Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JavaJesus
Jul 4, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

- I had Agnes' Arts casting with the Hollow Core that gives "more EP cost for more damage." Could probably substitute whoever you want to be your main caster. I had her doing at least around 15k.
- You want your Shard bonuses to align with whatever elemental Arts you're using the most for damage.
- You *really* want the Shard skill that follows up Arts attacks with an extra attack that Delays on your main caster. Not only is it a lot of extra damage, but it's also great for the combo multiplier.
I don't know if I've got a damage for EP exchange, but I do have damage for cast time with Cast quartz to offset it, a 50% chance for art crit, the art followup attack, the proper element boost, the proper element delay reduction, Agnes is absolutely built to hell and back. The only potential problem is that I went all-in on Jabberwock Arm, which is only now in this last fight hurting a bit on how much of the field the art covers. I might be able to retool her to a different element, but other than that she's a monster.

Ytlaya posted:

- Grendel does downright obscene damage with his S-Craft. I actually forgot to use it during the final fight like an idiot - would have been much easier if I did.
Hopefully this isn't some conditional thing and thus a spoiler for you, but I'm talking about the fight on the rooftop after the final dungeon, where I don't have access (as far as I can tell) to Grendel. On every other fight, Grendel (and Van himself to a slightly lesser degree) was handing out damage by the truckload.

Ultimately having had time to calm down and think about it, I think the main problem is the party-wide stat down attack. If I can prevent that or heal it faster/better than one person at a time, then everything else should be (knock on wood) fluff that I can handle as it comes up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Ys IX Chapter 5: So Raging Bull's backstory is that she's so far been too busy being an adult with a real job and a family to take care of to worry about any of the Monstrum BS unless forced to. I respect that.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

JavaJesus posted:

I don't know if I've got a damage for EP exchange, but I do have damage for cast time with Cast quartz to offset it, a 50% chance for art crit, the art followup attack, the proper element boost, the proper element delay reduction, Agnes is absolutely built to hell and back. The only potential problem is that I went all-in on Jabberwock Arm, which is only now in this last fight hurting a bit on how much of the field the art covers. I might be able to retool her to a different element, but other than that she's a monster.

There should be a Hollow Core with a Boost that increases Arts damage in exchange for costing more EP (similar to that Master Quartz from past games). There are also at least a couple special Quartz that significantly boost Arts damage (forget what they're called, but IIRC one does something like "higher Arts damage at high HP").

Also, a few other things, just in case:
- You're using Boost regularly, right? Checking just in case, since I didn't realize that you can keep it up on people most of the time until pretty late into the game (and it provides pretty giant stat boosts).
- Are you using the spell that gives everyone a 3000 HP shield? Or one of the Craft versions that do the same? I try to keep a shield up on people most of the time.
- Maybe try speccing for the Time Art, since IIRC it covers the entire field and is good for killing the adds. Probably my biggest complaint about the combat system is that it's often a pain to respec (since where you put your quartz actually matters in this game, as opposed to past games).

edit: Oh, one other long shot thing - Have you been remembering to get your prizes for fulfilling "achievements"? There are some powerful Quartz from that (plus lots of other items). I somehow didn't even notice this was a thing until like Chapter 4. I had been wondering what the random sound was, and apparently it was "completing achievements."

JavaJesus posted:

Hopefully this isn't some conditional thing and thus a spoiler for you, but I'm talking about the fight on the rooftop after the final dungeon, where I don't have access (as far as I can tell) to Grendel. On every other fight, Grendel (and Van himself to a slightly lesser degree) was handing out damage by the truckload.

Oh, sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but you're in phase 1 then (and sorry for inadvertently spoiling that - I assumed you were in the second phase since that's where I had the most trouble).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Oct 18, 2023

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

in act IV of Reverie, noticed those droplet things are stat boost potions.
haven't used one yet.
kind of crazy that Fie's KO S-craft can KO 'elite' mobs

GateOfD fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Oct 18, 2023

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

It's a tiny boost, and unnecessary. Just jack everyone's stats up with True Dazzling Uber Bestest Gems & lost arts.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Is there a special trick to winning the first battle on Nightmare with +100 enemy levels? NG+ doesn't save the SSS's loadouts :saddowns:

JavaJesus
Jul 4, 2007

And that's Daybreak finished! Overall I enjoyed the game a lot. As far as mechanics go, the new orbment system was real good once I started to really understand it and get enough quartz to play around with it, I enjoyed the option of on-field fighting (even if it did feel a little barebones and I never really like anybody's field attacks other than Van's), and I very much appreciated how far we've come from Sky in terms of clearly marking everything of interest and giving extremely clear indications of which actions would move the story along and kill all incomplete quests and such. Between this and Reverie I'm fully back on the Trails Train after the low point of CS4.

