Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Kaddish posted:

We can’t even get down to the canal areas right now, it’s all cordoned off.

You have your orders.

You scheduled your trip during interesting times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Gabriel Grub posted:

You have your orders.

You scheduled your trip during interesting times.

Oh I’ll definitely walk down there, we’re like 20m away at the Cross hotel.

Turned the game on tv, Japanese fans are way more into the game compared to Americans.

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Oct 20, 2023

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

I'm gonna get silly tonight and hopefully stay up until the rugby.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Finishing off my final full day in Japan with some okonomiyaki. Just 6 days of super chill going around Tokyo with my mum. Got to catch up with an old classmate, got to get some cheap/exclusive gunpla and Pokemon merch and see the big Gundam, checked out the Donki in Asakusa and also the Mega Donki in Shibuya, looked at a bunch of weeb poo poo in Akihabara, spent an insane amount of time at the Tokyo National Museum, and also had uni and horse meat for the first time in my life. All in all, a really nice trip.

I did not end up having the time to fit in checking out the Gundam Base in Odaiba so I guess that's something for when I'm next in Japan.

I think the only "oh, Japan" moment I really had was walking around the Mega Donki and seeing a "sexy preschooler" costume for sale in the Halloween display next to the "sexy JK" costumes.

Ibblebibble fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Oct 20, 2023

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Tigers take the lead.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I’m drinking a Strong Zero in anticipation of braving that madness.

Explosive Tampons
Jul 9, 2014

Your days are gone!!!
I'm going to land in NRT in December and now that I'm actually going to Japan for real (tm) this thread is worth its weight in gold. I'm probably reading at least the last 100 pages in reverse order for cool poo poo to do, I already found some in the last 15 or so.

e: oops looks like I dropped into sportsgame talk by mistake. :o

Explosive Tampons fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Oct 20, 2023

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Bases loaded.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Tigers up by two. Peeps gonna be heading into Dontonbori in numbers now.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I’m in the thick of it, camera crews, 20,000 people, hundreds of cops. They’re trying to prevent people from stopping on the bridges.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
3 outs until Osaka explodes into insanity.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
2outs

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
One out left.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Yessssssss

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Ballgame.

Enjoy the madness, don’t get mistaken for a foreign ballplayer.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Yes... haha ha Yes

mongolia
Jan 18, 2017

The only prefecture without a Donki is Kochi.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Need a trip report if you survive

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Last night in Japan, good trip. Went to teamLab botanical gardens, it was pretty alright.

Japan is only the second country we’ve visited that we feel we definitely need to come back as we’ve only scratched the surface of stuff we want to do and see. First was Italy.

We both enjoyed Osaka as a city much more than Tokyo. Kyoto was extremely cool, and I almost finished my Goshuin book just walking around the city. Good times.

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Oct 21, 2023

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Glad you had a good time.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I lost control and spent so much money on ceramics…again. There’s a woman in Tokyo who specializes in rare stuff from the Kyushu region. Only 10 kilns making the stuff she sells.

It’s so beautiful I wish I could have bought bigger items.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

cheese eats mouse posted:

I lost control and spent so much money on ceramics…again. There’s a woman in Tokyo who specializes in rare stuff from the Kyushu region. Only 10 kilns making the stuff she sells.

It’s so beautiful I wish I could have bought bigger items.

Who specifically?

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
I have maybe an odd question but..have any of y'all been to any of the original Iron Chefs' restaurants in Japan? I have been watching old reruns and I'm really curious if it'd be something worth doing.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Kaddish posted:

Last night in Japan, good trip. Went to teamLab botanical gardens, it was pretty alright.

Japan is only the second country we’ve visited that we feel we definitely need to come back as we’ve only scratched the surface of stuff we want to do and see. First was Italy.

We both enjoyed Osaka as a city much more than Tokyo. Kyoto was extremely cool, and I almost finished my Goshuin book just walking around the city. Good times.

