Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Oscar Wilde Bunch posted:

Wasn’t there some version of the ATACMS at some point that was like a ton of top attack sub munitions. I swear I saw some demo video where it comes in and just puts a big fuckin hole in the top of every vehicle in a column.

CBU-97?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CBU-97_Sensor_Fuzed_Weapon

quote:

The 40 Skeets scan an area of 1,500 by 500 feet (460 m × 150 m) using infrared and laser sensors, seeking targets by pattern-matching. When a Skeet finds a target it fires an explosively-formed penetrator to destroy it. If a Skeet fails to find a target, it self-destructs 50 feet (15 m) above the ground

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

So literally a killer robot.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

No but it was sort've like that in principal but substantially different in design.

https://man.fas.org/dod-101/sys/land/atacms-bat.htm

quote:

he BAT is a self-guided submunition that uses on-board sensors to seek, identify, employ a top attack engagement profile, and destroy moving tanks and other armored combat vehicles. It uses an acoustic sensor to seek out its armor targets, and infra-red sensor to engage the vehicles.

After dispense of the 13 submunitions from the ATACMS Block II missile, the weapons glide to their preprogrammed target area, and each selects a discrete target within its assigned acoustic segment of the formation. Once a target has been acquired by the terminal infra-red seeker, the weapon guides to terminal impact and uses a tandem shaped-charge warhead to destroy the vehicle. With a relatively large acoustic search/glide footprint, the BAT is capable of accommodating target location ambiguity inherent with the engagement of moving formations.

The dual mode (acoustic/IR) seeker and gliding capability accommodate large target location uncertainties due to such efforts as target motion, configuration or orientation; winds, delivery vehicle accuracy or delivery patterns. This flexibility also accommodates variability in the decision-to-shooter timeline and obviates the need for inflight targeting updates to the Army TACMS.

SYSTEM CHARACTERISTICS:

Prior to dispense, the BAT thermal battery is initiated, the flight software and mission parameters are downloaded, and the IMU is aligned. After dispense at subsonic and supersonic speeds, the BAT stabilizes itself, slows to acquisition speeds, and deploys its aerodynamic surfaces. The BAT acquires the target or target groups, glides to the immediate target area and selects an individual vehicle to be engaged, ensuring that not all BATs pick the same target. A top down, hit-to-kill terminal profile is prosecuted toward a selected vulnerable region of the targeted vehicle. On impact, the tandem conventional shaped-charge warhead is detonated, assuring an M, F, or K-kill and collectively (with the other dispensed BATs) securing delay, disruption or destruction of the targeted enemy unit.

There are test vids of it on the tubes but they're fairly grainy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSx6ZQUUhbc

Like I said they got rid of it because the unitary warhead was good enough for the job although I think the final nail in the coffin was the funding was diverted to FCS. Which was doomed to failure but whatever.

Some other interesting .pdf on it from the late 90's when it was in development and testing: https://apps.dtic.mil/sti/tr/pdf/ADA356470.pdf

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Oct 22, 2023

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

SirPhoebos posted:

Who the gently caress would want to rehabilitate Haig a century after WWI?

Much of his historical reputation is straight-up bullshit.Logistics didn't have the ability to keep up, the full effect of the weapons available were unknown, and nobody had any real idea how to break the stalemate on the Western Front. Haig constantly changed and adjusted the approach he was taking in response to failed attacks - the idea that he just kept trying to use the BEF as a blunt instrument to hammer through German lines is nonsense.

Committing so much force to the Somme, which is what can be better attributed to a "blunder" than anything else, was a perfectly justifiable response to credible intelligence that the Germans there were badly weakened, which gave him hope that he could force a breakthrough and break the back of the German Army. Which would have effectively ended the goddamn war and saved countless lives if it worked.

Most of the condemnation of Haig, which really got started long after the war, comes from looking at the weapons and tactics that broke the trenches in 1918 (and 1940), and declaring that these were so obvious that only a stupid mindless butcher would have failed to see them.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I’m sure there’s a Russian general with perfectly credible intel saying they can break through with just one more push.

I note the Ukrainians are not making the same mistakes.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

mllaneza posted:

That looks to me like an option the UAF command is keeping open. A quick push from those bridgeheads could cut a supply line and force a response. There are a lot of downsides for Ukraine that happen immediately after that, since it'd be a small force being supplied over pontoon bridges, but Russia has to keep reserves available to deal with the threat or UAF could pick up an easy, if probably short-lived, victory.
Nine brigades is not small in the scale of this war

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Oryx abacus guy saying Russia lost 24(!) helis in the ATACM's strike

https://nitter.net/Rebel44CZ/status/1715838919512653824#m

Also lastest update added 118 Russian losses which is very much lending creedence to the big claims by Ukraine re: Russian losses

(Ukraine didnt claim 24 helis, they claimed 15)
This a new twitter clone?

