Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I used to have a rad nineball-seraph kit and it was pretty solid, took way longer to build than even the two or three MG kits I had around that time. I can't recall ever having any issues with it, and I'd absolutely rebuy it if I found it cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Gnossiennes posted:

The p bandai Gundam Rose is so much nicer than the ancient Gundam Rose kit.

im unfamiliar with many gundam series but is that a gundam that is also a pirate

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Blaziken386 posted:

im unfamiliar with many gundam series but is that a gundam that is also a pirate

It’s a Napoleonic duelist.

The pirate Gundam is a different one.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Blaziken386 posted:

No, a chivralic French fighter

The pirate gundam is the Crossbone

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Blaziken386 posted:

G Gundam has all the goofiest robot designs. It is also the home of the tequila gundam (sadly no kit)

and the nether gundam

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Don't forget the horse gundam, piloted by an actual horse.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

wdarkk posted:

It’s a Napoleonic duelist.

The pirate Gundam is a different one.

kirbysuperstar posted:

No, a chivralic French fighter

The pirate gundam is the Crossbone

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

G Gundam has all the goofiest robot designs. It is also the home of the tequila gundam (sadly no kit)

and the nether gundam

BisbyWorl posted:

:allears:
i knew about the windmill one, but still

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Suruga-ya claimed another one.

Finally got hands on an Aerial and Demi and expansion kit, plus some other random stuff.

Thanks thread!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BisbyWorl posted:

That one has a regular modern release at least.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

ok so Suruga-ya seems to have taken the thread by storm. What's the deal with this spot? is there a catch? I somehow got lucky and grabbed one of every WFM kit as they released, but is it good for older kits or p-bandai?

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

BisbyWorl posted:

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

and the nether gundam

i didn't know about any of these and i am glad that my eyes have been opened

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Blaziken386 posted:

:allears:
i knew about the windmill one, but still

Gnossiennes posted:

i didn't know about any of these and i am glad that my eyes have been opened

Do yourself a favor and watch G Gundam. Watch the dub because Mark Gatha is good and it's a show that earns its cheesy dialogue.

It's an unironic goon favorite.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

I want an MG Fuunsaiki that has a tiny horse figure and a cockpit like most other MGs.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I got really put off by G Gundam's writing for any women tho. Its just so bad there.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Warmachine posted:

Do yourself a favor and watch G Gundam. Watch the dub because Mark Gatha is good and it's a show that earns its cheesy dialogue.

It's an unironic goon favorite.

It also actually got toys of all the absolutely insane Gundams, which contributed to the end of the Mobile Suit in Action line. The Burning Gundam and Master Gundam and such sold fine, but since stores had to buy Nether Gundams and Minotaur Gundams and Mandala Gundams to get the big name Gundams, they wound up with a ton of unsold action figures. Follow the show up with the flop that was Superior Defenders, and you got a lot of stores not wanting to stock Gundam merch.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I remember walking into a Wal*Mart and seeing a wall full of Mandala Gundams, dozens and dozens of the things, and I knew then that the end was near.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Synthbuttrange posted:

I got really put off by G Gundam's writing for any women tho. Its just so bad there.

I won't hear a word against Janet, Shirley, Cath, and Bunny

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

amazon has decided to torture me by delaying not one, but two orders of gunpla. why, amazon. stop doing this to me on my days off.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

It also actually got toys of all the absolutely insane Gundams, which contributed to the end of the Mobile Suit in Action line. The Burning Gundam and Master Gundam and such sold fine, but since stores had to buy Nether Gundams and Minotaur Gundams and Mandala Gundams to get the big name Gundams, they wound up with a ton of unsold action figures. Follow the show up with the flop that was Superior Defenders, and you got a lot of stores not wanting to stock Gundam merch.

Bimmi posted:

I remember walking into a Wal*Mart and seeing a wall full of Mandala Gundams, dozens and dozens of the things, and I knew then that the end was near.

I had the same experience as a kid, though I was too young to recognize the portent.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
So the other day I started playing Xenogears, and today, I remembered that I had read about there being model kits based off the Gears in the game. I did a quick search and it looks like you can still get them, but you have to preorder.

The first result I found was straight from the Square Enix Online Store, where they come in what looks like collection (one with four models for $84.99, and another with three models for $129.97)

The second was from Mecha Warehouse, where it looks like you can buy the models individually (here's Weltall for $23.75, and Heimdall for the same price)

I was just looking to get one for the time being, so is Mecha Warehouse a good site to go through? If not, is there somewhere else I can look?