What made you like Osaka more than Tokyo, out of curiosity? I visited both a few years ago and liked Tokyo a lot more - what I saw of Osaka outside Dotonbori felt more like an industrial city but I may have just not gone to the right places.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Good Listener posted:

I have maybe an odd question but..have any of y'all been to any of the original Iron Chefs' restaurants in Japan? I have been watching old reruns and I'm really curious if it'd be something worth doing.
I had loosely planned to try to get to Heichinrou (a challenger to Chen Kenichi) once while planning my own trip but the time didn't work out.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Mons Hubris posted:

What made you like Osaka more than Tokyo, out of curiosity? I visited both a few years ago and liked Tokyo a lot more - what I saw of Osaka outside Dotonbori felt more like an industrial city but I may have just not gone to the right places.
There's lots of small areas and suburbs that aren't visually pretty but have a different atmosphere than Tokyo. Personal preference but living here is way better for me.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Good Listener posted:

https://www.tofugu.com/series/iron-chef-restaurants/

Full list for my personal benefit

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Mons Hubris posted:

Not directed at me but:

I think the people are nicer in Osaka. The vibe there is more chill. A Japanese friend described it to me like this:

Tokyo is: and he adjusted his tie to make it nice and neat and tight.
Osaka is: and he took off the tie.

And that seems about right. Also the food is better in Osaka.

Tokyo is also not just Tokyo but a bunch of other cities all smooshed together in the megalopolis that is called Tokyo. It's like Los Angeles.

Osaka is digestible in a way that Tokyo isn't.

I think Tokyo is cool as hell to visit. But Osaka makes me want to stay.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Anyone have updates on the foreign visa problem? I'm getting a little worried since it's still not fixed for suica and I ran into issues with smartex today.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

ntan1 posted:

Who specifically?

https://maps.app.goo.gl/5Dax92taiN88E1o2A?g_st=ic

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

That's really dangerous knowledge for me...

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Virtue posted:

Anyone have updates on the foreign visa problem? I'm getting a little worried since it's still not fixed for suica and I ran into issues with smartex today.
It's been like this for like 2 years now so I doubt we'll see any resolution soon.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

What's the foreign visa problem? Searching just brings up old articles on covid travel restrictions.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

What's the foreign visa problem? Searching just brings up old articles on covid travel restrictions.

VISA as in credit cards. Non-JP Visas no longer work with Mobile Suica and I doubt it's changing anytime soon. Mastercard and AMEX should still work though.

https://atadistance.net/2023/07/15/foreign-visa-cards-blocked-for-japanese-mobile-and-online-payments/

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

Thanks for this~ Time to research~

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

.Z. posted:

That's really dangerous knowledge for me...

The prices are also pretty reasonable for the work she has to do to get the stuff. I spent 10.5¥ and picked up a matcha mixing bowl, two small to medium plates, and a small vase.

We ended up buying an extra suitcase at the Tokyo flea market today for 2.5k¥. Also found a painted scroll on silk for 2k in its OG box with papers, and another tea bowl in it’s OG signed box plus various other smaller items. I think we spent maybe 10k. Flea markets own.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

I do think Osaka could use some more green space. It’s kind of wild that Tokyo seems to have them beat here.

Between the three I think I liked Kyoto the most in major part because of its green spaces along the (extremely managed) river.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
If Kyoto can move away from buses into subway or light rail, it would make commuting in the city way more bearable for everyone.

I loved Hiroshimas system. I think I took every form of transit there as there was always something to use.

Explosive Tampons
Jul 9, 2014

Your days are gone!!!

Wonton posted:

Dormy Inn, it’s easy and good enough for first timers or budget people. You get a top floor onsen, free noodles at 9pm.

Actual hot spring baths in Tokyo with a convenient location is pretty much non existent without costing $$$. You are better off going to a bathhouse or dormy inn. I don’t think tattoos on foreigners is a big thing? Anymore but if in doubt, get some wraps from Amazon and call it the day.

DORMY INN DORMY INN

I like everything I saw on those DORMIES. Got 4 nights in Kanda for roughly $120 each which is pretty nice for the Tokyo leg of my vacation, even if I'm sure one of you will produce a link with a better price/location for it and go "lol owned". Eh it can't be helped, I'm a travel noob.

Speaking of being a fuckin' goon I'm still trying to figure out what I actually want to do in Japan and how far west will I go by rail, I've been seeing some nice recommendations itt by reading it backwards but I have a feeling I should just throw in the towel and admit I'm a typical first timer and buy a travel guidebook or something. Is there any good travel planning site/app with a map where you can put virtual pins and have a rough timetable? I'm getting lost in my .txts and spreadsheets already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
How long will you be in Japan?

The typical Tokyo-Kyoto-Return route is just fine, tbh.