Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

the indignance is unwarranted. it's an unbelievably small amount of effort to not spoil a big twist in something regardless of its perceived popularity or absorption into general culture, and yet, you still cannot rise to even that level without throwing a fit,

your ridiculous exaggeration is stupid, you're not prevented from discussing anything.

People constantly whining about spoilers from thirty year old games and loving trailers is incredibly obnoxious and doesn't deserve to be respected no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I don't believe we were talking about spoilers in trailers until ACD brought it up in his last post? I'm saying things that re-emerge into the spotlight such as FF7 with the remake warrant it, or persona 4 being ported on a bunch more consoles to new audiences, it's nice to tag stuff. There is no need to get upset.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

There were people in Elentor's FF7 LP several years back who had *no idea* that both Aeris dies and that Cloud was in Nibelheim and were genuinely shocked by those events.

It takes like, no time to be courteous and throw up a spoiler tag around something.

Vandar fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Oct 22, 2023

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Spoilers aren't real and they cannot hurt you or a work of fiction beyond what you allow them to.

Even murder mysteries. Hell there's a whole sub category of those that just show you the killer are the start and then you still watch the detective do their thing.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Nothing draws attention to a spoiler being true like crying about it the instant it happens. Snape killed Dumbledore and nobody cares

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Literally never read the books but of course I know about it because nobody can shut the gently caress up. Your own reaction makes it worse

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Indecisive posted:

Nothing draws attention to a spoiler being true like crying about it the instant it happens. Snape killed Dumbledore and nobody cares

Still personally reeling that someone in the ff14 thread had a breakdown about someone just saying a 'I really like what they did with Zenos this expac' being a spoiler that he was in it. A character that not only features on the trailer that auto plays on the main menu if you sit there for more than 30 seconds but basically every single advertisement the expac had had. Also this was like a year after launch.

It must be incredibly exhausting to give a poo poo about spoilers. Especially here in a thread about watching guys play video games you may not have played yourself yet.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

a cartoon duck posted:

used to be that jekyll and hyde being the same person was a twist

Was it? I also ways just assumed it was the core concept though it being a surprise would make it sticking around the way it has make sense. And I was purposely spoiled about Culprit by folks looking to have a bit of fun and that still bums me out a bit. A good bit of that game is the mystery so having that go out the window does detract from the experience for me. This said there is plenty more to the game than that, but for those horny for a murder mystery (hi) the spoiler carries weight.

Warbird fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Oct 22, 2023

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It must be incredibly exhausting to give a poo poo about spoilers. Especially here in a thread about watching guys play video games you may not have played yourself yet.

There’s a difference between intentionally spoiling something for yourself and having someone spoil it out of nowhere for you.

Takes no time and barely any effort to be courteous.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Spoilers aren't real and they cannot hurt you or a work of fiction beyond what you allow them to.

Even murder mysteries. Hell there's a whole sub category of those that just show you the killer are the start and then you still watch the detective do their thing.
You can still have a spoiler in a murder mystery that isn't who the killer is. If a piece of media gives you a piece of information at the start, it's because it's intended for the experience. Spoilers are basically giving people information early, and while some movies and media are fun on a second go around with new information, it still can ruin that first experience. For me, my problem with spoilers has often just been creating some kind of anticipation. "X dies" and you spend a big chunk of the game/movie waiting to see when it's going to happen.

People enjoy media differently and just saying "don't get bothered by it" isn't going to change how people's brains work. That said, I certainly agree people can make it worse by drawing attention to something that is a spoiler, because it will flag something as "this information is important" and, at least personally, I don't get too mad if I get spoiled on something old or generally considered so engrained in pop culture it's hard to avoid, but on the other hand, it's often not that hard to read the room and know when to dance around spoilers. And in the case of something like SA, it's so incredibly trivial to add spoiler tags.