Also, since the models are unpainted, is there somewhere I can look to find a paint guide for them?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Looks like suruga-ya has the heimdall and brigandier right now if you wanna buy without preordering.

Bandai kits normally come with a color guide printed in the manual showing which paints to mix in which ratios to color-match the "official" colors. It looks like these square enix kits don't have one of those though so you might have to wing it based on the painted preview photos on the box, the original game, or just whatever looks cool.

Are you planning on brush painting or airbrushing? Most guides you find will probably assume you've got an airbrush but I doubt you wanna buy all that pricey equipment just for one :20bux: robot.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I had a Mandala and a Zulu. Almost got a Tauros but managed to talk my way up to one of the Battle Scarred Zakus instead, cool subline.

Mandala was actually kinda cool with its weird bead body and joints.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

kirbysuperstar posted:

Koto's had the AC license since Gen 3 I think

Following up on this I've discovered that while Bandai doesn't have a gunpla license for Armored Core they do have the Robit Spirits license to make figures for Armored Core 6. Be interesting to see what comes from that.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Looks like suruga-ya has the heimdall and brigandier right now if you wanna buy without preordering.

Bandai kits normally come with a color guide printed in the manual showing which paints to mix in which ratios to color-match the "official" colors. It looks like these square enix kits don't have one of those though so you might have to wing it based on the painted preview photos on the box, the original game, or just whatever looks cool.

Are you planning on brush painting or airbrushing? Most guides you find will probably assume you've got an airbrush but I doubt you wanna buy all that pricey equipment just for one :20bux: robot.

I had thought about making a Suruga-ya account a while ago, so I can check that out. The price seems pretty good, though I dunno what the shipping's going to be like.

I do have an airbrush. I bought a Badger 105 a few years ago for painting 40K models, but I've only used it twice, so I don't have much experience with it. I'd like to use that, but I'd need to practice with it some more first.

I do need to buy Gunpla paints though, because aside from color matching, the Gunpla paints like Tamiya and Mr.Color look to be different from Citadel/Vallejo. Tamiya is described as being acrylic, but have a warning about being flammable (it sounds like they have to be thinned with alcohol), and Mr.Color is described as a lacquer. In either case, it looks like they result in a shiner finish.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
They've got free shipping until monday (just like the past 3 weekends) which is why the thread loves em now. Because yeah international shipping would normally evaporate all cost savings.

Just be careful with hobby lacquers or enamels. Wear PPE and don't paint indoors as they can be far more toxic than acrylic paints if you inhale them.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Arc Hammer posted:

Following up on this I've discovered that while Bandai doesn't have a gunpla license for Armored Core they do have the Robit Spirits license to make figures for Armored Core 6. Be interesting to see what comes from that.

Rusty Rusty Rusty

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Waffleman_ posted:

Rusty Rusty Rusty

Who needs you... buddy?

Me I need him, Rusty. I need you, too.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

They've got free shipping until monday (just like the past 3 weekends) which is why the thread loves em now. Because yeah international shipping would normally evaporate all cost savings.

I'm glad you told me that, because that prompted me to go ahead and bought a listing that had the set of four (I really wanted the Weltall kit).

I realized after ordering, though, that it and the other listings were marked as 'used', so that has me a little worried. Still, sometimes you have to take a gamble.

How often does Suruga-Ya do free shipping promotions?

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Just be careful with hobby lacquers or enamels. Wear PPE and don't paint indoors as they can be far more toxic than acrylic paints if you inhale them.

I got a respirator around the same time as the airbrush, and when I assemble models (with Tamiya Model Cement), I generally do it out in the shed where's there's ventilation (there were a couple of times I did it inside with the windows open while the weather was nice). I have to double-check the respirator to see if it's got the right kind of filters, though.

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*

Max Wilco posted:

I do need to buy Gunpla paints though, because aside from color matching, the Gunpla paints like Tamiya and Mr.Color look to be different from Citadel/Vallejo. Tamiya is described as being acrylic, but have a warning about being flammable (it sounds like they have to be thinned with alcohol), and Mr.Color is described as a lacquer. In either case, it looks like they result in a shiner finish.

Unless there's something I'm missing, you should be able to use Citadel and/or Vallejo without much issue...? There's unfortunately no official color guide at all, but the website lists 'Polystyrene' as the material for the main body and 'Nylon' for the polycaps etc., so I don't believe there's any technical reason you couldn't use your existing paints. Either hand-brushing or airbrushing I think. (Though I'd be happy to learn why I'm wrong if that's the case.)

