Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Pro-Palestinian protesters hold Belfast rally

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-67180423

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Octopodes are apparently antisemitic now.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Kieth's latest big idea:
Pebble dashed semis for all!

https://x.com/Keir_Starmer/status/1715638525679346094?s=20

https://x.com/HumanBollard/status/1715699487383925231?s=20

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

We can all live in a house made of cardboard, hooray

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
who doesn't love hearing keir starmer describe his semi

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Everyone knows real working class live mid-terrace gently caress off keith

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Spent all morning getting mud and rubble out of the culverts and drainage channels around all our houses because of the flood warning, but I'm not sure if any of that was down to any prior pebble dashing of any semis that flank my mid-jitty? :iiam:

Not going to be best pleased if he put a bunch of pebbles down one of those little culvert channels tho.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

History Comes Inside! posted:

Everyone knows real working class live mid-terrace gently caress off keith

Mid-terrace? Luxury. We used to live in a paperbag in a hole in the road.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
If his da was a toolmaker he should have made something to gouge the drain culverts with because it's very clear that nobody else has done it for over 60 years and a big flat screwdriver and a dustpan and brush was a better shot than anyone else had tried with.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Presumably “Pebbledash Semi” has been relentlessly focus grouped as a vote winner by Peter Mandelson during his extended thinking sessions on Nonce Island.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It sounds like a scatological sex act.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Octopodes are apparently antisemitic now.

They have always been semi-tick, it's troublesome to hear that they have changed.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

^^^ apparently only blue octopi not pink ones.

Next time they go on about Gordon Brown stealing all the poonds, seems like they're about to do the same thing

UK Treasury set for £100mn windfall from nationalised banks’ pension funds
Government took over Bradford & Bingley and Northern Rock during 2008 financial crisis

https://www.ft.com/content/958b42eb-f728-41d8-8bc1-a83fc5f0651b

non-paywall: https://archive.ph/pqAiH

quote:

The UK Treasury is in line for a windfall of more than £100mn as it takes control of the pension schemes of two banks bailed out by the taxpayer during the 2008 financial crisis.
Jeremy Hunt, the chancellor, is expected to use his Autumn Statement next month to confirm the bonus for taxpayers and what it would be used for, as the Treasury absorbs the Bradford & Bingley and Northern Rock pension schemes, which are in surplus.
While the combined net surplus of both schemes is about £400mn, this was estimated on an accounting basis and the surplus set to be passed to the Treasury is expected to be about £100mn, several people with knowledge of the matter said.
Allies of Hunt said the surplus would probably be used to service government debt, noting that it had been partly generated by the injection of millions of pounds of taxpayer cash into the schemes.
The money will make a tiny dent in the government’s debt. Public sector net debt was £2.6tn at the end of September with the interest payable that month at £700mn, according to the Office for National Statistics.

etc

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I assume it will all pay directly into public schemes with provable returns on investment like feeding children in schools, or sure start schemes, or at the very bare minimum preventing the evils of Sir Humphrey Davy's laughing gas menace by giving them free school milk to waylay any concerns about vitamin B12 deficiency.

No, just more funding for bollocks then?

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Guavanaut posted:

I assume it will all pay directly into public schemes with provable returns on investment like feeding children in schools, or sure start schemes, or at the very bare minimum preventing the evils of Sir Humphrey Davy's laughing gas menace by giving them free school milk to waylay any concerns about vitamin B12 deficiency.

No, just more funding for bollocks then?

Bollocks you say? It'll mean claims that tax cuts are now fully funded. Especially as they grow the economy.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Guavanaut posted:

Spent all morning getting mud and rubble out of the culverts and drainage channels around all our houses because of the flood warning, but I'm not sure if any of that was down to any prior pebble dashing of any semis that flank my mid-jitty? :iiam:

Not going to be best pleased if he put a bunch of pebbles down one of those little culvert channels tho.

Keith: Now let me blast my pebbles up your drainage channel.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

sinky posted:

Police are urgently investigating the tube driver who is pro existence-of-palistinians

quote:

The Met Police this week issued updated guidance around certain pro-Palestinian chants because of the strength of feeling they can evoke.

I looked this up (took ages to find because the bbc doesn't link to it, ffs)

https://news.met.police.uk/news/update-met-response-to-terror-attacks-in-israel-and-ongoing-military-action-in-gaza-474080

quote:

Anyone wearing, carrying or otherwise displaying symbols that are supportive of a proscribed organisation can be arrested.

The same is true for chanting or slogans.

There will be some slogans and chants that are obviously lawful or unlawful, but there will be others that are the subject of intense public debate where different groups interpret the language used in different ways.

It falls to the police to weigh up all these factors and to reach a clear position on how officers should be directed to respond, taking into account context, relevant legislation and the practicalities of operational policing.

One particular chant that has been the subject of extensive discussion is ‘Palestine will be free, from the river to the sea’. This is a chant that has been frequently heard at pro-Palestinian demonstrations for many years. We are well aware of the strength of feeling in relation to it.

