Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Shooting Blanks posted:

This could be interesting, given Thiel's fairly hardcore libertarian bent. Hard to say with a straight face that you're a libertarian while simultaneously informing gov't law enforcement about your competitors, foreign and domestic.

Thiel's a hardcore fascist and informing on people for the government and using it to further your own goals is extremely in line with his beliefs. Pretty much every libertarian loves government when it's acting in their own interests.

Shooting Blanks posted:

This. I'm not sure how long it will be til anyone gets a workaround for Chrome or Chrome-based browsers - I'm sure someone will come up with one eventually, but with Google controlling both the browser and the site, I'm sure they can make it pretty drat difficult.

Doesn't help that the US and EU ultimately give zero fucks about industry consolidations as long as it's not happening under companies owned by countries like China. Otherwise we'd have some long overdue trust busting and companies like Google wouldn't be in their current positions of control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
i'm justing smarttube on my firetv device

seems ok

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Revanced always seemed so loving dodgy to me.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
If/when Google reblocks ublock, https://github.com/TheRealJoelmatic/RemoveAdblockThing#how-to-bypass-the-video-player-ban-from-using-an-ad-blocker does a decent job of blocking or at least fast forwarding video ads. It's not ideal but at least it works.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Am I in the minority that actually thinks YouTube premium is absolutely worth it in terms of content I consume (plus music) and is a small price to pay to support the creators I like without ads? Like enjoy your adblocking cat and mouse game as much as you like but I don't begrudge the platform and creators $12 a month or whatever it is in my moon currency.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Aware posted:

Am I in the minority that actually thinks YouTube premium is absolutely worth it in terms of content I consume (plus music) and is a small price to pay to support the creators I like without ads? Like enjoy your adblocking cat and mouse game as much as you like but I don't begrudge the platform and creators $12 a month or whatever it is in my moon currency.

No I agree. It’s the web video service I use the most by far, having it without ads pain free is very worth it imo.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
If it's worth it to you then it's worth it. I watch about one YouTube video per week and I think YouTube Music stinks so it's not worth it to me.

There are also way better ways to support creators now directly like Patreon if you really like someone's content.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Aware posted:

Yes I hate the idea of paying for it but YT is easily the most used streaming service I have. I didn’t even realize what the ad experience was like until I tried to play a video signed out and holy poo poo the site is practically unusable. The fact that background player is locked behind a paywall is really lovely though.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Yes, gently caress giving youtube or google any money if I can help it.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
If all ads were either 5 seconds, skippable, or static images, then I wouldn't mind. The fact is some are longer than the video I'm trying to watch and I'll just back out and they lose a view.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I watch enough youtube and dislike seeing ads enough to make premium worth it. I'm too old for adblocker arms races across multiple platforms.

I still shake with rage though when someone wants to show me something on youtube on their phone or whatever and some long ridiculous ad plays first, or gets inserted randomly in the middle.

Jesus III
May 23, 2007
One of the great things about money is that it allows people to make choices about goods and services based on their own personal needs. Others, with the same money, can make different choices based on their needs!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Jesus III posted:

One of the great things about money is that it allows people to make choices about goods and services based on their own personal needs. Others, with the same money, can make different choices based on their needs!

okay but if we had fully luxury space catgirl communism we wouldn't need money or ads at all!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Aware posted:

Bundling it with YouTube Music is the only reason i bought a year of it, and don't use Apple Music, despite being fully into Tim's ecosystem.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I upgraded to a YouTube premium family subscription specifically to get rid of ads for my nieces. I abhor giving Google money, but I hated seeing young kids being bombarded by ads even more.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The 'problem' is that a lot of YouTube channels do an awful lot of shilling products for money, so while Premium lets you skip the ads that YouTube runs, it doesn't protect you from channels doing barely disguised sponcon. That's obviously not YouTube's fault, but it would be a cool feature if channels could upload different versions of a video for Premium subs vs. non-Premium that don't have all the NordVPN segments in. Obviously a decision for ~*creators*~ to make themselves, but it just means Premium doesn't guarantee that your kids aren't going to be watching five hours of toy adverts.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Thanks Ants posted:

The 'problem' is that a lot of YouTube channels do an awful lot of shilling products for money, so while Premium lets you skip the ads that YouTube runs, it doesn't protect you from channels doing barely disguised sponcon. That's obviously not YouTube's fault, but it would be a cool feature if channels could upload different versions of a video for Premium subs vs. non-Premium that don't have all the NordVPN segments in. Obviously a decision for ~*creators*~ to make themselves, but it just means Premium doesn't guarantee that your kids aren't going to be watching five hours of toy adverts.

