Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Sixt is the best of those options. Variability on counter service - some locations are grab and go, some aren’t.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Beef Of Ages posted:

Can one of those necessary reasons be cost? If so, I have a bunch of National rate codes that you can use to possibly get better rates and not have to deal with Avis, Hertz, or anything else.

Part of our annual training is always something like “I can get a better deal booking directly than through concur, should I take it?” And the answer is always no.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

smackfu posted:

Part of our annual training is always something like “I can get a better deal booking directly than through concur, should I take it?” And the answer is always no.

I can see why. As our org grows, I'm starting to have to review and approve travel requests manually. It is a giant pain in the rear end.

I still book everything for myself.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Work subscribes to this: https://rocketrip.com/

I haven't actually used it yet, but seems like a decent thing

Mid-Life Crisis
Jun 13, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
A place I was at trialed rocketrip for a few months. Until someone figured out how to game the system and get 3000$ cash for some international flight while technically still following the rules.

They cancelled the whole thing a week later.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Common saver scenarios include:
Business class downgrades
Selecting an earlier flight
Staying with friends and family

lol on that last one

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Skymiles changes just dropped.

As someone with an insane rollover MQM balance this is pretty funny. It sounds like I can exchange my rollover MQMs for like six years of DM. There’s no way that’s how it’s gonna really work, right?

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY
Hilarious. Guess I'm lifetime Gold/Skyteam Elite Plus now. :confuoot:

movax
Aug 30, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Skymiles changes just dropped.

As someone with an insane rollover MQM balance this is pretty funny. It sounds like I can exchange my rollover MQMs for like six years of DM. There’s no way that’s how it’s gonna really work, right?

That's what got them into this mess in the first place, all the COVID rollover.... I need to go read details I guess, but I have 552K MQMs in my account... I was expecting some poo poo conversion to MQD.

My Platinum Delta Amex feels useless now though -- honestly now I'm weighing the cost of the fee versus going an updating a shitload of billing information...

I like the MM changes though. Lifetime Silver felt like a lackluster 1MM milestone... Gold gets you SkyTeam Elite (for now) which is the minimum level of status that's remotely worth something.

movax fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Oct 19, 2023

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I KNOW! Supposedly they two many elites, but.....?

movax posted:

My Platinum Delta Amex feels useless now though -- honestly now I'm weighing the cost of the fee versus going an updating a shitload of billing information...

Apparently if you hold a Delta Platinum or Reserve card, you get an annual $2500 MQD head start.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Sitting on the tarmac in Edelweiss (?) "business" "class". There is a very small child sitting next to me that looks like a screamer. Really shouldn't allow infants in Biz.

Hopefully there will be a decent supply of grog

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

knox_harrington posted:

Sitting on the tarmac in Edelweiss (?) "business" "class". There is a very small child sitting next to me that looks like a screamer. Really shouldn't allow infants in Biz.

Hopefully there will be a decent supply of grog

yeah! kids cant even legally do Business

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

the preemptive “get rid of a kid because they look like they might scream” take certainly is a level of misery that even I have not experienced.

my road warrior year is coming to an end I think, thankfully. I need to do all the math because it has been more nuts than ever.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Update: I am ok

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Tomorrow I'm taking my 1 year old as a lap infant on AA flagship biz LAX-BOS, just in case you need to change your flight.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

yeah! kids cant even legally do Business

I think I'm going to start buying my kid business class seats in the future because I don't feel like flying economy and I have millions of airline miles so what else am I going to do with them. But certain airlines (for example CX) have their system literally set up so that you cannot buy a <2 year old their own seat in business.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.
Wait, that wasn't a flyertalk quote?

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Obviously I'm being melodramatic, also the kid was fine.

I used to fly BA a whole lot when I lived in London and they really notice when you're doing lots of trips. Flying to Boston I was sat next to a screaming kid, the cabin crew came over after take-off and said "Mr Harrington, would you like to come to your other seat?". I took the hint and followed her to a seat in first, what a treat.

Anyone flown Virgin recently? I have a trip Heathrow-Seattle coming up in Dec. People seem to rave about it

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Mandalay posted:

I think I'm going to start buying my kid business class seats in the future because I don't feel like flying economy and I have millions of airline miles so what else am I going to do with them. But certain airlines (for example CX) have their system literally set up so that you cannot buy a <2 year old their own seat in business.