While we can envisage scenarios where chanting these words could be unlawful, such as outside a synagogue or Jewish school, or directly at a Jewish person or group intended to intimidate, it is likely that its use in a wider protest setting, such as we anticipate this weekend, would not be an offence and would not result in arrests.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I see some on the right are taking great delight in this

https://twitter.com/ArchRose90/status/1715781241729876418?s=20

Apparently some pro Palestine supporters tore down a LGBT flag.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

bessantj posted:

the irony being neither side in the conflict is particularly good on lgbt issues, although one of them is actively killing both lgbt and non-lgbt people with glee

the sad thing is that lgbt rights are increasingly being seen abroad as a tool of empire, as a justification for western agression with the support of NGOs trying to colour revolution anyone who moves.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Has "pc" meaning % always been used? As in "24pc of people in a poll".

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Jippa posted:

It feels like a recent thing. Possibly inspired by phone posting, so you don't have to go looking for the '%' symbol and can muscle-memory your way through your hot-take

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Jippa posted:

Maybe whatever the person was using to write it with didn't have a % button on their gadget or know how to find it if they do? Also sometimes % doesn't render correctly or has alternative meanings when typed in text (as in how it is interpreted in html or a browser). That's how I always consider it anyway when I see it. Same when people use "deg" instead of the o symbol.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Message for [name redacted so as to cause no trouble to our new IK] of Rugby

If you want all this racism you left on your table in a service station yesterday can you please drop me a PM?

Thanks —! I know you came back looking for it but I was busy laying it out to take photos of in the disabled toilet!

Sanford fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Oct 22, 2023

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
It was actually a telegraph article on I/P I saw linked. I was thinking I had become a philistine for not reading broadsheets enough. Although the phone posting thing does make sense.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2023/10/22/hamas-winning-propaganda-war-israel/

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Well, Anne-Marie Trevelyan MP will be happy to know that she can report people singing "The Fields of Athenry" to the police.

Mesopotamia
Apr 12, 2010

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I still think it's Mordin' time.

Think she missed her chance - she’s also being named alongside Hunt for likely getting the boot.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Sanford posted:

If you want all this racism you left on your table in a service station yesterday can you please drop me a PM?

Thanks —! I know you came back looking for it but I was busy laying it out to take photos of in the disabled toilet!

I would have thrown it all in the bin, that first Black Sun symbol tells me everything i need to know. :colbert:

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Just Another Lurker posted:

I would have thrown it all in the bin, that first Black Sun symbol tells me everything i need to know. :colbert:

It went to the police mate. They probably know him. The black sun was a well-used graffiti template.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Sanford posted:

..They probably ARE him. ...

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

bessantj posted:

It's a very strange tactic this, I've seen it a few places posted as a gotcha. I don't get the "transactional support" mindset at all, a cause doesn't stop being valid if the people who's rights you're championing don't (all) respect yours back. Very "teams vs causes".

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
We all remember that heartwarming moment in Pride where some of the miners were homophobic and all the gay people decided none of them deserved rights after all and all marched back to london with the cash

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jel Shaker posted:

the sad thing is that lgbt rights are increasingly being seen abroad as a tool of empire, as a justification for western agression with the support of NGOs trying to colour revolution anyone who moves.
It's bizarre because heteropatriarchy and the gender binary are much easier to do aggression and empire with if someone wanted to do those things.

"No more asylum seekers! Also the government was very unfair to foreign military aged male Rudolf Hess when he landed here in a plane with no clearance."

grobbo
May 29, 2014

Isomermaid posted:

It's a very strange tactic this, I've seen it a few places posted as a gotcha. I don't get the "transactional support" mindset at all, a cause doesn't stop being valid if the people who's rights you're championing don't (all) respect yours back. Very "teams vs causes".

Ever since the post-9-11 fast-tracking of Islamophobia in the UK really kicked off, the Great Replacement types have tended to characterise their ideological enemies as a two-tier opposition of 1) naive, wet-wipe lefties standing up for 2) murderous foreign barbarians who are just waiting for their chance to oppress and kill their own allies once they seize power.

It's not really driven by logic on the level you suggest, IMO. It's about spite and schadenfreude; the contemptuous expectation that anyone LGBTQ+ protesting in support of Muslims is going to get their just desserts for their ingratitude against the Great British society that's just about come around to begrudgingly tolerating them. (That'll show 'em!!)

In my experience it's sadly quite an effective tactic, because it lets them dismiss any opposing views out of hand: you may think you're standing up for human rights in a complex situation, but your arguments are irrelevant, because you're actually a useful idiot giving cover to the irrational fanatic hordes, the rise of Sharia law, etc, etc.

grobbo fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Oct 22, 2023

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
It's not like Hess was executed, he lived into his 90s and hung himself. Better than many under his government got.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Men are hanged, meat is hung. So yes hung.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

keep punching joe posted:

he lived into his 90s and hung himself

You can't fire me, I quit!!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Sanford posted:

Man, it sucks that the black sun is Nazi imagery because it really does look quite cool. Geometrically quite satisfying.

Admittedly in the list of reasons to hate Nazi scum this is quite low down.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
How can these people claim to be standing up for Britain when they're specifically stanning the people Britain fought against

The contradiction is the point you say?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

The main chat in my friend group is “loving nazis stole all the cool symbols.” That and “who exactly is coming out to bat for Rudolph Hess of all people in this day and age?”