Regarding the final Daybreak boss, aggressive use of Plutus Nova was what won me the first phase of the fight, by nuking the main boss down while also clearing the field. He was so preoccupied with trying to banish my party members that I was able to get him down to the phase change threshold before he started fighting for real. Then the second phase gave me Van back, and between Grendel and having built Van to be an enemy hate target I was able to chew through the boss health fairly easily. I still don't think I like that boss in the end, but if one round of respeccing after seeing what it does was enough to get me a fairly easy win then I suppose I can't complain too much.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I can't help but feel that Tita and Vita not having any unique combat link dialogue was a missed opportunity

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Years later, I am still amazed that CS4 doesn't have an arrangement of The Decisive Collision. Baffling misfire, there

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Played CS1/2 on Vita, and 3/4 on Switch. Currently playing Reverie on Steam Deck and it's such a delight to finally experience a game in this series at a solid 60fps. High Speed Mode not experiencing any slowdowns is great too!

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Rean Reverie Act IV done.
that was certainly some developments
Edgy Space Rean sure is edgy. What happened to you up there?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GateOfD posted:

He was able to see that there were women in need of headpats... who did not get headpats. It broke him.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

GateOfD posted:

he glimpsed the future and realized that no matter how hard he trains, even as a Divine Blade, he'll always be a chump scrub again in the next game

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
I'm about 50 hours into Cold Steel IV now according to my Steam playtime counter and goddamn Rean's life has become an absolute minefield of dodging all these anime girls and their Feelings. It took me a bit and a reloaded save or two to notice the little heart icon and figure out which events to avoid. Sorry Fie but lol no way in hell.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Unfortunately, for completionists who want to fill out character profiles you’ll have to do some of those heart events

Otherwise yeah just dodge all the heart bonding events except for the one you actually want to pair up

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
So I was checking out the various post game Team Mission skits/end of battle quotes, and Arios mentions 'unsavory schools of swordsmanship from the East'. Is Shizuna part of that whole deal or is that something even Daybreak hasn't touched on?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Junpei posted:

So I was checking out the various post game Team Mission skits/end of battle quotes, and Arios mentions 'unsavory schools of swordsmanship from the East'. Is Shizuna part of that whole deal or is that something even Daybreak hasn't touched on?

Yes. Daybreak spoilers, obviously.

That style Arios mentioned and Shizuna is a practitioner of is called Black God One Blade and Eight Leaves One Blade split off from it, seemingly due to idealogical disagreements which led to Yun Ka-fai stepping down as leader of Ikaruga.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Arist posted:

Years later, I am still amazed that CS4 doesn't have an arrangement of The Decisive Collision. Baffling misfire, there

Uh, doesn't an arrangement of that song play during the big quadruple boss battle on top of a certain airship?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Completely forgot that, but also that's not even a new version. Feels weird, that's a really important track.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

Hwurmp posted:

he glimpsed the future and realized that no matter how hard he trains, even as a Divine Blade, he'll always be a chump scrub again in the next game

(end of Reverie post-game) Maybe he just saw the post-game story where some lady comes out of nowhere and breaks his sword. He got chumped in the next game in the same game.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

lloyd Act IV done
Good Randy and lloyd moments. T_T
I guess the theme for the SSS here is that somehow they thought they were the only hope Crossbell had? Or they thought they were heroes?
Idk, maybe? Is it wrong that they ended up being a symbol of hope?

Love when lloyd just stands there and gives his long winded speeches. Brainwashing is kind of a boring plot device, so not that big on the llya part of this story.
Also, can't believe they tease Wald so much and gave him so much screentime, and I still haven't been able to use him as a party member yet.

