Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

the_steve posted:

Other than Summoner and Warrior, I think that's mostly that we get an annoying sidekick, but we don't do much in the way of training them, it's more about us demonstrating that we are the best job class to ever job class and reaching that next level as a paragon of the class.

The brd and ast questlines both involve you with training new people full on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I think healer complaints are the most common of class complaints but that most people don't have class complaints in the first place so they seem more hated then they are. And I say this as a person who quit healing because I hated it.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

SMN is you and Y'shtola's sister rediscovering how Summoning works so that she can teach it to the Alliance soldiers.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Funky Valentine posted:

SMN is you and Y'shtola's sister rediscovering how Summoning works so that she can teach it to the Alliance soldiers.
i like that if youve done the smn quests there'll be very occasional mentions that you're best friends with y'shtola's sister too, unrelated to anything else going on, purely by coincidence.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
https://twitter.com/koireff14/status/1715829854774411676?s=46&t=0qhKpuhqD23AVJlrlc6GJA

I love all the pics today of the VAs with people cosplaying their character(s)

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Endorph posted:

i like that if youve done the smn quests there'll be very occasional mentions that you're best friends with y'shtola's sister too, unrelated to anything else going on, purely by coincidence.

Whaaaa I didn't know this!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

its only like a line per expac but it does come up. the biggest one is the scene where yshtola's sister actually does show up in msq, natch

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Consummate Professional posted:

All tank jobs should have a 1 use per instance rez

Phoenix Downs should work in combat but still be a consumable you can only carry one of

shas
Jul 27, 2011

remove all tank invulns

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The eternal war between healers ("one damage button is too boring") and dps ("let me press one button for my 3 part combo").

Meanwhile ocean fishing remains the job with the most complexity.

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much
Just make a new type of limited job called 'prestige' jobs that make playing the game arbitarily harder for those real gamers, for example for a prestige healer all of their heals are ogcd however you have to accurately type a random phrase in order to cast them as if you were playing Typing of the Dead otherwise they fizzle. That'll make things interesting

mikemil828 fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Oct 22, 2023

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

mikemil828 posted:

Just make a new type of limited job called 'prestige' jobs that make playing the game arbitary harder for those real gamers, for example for a prestige healer all of their heals are ogcd however you have to accurately type a random phrase in order to cast them as if you were playing Typing of the dead otherwise they fizzle. That'll make things interesting

Come to think of it, I wonder how much of the hatred of 'limited jobs' wouldn't exist if the title given to them didn't imply some form of inferiority.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
give healers a bit of complexity as a treat. you don't gotta balance the game around like, normal and alliance raids. those folks will be fine just doing whatever. give the real heads some toys baby

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Cleretic posted:

Come to think of it, I wonder how much of the hatred of 'limited jobs' wouldn't exist if the title given to them didn't imply some form of inferiority.

i think the hatred is entirely "i want to be a blue mage main in content as it comes out, and for it to play like other jobs"

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah its that. i dont care at all about the name i just like blue mage's aesthetics and am sad i cant play one in content that matters, especially as someone who played one in 11

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

This wasn't even min ilvl (but it was no echo) and we still nearly ran out of time. Must've been a brutal fight back in the day.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Endorph posted:

yeah its that. i dont care at all about the name i just like blue mage's aesthetics and am sad i cant play one in content that matters, especially as someone who played one in 11

you can play blue mage in content that matters. ilvl synced savage raids to earn the best mount in the game

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
i am forever glad that blue mage is a separate source of content and progression raiding and not just a job that i can do roulettes on until its capped out and then i forget about it

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Mr. Neutron posted:

This wasn't even min ilvl (but it was no echo) and we still nearly ran out of time. Must've been a brutal fight back in the day.

a lot of it was worse because 3.2, the patch that moved on from that tier, was the second major netcode fix for the game, so everyone progging it was doing so with satan's own server lag. tethers were much more finicky even when people stood perfectly still, you had to do a weird thing with baiting the prayer/fist hands because you didn't have enough time to react if you forced them into one configuration, digititis would never pass, orbs would never pop properly. some of the same mechanics are actually easier in their ultimate rendition in TEA, just because they actually behave as they were intended to (and as probably did behave on JP servers at the time).

also jobs just did way worse dps, with stricter timers, more punishing mechanics (you could get death-equivalent downtime/dps loss from dropping a buff improperly), and also the average player was a lot worse, and the average static had a lot less players to pick from because you had to all be on the same server.

if they did a pepsiman unreal, i think it would be manageable today, just a lot more struggle bus than unreal usually is. the job balance, netcode issues, and playerbase difficulties were all co-equal contributors to the actual fight mechanics in why that fight killed raiding as an activity for most of NA.

