Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
If you’re still holding the bud it will read as being in ear a lot because it’s just not that sophisticated and being in hand is like “eh, good enough” for whatever sensor it uses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Mine still seem to work as always, but there’s one thing that’s obvious with experimentation that I don’t think I’ve ever seen mentioned — the ear detection triggers don’t work much at all if the earbud (read: your head) is horizontal.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Went to put on a screen protector and it wasn't sticking. After examining the screen a little more closely the issue was a few microscratches in the corners of the screen. Not sure if they were caused by the application of the screen protector or what but I find it weird that my 13p went years without any scratches and my 15pm doesn't even make it a week.

Oct 21, 2023
its your first time purchasing a product in 7 years?

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

My MIL got me one of the Apple MagSafe wallets for my phone last Christmas and despite me thinking they were very dumb previously, I have basically been using it non-stop now. I don’t need much more than an ID and backup credit card and it provides my caseless phone with a bit of cushion.

My only issue is that it’s a bit thick, so my optimal solution would be a simple leather back that just MagSafes to the back and provides no side protection. Does such a thing exist? The wallet adheres pretty well and I haven’t had any issue with it sliding off and I’m assuming something larger could brace against the camera bump. Anyone know where I could find something like this?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

SaturdayKnight posted:

My MIL got me one of the Apple MagSafe wallets for my phone last Christmas and despite me thinking they were very dumb previously, I have basically been using it non-stop now. I don’t need much more than an ID and backup credit card and it provides my caseless phone with a bit of cushion.

My only issue is that it’s a bit thick, so my optimal solution would be a simple leather back that just MagSafes to the back and provides no side protection. Does such a thing exist? The wallet adheres pretty well and I haven’t had any issue with it sliding off and I’m assuming something larger could brace against the camera bump. Anyone know where I could find something like this?

Isn’t that what the apple wallet one does? I have it and it’s just the back, doesn’t go to the sides. 3 cards / ID max, but really 2 fits comfortably.

And also agreed, I have never been a wallet case person, but I got the MagSafe wallet a year ago and use it way more than carrying my full wallet.

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

Duckman2008 posted:

Isn’t that what the apple wallet one does? I have it and it’s just the back, doesn’t go to the sides. 3 cards / ID max, but really 2 fits comfortably.

And also agreed, I have never been a wallet case person, but I got the MagSafe wallet a year ago and use it way more than carrying my full wallet.

Sorry, guess I wasn’t clear, what I meant was like a leather “plate” that covers the whole back but isn’t a wallet, just like a thin leather piece. Sometimes I feel like the wallet adds too much bulk (I have a mini which is conveniently identical in width to the wallet so you notice it more in the hand. I have a regular sized 12 from work and I can barely tell when the wallet is attached to that one so I guess this just an issue with the mini…).

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Virtue posted:

Went to put on a screen protector and it wasn't sticking. After examining the screen a little more closely the issue was a few microscratches in the corners of the screen. Not sure if they were caused by the application of the screen protector or what but I find it weird that my 13p went years without any scratches and my 15pm doesn't even make it a week.

Dunno about the 15 but my 13P had multiple scratches after a few months with very light use. Apple still took the full trade in value on it, 14P was treated exactly the same and is perfect after about a year.

Luck of the draw I guess

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

SaturdayKnight posted:

Sorry, guess I wasn’t clear, what I meant was like a leather “plate” that covers the whole back but isn’t a wallet, just like a thin leather piece. Sometimes I feel like the wallet adds too much bulk (I have a mini which is conveniently identical in width to the wallet so you notice it more in the hand. I have a regular sized 12 from work and I can barely tell when the wallet is attached to that one so I guess this just an issue with the mini…).

Why not just get something like an iPhone skin? Dbrand is one maker, I'm sure there are dozens of cheap knockoffs on Amazon as well.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Dbrand also has actual leather options that are pretty good in my experience

I'm trying their "Acid" themed back on my blue titanium 15PM this time around

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Ha my stolen 15 Pro ended up in China 2 weeks later

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Aw it returned to its spawning ground to reproduce

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Ha my stolen 15 Pro ended up in China 2 weeks later

Really curious if you’re gonna start getting messages from “apple support” now using strangle hostile carrot and stick approaches. When my friend got his stolen it ended up in the same city and he started getting *wild* messages.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They "have" to, any circuit in the phone is useless as long as the device is locked. Best case they can sell the screen, battery and chassis as spare parts. But if they can scam someone into unlocking the device? They got a brand new phone to hawk as well as access to your icloud account.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

buglord posted:

Really curious if you’re gonna start getting messages from “apple support” now using strangle hostile carrot and stick approaches. When my friend got his stolen it ended up in the same city and he started getting *wild* messages.