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Charlz Guybon posted:

Nah nitter is a way to strip info off twitter and present it in a way that doesn't sell your info or spy on you.

When it works its great.

Its pretty commonly fails to load stuff though. So I like it in theory but I don't use it often.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Charlz Guybon posted:

No, it lets you read twitter threads without having to go on twitter.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Nah nitter is a way to strip info off twitter and present it in a way that doesn't sell your info or spy on you.

When it works its great.

Its pretty commonly fails to load stuff though. So I like it in theory but I don't use it often.

Does it work on Discord?

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

Charlz Guybon posted:

Does it work on Discord?

If you edit the twitter link to read https://vxtwitter.com instead of the default https://www.twitter.com it should link in discord

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

No but it was sort've like that in principal but substantially different in design.

https://man.fas.org/dod-101/sys/land/atacms-bat.htm

Separately, Textron BLU-108, which is the sensor-fuzed munition used in CBU-97 and CBU-105, has been successfully tested deployed out of an ATACMS canister, but no-one bought the weapon. It wasn't really cancelled in the sense that development wasn't finished, it was just a private program that had no customers, which Textron did because they designed the BLU-108 to be easy to deploy in any weapon system that originally used the M74 bomblets, but in the end only variant where it was bought was the aircraft-carried bomb.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Charlz Guybon posted:

Nine brigades is not small in the scale of this war

Dumb question- how does anyone know where any of the Ukrainian units are?

Shouldn't that be a bit more...secret?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Weather question: They don't get mud in the fall/early winter in Ukraine do they?

I've seen a few references here and there, but it doesn't make sense to me. I could be wrong.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Tuna-Fish posted:

It wasn't really cancelled in the sense that development wasn't finished, it was just a private program that had no customers,

Yeah I've heard that happens a lot in the MIC. They'll develop something, or repurpose another existing weapon with a bit of minor engineering, and it turns out no one wants it so it goes nowhere.

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Satellites aren't limited to only looking at Russian positions. Various info sources in aggregate most likely.

Rasputitsa is spring/fall due to melt/rain. Slightly different conditions but still mud.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

The Ukrainian word is bezdorizhzhia btw, which means something like "roadlessness".

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Sedgr posted:

Satellites aren't limited to only looking at Russian positions. Various info sources in aggregate most likely.

Rasputitsa is spring/fall due to melt/rain. Slightly different conditions but still mud.

Here in Maine, Mud Season is a specific thing, and seasonal. Late winter/early spring when the ground is thawing out but is still frozen down deeper, as such meltwater/rain has nowhere to go, and thus, mud.

But no such frozen ground exists in the late fall/early winter, so I don't get where the mud would come from. Does it rain that much this time of year?

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Actually, mud season is a perfidious NATO psyop and the people that live there don't know it. They've been tricked by the warlocks into adding specific words into the language to refer to that time of year.

Or yeah, it rains.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Comstar posted:

Dumb question- how does anyone know where any of the Ukrainian units are?

Shouldn't that be a bit more...secret?

If they wanted that info secret then it would be secret, plus who knows how accurate or up-to-date it is.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Gnoman posted:

Much of his historical reputation is straight-up bullshit.Logistics didn't have the ability to keep up, the full effect of the weapons available were unknown, and nobody had any real idea how to break the stalemate on the Western Front. Haig constantly changed and adjusted the approach he was taking in response to failed attacks - the idea that he just kept trying to use the BEF as a blunt instrument to hammer through German lines is nonsense.

Committing so much force to the Somme, which is what can be better attributed to a "blunder" than anything else, was a perfectly justifiable response to credible intelligence that the Germans there were badly weakened, which gave him hope that he could force a breakthrough and break the back of the German Army. Which would have effectively ended the goddamn war and saved countless lives if it worked.

Most of the condemnation of Haig, which really got started long after the war, comes from looking at the weapons and tactics that broke the trenches in 1918 (and 1940), and declaring that these were so obvious that only a stupid mindless butcher would have failed to see them.

