Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you think of the new international distribution deal?
This poll is closed.
Hate it 12 16.90%
REALLY hate it 16 22.54%
Hello, my name is Bob Chapek 43 60.56%
Total: 71 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

"Talk fast, hope something happens, take all the credit."

Like a new page snipe
All according to plan!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

OldMemes posted:

Some of the semi-licensed Doctor Who spin-offs, who are they even for? I can understand Omega being viable, but are people really that into Cwej, for example? It's a deep rabbit hole if you go down it.

I started the first set of Cwej short stories and they were awful. Some real "did some genocide as a quirky backstory" level of thinking about big issues.

On the other hand -- don't laugh -- the Paradise Towers short story collection loving rocked.

YELLOW KANGS FOREVER BITCHES.

The_Doctor posted:

And yet Big Finish rarely seems to expand their writing pool, aside from the once yearly short story competition where they choose one (1) person.

This used to be true, but it's less so now.

Not to harp on about them, but the Torchwood stories are a big talent pool for new writers, and a few of them have been pipelined off to the other ranges. It's pretty much the only range where you'll see regular writers of colour, trans writers, etc.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

The_Doctor posted:

And yet Big Finish rarely seems to expand their writing pool, aside from the once yearly short story competition where they choose one (1) person.

I realise nostalgia is poisonous but I really do miss early big finish when you had no idea what was coming next. Going from Shadow of the Scourge (which is a pretty conventional NA story) to The Holy Terror (which is both funny and dark and features FROBISHER for goodness sake) is just not something that seems to happen any more.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Fil5000 posted:

I realise nostalgia is poisonous but I really do miss early big finish when you had no idea what was coming next. Going from Shadow of the Scourge (which is a pretty conventional NA story) to The Holy Terror (which is both funny and dark and features FROBISHER for goodness sake) is just not something that seems to happen any more.

The Holy Terror is a regular listen for me just down to how loving weird it is.. And it works, absolutely, to have a talking penguin as a companion to Collin. I wish we had more!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The_Doctor posted:

With the Who range, at least with the Monthly Range, you not only needed to write, but also needed the ability to script edit.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I know people hated it, but I loved Capaldi’s holey hoodie look. That middle era of super casual Capaldi outfits really felt like the most natural thing for that Doctor to wear.

Capaldi’s who thing was “Dad who won’t let you touch the thermostat” and that outfit reflected that perfectly.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Semi-Retired Rockstar Dad who won't let you touch the thermostat!

If Michelle Gomez hadn't ended up being PERFCT then Ozzy would have been the Master during that run.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
I may be getting my hopes up with this, but am I wrong to be thinking we're going to be seeing more than just Ncuti and Tennant as the Doctor during the specials? All the secrecy around the 2nd episode has my mind going.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

RTD gonna give us the Jo Martin to Jon Pertwee regeneration :hai:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Where is Matt Smith lately? Does every old doctor have an alibi?

Maybe we get a spinoff of an old doctor travelling with another doctor as companion, inside of a future doctor who is a TARDIS hybrid.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Matt Smith is one of the stars of House of the Dragon. Not saying he couldn't be in the show, but he's certainly got other commitments at the moment.

That said I absolutely loved when he was interviewed for some other show he was in and was asked if he would prefer to do it or Doctor Who and almost before the question was finished he was excitedly answering,"DOCTOR WHO! :woop:" before he took a moment to say,"Oh but this is wonderful too and I am enjoying being part of it!" when he remembered what he was supposed to be doing PR for :allears:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I just got to his season!

Unfortunately this occurrence has filled me with my yearly pudding lust and I have no milk eggs or pudding mix.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Khanstant posted:

I just got to his season!

Unfortunately this occurrence has filled me with my yearly pudding lust and I have no milk eggs or pudding mix.

Season 5 is so loving amazing (Chibnall's 2-parter aside), it remains my favorite season of the revival so far.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
So I dropped off early in 13’s run. Worth catching up before the specials?

Maybe it’s a dumb question to ask “should I watch Doctor Who” in the Who thread, though.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

GigaPeon posted:

Maybe it’s a dumb question to ask “should I watch Doctor Who” in the Who thread, though.

I didn't watch series 13 but I can't recommend catching up on series 11 and 12.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

GigaPeon posted:

Yeah, there's maybe five good episodes.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Season 5 is so loving amazing (Chibnall's 2-parter aside), it remains my favorite season of the revival so far.

Season five is the result of Stephen Moffat planning his ideal season of Doctor Who for twenty years and then getting to do all of it. He put it all out there and while it's not perfect, it's likely as close as we're going to get.

Then he did five more seasons.

GigaPeon posted:

I did it because I had watched every existing episode of the show and watched reconstructions of all the missing ones. At that point I might as well watch it all, right?

