Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
I visited a Japanese sub on my visit over there, and at the time I kind of thought all their brilliant organization was try hard, but maybe in retrospect they had a more robust maintenance, mentoring, and training programs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

DancingShade posted:

I'm the senator who owns the one floppy disk factory still in operation that survives solely off defence contracts.

"Yeah we can't use more modern technology in our critical systems. Only proven, robust. We're going back to tape reels soon."

microsoft still backs tons of stuff up on tape

I'm pretty sure a lot of big companies still do bc it's stable

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

ProfessorBooty posted:

I visited a Japanese sub on my visit over there, and at the time I kind of thought all their brilliant organization was try hard, but maybe in retrospect they had a more robust maintenance, mentoring, and training programs.

Those grapes are probably sour anyway.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I love how every time people are like 'yeah, in general it's all rotten and hollowed out, but you can bet this particular strategically crucial thing is still looked after properly cause it would be crazy not to' someone steams in with firsthand knowledge that no, that thing is in fact also hosed

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

when i first discovered the r key in popular video games, it was indeed a game changer

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

FirstnameLastname posted:

microsoft still backs tons of stuff up on tape

I'm pretty sure a lot of big companies still do bc it's stable

everyone uses tape for backups because it's cheap, reliable, effectively infinitely overwritable, and doesn't literally rot from inside out like optical media

Pomeroy
Apr 20, 2020

Votskomit posted:

https://www.thebignewsletter.com/p/why-america-is-out-of-ammunition

More interesting explanations and links to more stories inside.

At our version of the Nuremburg trials, I want Ratt Stoller called to the dock, mocked for his total impotence to actually do anything to strengthen the Nazi empire he loves, but then reassured that he'll still get to go along to the scaffold with the senators, generals, and media magnates, we'll give him credit for effort.

Pomeroy has issued a correction as of 04:41 on Oct 23, 2023

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

ProfessorBooty posted:

I was really proud of what I did though, and my friend and I just wanted our submarine to be happy :(

divested of the evils of empire and the suffering they exist to perpetuate the idea of essentially maintaining a town/city on (or under!) the loving ocean is cool as hell so i can understand this

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

atelier morgan posted:

divested of the evils of empire and the suffering they exist to perpetuate the idea of essentially maintaining a town/city on (or under!) the loving ocean is cool as hell so i can understand this

yeah same imagine what we could do with all this cool poo poo we’ve built if we didn’t have a parasitic class syphoning off all the value and burning it all in useless wars when then grotesque inequality grew too obvious to hide

Griz
May 21, 2001

Truga posted:

everyone uses tape for backups because it's cheap, reliable, effectively infinitely overwritable, and doesn't literally rot from inside out like optical media

and you can ship copies off to iron mountain for secure offsite storage

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Danann posted:

https://twitter.com/mercoglianos/status/1715701194461479036

selling off all these unneeded logistics ships because the end of history is upon us lmao

Not tending to warships because...?

Does the US still have submarine tenders and other depot ships?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

ProfessorBooty posted:

What if the culture of maintaining gun tubes and hydropnumatics, but also everyone has to live in the tube surrounded by 50 atmospheres of pressure?

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

ProfessorBooty posted:

Right - - Like any sort of specialized bureaucratic insanity this is going to be difficult to condense but I'll try my best. By the way, the SSN-22 is a very special submarine. The nature of the seawolf platform means that suffering amongst the new guys is guaranteed. People typically don't re-up (particularly the nukes), and more senior enlisted come from the 688 class, so the nature of how everything works is completely different. There's 8 torpedo tubes instead of 4 which is twice the maintenance, sure, but SUBSAFE requires paperwork and folks with specialized training to ensure correct assembly of parts. I was a QAI for the nuke MM department, but there were times I would have to help the torpedo division with QA.

I'm not sure if they changed specifically how maintenance worked, but my guess is the general workflow is the same:

Two types of maintenance, corrective (poo poo broke) and preventative; things that have to be done daily, weekly, monthly, every five years, you name it.

Preventative maintenance has it's own systems, there is a system for primary (nuclear/reactor) maintenance, and secondary (Steam, lube oil, air conditioners, potable water, seawater cooling, to name a few). I didn't work with the preventative maintenance systems, I only understood them from a logistical standpoint - o-rings and poo poo. (I DID turn wrenches and did QA on every single maintenance item in the engine room, primary and secondary).

