Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022

Owlbear Camus posted:

this reminds me of the time a 7th grade English teacher sub went on a completely unpromped off topic zionist rant about how great Israel was. did you know an Israeli Air Force pilot once landed an f15 with a whole wing blown off? they can beat anyone in a war even America.

even at age 12 it was the weirdest poo poo

I've always wondered why soft-handed soft-brained Americans really like Israel without even being Jewish or religious. It's because America, with its mythology built on frontier expansionism and genocide, has run out of frontier to expand into. Israel still can, it still has the vital energy lost in America, you too can become a settler brimming with masculine energy and go into someone's house and just loving take it, backed by superior military technology.

I mean look at this fat turd who wrote Fable:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

lol

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

FuzzySlippers posted:

It's funny how much our victory in Iraq is overestimated because like WW2 we had someone doing most of the fighting for us: Iran. The scale of the Iran Iraq war was huge and before any deserts were stormed Iraq had been devastated. It's completely absurd to crow about a victory over Iraq later after ten years of sanctions had reduced it to ashes.

I think basically the only war of any note America has won on its own is the Spanish American war. Truly a proud military legacy.

tbf, America has previously and continues to kick rear end in the absolute middle of the Pacific. Nimitz is totally underrated. If some country wanted to meet us way out in the ocean hundreds of miles from any land resources America would crush them. Somehow I don't think Iran, NK, Russia, etc are going to be as accommodating as the Japanese on that point though.

China and Russia will control the Eurasian heartland, the pivot of history, and the United States of America will be relegated to the dustbin of history

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I am realizing now that for over 20 years, most of my life, I knew almost absolutely nothing about Osama bin Laden's background or worldview

That was pretty intentional on the part of the media. They refused to engage with his actual stated reasons for 9/11 and just painted him as a psychopath who's jealous of Americas freedom.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

43rd goon brigade reporting for duty sir!

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I am realizing now that for over 20 years, most of my life, I knew almost absolutely nothing about Osama bin Laden's background or worldview

wait'll you read The Little Green Book (Except For Those Couple Kinda Gross Sections)

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
i think people shouldnt underestimate the american military yes theyve lost every occupation war theyve fought but in a focused battle they are extremely powerful and good at waging wars with clear short term objectives.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Al-Saqr posted:

i think people shouldnt underestimate the american military yes theyve lost every occupation war theyve fought but in a focused battle they are extremely powerful and good at waging wars with clear short term objectives.

The US is very good at shock and awe campaigns there is identifiable infrastructure and equipment that can be hit in a pretty predictable manner, the longer the war goes on or if their opponent compensates for that, it gets a lot more tricky.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

yea they’re extremely good at physically destroying complete societies and creating a space for sectarianism to take hold and monster the region for decades, the whole building up a strong democratic government is just a salve for the liberals at home

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Were gonna do some good old american nation building

You there, rapist warlord sitting on a throne of your countrymens skulls, you seem like a good guy to lead the country into a new democratic age.

Just keep the oil flowing and the mines running, yeah?

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

lol

https://twitter.com/Angelo4justice3/status/1716002722825293841

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

wait until this guy learns about the hannibal directive

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress you president, they're not 'upposed to fight back :mad:

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, I wonder if Israel is ready for the full slava this may take to get what they want.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

lol

lmao

PhilippAchtel has issued a correction as of 11:36 on Oct 22, 2023

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

This is that same guy struggling under the weight of a single artillery shell if I recall.

I can only assume he hasn't done any exercise since his conscript time a decade or two ago. (squinting) tactical gear that looks brand new and unscuffed is never a good sign either.

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!

That is the most badd rear end thing i have ever seen and i wish i had a fraction of the bravery those guys have, facing down and supressing a squad of fully tooled up invaders with nothing but soft cover and pointy rocks.

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006

FuzzySlippers posted:

It's funny how much our victory in Iraq is overestimated because like WW2 we had someone doing most of the fighting for us: Iran. The scale of the Iran Iraq war was huge and before any deserts were stormed Iraq had been devastated. It's completely absurd to crow about a victory over Iraq later after ten years of sanctions had reduced it to ashes.

I think basically the only war of any note America has won on its own is the Spanish American war. Truly a proud military legacy.

tbf, America has previously and continues to kick rear end in the absolute middle of the Pacific. Nimitz is totally underrated. If some country wanted to meet us way out in the ocean hundreds of miles from any land resources America would crush them. Somehow I don't think Iran, NK, Russia, etc are going to be as accommodating as the Japanese on that point though.