There's certainly reports of people using Vallejo paints for these models online without much issue.

Here's a video showing exactly what should be in the box, which should be useful when it arrives just in case it's a little more 'used' than usual.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbE515l6pDg

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So as a thanks for helping her out with some financial and emotional poo poo since my father passed my mother decided to surprise me with a gift while we were out celebrating my father's birthday and saying our farewells and whatnot. So since she knows I'm into gunpla again she decided to make a surprise stop while we were on our way back.

Big epyon statue was neat, the pearl city donkey loves epyon, there are a bunch of cardboard cutouts of it and they have a bunch of epyons in the displays as well.

Anyway the novelty here is that while I was looking around at things she insisted on buying the biggest kit they had and handing it to me afterwards. Not like, the most expensive or anything. But the physically biggest one they had. So now I have this:

I looked at the price and felt bad.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

That's such a sweet, very mom gesture :unsmith: I'm sorry for your loss and I hope you enjoy the build, it looks like a fun one.

I'm finally getting to my RG Mk II after seeing so many people sing it's praises. I'm enjoying that it actually has you build so much of the frame before applying armor, but these little wire and fabric tube elements are absolutely criminal.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

slicing up eyeballs posted:

That's such a sweet, very mom gesture :unsmith: I'm sorry for your loss and I hope you enjoy the build, it looks like a fun one.

I'm finally getting to my RG Mk II after seeing so many people sing it's praises. I'm enjoying that it actually has you build so much of the frame before applying armor, but these little wire and fabric tube elements are absolutely criminal.

Yeah, the worst part I suppose is that the immediate family birthdays are all like, october through january so he passed like right before his own and then it's just going to be a fun last quarter of the year with everyone's birthdays, thanks giving and christmas without him for the first time since they married and it's been rough on everyone, not to get too personal about family poo poo in the gundam toy thread or anything.

But now that I have a nu-gundam and the Nightengale, I feel like I'm cursed to get the Sazabi and hi-nu to round it out. And since those p-bandai kits for the RG Hi-nu look so cool (both the fin-funnels and giant bazooka) I kind of want that even though the p-bandai kits are probably going to be gone by the time I get my hands on it.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

started panel lining some kits tonight with the pour-style markers

consensus: the filling in of lines is very fun and relaxing but wiping away the excess with the eraser pen + microfiber cloth is kind of annoying. it's hard to get a balance between enough to actually remove the excess, and NOT remove the panel lines that are on edges/in big open spots

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Are you using a fill pen or a micro pen? The fill pen ones are a bit easier to clean, IMO.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Arc Hammer posted:

Are you using a fill pen or a micro pen? The fill pen ones are a bit easier to clean, IMO.

i am using the pen which came with the markers, dabbing it onto a microfiber cloth, and rubbing that on the marks. its really easy to use too much if using the pen directly, so i only use it in big problem areas.

e: this type

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Nuebot posted:

So as a thanks for helping her out with some financial and emotional poo poo since my father passed my mother decided to surprise me with a gift while we were out celebrating my father's birthday and saying our farewells and whatnot. So since she knows I'm into gunpla again she decided to make a surprise stop while we were on our way back.

Big epyon statue was neat, the pearl city donkey loves epyon, there are a bunch of cardboard cutouts of it and they have a bunch of epyons in the displays as well.

Anyway the novelty here is that while I was looking around at things she insisted on buying the biggest kit they had and handing it to me afterwards. Not like, the most expensive or anything. But the physically biggest one they had. So now I have this:

I looked at the price and felt bad.

Your mom rules.

Be glad they didn't have the Neo Zeong!

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Puddin posted:

Your mom rules.

Be glad they didn't have the Neo Zeong!

Yeah, that was my first thought after seeing the price, I think I'd genuinely just die if someone spent that much money on me. I'm looking forward to building this thing though, I expected it to be like the psycho gundam; just a small number of very large shell pieces - but it has more plastic sprues than my entire shelf put together I think.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Nuebot posted:

it has more plastic sprues than my entire shelf put together I think.

Of course it does, you throw the sprues away after you put them together! :dadjoke:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

But what if I need them later!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Midjack posted:

Of course it does, you throw the sprues away after you put them together! :dadjoke:

*melt them in Tamiya cement to make liquid plastic putty. :science: