with his wife and kids for some reason lol

Maybe he did some bad investments and needs the cash.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Intruder posted:

I have no idea what Jeter's TV contract looks like but Peyton Manning is getting like $15 million a year so I imagine it's at least like $5-10 million

Brady's going to get $37.5 million a year.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

live with fruit posted:

god, really? lmao

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

mcmagic posted:

He also is in car commercials with his wife and kids for some reason lol

Rich people are greedy.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

I wonder how many Bored Apes he owns

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

A tv job also keeps guys like Jeter and Brady in the sport consciousness with minimal effort. No coaching or traveling or anything but you gently caress around on air for a couple of hours. It keeps your brand alive and feeds whatever fomo you might have about moving on.

But yeah. It’s about money. And they no more have “enough” than any player does when they take a massive deal.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

live with fruit posted:

There really is nothing stupider than networks paying these huge salaries to analysts to call games when there isn't one person in the world who tunes into an NFL game on TV because of who the analyst is. They could play the games with just crowd noise or broadcasters that no one has ever heard of and not one less person would watch.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Analysts are important but there's no reason to believe Tom Brady in particular is any good at it. The Manningcast is great but Witten was a complete disaster

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
I find it invaluable to have an analyst who can sit there and tell me oh yea they were doing this and the defense was doing that to counter because I find that very interesting, but its also quite difficult to find such people and I bet I'm unusual in caring about the tiny details on a broadcast

But also get that bag after your career for all I care, I'll just mute you if you suck

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

It's very, very hard to find that in a broadcaster and it's very, very easy to find one who's terrible and annoying

Like whoever the TBS edit: FS1 I mean dude is, he's just kind of there? Not good by any means but also doesn't grate on you. But at least he's not Bob Costas

Intruder fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Oct 22, 2023

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Smoltz telling me for the 1000th time "that's a good pitch" is very helpful

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Our society's also generally obsessed with celebrities. Wipeout was good with John Henson and that guy from Sportscenter but now it's hosted by John Cena because celebrities have to do everything.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Jeter’s not even really a commentator or anything. He’s just on the pre/post game goof offs that are more about network and league marketing. Baseball’s just looking for it’s right combinations the way the NBA and NFL have. Sometimes that’s Shaq and Chuck and sometimes it’s Kenny Smith.

It’s funny because those teams mean less in baseball than other sports since there’s no halftime or intermission. So really the only one watching are the diehards and there’s barely any real analysis to do.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

STAC Goat posted:

Jeter’s not even really a commentator or anything. He’s just on the pre/post game goof offs that are more about network and league marketing. Baseball’s just looking for it’s right combinations the way the NBA and NFL have. Sometimes that’s Shaq and Chuck and sometimes it’s Kenny Smith.

It’s funny because those teams mean less in baseball than other sports since there’s no halftime or intermission. So really the only one watching are the diehards and there’s barely any real analysis to do.

And Inside the NBA is the best sports show on TV (until they ruin it by cramming Draymond Green in).

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

STAC Goat posted:

A tv job also keeps guys like Jeter and Brady in the sport consciousness with minimal effort. No coaching or traveling or anything but you gently caress around on air for a couple of hours. It keeps your brand alive and feeds whatever fomo you might have about moving on.

But yeah. It’s about money. And they no more have “enough” than any player does when they take a massive deal.

Yeah it’s this too. They stay on tv so that they’re relevant, and then they also get to do Buick commercials or whatever. He just seems to take no joy in it whatsoever.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
If they pay me a shitload of money to do some low stakes low effort poo poo, I'm taking it every time - who cares how much is already in the bank.

Thats why Jeter and Ortiz and A Rod all do it even though they're not hard up for cash.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah Inside the NBA is genuinely worth tuning into and probably draws people into games. I know it has for me. And NFL coverage is just all encompassing and people devote whole days to it. MLB wants something like this so they’ll keep throwing big names and personalities at it. It also probably won’t work because no one is gonna stay up an extra hour on a Tuesday night for baseball hijinks except the people you already have.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

they get paid to hang out, make jokes and talk about the sport they love. not a bad gig

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah Inside the NBA is genuinely worth tuning into and probably draws people into games. I know it has for me. And NFL coverage is just all encompassing and people devote whole days to it. MLB wants something like this so they’ll keep throwing big names and personalities at it. It also probably won’t work because no one is gonna stay up an extra hour on a Tuesday night for baseball hijinks except the people you already have.

baseball takes itself too seriously to really lean into the inside the nba type stuff. you'll never see anything like shaqtin a fool or chuck taste testing donuts or kenny racing shaq in the studio

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Bregor posted:

Yeah it’s this too. They stay on tv so that they’re relevant, and then they also get to do Buick commercials or whatever. He just seems to take no joy in it whatsoever.

Jeter’s just always had this tight stranglehold around his image as a survival instinct. I doubt he could let loose and look like an idiot even if he wanted to. Which he probably pathologically doesn’t.

That said I don’t care that he didn’t want to put on the ugly hat.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

STAC Goat posted:

NFL on CBS has like eight guys crammed around a not big enough desk now and it's hilarious.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It always cracks me up when they go around making picks and there’s like a dozen people across two or three sets. Is someone writing this down?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
I'd watch Inside the MLB if they got someone who is charismatic on the mic and a details nerd and paired them with Shaq to have Shaq fill the everyman who doesn't know 150 years of baseball trivia and strategy roll.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

shaq trying to talk about baseball would be extremely funny

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Popete posted:

Smoltz telling me for the 1000th time "that's a good pitch" is very helpful

"You cannot walk a guy there"

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

While I do think it’s just not terribly well fitting for baseball. I think halftime is key to making people watch band trying to find something entertaining enough that they don’t turn it off. But also it doesn’t help that they’re trying things like KayRod cast as their solutions.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Intruder posted:

Like whoever the TBS edit: FS1 I mean dude is, he's just kind of there? Not good by any means but also doesn't grate on you. But at least he's not Bob Costas
is this Joe Davis slander???

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Intruder posted:

shaq trying to talk about baseball would be extremely funny

And I would watch the hell out of it.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

bawfuls posted:

is this Joe Davis slander???

He sounds like he's doing his very best Joe Buck impression any time there's a big moment

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

STAC Goat posted:

While I do think it’s just not terribly well fitting for baseball. I think halftime is key to making people watch band trying to find something entertaining enough that they don’t turn it off. But also it doesn’t help that they’re trying things like KayRod cast as their solutions.

MLB Network has CC Sabathia do a Manningcast a couple of times a year but they pair him with boring in-house guys like Chris Young and Yonder Alonso.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Brian Anderson is the best national broadcaster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Popete posted:

Brian Anderson is the best national broadcaster.

i like him a lot. wish he had better from a color partner perspective