Every time someone mentions the Gulf War to me as an example of why the American military is undefeatable I make a point to tell them about the Iran Iraq war. Most people don't even know it happened much less what the scale of it was, and this includes the typical milheads who pride themselves on their understanding of history. This is also generally where the conversation tends to end and they tune out. Even when I talk to other (non Marxist) leftists about this they generally just make dismissals about secret stealth aircraft and nukes while maintaining that American firepower will solve any conventional warfare problems and only a change in our government can prevent us from dominating the world with force.

The American perception of our military is completely blinded by propaganda and nothing-ever-change's-ism. I don't know how the war in Ukraine might have changed peoples perception on this because lol I just do not talk about this stuff with people IRL anymore but I imagine with all the NAFO types and the endless youtube recommendations I get that are essentially western military propaganda I can't imagine its changed much. The US is going to maintain it's perception of invincibility as long as it continues to never commit to a large military operation again, but I think the raw economic and social cost of capitulation to American foreign policy and miliary aggression is starting to put our list of regional enemies in a situation where mutual resistance is their only viable path for survival. Nobody can really afford to let another large scale American bombing campaign devastate their neighbors anymore because the spillover in refuges and blowback is simply an insurmountable problem that would collapse their government anyway. Whatever transpires I don't think anyone is going to take it laying down from the US anymore, and if we manage to escalate this enough we will eventually end up with a nose bloody enough to shatter the perception of Americans military invincibility.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Marenghi posted:

That was pretty intentional on the part of the media. They refused to engage with his actual stated reasons for 9/11 and just painted him as a psychopath who's jealous of Americas freedom.
npr ran a segment a year or two ago on 9/11 on obl's motivations and it involved someone saying it was impossible to conceive how someone could be so evil and left it at that

as a contrast, you're generally allowed to talk about hitler's motivations

Facehammer
Mar 11, 2008

Death to Israel

Death to America

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Hezbollah/resistance did manage to hit a zionist warplane with a surface to air missile

https://twitter.com/skynewsarabia/status/1716026042169888982

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

Elden Lord Godfrey posted:

I've always wondered why soft-handed soft-brained Americans really like Israel without even being Jewish or religious. It's because America, with its mythology built on frontier expansionism and genocide, has run out of frontier to expand into. Israel still can, it still has the vital energy lost in America, you too can become a settler brimming with masculine energy and go into someone's house and just loving take it, backed by superior military technology.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Imagine this happening after 9/11

Israel is really already in its death throes isn't it

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Ardennes posted:

The US is very good at shock and awe campaigns there is identifiable infrastructure and equipment that can be hit in a pretty predictable manner, the longer the war goes on or if their opponent compensates for that, it gets a lot more tricky.

How much evidence is there for that really though? Schwarzkopf/whoever can write a lot of theory about how we've fourth generationly preemptively won all battles in all possible futures but there's not a lot of evidence. As mentioned, Desert Storm was kicking somebody already down. Bosnia was multinational and also not a particularly formidable foe. Even in that short campaign there were plenty of mistakes. Iraq II was practically running drills against a broken country in the perfect terrain for air dominance. Afghanistan was half assed from day 1. Panama shows something we do excel at which is shanking our old allies. Grenada? Even the air campaign in Vietnam wasn't nearly as successful as the mic boys wanted it to be.

Strategic air power has been overblown since its inception. They were blowing up tons of *something* in Germany but too often nothing useful. You can level towns and still leave the factories producing munitions and the soldiers sitting alive though unhappily in their bunkers (it is certainly hard on morale).

Which is really what America did do really well: mayhem. It can blow up a lot of poo poo and kill a lot of people. It can rain down destruction and break up more concrete and devastate more jungles better than anyone else. It can gently caress up Southeast Asia from one end to the other. It may not be killing the right people or destroying the right things, but a whole lot of something can be destroyed. With all that America has lost since the GWoT's peak I don't think they can even do that to a large degree anymore. There were articles about the fairly low tempo operations in Syria during Obama's era really straining some resources due to inadequate pilots and equipment. It must be unfathomably worse now.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
50% of all housing in Gaza is now destroyed or partially damaged.

https://twitter.com/AJABreaking/status/1716042421899862261

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

Not to be confused with meat.