If you're not up for that commitment watch Village of the Angels and The Power of the Daleks and you've pretty much seen everything watchable from her tenure.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Oct 22, 2023

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I know that Village of the Angels is popular around here, but I'm wondering if anyone else was as lukewarm to it as I was? I thought it was pretty uhh basic.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Open Source Idiom posted:

I know that Village of the Angels is popular around here, but I'm wondering if anyone else was as lukewarm to it as I was? I thought it was pretty uhh basic.

I liked that a lot of it was set up as a 1970s horror film and was shot that way. The one thing Chibnall did well during his disastrous tenure was making the show look good and I think this is the only story where the visual style matched the storytelling.

I also liked how it used the Angels who from their second appearance on were getting kind of overwhelmed with garbage piled on a simple concept; that's all on Moffat. Village stripped a lot of that away and just used them as a scary monster until the cliffhanger ending.

Basically great atmosphere and the best use of the most iconic monster of the new era since Blink.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Eve of the Daleks is also pretty solid outside of its "stalkers are good, actually, totally date them" ending

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Random Stranger posted:

If you're not up for that commitment watch Village of the Angels and The Power of the Daleks and you've pretty much seen everything watchable from her tenure.

Definitely agreed, that's Whitaker's best episode.

Joking aside, I wouldn't recommend watching any of Thirteen's run. Nothing rises above the bar of "good, I guess, considering" or the standard I prefer, "is it better than Dinosaurs On a Spaceship." And there's maybe two episodes that tie with what is a mediocre episode of a mediocre series.

The Power of the Doctor is a bad and incomprehensible episode of television but also by that point Chibnall realized how lovely it was and threw in ludicrous levels of fanservice so that people wouldn't hate him forever. It's... enjoyable bad, perhaps?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Haha yeah it's really stacked, a lot of these episodes I've watched multiple times on their own outside of my periodic rewatches.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
Cool I’ll check out the episodes mentioned cause why not. Has she regen’ed into Tennant on screen yet or they saving that for the special. Love a good regeneration.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The problem with the 13 seasons is they had good stuff going on just enough to keep those of us who wanted to be optimistic about the show and see Jody do what we knew she could.

Most of it is just bland, but even most of the worst episodes have decent stuff going on that gets fumbled in the third act.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

GigaPeon posted:

Cool I’ll check out the episodes mentioned cause why not. Has she regen’ed into Tennant on screen yet or they saving that for the special. Love a good regeneration.

Happened at the end of Power of the Doctor

Also on the Who YouTube channel if you want just that scene

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Power of the Doctor felt like it was written by AI, with important plot points being quickly forgotten and never resolved, characters just turning up or disappearing, and just general weirdness overall. Anyone who’s played with an AI knows what I mean, and there’s an unpleasant familiarity when watching PotD that begins to creep in.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Vinylshadow posted:

Happened at the end of Power of the Doctor

Also on the Who YouTube channel if you want just that scene

Lol, why’d his clothes regenerate?

“Davies later explained that he wished for the Doctor's clothes to change as part of the first regeneration from a female to a male Doctor, fearing it would be interpreted as a mockery of feminine traits and drag culture by having Tennant appearing in clothing designed for Whittaker.”

Sure, I guess.

Did people generally shout and holler and have a good time when Tennent showed up? Or were the specials announced before?

GigaPeon fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Oct 22, 2023

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

GigaPeon posted:

Did people generally shout and holler and have a good time when Tennent showed up? Or were the specials announced before?

I believe it was rumored, but everyone was expecting Whittaker to regenerate into Ncuti Gatwa.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'm another who was lukewarm on Village of the Angels, and was a little surprised at just how well-liked it was in the thread here. But then again, the first rule of the Doctor Who thread is that none of us can agree that anything is universally good or bad!

Whittaker's second season is worse though it does have Sacha Dhawan having the time of his life and the introduction of Jo Martin, which is nice, and then one of the stupidest loving dumb "continuity" decisions in the show's history, that was so bad that even Chibnal largely just decided to try and pretend it never happened.

Flux is half a season with some good ideas and also some really, really stupid stuff. Then Eve of the Daleks is actually a pretty drat good episode, the "romantic" stalker dude aside, followed by as astoundingly awful Sea Devils episode that is incredibly bad, and then Power of the Doctor is just complete nonsense but in a very enjoyable "gently caress it, it's the last episode, let's go crazy!" fashion.