Haig, in retrospect, gets a liiiitttle tiny bit more credit for his role than say... Cadorna or Von Hertzendorf. The problem of WW1 trench warfare was fundamentally unsolvable with the technology available at the time, and to Haigs small credit, he promoted and encouraged subordinates who were willing to try new things and ideas. That said, he gets a heap less credit than say Petain or Ludendorf because he never really actually puts something of a band aid on the problem of trench warfare (Petain's being methodical battle, Ludendorf's Riga tactics). The reality is that the only people who deserve full credit for realizing in full what the problem was is Joffré and Folkenhayn for both realizing that the whole thing was a war of whoever bleeds the most first.

To say Haig is a terrible general would be vastly overstating the case against him. He was serviceable if not particularly inspired.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Toxic Mental posted:

Jeez someone should tell Putin that war is bad

Why would you troll thusly?

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Posting war bad in russia gets you a 15 year prison sentence for treason

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1716098114350682131

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1715823464408306112

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

HonorableTB posted:

Posting war bad in russia gets you a 15 year prison sentence for treason

Then they send you to a prison so bad you decide that, comparatively, war is good and you agree to be shipped off to the front.

Reprogramming with Russian characteristics.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
So supposedly the GAZ AA's they're using in these attacks (according to the tweet, I dunno if they're there, hard to tell from the vid) are near identical (I guess they use a bit more steel in some spots) clones of the Ford AA trucks (which were designed and built in the 1920's!!) that were licensed and produced in the Soviet Russia beginning in the early 1930's!

Production ended around 1938....

Holy poo poo are they scraping the bottom of the barrel if they're bringing these out.

I know those engines were easy to work on and keep running (poo poo for power though, less than 50hp originally, typical for the era I guess) but I'm a little impressed that they were able to find any that were able to work at all for this suicide run. I figured they'd all be rusting in a field or preserved in a meusem.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

weg posted:

Then they send you to a prison so bad you decide that, comparatively, war is good and you agree to be shipped off to the front.

Reprogramming with Russian characteristics.

gulag working as intended tovarish

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
The GAZ AA stripped

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

So supposedly the GAZ AA's they're using in these attacks (according to the tweet, I dunno if they're there, hard to tell from the vid) are near identical (I guess they use a bit more steel in some spots) clones of the Ford AA trucks (which were designed and built in the 1920's!!) that were licensed and produced in the Soviet Russia beginning in the early 1930's!

Holy poo poo are they scraping the bottom of the barrel if they're bringing these out.

I know those engines were easy to work on and keep running (poo poo for power though, less than 50hp originally, typical for the era I guess) but I'm a little impressed that they were able to find any that were able to work at all for this suicide run. I figured they'd all be rusting in a field or preserved in a meusem.

wouldn't just loading people up into a lada pickup be both easier and cheaper by this point??

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Coolguye posted:

wouldn't just loading people up into a lada pickup be both easier and cheaper by this point??

That would eat into the 1,000 families who got a car as KIA compensation :commissar:

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

There's a good amount follow-up tweets pointing out that they're more likely GAZ-51's from 51-75, they made like 4m of them. The GAZ-51 was a clone of Studebaker trucks we gave them in lend-lease in WW2. So, design from the 30's, made in the 50's.

Regardless they're still doing assaults in glorified pickup trucks in place of IFV/APCs. How long until Lada waves?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Think of all the money Ukraine stands to make on the resell market once Russia collapses and the war ends, lots of car buffs are probably just dying to own one of those trucks, you can even sell them wrecked for hobbyists to repair!

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

https://twitter.com/osinttechnical/status/1716107194368655499?s=46&t=6HOSYVrXffESMo0NlyR0Lg

Even technicals are getting gentrified smdh

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
loving lol russia are down to some br 1.0 warthunder poo poo.

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!

Oscar Wilde Bunch posted:

My grandfather was in the 8th Air Force and was part of Black Thursday/the Schweinfurt raids and the strategic bombing campaign in Europe in general and the scale of what he was watching drove him to the booze. Those big bomber groups were dropping like 2,000,000lbs of ordnance at a time. Just obliterating cities into dust. I still have a hard time wrapping my head around the scale of devastation during that period.

IIRC during the Vietnam war it rained down seven times the amount of explosives used in WW2. That was your factoid of the day.

karoshi fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Oct 22, 2023

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

He might want to board up that window behind him.

malder
Feb 7, 2005

Grimey Drawer
No more assaults on Terrikon.

VVP: No! More assaults on Terrikon!

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
terrikont take that objective

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Tarquinn posted:

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Nork

Over the years I have come to realize that almost any nickname for an ethnic group is or was meant to derogatory at some point. What a world.

The source for this is an anonymous contributor whose only source for it is from a fictional unnamed character from a video game. They have less of a contribution history than most of the posters on this forum. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Yeaaah, seems like some pearls were clutched and some PM's sent tbh.