Death By The Blues posted:

"Secret Hamas bases though"
"Just collateral damage though"

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

FuzzySlippers posted:

How much evidence is there for that really though? Schwarzkopf/whoever can write a lot of theory about how we've fourth generationly preemptively won all battles in all possible futures but there's not a lot of evidence.

This came up a lot in the Ukraine thread but the US adopted the German way of war after WW2 which is wild because it lost two world wars.

Anyway unless zodium bans book posting I'm gonna go dig up some passages from "Armies of Sand" to talk about the various militaries of the Middle East nations (that isn't analyzed through a lens of Orientalism)

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Huh, I now get why our Israeli Portuguese correspondent went from "Sorta CGTN-esque mode, describing portuguese jewish customs and celebrations" to DEATH MODE: Our Sephardic Citizenship law is going to end next year. No more "Let's interview random tech ceos and occasionaly make the fluff piece about anticolonialism" impetus now. Sorry, there was a time people could have stood up for the law when Roman Abranovitch got citizenship and then the Russia war occured. Time has passed so now the only jewish people that will go to the press are the types to fill in anti-Corbyn poo poo or to bemoan the time they saw a palestinian flag on the ground.

This compounded with Paddy Cosgrove getting kicked out of the leadership bc he was horrifed by Israel and was the main reason why Web Summit was set in Lisbon? Welp all of the afterglow after the orgies of illuminating our parliament in blue and white and having every paper scream for the blood of leftist parties has gone.

Let's see how the tide changes here since now both reasons to shake an Israeli flag in terms of economical terms burst into flames in one go. Will they finally interrupt Henry Cymerman spreading bullshit about dead babies or have their weekly fact check go over the hospital poo poo. Maybe since now the only thing stopping that is whining and scolding on papers and grandmas sending eachother a "Netanyahu speech" that has him cry about WW2 which is funny given the recent change on view on that.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Russia's struggles in Ukraine had people thinking that Russia was uniquely incompetent, but I think we've forgotten some 20th century wisdom: invasions are loving hard. Countries poured everything into their war machines to invade not just whatever happened to be lying around and was convenient. Even small countries are a bitch to invade (yuk yuk invasions are easy, but occupations are hard said everyone after the US waltzed into two broken countries) if they don't collapse politically like France in WW2 or Georgia more recently. We don't have the magic tech yet to just dropship to anywhere in the world or resupply with anything but slow ponderous methods that would look familiar to WW2 vets. If the IDF works themselves up to it, they'll be getting reminded of this again. If the US decides to invade anyone it might consider itself lucky to look as incompetent as Russia because Russia is fighting on their borders while the US will be fighting on the other side of the planet surrounded by hostile or indifferent countries. The GWoT was peak assistance from other countries as no one is going to be excited for the US to come gently caress up their region even if they don't care for whomever the US in invading.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
A couple years ago Aljazeera did a small snippet about Hamas's anti-tank abilities, it turns out they've been stockpiling tons of Kornets and actively training on them using a 3D simulator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2RcScifC6Y

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Al-Saqr posted:

training on them using a 3D simulator

the 3d simulator:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwQf8-ig4aU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Al-Saqr posted:

A couple years ago Aljazeera did a small snippet about Hamas's anti-tank abilities, it turns out they've been stockpiling tons of Kornets and actively training on them using a 3D simulator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2RcScifC6Y

2022: Saint Javelin

2023: Wali Kornet

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Death By The Blues posted:

the death toll must be way over the current estimates

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
i hate this kind of rear end in a top hat so much. this guy couldn't give less of a gently caress about any lives lost on either side. all that matters is white washing his commitment to israel since his job/finances depend on publicly maintaining that position.

https://x.com/cwjones89/status/1716046157611229599?s=20

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

the projection from all these assholes is just so infuriating. when you talked to serbs who were pro ethnic cleansing they had pretty much the same deal, their talking points were always just projecting their own vileness onto their victims

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

This came up a lot in the Ukraine thread but the US adopted the German way of war after WW2 which is wild because it lost two world wars.

Anyway unless zodium bans book posting I'm gonna go dig up some passages from "Armies of Sand" to talk about the various militaries of the Middle East nations (that isn't analyzed through a lens of Orientalism)

book posting is blessed