For every single maintenance job, there is a question of whether parts are required, and there is a separate system that tracks all maintenance requiring parts. If a shaft seal for a pump quits, generally the workflow would go:

"Oh poo poo it quit" ->

Inform Maneuvering (Reactor control room, lead by the Engineering Officer of the Watch (EOOW)), and inform the Engineering Watch Supervisor (EWS) and Engine Room Supervisor (ERS). Usually if it's no poo poo broke then there's some kind of backup and you just use the backup. ->

The Ship's Engineer is informed and if the nature of the problem means it cannot be fixed in the next couple of days, they might make a standing order that gives procedures on how to operate the system in a diminished state (These standing orders will sometimes last for years, there were temporary standing orders that lived longer than my time on the vessel and might still have been in effect). ->

You wake up ProfessorBooty and he's the SNOB so he's kind of annoyed but is also a work obsessed psycho so can't help but to determine the nature of the problem as soon as possible. Also you wake up the chief because of course no problem can't have too many ignorant morons->

A 'job' is opened up in the logistics system I mentioned before. It's like any ticketing system really (It can also be used to request for outside assistance with work, like from a shipyard or a tender). The system is also used to find all the parts required to fix any device on board, and the system will helpfully tell you if the replacement part is stored on board. The shaft seal for the pump might just be in one of the supply department lockers. The system will helpfully tell us that and we can come up with a maintenance plan immediately ->

Now we have to split into the land of 'what's required', and the land of 'What kind of insane imagined bullshit is the command going to put upon us'. And this is where my poorly directed rant came from.

What's required:

Suppose this is a small pump, the shaft seal can be procured onboard, and the sailors are capable of doing it themselves. They come up with a Tag out plan and provide it to the EOOW, they brief the EOOW on the maintenance. The EOOW informs the Engineer and the Engineer informs the Captain. If the captain has any concerns then usually you have an experienced, wise chief who can help the captain at ease, because they've done these shaft seals before on their last boat, which was definitely the same platform. If in port, depending on the shipyard rules, they might have to use a 'Work Authorization Form' (WAF) to formalize proceeding with the work.

What kind of insane imagined bullshit is the command going to put upon us:

The EOOW informs the Engineer who informs the captain. The division chief is woken up, the parts guy is woken up, the division officer is woken up, the MM1 is woken up, Every single moron in the universe crowds the problem like they're looking at Hank Hill's ford.

Of course nobody knows the SUBSAFE requirements, so just in case, they treat anything that has seawater in it like it is SUBSAFE.

ProfessorBooty tries to do method one, determines the parts required, puts in a job and orders the parts, while someone does a Tag Out.

The 'standard' though is that we proceed as if this whole thing is a SUBSAFE system. So ProfessorBooty goes ahead and writes a procedure that meet all of the requirements. It's not a subsafe system, so there are no subsafe parts to track ('software', such as o-rings and shaft seals, are tracked less stringently than 'hardware', such as a valve body, pump body, or a valve shaft). So ProfessorBooty writes the procedure to the level of the maintenance person:

'Using Reference (1) as a guide, repair and replace the pump-01 shaft seal'.

That gets kicked back, the engineer wants me to effectively transcribe the loving book into a procedure, despite the fact that the maintenance workers drat well better have a loving book to begin with. Also he wants me to track the shaft seal as if it is SUBSAFE, which in my opinion is a huge no-no but I guess nobody in SUBSAFE cares if people show a fundamental misunderstanding on what SUBSAFE even is.

Regardless after the very intentionally made convoluted telephone game of masses of senior idiots who want to feel like they're actually good at what they do, the pump finally gets fixed, and it was so stressful that I'm REALLY not interested in experiencing THAT again.

Because the -22 was one of three boats, and the most evil submarine got top priority (USS Jimmy Carter), generally we would have equipment that was just permanently broken. We had a new command, and his style was insanely draconian. I guess he could have been an alright guy, but the fact that he had to get his nose in everything was loving frustrating. The most simple of errors happen and he acts like it is the end of the world. At one point, he wanted to be briefed on literally EVERY SINGLE maintenance item, including ones that we technically didn't need permission for, such as lubricating the lathe.