Like "culprit" seems like a braindead kind of spoiler aversion because I'm under the impression that everyone knows what it means, so it's not like it makes a conversation much less awkward unless you actually want to talk about the end of the story or whatever.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I should have spoiled my message, and have gone back and done so. Marking things as a spoiler takes no effort, and there’s no reason not to be courteous. I do get a funny kick out of Woolie still saying “culprit”, but there is sense to it

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Oxyclean posted:

You can still have a spoiler in a murder mystery that isn't who the killer is. If a piece of media gives you a piece of information at the start, it's because it's intended for the experience. Spoilers are basically giving people information early, and while some movies and media are fun on a second go around with new information, it still can ruin that first experience. For me, my problem with spoilers has often just been creating some kind of anticipation. "X dies" and you spend a big chunk of the game/movie waiting to see when it's going to happen.

People enjoy media differently and just saying "don't get bothered by it" isn't going to change how people's brains work.

Skill Issue.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Yes, goons often do have skill issues with being considerate and courteous to others.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
I’ve seen people get mad about being “spoiled” about weapon names in Dark Souls 3.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

the ff14 thread is the perfect example because we have this on-going story spanning ten years, so while people put stuff that happens in the current patch behind spoiler bars, when talking about stuff like their favourite moments and fights and what-have-you they'll naturally talk about stuff that happens two or three patches, or an expansion ago. then whenever someone showed up saying "so i just started playing and" everyone has to drop what they're doing and turn the entire thing into a CIA document. caused no end of friction until people just bit the bullet and finally made a newbie thread.

people talk about courtesy but courtesy is a two-way-street. like yeah, in an ff7 let's play thread people aren't gonna talk about things past the current update, most people get that. but you also got final fantasy megathreads where people do stuff like talk about their favourite childhood memories from 25 or 30 years. is it now a spoiler to talk about how surprised you were the time Kain did a thing in ff4 because someone in the thread for talking about all the final fantasies may or may not have gotten around to playing a 30 year old game?

what's annoying isn't that you can't just spoil someone who who started a tv show on what happens in season 12 anymore. what's annoying is you can't talk about your favourite season 4 moment of the tv show with other tv show enjoyers in the tv show discussion place without someone telling you they're on episode 3 and they're mad you would spoil them on purpose

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

a cartoon duck posted:

the ff14 thread is the perfect example because we have this on-going story spanning ten years, so while people put stuff that happens in the current patch behind spoiler bars, when talking about stuff like their favourite moments and fights and what-have-you they'll naturally talk about stuff that happens two or three patches, or an expansion ago. then whenever someone showed up saying "so i just started playing and" everyone has to drop what they're doing and turn the entire thing into a CIA document. caused no end of friction until people just bit the bullet and finally made a newbie thread.

people talk about courtesy but courtesy is a two-way-street. like yeah, in an ff7 let's play thread people aren't gonna talk about things past the current update, most people get that. but you also got final fantasy megathreads where people do stuff like talk about their favourite childhood memories from 25 or 30 years. is it now a spoiler to talk about how surprised you were the time Kain did a thing in ff4 because someone in the thread for talking about all the final fantasies may or may not have gotten around to playing a 30 year old game?

what's annoying isn't that you can't just spoil someone who who started a tv show on what happens in season 12 anymore. what's annoying is you can't talk about your favourite season 4 moment of the tv show with other tv show enjoyers in the tv show discussion place without someone telling you they're on episode 3 and they're mad you would spoil them on purpose

People like that should wait until they're done with it/caught up tbh

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

I think it is reasonable to spoiler tag things that are big twists, neat surprises, or puzzle solutions, however I also think people can sometimes be overly sensitive about basic details such as stuff like “level 3 has flying enemies” or things that are related to the basic premise of the work.

That is my boring middle-ground take on the subject.

I generally agree with the idea that the need for spoiler tagging older stuff is contextual - nice to do in an LP thread, something like the ffxiv newbie thread, or maybe a discussion not really related to the subject, while people in the thread for Video Game 7 probably should be ok with stuff from Video Game 4 being discussed.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Personally I love people inventing cool and fun reasons to be a dipshit highlander about whether or not they take two seconds to apply basic thought about whether spoilers make sense for the situation.