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Oct 22, 2023

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Also nothing makes you feel stronger than being able to one shot the old Extremes and Savages by doing a silly song and dance and then shoot a needle from your butt.

First thing that came to mind was the Gaga song and now I imagine Tural world bosses dropping Lady Gaga costume glamours.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I wanna vipe already

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Mr. Neutron posted:

Pepsiman was called a static breaker for a reason.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I have a problem.

I just bought $1500 of computer parts to basically rebuild my lovely 2021 prebuilt Lenovo. For one video game.

I. I need the hair highlights and light shining through the ears, ok?????

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Blockhouse posted:

I wanna vipe already

it’s called viper because you grow two dicks

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

hopeandjoy posted:

I have a problem.

I just bought $1500 of computer parts to basically rebuild my lovely 2021 prebuilt Lenovo. For one video game.

I. I need the hair highlights and light shining through the ears, ok?????

I mean, I spent around 2000€ getting a high end PC because my old one was already old and my 970 couldn't really handle the 1440p monitor I bought for work, mostly cause of the future graphics update they mentioned and I haven't regretted a thing. You can try and expand your library now- wait that's even more money....

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Mister Olympus posted:

i think the hatred is entirely "i want to be a blue mage main in content as it comes out, and for it to play like other jobs"

I understand the frustration but I think a lot of people don't realize that if it was a "real" job it would be drastically different and just blue mage in name only. You would not actually get abilities outside your preset ones from leveling up, and you would not be able to change roles or do anything. I vastly prefer a BLU that actually feels like a blue mage, instead of one that is just some DPS that happens to share the same name IMO.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

yeah it's precisely because BLU is a limited job that's an expansion behind that it can do things without fearing the dread spectre of homogenisation that haunts so many players.

loved that time during O12S prog when i perfected the timing of casting White Wind during defamation so that WW snapshots my max hp to apply as healing later, i take 90% of my hp in damage, and WW only then applies its healing to complete negate that damage, in the span of a quarter of a second. silly bullshit like that would never be legal if BLU was a normal job for normal people

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

The extended trailer is worse because the "take a bite" line of the song no longer syncs up with Graha eating the Taco.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Mainwaring posted:

The extended trailer is worse because the "take a bite" line of the song no longer syncs up with Graha eating the Taco.

The more expanded trailer Japan gets will be better because "take a bite" will line up with Zero eating nachos

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

iPodschun posted:

https://twitter.com/koireff14/status/1715829854774411676?s=46&t=0qhKpuhqD23AVJlrlc6GJA

I love all the pics today of the VAs with people cosplaying their character(s)

Luke Allen-Gale is a treasure.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

https://twitter.com/TaleraRis/status/1716023517978767578?t=Mr2i0tJiGm6GY8etrhF0SA&s=19

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Sorry double post but the Yokai event is coming back!!!!

The glowing Scooty Puff Jr is mine!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Sorry double post but the Yokai event is coming back!!!!

The glowing Scooty Puff Jr is mine!

Is this just a vague "sometime in the future" comment they made or are their hard dates given?

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

https://twitter.com/Unsun19/status/1716116318884114639?t=HZ-piyAWDDH57nRqEwYwLA&s=19

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Is this just a vague "sometime in the future" comment they made or are their hard dates given?

From the translation I read on Reddit, "preparations are underway". So...a 'please look forward to it' timeframe.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Dawntrail: Two swords, one WoL

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAHHFc-gIeI

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
lmao

Though, they should have done the gray checkerboard pattern like that Graveler mascot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Primals were very good goddamn