Not only this, but he must have had some kind of Silicon Valley business psycho degree because every single week he would review the number of jobs each division would have in the logistics systems and ask why the ones that have been in there for the longest are still there (THE PART WE NEED DOESN'T EXIST gently caress).

In my time there, we would frequently have days where we would all come in, sit around literally all day while our chief and division officer brief the captain on what we're doing that day, and then when 7 PM rolls around, you know, when the captain finally loving leaves, we finally start work for the day (No, we are not doing a good job, and if this is a preventative maintenance item, we might pull a 'let's not and say we did').

Eventually weekly, monthly, and some quarterly preventive maintenance items simply wouldn't be done. As a matter of fact, there were some seawater strainers that we would not do, and when the strainer pressure differential was too high, the watchstanders would proceed to correct it without informing the maneuvering room. This involves taking a heavy rear end three inch cap off of a strainer, I got so good at it I could do it in less than five minutes.

There were weekly maintenance items I never actually learned to do. The turbine electric generators didn't have a system to keep the shaft turning like the main engines did, so to prevent the shaft from warping from staying in one place, you are supposed to turn on the lube oil pumps, put some crank on the end of the shaft, and then give it a little turn. Turning on and lubing up the lube oil system is enough of a PITA /without/ informing everyone in the whole universe. I think something like that can be coordinated between an E-4 and the Shutdown Reactor Operator (SRO, who is just an enlisted guy who watches to make sure the reactor stays within it's shutdown parameters (such as the temperature)). If I was an ORSE (Operational Reactor Safeguards Examination) inspector, I would personally look at those weekly maintenance items and ask the guys who have been there for less than a year how to do them, and have them pantomime the maintenance, and ask them specific questions like, 'Is it easy to turn? Hard to turn?'

With time, we realized that though the captain PERSONALLY reviewed our maintenance logs, he never questioned the fact that all these things were signed off as done without him being briefed. The paper looks good, so that's good. Isn't that kind of what the liberal mind is? Things don't need to be done right, they need to be documented right?

So with that in mind, imagine having to actual no poo poo SUBSAFE or level 1 ('level 1' is for systems that can cause catastrophic harm, but aren't specifically for the integrity of the hull/sea water systems. A 'level 1' system would be like a steam system) work. Like replacing the packing gland on a seawater valve, or having to cut a seat and replace the disc on a steam valve.

Well, we're not replacing hardware, so it doesn't have to be tracked by SUBSAFE. We put in the job but the captain is demanding the job list get shorter. What happens is my buddy and I who are always on duty together get back to the engine room at 11 AM and take apart those valves, cut them, replace the disc, repack them, verify they turn smoothly, and nobody is the wiser. Don't even need a tagout.

When the list is shorter, the captain doesn't ask why.

:)

Edit to note: I loved my submarine. I wish I wasn't so socially awkward at the time, but the general culture was really good. When you're a submariner, people treat you different - I had a surface chief stop me on the parking lot for my boots or something, and I just turn around at look at him, and when he sees my fish he realizes i don't give a poo poo about his smarmy surface rear end.

But the command was awful, and there was so much friction just to do the basics, and we were always just there, staying late and miserable. i spent so much time just sitting in the smoke pit waiting until I could actually work.

I was really proud of what I did though, and my friend and I just wanted our submarine to be happy :(

o7

thank you for your post

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Frosted Flake posted:

Not tending to warships because...?

Does the US still have submarine tenders and other depot ships?

https://www.navalnews.com/naval-news/2022/12/us-navy-comments-on-new-asx-submarine-tenders/

quote:

navalnews.com
US Navy Comments on New AS(X) Submarine Tenders - Naval News
Peter Ong
6–7 minutes

A third ship in the Emory S. Land-class of submarine tenders is already decommissioned: The former USS McKee (AS-41) was struck from the Naval Register on 25 April 2006. The hull is now moored at Norfolk Naval Shipyard in Virginia and serves as a floating workshop.

According to the U.S. Navy’s Chief of Information (CHINFO) department, the USS Emory S. Land and USS Frank Cable submarine tenders are slated to retire in 2029 and 2030 respectfully.