For the most part, the hyperbolic time chamber has been pretty minimal in impact so far, guess it can be part of a bigger picture, but it seems like an excuse to pad certain parts of the game. Cause if you just take it the story portions so far and not include the side/extra stuff. It does feel a bit short.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I cannot believe this poo poo lol I thought I was almost done with Cold Steel 2, im gonna sleep and do this tomorrow...

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

frajaq posted:

I cannot believe this poo poo lol I thought I was almost done with Cold Steel 2, im gonna sleep and do this tomorrow...

You’re almost at the for real credits, fwiw.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

its also basically just a 15 minute jog and then a boss fight and then another 10 minutes of cutscene, you can blitz through it in an hour.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Best segment in the series.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

frajaq posted:

Sell everything you can and buy the Mirrors

Trust me

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
The part from when To A Glimmering Tomorrow starts playing to the moment after the end credits when you see Crow’s ghost for a second when you go back to the title screen was pretty great but idk about best, the end of Chapter 3 up to the mid-point of Chapter 4 in Azure was really good for me too. Well, idk if good is the right word but it sure stuck with me.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Azure as a whole is just peak Trails

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Finished Cold Steel 2, pretty good stuff! I may have not paid attention to certain dialogue because I didnt understand why everyone else in class "graduated" I guess and Rean had to stay behind

from what I understand there's no Save File transfer to anything CS3 related?

I do think that overall I like the Crossbell crew more, but its certainly close!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

frajaq posted:

Finished Cold Steel 2, pretty good stuff! I may have not paid attention to certain dialogue because I didnt understand why everyone else in class "graduated" I guess and Rean had to stay behind

I do think that overall I like the Crossbell crew more, but its certainly close!

they have to graduate so that Rean can be all alone with his intrusive thoughts

and no, there's no 2-3 carryover, not even the handful of trinkets you usually get for 100%ing previous games

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

frajaq posted:

Rean is drafted into the army to protect people, everyone else can gently caress off home.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

frajaq posted:

Rean’s basically been conscripted into the Army and with Osborne coming out on top after the Civil War not even Prince Olivert can stand against him at the moment. But everyone else can graduate early and basically keep their heads down and get stronger so that in the near future they can stand against Osborne

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

frajaq posted:

iirc like half the class has poo poo to do (Jusis’s dad being incarcerated for being a shitbag means there’s no one to monitor his territory, Alisa wants to start learning how to manage the Reinford Company, and I think other stuff) and the other half also crammed their asses off to qualify for early graduation, but really:

Hwurmp posted:

[spoiler]they have to graduate so that Rean can be all alone with his intrusive thoughts

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

It’s also kind of a plot point

whatever self-worth development Rean has gone through in CS1 and 2 has backslide when Crow died and Osborne revealed that not only did he make Crow’s sacrifice all for nothing by surviving, but he’s also Rean’s biological father. So Rean has made it his new purpose to bear the burden of saving as many lives as possible from Osborne’s ambition and prevent anyone close to him from getting involved. So he’s actively encouraging the rest of Class 7 to graduate early and bearing that burden all by himself. And this will in no way have a negative effect on his own mental state, he can take it :shepface:

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
What are you talking about, Rean is a perfectly well-adjusted boy with no crippling personality defects or self-loathing martyrdom, he’ll be fiiiiine.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

IMO CS2 has the best ending of all the Trails games (even though I find the rest of the game unremarkable)

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

CS3 :unsmigghh:

or Sky 3rd

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

after 6 games, its nice that I'm not burdened with 10+ SSS or School Volunteer work every chapter in Reverie.

maybe its just because I recently played it back to back. But the SSS has a much more spread of memorable ost themes.

whenever Lloyd goes into speech mode and this plays, my heart tightens
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-EOQInQmN4

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Maybe hot take, but I think I like Arrival Existence as a boss theme more than Azure Arbitrator partly because the Zero theme plays partly through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I've had the Vita remakes of Trails in the Sky 1-3 sitting on my Vita for literally years, but I am finally committing to playing them.

Is there anything I should know/watch out for, having never played one of these games before?

All I know up front is: they are long, and someone told me that there's some weapon you need to collect magazines in every chapter to get.