https://sponsor.ajay.app/

I guess it could stop working too

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
They ones I watch make it pretty obvious where the cooked-in ad is, either with specific background graphic or music or an actual progress bar counting down that makes it easy to skip. Or they put it at the end and you just stop watching when the sponsored part starts.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Thanks Ants posted:

I think that is more aptly described as a symptom, with the root problem being the collective refusal, or at least resistance, to paying for things we consume on the internet. Ultimately that is what created the conditions for an invasive advertising business to grow to one of the largest companies on the planet.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Yeah, this is one place where I'm used to just tapping the "forward 10s" button 6 times, repeat until ad finished. Occasionally you'll get some phenomenal content in the tie-in too, like a LazerPig full throated arghlebarghling transitioning into a World of Warships ad while also arghlebarghling for that, etc. At the very least, if they're just lazy script reads I can skip them, instead of being forced to watch.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Volmarias posted:

Yeah, this is one place where I'm used to just tapping the "forward 10s" button 6 times, repeat until ad finished. Occasionally you'll get some phenomenal content in the tie-in too, like a LazerPig full throated arghlebarghling transitioning into a World of Warships ad while also arghlebarghling for that, etc. At the very least, if they're just lazy script reads I can skip them, instead of being forced to watch.

Yeah, skipping ad placement in the actual video is easy af and there's nothing that can stop me from doing so

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I'm cool with everything other than the 30 second unskippable ads. If i wanted ad-free content then I would hunt down a creator's patreon, otherwise the money has to come from somewhere and I want the creators I watch to get what they've earned. Rarely I've bought merch to support a channel I watch and I'd love to do that more but my god do they all put our horrendous looking shirts.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

They would all prefer you join their Patreon instead of buy their merch. They’ll receive only a small percentage of what you paid for the merch. Unless it’s something dumb and digital like an NFT. One of the only okay use cases for an NFT.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

TheMadMilkman posted:

I upgraded to a YouTube premium family subscription specifically to get rid of ads for my nieces. I abhor giving Google money, but I hated seeing young kids being bombarded by ads even more.

I've found the ads for kids are the worst too, I saw some that were like an hour long, skippable after 5 seconds. Why such long ads exist is beyond me, but it wouldn't surprise me if the algorithm noticed that these types of videos have a higher watch rate due to kids either not knowing/being able to skip them, or just watching whatever's on. It reminds me of the days when I was home from school and so desperate to watch anything on TV that I'd sit through those infomercials because nothing better was on. I remember reading how videos marked for kids weren't supposed to get ads at some point, but I suppose they rolled that back long ago.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Before I got Premium, there were a few times I left something on the TV, went to another room, and came back like 20 minutes later and was 20 minutes into an hourlong ad. I think there's good revenue to be made in people not paying attention to the TV, or people who fall asleep in front of the TV.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Original_Z posted:

I remember reading how videos marked for kids weren't supposed to get ads at some point, but I suppose they rolled that back long ago.

Horrific dystopian ads on children's videos, you say?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hh8t8sHnTng

(Israeli propaganda aimed at parents of young children)

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Aware posted:

When they stop selling every last piece of data about me that they can get their hands on I might consider it. gently caress them if they want to double-dip.

OTOH if ads weren't the most obtrusive poo poo imaginable that makes pages load slower I'd have never bothered with ad blockers in the first place.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I run ublock on chrome and haven't had to do any extra work to block the youtube stuff yet. I'm sure im jinxing myself by posting.

Aware posted:

I'd probably be tempted to spring for premium/ad-free if it was a bit cheaper. 12$ isn't a lot, but it feels like a lot for something I'm very used to getting for free.

Like 12$ feels like most of a sub to a service that has like, actual "premium" content on it. Feels hard to cough that up for what will mostly amount to getting rid of ads, and probably pennies at best to the creators I watch.

Evil Fluffy posted:

OTOH if ads weren't the most obtrusive poo poo imaginable that makes pages load slower I'd have never bothered with ad blockers in the first place.
Pop-ups and malware filled ads were the other big reason to run blockers too. I have to assume google dev internally has some degree of adblocking for security reasons.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Original_Z posted:

I've found the ads for kids are the worst too, I saw some that were like an hour long, skippable after 5 seconds. Why such long ads exist is beyond me, but it wouldn't surprise me if the algorithm noticed that these types of videos have a higher watch rate due to kids either not knowing/being able to skip them, or just watching whatever's on. It reminds me of the days when I was home from school and so desperate to watch anything on TV that I'd sit through those infomercials because nothing better was on. I remember reading how videos marked for kids weren't supposed to get ads at some point, but I suppose they rolled that back long ago.