The new submarine tender AS(X) program is one of the key future shipbuilding projects within the U.S. Navy’s Naval Sea Systems Command (NAVSEA).

Mr. Tom Rivers, Executive Director, Amphibious, Auxiliary, and Sealift Ships, Program Executive Office (PEO) Ships said at Surface Navy Associations (SNA) 2022 in mid-January, “The [AS(X)] mission is to conduct forward-based tending, resupply, and intermediate level repair operations on assigned submarines while at anchor or at port with a Request for Proposal for industry design studies. I’m not going to say much more about that program at this point in time.”

In mid-2022, NAVSEA confirmed that they were indeed working on the new next-generation AS(X) submarine tenders. NAVSEA awarded contracts on April 4, 2022 to three companies, L3Harris, General Dynamics National Steel and Shipbuilding Company (NASSCO), and Huntington Ingalls Industries (HII), for concepts and preliminary designs on the new AS(X) sub tenders.

NAVSEA issued a statement to Naval News in November 2022 regarding the new sub tenders. “AS(X), the next-generation submarine-tender, will support current and future submarine classes and directly contribute to force readiness by enhancing submarine material readiness. These ships will provide repair/maintenance services and replenish supplies, provisions, and weapons for submarines across the Navy’s areas of operations and theaters.“

“The Navy currently intends to build two submarine-tenders. They will be designed to have an expected service life of 40 years. The ship’s primary submarine tending mission will remain the same; however, the Navy will incorporate fact-of-life improvements to shipboard systems.”

Naval Sea Systems Command, Office of Corporate Communications

To understand the AS(X)s’ requirement task of replacing the current 40+ year old in-service sub tenders, AS 39 and AS 40, both stationed at Guam in the Pacific, Naval News readers need to understand what the current sub tenders do besides providing expeditionary maintenance and repairs for U.S. Navy nuclear-powered submarines. A breakdown of the current submarine tenders’ 26 repair shops and 16 departments can be found in this Naval News story and are listed below.

The U.S. Navy said, “The 16 departments [in the AS 39 and AS 40 sub tenders] are as follows with U.S. Navy (USN) and Military Sealift Command (MSC) crews”:

1. Deck (MSC)
2. Engine (MSC)
3. Weapons Repair (USN)
4. Repair (USN)
5. Executive (USN)
6. Operations (USN)
7. USN Supply (USN)
8. MSC Supply (MSC)
9. Communications (MSC)
10. USN Health Services (USN)
11. MSC Health Services (MSC)
12. Training (USN)
13. Legal (USN)
14. Chaplain (USN)
15. Safety (USN)
16. Purser (MSC)

Although unstated by NAVSEA, one can assume that the two AS(X)s will share the same tending functions as the current sub tenders in terms of repairs and department services; however, submarine technology advances and matures, perhaps requiring more departments to fulfill future requirements. Naval News asked NAVSEA if this is true in late November 2022 and the question was not answered.

Naval News reached out to L3Harris and NASSCO for comment in late November 2022. NASSCO answered but both shipbuilders did not return comments.

Naval News also reached out to U.S. Navy’s Chief Office of Information (CHINFO) in late November 2022 and received a reply on 2 December 2022.

“At this time, details on AS(X) are pre-decisional and no further information is available.”

U.S. Navy CHINFO

Thus, it remains uncertain and unclear if the two newly designed AS(X) sub tenders will have about the same ship size, functions, rooms, departments, repair shops, facilities, number of decks, performance specifications, armament, and general layout as the two submarine tenders currently in service. Factoring in the U.S. Navy’s SSN(X) next-generation nuclear-powered attack submarine, unmanned underwater vehicles (UUVs), and the upcoming Columbia-class SSBNs, one can only speculate if the AS(X)s’ requirements and functionalities will be the same despite what NAVSEA said above.

What defines and shapes a “next-generation submarine tender” as submarines, underwater drones, and weapons get more advanced, costly, and complex? As VADM William Galinis of NAVSEA said, the AS(X) ship design is “relatively easy to come through” if it is a commercial design; it’s what goes inside the AS(X)s that might get complicated.
Norfolk Naval Station
View of Norfolk Naval Shipyard in April 2022. Note former submarine tender USS McKee (AS-41), right, and a Nimitz-class carrier, left. Naval News picture.