They expect that kid to be classified as a lap child, no? But yeah, you're right about their booking engine not accepting it otherwise.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

knox_harrington posted:

Anyone flown Virgin recently? I have a trip Heathrow-Seattle coming up in Dec. People seem to rave about it

I have, and I have another one in a couple of weeks, JFK-LHR. If you can get bulkhead on the A350-1000, the foot well is enormous and super comfortable. Bring a deck of cards and hang out in the lounge on board. I really do like the newer birds VS is flying.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Sorry, I'm actually really nervous about my kid freaking out tomorrow during the 6 hour flight now that he is more mobile and wants to walk everywhere, so I'm just displacing that energy onto your post :ohdear:

Beef Of Ages posted:

They expect that kid to be classified as a lap child, no? But yeah, you're right about their booking engine not accepting it otherwise.

Yeah, I guess so. I just wanted to pay more miles to have a separate place to put the kid while sleeping or whatever. There was enough award availability if he was 2 years old but the system errored out every time I put in my kid's DOB. Same thing in Premium Economy too.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Mandalay posted:

Sorry, I'm actually really nervous about my kid freaking out tomorrow during the 6 hour flight now that he is more mobile and wants to walk everywhere, so I'm just displacing that energy onto your post :ohdear:

Yeah, I guess so. I just wanted to pay more miles to have a separate place to put the kid while sleeping or whatever. There was enough award availability if he was 2 years old but the system errored out every time I put in my kid's DOB. Same thing in Premium Economy too.

Yeah, that's not great. Airlines should provide all avenues for you to burn miles as it takes that off their ledger.

Unrelated, but, uh, can I have some miles? :v:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

knox_harrington posted:

I used to fly BA a whole lot when I lived in London and they really notice when you're doing lots of trips. Flying to Boston I was sat next to a screaming kid, the cabin crew came over after take-off and said "Mr Harrington, would you like to come to your other seat?". I took the hint and followed her to a seat in first, what a treat.

if you're in business they have a bar on a lot of the planes. kind of fun, you can hang out with other passengers if you aren't insanely goony

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

if you're in business they have a bar on a lot of the planes. kind of fun, you can hang out with other passengers if you aren't insanely goony

The bar isn't really used on Virgin that much. The 787 Dreamliners have the crappier older seats (herringbone config) but cool mood lighting and a more inviting bar. The new A350s has a weird communal space that's just not inviting, but more space and better seats.

By far the best bar is Emirates and I've met super interesting people on them. My last flight on their A380 I spent nearly a quarter of it chatting at the bar with a Pakistani politician.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

knox_harrington posted:

VA sucks, my experience has been on the LHR-SEA route, I think they were Dreamliners. D1 is a better product on that route (A339s flown on that route, at least out of SEA, as opposed to A333). Bar's a gimmick and they have the herringbone configuration for Upper Class. I think they have leaned on their Virgin schtick for about a decade too long at this point -- it's not quirky or charmingly good anymore.

As a Seattle based flier, Delta metal in PS or D1 has been the consistently best experience for me in going to LHR, AMS, JNB (via ATL), HND and SYD (via LAX).

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Sorry I don't know what Di or Ps are

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

D1 = Delta One (Business Class)
PS = Premium Select (Premium Economy)

movax
Aug 30, 2008

knox_harrington posted:

Sorry I don't know what Di or Ps are

i fly airplanes posted:

D1 = Delta One (Business Class)
PS = Premium Select (Premium Economy)

Now I feel like a FlyerTalk poster, sorry, :shobon: I'll buy you a beer if you want to hang out with a random goon while you're in Seattle.

Questions answered by a REAL LIVE DELTA SPOKESPERSON https://eyeoftheflyer.com/2023/10/2...-our-questions/

quote:

Q: People can extend their 2024 Medallion status by one year for each 100,000 rollover Medallion Qualification Miles (MQM) in their account next year. For example, someone with Diamond status for 2024 and 500,000 rollover MQM has the option to extend their status for five (5) years. Will they receive Choice Benefits for each of those five years?

A: Yes. This is considered earned status.