So with a physical SIM, you can just pop it into another phone to figure out the number by sending a text to another phone. Can you find the number with an eSIM on a locked phone?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

xzzy posted:

They "have" to, any circuit in the phone is useless as long as the device is locked. Best case they can sell the screen, battery and chassis as spare parts. But if they can scam someone into unlocking the device? They got a brand new phone to hawk as well as access to your icloud account.

This is why I tend to be more supportive of Apple hardware locking many iPhone parts - these criminal networks stealing phones are insane. I attended a music festival early in the Summer and there were groups of thieves going around swiping phones and this is exactly what happened to them - threatening text messages trying to convince them to unlock their Apple ID while their device was active in China.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
It unfortunately must be fairly effective if they are still doing it.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Yeah, IMEI locks aren't valid in every country, plus there's always the potential that an unsuspected victim ends up unlocking the phone for the thief.

I can't imagine how much more rampant it would be if every stolen iPhone part could freely be used/sold by any thief in the US.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Maybe people would be constantly getting mugged in the streets for them like you’d think would be common for a world where every person is carrying around $1000+ of easily portable tech.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Data Graham posted:

Maybe people would be constantly getting mugged in the streets for them like you’d think would be common for a world where every person is carrying around $1000+ of easily portable tech.

They'll just break your car window and take your center console change instead

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Loving the adaptive volume on the gen 2 Airpod Pros, but it just highlights how often I talk to myself while working, doing yard work, or whatever. My volume is constantly getting turned down haha.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Loving the adaptive volume on the gen 2 Airpod Pros, but it just highlights how often I talk to myself while working, doing yard work, or whatever. My volume is constantly getting turned down haha.

Yeah, or if you try to sing along

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I had to turn that off because a cough pauses stuff. Or if I laugh at a podcast.

edit: That reminds me, if anyone wants my lightning AirPods Pros 2, I've got them in the Mart.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
If it paused podcasts, I'd keep it switched on, but it just mutes them. That's fine for music, but annoying for podcasts.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
I was rewatching some scenes from Silo (great show btw) on my iPhone 15 PM, was kind of amazed at how good the audio sounds with the built-in speakers in the Apple TV app.

Remember 00s-era iPhones and their incredibly underwhelming speakers?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

pzy posted:

Yes, I owned Nexus 5 :v:

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.

pzy posted:

I was rewatching some scenes from Silo (great show btw) on my iPhone 15 PM, was kind of amazed at how good the audio sounds with the built-in speakers in the Apple TV app.

I was surprised this wasn't mentioned in reviews. The day I got my 15 pro I noticed right away how better they sounded in videos and music.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Can’t anyone help me figure out why my phone isn’t giving me audio notifications when I get texts anymore even though I haven’t change any settings?

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Apparently I accidentally got the silent switch that I forgot existed.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
My 12 Pro Face ID suddenly stopped working. It shows as an issue in “Parts and Service history”. It got a little wet yesterday so I imagine that might be related. Any troubleshooting I should do or am I pretty much screwed?

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,
el que pinta es el pintor.

The deep scratches on the 15P keep showing up, but at this point I just have to live with it. Maybe we’ll get a $15 check from Apple in 8 years after a class-action settlement.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

GhostOfTomNook posted:

The deep scratches on the 15P keep showing up, but at this point I just have to live with it. Maybe we’ll get a $15 check from Apple in 8 years after a class-action settlement.

Huh? What issue are you describing and what would be applicable to a possible claim in court?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

GhostOfTomNook posted:

Maybe wash the sand off your fingers before doomscrolling, OP

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

i think it's that apple going with stronger glass on the front means it's more susceptible to scratching so people are dealing with the consequences of that. i'm not sure how or why it'd generate a class action lawsuit, but i suppose anything is possible.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I assumed they were being facetious.

Being more prone to fine scratches has been a thing for a few years now, people grumble about it but we all just move on.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Talorat posted:

My 12 Pro Face ID suddenly stopped working. It shows as an issue in “Parts and Service history”. It got a little wet yesterday so I imagine that might be related. Any troubleshooting I should do or am I pretty much screwed?

What OS are you running? I’m on a 15 Pro with 17.1 and this morning my Face ID was dead. Looking it up it seems to be a common problem- in the Face ID settings there should be a Reset at the very bottom which worked thankfully, but now I think I have to erase and re download the apps that use it as none of those recognize my face at all, just the iPhone’s native system.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
wash your hands after cleaning the cat's litter box folks! cat sand is the same as real sand

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
If you’re really bothered by scratches on your screen and you’re not buying a screen protector I dunno what to tell you

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Where’s my dang iOS 17.1 at, Tim Apple

No, I don’t want beta updates!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Macichne Leainig posted:

If you’re really bothered by scratches on your screen and you’re not buying a screen protector I dunno what to tell you

Yeah I’ve definitely noticed my phones getting scratched more the last couple years so this time around I’m rocking a protector and no case. Perfect combo.