Given that the two currently serving sub tenders will be retired at the end of this decade, there still remains time before a final detailed AS(X) design completion is submitted.

Stay tuned to Naval News for more updates as the two new AS(X)s progress.

the last two submarine tenders might be gone and become living lostech lol

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Griz posted:

and you can ship copies off to iron mountain for secure offsite storage

Is that the bureaucratic equivalent of sending your records to a farm upstate?

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Danann posted:

https://www.navalnews.com/naval-news/2022/12/us-navy-comments-on-new-asx-submarine-tenders/

the last two submarine tenders might be gone and become living lostech lol

lol when america tries to kill the world they'll fire the slbms and a bunch of waterlogged pornos will float up out of the tubes like moths from a cartoon hobo's wallet

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
America's Navy can't get its tendies.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Keep thinking about the late Soviet union

And then thinking about that collapse guy talking about how the former Soviet union coped comparatively ok with collapse because of the massive institutional inertia, infrastructure and huge bureaucracy

And then thinking about the monomaniacal drive to destroy institutional knowledge, bureaucracy and infrastructure/maintenance spending in the west

And then having a good lol

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

ProfessorBooty posted:

toxic work culture

This reminds me of all those telegram posts about units in russian army having to keep work logs of which work logs are being kept.

animist
Aug 28, 2018

Slavvy posted:

Keep thinking about the late Soviet union

And then thinking about that collapse guy talking about how the former Soviet union coped comparatively ok with collapse because of the massive institutional inertia, infrastructure and huge bureaucracy

And then thinking about the monomaniacal drive to destroy institutional knowledge, bureaucracy and infrastructure/maintenance spending in the west

And then having a good lol

when I first started reading communist poo poo a while ago I was thinking, I'm not sure revolutions make sense in high-tech first world countries. There's a lot of moving parts and maintenance that you'd have to pick up immediately. Don't you need all the institutional knowledge that's been built up?

lol, lmao

animist has issued a correction as of 01:23 on Oct 23, 2023

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

animist posted:

when I first started reading communist bullshit a while ago I was thinking, I'm not sure revolutions make sense in high-tech first world countries. There's a lot of moving parts and maintenance that you'd have to pick up immediately. Don't you need all the institutional knowledge that's been built up?

lol, lmao

Learn to sew and garden I guess.

Fun fact, the awful captain that replaced my first captain got kicked off the sub for inappropriate control of classified material. Every time I look back at that ship it's something else. My division chief 'went sad', at the same time the ship engineer 'went sad'.

The means are there for something great. I was told by other submariners that in the past they would generally get done early, and take off at noon, generally encouraged to chill out. I think with a class like the 688 that kind of thing is possible. My guess is the 688 and Ohio classes are undergoing something similar, but slower, when it comes to rot, due to more available parts and more institutional knowledge.

I got out in 2011, so it's been more then a decade from my experience.

edit: Wonder how many bottles of booze fell out of the outboard when they ran aground. There were all sorts of little nests you could mouse your way into if you could contort and squeeze right, found my fair share of rum when exploring. I followed the rules - I just didn't really give a poo poo about my uniform looking perfect.

edit2: my little bro finished a deployment in Syria - I'm so thankful he left around August, and he's going to be completely out in November. A lot of the solders he worked with were anti-zionist and he told me about how he learned so much about the region while being there. He's buying a couple acres in Montana and is going to try out homesteading.

ProfessorBooty has issued a correction as of 01:43 on Oct 23, 2023

LuxuryLarva
Sep 8, 2023

Hot dude with a cool attitude.
I just finished watching the first rambo movie - first blood. Anyway I was refreshingly surprised to discover a meditation on the brutal way police treat homeless people. I'm sure that the sequels won't disappoint me in some way!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

First blood rules, it's got veterans being treated like poo poo, pigs treating people like poo poo, being a war hero meaning nothing in comparison to a cop badge, just a great movie in general

LuxuryLarva
Sep 8, 2023

Hot dude with a cool attitude.
Chris Dorner.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

LuxuryLarva posted:

Chris Dorner.

That's right, we have one strong institution.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

LuxuryLarva posted:

Chris Dorner.

