Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

CuddleCryptid posted:

It's a tower, just blow a hole in the base with some black powder and watch it fall over

No, no, no. You have to enter in and blow The Horn of Eld.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I don't understand the strategy of skipping a tile choice in LBAL; when should I skip choosing a tile? It feels like you want to have as many as possible :shrug:

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Early on I take whatever I feel will work best short term or take advantage of any early synergies. Soap is an early favorite. I will never skip until I got 25 tiles.

Once I get towards the 3rd rent payment I should have an idea of what way the run is going and will start to skip anything that isn't amazing (I always take Watermelons) or related to my synergy.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Yeah, eventually you fill the board regardless so something that just clogs up the board you should skip. Think if you're doing ores or something and you get offered Flower, Cherry, and Gold Coin. All of those are one gold tiles which, ideally, you should be earning more than such after a few payments.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I don't understand the strategy of skipping a tile choice in LBAL; when should I skip choosing a tile? It feels like you want to have as many as possible :shrug:

Generally speaking you should be keeping as close to 20 as possible. You want consistency in your combos, and the more symbols over 20 you have, the less likely you'll get your stronger combos.

This gets more complicated as you climb floors and get fewer removal tokens or start taking on duds, but the same principle of trying to minimize variance still applies.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
Your priority should be:
Whatever you're working on; ore, fruit, whatever

Symbols that destroy themselves

Symbols that can be destroyed by something common. Like get candy/presents/piñatas cause toddlers are common.

Also don't get more than 1 toddler, dwarf, miner, etc. Unless you get an item that makes having more than 1 do something.

One thing to keep in mind too. You're gonna lose. A lot. Losing and learning the game is part of it. And luck is a huge part of it. Sometimes you have everything you want/need for your set up and then you don't get something you need and you lose.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Oooohhhhh k, holy poo poo, now I understand the skipping. This changes everything. I don't know why that didn't click for me before.

Maybe I will truly enjoy LBAL after all. And it's not like "numbers go up" is too basic for me; I was terribly addicted to Egg Inc, ffs.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I've been playing a bunch of Dicey Elementalist, but I finished off the characters I have and rather than buy the next one, I went back to Dicey Dungeons.

Now I'm remembering why I fell off this game. I'm on the Witch elimination round.

Standingstoic
Jan 17, 2007
Out of the blue, beyond any cause you can trace, you'll suddenly realize things are not how you perceived them at all. For some reason, you will no longer be the person you believed you once were.

Nighthand posted:

I've been playing a bunch of Dicey Elementalist, but I finished off the characters I have and rather than buy the next one, I went back to Dicey Dungeons.

Now I'm remembering why I fell off this game. I'm on the Witch elimination round.

I remember being like totally engrossed in Dicey Dungeons when it dropped riiiight up until I had to start going through the witch stuff. Kinda felt like the games were just a scootch too long to have a character where you WILL just randomly punt a run at any point.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Farquar posted:

Have you tried Card Quest? You make a deck based on what equipment you wear at the beginning of the mission, but then your deck stays the same until the end boss. It's very much a puzzle solving kind of card game and it's pretty great.

Thanks for this request from last page, I've been playing this a lot and it's close to what I was looking for. The only real sticking point for me is that you have flat upgrades for your starting gear that can be hard to find, but with all the gear and items being reusable from go it gives a good feeling of solid movement without a ton of deckbuilding.

Those WinterSpring Games lads, they get me

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

Nighthand posted:

I beat every other available stage but witch 4/5 was just too hard. It's a shame because I think more content is locked behind it but witch is so slow and miserable compared to every other class I lost the will to go on

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

drat horror queefs posted:

I beat every other available stage but witch 4/5 was just too hard. It's a shame because I think more content is locked behind it but witch is so slow and miserable compared to every other class I lost the will to go on

They've added a progress editor, so you can just click a die in the settings and never have to think about playing the Witch again.

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

Poopy Palpy posted:

They've added a progress editor, so you can just click a die in the settings and never have to think about playing the Witch again.

Oh poo poo! I'm gonna play some dicey dungeons!!

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I managed to beat Witch 4 by getting the counter spell/glass cauldron infinite. Tedious, but impossible to lose with once you have it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Hungry cat nonograms doesn't like my new phone, what's a good alternative while I wait for an update

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Len posted:

Hungry cat nonograms doesn't like my new phone, what's a good alternative while I wait for an update

I think it's something in Android 14. Ran into the same thing after I updated. I'd better not miss my Tuesday puzzle.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Len posted:

The one I use is just called Nonogram.com by Easybrain, I even dropped the $4 to make it ad-free because I play it so much.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Len posted:

Nonograms Katana is just so many loving puzzles all the time, forever

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
The Tuesday Quest folks are aware of the Android 14 crashing. I haven't heard anything about any timeline regarding a fix, though.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
The beta channel for Hungry Cat is fixed now.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

hooah posted:

The beta channel for Hungry Cat is fixed now.

How do I get on that?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Len posted:

How do I get on that?

I presume like any other Play Store beta - go to the page and join the beta (if it''s not full or whatever).