I thought they'd want to pare this back... still feels like a lot of us with piled up MQMs benefited from the COVID rollover. So five years of Diamond and the choice benefits? Seems too generous.

quote:

Q: There were significant changes to the yearly (what we consider “lifetime”) Medallion status awarded to Million Milers. For example, 2 Million Milers will enjoy Platinum Status (an upgrade from Gold.) 3 Million Milers will jump from Gold to Diamond. Will Million Milers with automatic Diamond and Platinum status receive Choice Benefits each year?

A: Yes. This, too, is considered earned status.

I'm not sure if there's somewhere on Delta's page to view your lifetime miles per year but I think I will hit 1MM next year and 90%+ of that was in the past four years. 2MM / Platinum seems like a nice way to 'end' and have something that might be helpful when you've got a family or something.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

quote:

Q: People can extend their 2024 Medallion status by one year for each 100,000 rollover Medallion Qualification Miles (MQM) in their account next year.

So someone with 500k MQM will rollover to 2029?

Seems a little generous. Even normal qualification is 125k, and why would they not force the MQD requirement here? It seems a bit fishy

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

movax posted:

Now I feel like a FlyerTalk poster, sorry, :shobon: I'll buy you a beer if you want to hang out with a random goon while you're in Seattle.

Questions answered by a REAL LIVE DELTA SPOKESPERSON https://eyeoftheflyer.com/2023/10/2...-our-questions/

I thought they'd want to pare this back... still feels like a lot of us with piled up MQMs benefited from the COVID rollover. So five years of Diamond and the choice benefits? Seems too generous.

I'm not sure if there's somewhere on Delta's page to view your lifetime miles per year but I think I will hit 1MM next year and 90%+ of that was in the past four years. 2MM / Platinum seems like a nice way to 'end' and have something that might be helpful when you've got a family or something.

God willing I’ll wrap my current career up no later than 3 mil. Lifetime diamond would be pretty good. I feel like this is gonna create some pretty bad elite problems, although MQM goes away and I am pretty sure it’s just rear end in swat miles from here on out, which is gonna be more difficult.

Will award travel count towards MM in the future?

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

movax posted:

Thanks! I'm heading on to San Diego but will need to head to our Seattle office sooner or later and will hit you up.

Likewise if you or anyone else ends up in western Switzerland let me know and I'll get the beers in.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

i fly airplanes posted:

So someone with 500k MQM will rollover to 2029?

Seems a little generous. Even normal qualification is 125k, and why would they not force the MQD requirement here? It seems a bit fishy

Give your biggest flyers a pass on the rule changes for a few years and they'll stop fighting the rule changes. They're still boiling frogs here.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

FunOne posted:

Give your biggest flyers a pass on the rule changes for a few years and they'll stop fighting the rule changes. They're still boiling frogs here.

They should change the rules. There are too many elites and the lounges are too crowded.

The walk back seems reactionary and like they just added up revenue numbers from the people who bitched and got scurred.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.
After the walk back I'm in a much better spot than I have been the last few years. $5K MQDs for having two AMEXs + $100K+ a year of AMEX spend. I barely have to spend $10K on actual flights to get Diamond? Not even mad I'm falling to Platinum and can't roll over a few years of free Diamond with the 100K MQM conversion if they hold up on any more changes for a few years.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Clearly I'm doing something way wrong. I usually average about $5k/year or so on mainly personal travel and have only ever had the lowest or second lowest tier status. Apparently I missed out on scamming Delta.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I’ll hit DM on segments this year so I’m not sure who exactly is doing things wrong in this case

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

knox_harrington posted:

Thanks! I'm heading on to San Diego but will need to head to our Seattle office sooner or later and will hit you up.

Likewise if you or anyone else ends up in western Switzerland let me know and I'll get the beers in.

Apologies if you’ve told me before but remind me where in western Switzerland you are?

He posts from the CLT Centurion lounge before the latter two legs of MSY>CLT>LHR>GVA

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Jean-Paul Shartre posted:

CLT Centurion lounge

Did they ever solve the Mystery of The World's Slowest Elevator

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Did they ever solve the Mystery of The World's Slowest Elevator

:lol: no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

movax
Aug 30, 2008

knox_harrington posted:

For sure.

I'm in Zurich/Baden roughly 4-6x a year, not sure if Baden counts as western Switzerland though!