Kids, especially younger ones, view ads as another source of entertainment. They'll get mad if you want to skip past them.

Source: a very frustrated me

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Oxyclean posted:

I run ublock on chrome and haven't had to do any extra work to block the youtube stuff yet. I'm sure im jinxing myself by posting.

I'd probably be tempted to spring for premium/ad-free if it was a bit cheaper. 12$ isn't a lot, but it feels like a lot for something I'm very used to getting for free.

Like 12$ feels like most of a sub to a service that has like, actual "premium" content on it. Feels hard to cough that up for what will mostly amount to getting rid of ads, and probably pennies at best to the creators I watch.

Pop-ups and malware filled ads were the other big reason to run blockers too. I have to assume google dev internally has some degree of adblocking for security reasons.

the pricing thing is that it's stapled together with google's music streaming service. the problem is that we don't think of youtube as a music streaming service, but it's incredibly popular to use it that way, and if you have ad-free youtube you can basically use it that way anyway. so even though it sucks and is overpriced for what i want it for, i can't really think of a way for youtube to separate it.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Volmarias posted:

Kids, especially younger ones, view ads as another source of entertainment. They'll get mad if you want to skip past them.

Source: a very frustrated me

I work to try and steer my kids towards stuff that I think is better, but I only draw hard lines on stuff that I think is outright harmful. The Ryan's World channel was always basically ads for the toys that they're playing with, but now it's just long form ads, covered in disclaimers that it's an ad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKE0Hf4j5gM

Honestly, it's not that different than nerds being excited for movie trailers, though?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Twerk from Home posted:

I work to try and steer my kids towards stuff that I think is better, but I only draw hard lines on stuff that I think is outright harmful. The Ryan's World channel was always basically ads for the toys that they're playing with, but now it's just long form ads, covered in disclaimers that it's an ad:

Honestly, it's not that different than nerds being excited for movie trailers, though?

Man, loving Ryan's World. That poo poo is the worst.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Twerk from Home posted:

Ryan's world was the one youtube thing that really ground my gears and pretty much the only thing I strictly forbid. It seemed to be the most weirdly over the top bad materialistic influence that could be dreamed up.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Volmarias posted:

Man, loving Ryan's World. That poo poo is the worst.

First they had a buffet, now they have a whole world?!

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

Evil Fluffy posted:

When they stop selling every last piece of data about me that they can get their hands on I might consider it. gently caress them if they want to double-dip.

Good point about data, it's definitely not like premium lots you out of that but then again watching for free also collects a lot of data and a not insignificant amount of free viewers would still be signed into a Google account while watching as well where. I guess at least by having an account you can delete your data regularly if you remember to.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I’m personally convinced that the algorithm does change a lot under premium, though. I swear the recommended videos become less about driving views and engagement, and I think it’s because they’re incentivized to somewhat minimize my viewing time because the income from me is now fixed.

I also admit that this could be perception bias, and there are countless confounding variables. But it definitely felt that paying for premium changed things.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

Thanks Ants posted:

...it would be a cool feature if channels could upload different versions of a video for Premium subs vs. non-Premium that don't have all the NordVPN segments in.

One channel I watch, Some More News does this with their Patreon. Instead of 2 hosted ads for AG Greens and whatever, they replace them with nice little "thanks for your support" messages. They're usually pretty cute!

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Aware posted:

Good point about data, it's definitely not like premium lots you out of that but then again watching for free also collects a lot of data and a not insignificant amount of free viewers would still be signed into a Google account while watching as well where. I guess at least by having an account you can delete your data regularly if you remember to.

This is why I love NewPipe. No account required, it saves your playlists, history, etc all locally. I get to watch logged out, have no algorithm interaction, and still keep track or channels I like.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

withoutclass posted:

This is why I love NewPipe. No account required, it saves your playlists, history, etc all locally. I get to watch logged out, have no algorithm interaction, and still keep track or channels I like.

Never heard of this one but seems very clean so far. Nice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

https://email.dmvonline.ca.gov/t/y-e-xnltyk-dythvudjl-m/ wow

Cruise's permit to operate driverless cars in California just got suspended for misrepresenting their safety record to the DMV