Zoeb
Oct 8, 2023

Dislike me? Don't spend $10 on a title. Donate to the Palestinian Red Crescent or Doctors Without Borders
https://www.palestinercs.org/en
https://www.doctorswithoutborders.org/
I had a lot of fun playing through almost the entire Dragon Quest series on mobile. It's not a gatcha game. I also loved Monument Valley and its sequel. I am hungering for good Android games that are explicitly not gatcha. I hate gatcha and hate that mobile gaming seems to revolve around what is basically gambling. Having in app purchases is fine. There was a Mario infinite runner that had one in app purchase to buy all the content past the first few levels. That is fine. I'm just not sure how to search for non-gatcha, buy it up front games. There's so so much shovelware.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Zoeb posted:

I had a lot of fun playing through almost the entire Dragon Quest series on mobile. It's not a gatcha game. I also loved Monument Valley and its sequel. I am hungering for good Android games that are explicitly not gatcha. I hate gatcha and hate that mobile gaming seems to revolve around what is basically gambling. Having in app purchases is fine. There was a Mario infinite runner that had one in app purchase to buy all the content past the first few levels. That is fine. I'm just not sure how to search for non-gatcha, buy it up front games. There's so so much shovelware.

Paid apps

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Hungry cat patch is live

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Zoeb posted:

Stardew Valley

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
The play store sucks there's probably better places to search for apps, but if you go to the top charts tab and filter by top paid, you'll get a list of the 200 best not lovely android games. There's some interesting stuff like XCOM 2 and Medieval Total War in there

Arms_Akimbo fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Oct 18, 2023

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Arms_Akimbo posted:

The play store sucks there's probably better places to search for apps, but if you go to the top charts tab and filter by top paid, you'll get a list of the 200 best not lovely android games. There's some interesting stuff like XCOM 2 and Medieval Total War in there

Yeah this is usually what I do every other week or so, view top paid apps and toggle new.

I found Tinyfolks this way recently, I've been enjoying it a lot! It's like an 8 bit Darkest Dungeon. Not an iap to be seen.

Standingstoic
Jan 17, 2007
Out of the blue, beyond any cause you can trace, you'll suddenly realize things are not how you perceived them at all. For some reason, you will no longer be the person you believed you once were.

explosivo posted:

Yeah this is usually what I do every other week or so, view top paid apps and toggle new.

I do this too, and just found a good one -- Subpar Pool.

It's something like half golf // half pool but has like the absolute perfect run length. Hard to put down, which I don't often feel about phone games.

Seems like it has a TON of stuff to unlock, but has a Slice & Dice-style "unlock options" button in the settings.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Oh man, subpar pool is real fun

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Wasn't there a similar golf game, where you sometimes have toilets for balls, there are explosive barrels, etc. I was waiting for it to come out on mobile, but it never did, I think.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Skibidi golf

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Paladinus posted:

Wasn't there a similar golf game, where you sometimes have toilets for balls, there are explosive barrels, etc. I was waiting for it to come out on mobile, but it never did, I think.

was it What The Golf?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Lone Goat posted:

was it What The Golf?

Yes, that's the one, thank you! Still not on Android, though.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

explosivo posted:

Oh man, subpar pool is real fun

Yes, thank you for this

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I love The Room games. The puzzles are good, but more than anything I like how, despite any haptic feedback, they have a tactile quality to them. Particularly slotting things into place, unscrewing stuff, operating cogs and so on. There are only so many times I can replay them, however, so I'm looking for similar things.

I've played all the House of Da Vinci games and whilst they're okay, I didn't find they replicated that tactile quality. All the other recommendations I see seem to focus on the puzzle aspect rather than that method of interaction - so I commonly see things like the Rusty Lake series, or Machinarium suggested (I've tried both of these, they're fine in their own way, but not what I'm after).

Does anyone know of other games that capture the tactile essence found in The Room series?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

I love The Room games. The puzzles are good, but more than anything I like how, despite any haptic feedback, they have a tactile quality to them. Particularly slotting things into place, unscrewing stuff, operating cogs and so on. There are only so many times I can replay them, however, so I'm looking for similar things.

I've played all the House of Da Vinci games and whilst they're okay, I didn't find they replicated that tactile quality. All the other recommendations I see seem to focus on the puzzle aspect rather than that method of interaction - so I commonly see things like the Rusty Lake series, or Machinarium suggested (I've tried both of these, they're fine in their own way, but not what I'm after).

Does anyone know of other games that capture the tactile essence found in The Room series?

I know of physical puzzles with a tactile property you're talking about

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Subpar Pool is quite cool.

How does one pocket a Splitter without splitting it? I've done it on occasion, but I can't repeat it.

EDIT: Hit it with a ball that's not the cue ball.

delfin fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Oct 27, 2023

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
How far is a long shot? I'm getting the ball (not cue ball) to go like clear across the table and it's not counting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Lowness 72 posted:

How far is a long shot? I'm getting the ball (not cue ball) to go like clear across the table and it's not counting

I believe you actually have to hit a ball that's far away from the cue ball and sink it as opposed to hitting a ball that's close and making it go in across the table.