GigaPeon posted:

I knew he was going to be in the specials, but I had just assumed it was going to be as 10. I was loving blown away when Tennant appeared after 13's regeneration, when I had been expecting Ncuti Gatwa. Certainly got me intrigued for the next special, and every bit of promotional stuff they've done since has only made me more excited. But also I really, really, really want to get to Gatwa!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I could've swore I saw Smith's clothes change when he changed over from Tenant but now I am doubting it despite watching it happen a few hours ago

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

He definitely doesn't:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVEY5AL5zzk

In fact I recall there being a behind the scenes clip of Tennant spotting Smith heading in to film his first scene (for the revival, the old showrunner will film their Doctor regenerating, then pass over to the new showrunner to film the scene of the regeneration completing) and saying how weird it was seeing another actor wearing HIS clothes.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Oct 22, 2023

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
No he went around in Tennant's shirt and tie until the final hospital scene where he gets his proper outfit. Its very unkempt though and looks a lot different on him.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Also it was never going to last and I love the outfit she got, but Whittaker absolutely rocked Capaldi's worn out old suit in The Woman Who Fell to Earth

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Tennant looked good in Nine's ensemble for the brief scene he wore it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKoSbpSdx1U

Also wow the blue glow from the console does a lot of heavy lifting with the lightning - "But we never stopped, did we", and poof, the blue's gone

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

loving hell, he was so young!

DavidCameronsPig
Jun 23, 2023

Khanstant posted:

I could've swore I saw Smith's clothes change when he changed over from Tenant but now I am doubting it despite watching it happen a few hours ago

Him wondering around in Tenant's torn up and knackered clothes is where Amy's Raggedy Doctor nickname came from. And the scene where he nicks some poor hospital doctors clothes (which in hindsight, lol, bit harsh) and Amy is watching him get dressed all :circlefap: was a big setup for the Doctor and the Ponds whole dynamic.

CommonShore posted:

The problem with the 13 seasons is they had good stuff going on just enough to keep those of us who wanted to be optimistic about the show and see Jody do what we knew she could.

Most of it is just bland, but even most of the worst episodes have decent stuff going on that gets fumbled in the third act.

The most frustrating part was he kept setting up really cool, potentially interesting twists, especially in their second season, and then either resolving them in the most boring mundane way possible, or a lot of the time just straight up not bothering. He blew up 2/3rds of the universe and they just....left it? I think it's still blown up. It was absolutely infuriating.

I guess somehow in the specials a reset button will get mashed, like Moffat did with the cracks.

Jerusalem posted:

I knew he was going to be in the specials, but I had just assumed it was going to be as 10. I was loving blown away when Tennant appeared after 13's regeneration, when I had been expecting Ncuti Gatwa. Certainly got me intrigued for the next special, and every bit of promotional stuff they've done since has only made me more excited. But also I really, really, really want to get to Gatwa!

A lot of people called it when it came out that the whole reasons these specials exist is because Ncuti Gatwa is still wrapping up stuff for that absolutely godawful Netflix show and they probably could only get him in for a couple days in front of a blue screen. If you're going to have Tenant focused specials, the regeneration scene ended with him going 'What, What!?' to titles becomes an obvious hook. Just like he's definitely going out saying something like 'I'm ready to go' before regenerating into Gatwa.

If you're not the sort of dork following production rumours on an old dead forum about Doctor Who, it was probably an awesome twist though!

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

DavidCameronsPig posted:

Him wondering around in Tenant's torn up and knackered clothes is where Amy's Raggedy Doctor nickname came from. And the scene where he nicks some poor hospital doctors clothes (which in hindsight, lol, bit harsh) and Amy is watching him get dressed all :circlefap: was a big setup for the Doctor and the Ponds whole dynamic.

The most frustrating part was he kept setting up really cool, potentially interesting twists, especially in their second season, and then either resolving them in the most boring mundane way possible, or a lot of the time just straight up not bothering. He blew up 2/3rds of the universe and they just....left it? I think it's still blown up. It was absolutely infuriating.

I guess somehow in the specials a reset button will get mashed, like Moffat did with the cracks.

A lot of people called it when it came out that the whole reasons these specials exist is because Ncuti Gatwa is still wrapping up stuff for that absolutely godawful Netflix show and they probably could only get him in for a couple days in front of a blue screen. If you're going to have Tenant focused specials, the regeneration scene ended with him going 'What, What!?' to titles becomes an obvious hook. Just like he's definitely going out saying something like 'I'm ready to go' before regenerating into Gatwa.

If you're not the sort of dork following production rumours on an old dead forum about Doctor Who, it was probably an awesome twist though!

Can confirm, watched it with no knowledge of what was going to happen beyond Jodie regenerating and did a massive "WHAT?" about a second before Tennant did. That episode is a messy bitch but that ending is superb.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

DavidCameronsPig posted:

And the scene where he nicks some poor hospital doctors clothes (which in hindsight, lol, bit harsh) and Amy is watching him get dressed all :circlefap:

Maybe that's :thejoke: but I remember those being Rory's scrubs lmao

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
Dang kinda wish I stuck around for the surprise. But I guess it doesn’t seem worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

DavidCameronsPig posted:

Yeah I love the changing scene, I guess I just imagined seeing his clothes morph along with the face when doing the big scream and that raggedy man was just a British neg. I also love the twist of Amy being hot for the doctor since it sets up a couple really great arcs that I feel are pretty unique in TV love... Not triangle, I'm not sure what polygon to use for the analogy considering all the time travel and maculate time conception.