It's not surprising Hollywood would travel back in time to preemptively whitewash the great martyr's story

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/inarthurscourt/status/1716272225421062533

through the power of neoliberalism, tanks in texas counts as tanks in germany

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

Danann posted:

Well, yeah. All you have to do is click the Texas tanks, right click on Germany, select Move To, wait a few days, and they're there, right?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Danann posted:

That twitter user is just tremendously confused. Or maybe he's just being misleading on purpose. What he is posting is not in the article at all and is incorrect.

There is an argument to just station an armored brigade in Germany rather than constantly rotating new armored brigades forward and relieving one another. But there's all kinds of boring stationing and family considerations with moving a brigade forward, plus families, and then days off, etc, that they don't have when they're forward on a "rotation" where the understanding is that their work schedule is like a deployment.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

LuxuryLarva posted:

I just finished watching the first rambo movie - first blood. Anyway I was refreshingly surprised to discover a meditation on the brutal way police treat homeless people. I'm sure that the sequels won't disappoint me in some way!

Rambo 2 is up there with biggest thematic and tonal shift in a sequel compared to the original for sure.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Orange Devil posted:

Rambo 2 is up there with biggest thematic and tonal shift in a sequel compared to the original for sure.
Sicario 2 seemed to hit a similar shift.

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

Remulak posted:

Sicario 2 seemed to hit a similar shift.

Well yeah, the first one was written by people who thought cold blooded child murder was bad. The American public knows that child murder rules if it's being done by operators to mini-tangos, that's why Benicio gets to be the main hero now.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Danann posted:

:psyduck:

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The preceding post is good for context too

https://twitter.com/inarthurscourt/status/1716270599259951391

a literal paper tiger, well, I guess liberalism is the belief in the paper tiger.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
The guy is either just really uninformed or lying, but people who want to believe will bite on the story hard. It’s the kind of falsehood that takes no special skills to disprove.

The US rotates full armored brigade combat teams through Europe on back to back, regular rotations.

So there is not an ABCT that is stationed inside Germany with families, houses, etc, but there is always an ABCT (minimum 1) deployed to Europe on a deployment work schedule, without their families. So on regular rotations the US ships back and forth over 4,000 troops and 2,700 pieces of equipment, which does get scrutinized as wondering if that’s a waste.

presently IIRC, there are more than that due to the ongoing situation in Europe, because there is the regularly recurring ABCT plus another ABCT that manned the pre-positioned ABCT equipment which resides in Europe fulltime.

https://www.army.mil/article/270028/army_announces_upcoming_unit_deployments_in_support_of_european_allies_and_partners

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

mlmp08 posted:

The guy is either just really uninformed or lying, but people who want to believe will bite on the story hard. It’s the kind of falsehood that takes no special skills to disprove.

The US rotates full armored brigade combat teams through Europe on back to back, regular rotations.

So there is not an ABCT that is stationed inside Germany with families, houses, etc, but there is always an ABCT (minimum 1) deployed to Europe on a deployment work schedule, without their families. So on regular rotations the US ships back and forth over 4,000 troops and 2,700 pieces of equipment, which does get scrutinized as wondering if that’s a waste.

presently IIRC, there are more than that due to the ongoing situation in Europe, because there is the regularly recurring ABCT plus another ABCT that manned the pre-positioned ABCT equipment which resides in Europe fulltime.

https://www.army.mil/article/270028/army_announces_upcoming_unit_deployments_in_support_of_european_allies_and_partners

did you mean to link to something else because both of those units that are going to europe are light infantry

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

500excf type r posted:

did you mean to link to something else because both of those units that are going to europe are light infantry

I did mean to link something else.

https://www.armytimes.com/news/your-army/2022/11/10/army-announces-next-three-brigades-deploying-to-europe/

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtyDj7EsqSM

Can you do this with anything modern and western?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Orange Devil posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtyDj7EsqSM

Can you do this with anything modern and western?

A Mercedes-Benz G-Class, surely?

Just like you can surely do this with a 777.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhdcnQZf3fo&t=146s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

a jeep with no suspension assembled with hand turned bolts seems like the shakiest piece of poo poo imaginable. it would rattle your skull for 5 miles and then fall to pieces