The situations were explicitly "when a work is attempting to reach out to a newer audience, it is courteous to talk about things that newcomers haven't experienced behind spoilers", again, like FF7 Remake. Stop inventing a guy to lord your "you shouldn't care about spoilers" argument over.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

I don't believe we were talking about spoilers in trailers until ACD brought it up in his last post? I'm saying things that re-emerge into the spotlight such as FF7 with the remake warrant it, or persona 4 being ported on a bunch more consoles to new audiences, it's nice to tag stuff. There is no need to get upset.

Monathin posted:

Personally I love people inventing cool and fun reasons to be a dipshit highlander about whether or not they take two seconds to apply basic thought about whether spoilers make sense for the situation.

The situations were explicitly "when a work is attempting to reach out to a newer audience, it is courteous to talk about things that newcomers haven't experienced behind spoilers", again, like FF7 Remake. Stop inventing a guy to lord your "you shouldn't care about spoilers" argument over.

Way to be condescending lol. Trying to enforce spoiler tags for poo poo that came out in the 90s is inane.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
ff7r is maybe not the best example because a significant amount of it revolves around the player knowing what happened the first time around

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Sounds like what we need is a browser add-on that auto spoiler tags any spoiler for any media you haven't personally consumed yet [entire internet is black bars]

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

A Sometimes Food posted:

Way to be condescending lol. Trying to enforce spoiler tags for poo poo that came out in the 90s is inane.

I mean it's really not. The 90s were thirty years ago and there's a whole host of younger people interacting with that media for the first time. :shrug:

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Oxxidation posted:

ff7r is maybe not the best example because a significant amount of it revolves around the player knowing what happened the first time around
I had a 24 year old coworker who had never played the original and had no idea what I was talking about when I asked him if he knew which character died. It's a 30 year old game, it's not a major cultural touchstone if you were born post-2000

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

My quality of life cratered dramatically ever since I was censored from talking about all media in its entirety as soon as it's released.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
Adachi is the killer aeris dies cloud is delusional Snape kills Dumbledore etc etc grow up

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
Olaf dies in frozen 2

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I mean look, it's situational, and you certainly should be dropping spoilers for something that came out last week, or just purposefully spoiling some newbie to be a dick about it,

but there's also a statute of limitations on this stuff

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Farg posted:

Adachi is the killer aeris dies cloud is delusional Snape kills Dumbledore etc etc grow up

Farg posted:

Olaf dies in frozen 2

Now explain the plot of Dune

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
and so at the end of this eternal argument, thoughtful, kind folks will be considerate of others, while a different, inferior group of goon will not.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
It well and truly baffles me how Woolie has beat FF16 and yet he somehow completely ignored Magic Burst as a mechanic for the entire game.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2cTIvPU4UA

Someone familiar with the Phoenix Wright series chime in, does Maya do any ghost channeling beyond the first game in the series? If so, I think Phoenix wouldn't be completely helpless in fighting Light.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

RareAcumen posted:

Someone familiar with the Phoenix Wright series chime in, does Maya do any ghost channeling beyond the first game in the series? If so, I think Phoenix wouldn't be completely helpless in fighting Light.

boy does she

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

"please form an orderly queue"

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

The best entry on that list is Frank Drebin, hands down. Dude would accidentally kill Light in a throwaway gag while vacationing in Japan. Wouldn't even realize there were serial killings going on.

"Hey kid, I found your notebook! Death Note, huh? Ah, I remember my first revenge list... Elementary school was so much fun back then. Well heck, no wonder you keep losing this thing, you haven't even written your name on it! Here we go... Light..."

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Farg posted:

Noooooo you BITCH

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Clip-On Fedora posted:

Noooooo you BITCH
that's another thing that lives rent-free in my head, just the way she screams in despair and anger at the guy driving by with "NOOOOooOOOoOOOOo, YOU BITCH! YOU BIIITCH!", it's so perfect

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Tupperwarez posted:

The best entry on that list is Frank Drebin, hands down. Dude would accidentally kill Light in a throwaway gag while vacationing in Japan. Wouldn't even realize there were serial killings going on.

"Hey kid, I found your notebook! Death Note, huh? Ah, I remember my first revenge list... Elementary school was so much fun back then. Well heck, no wonder you keep losing this thing, you haven't even written your name on it! Here we go... Light..."

This is perfectly in character and I lost my poo poo laughing at this. Thought you should know.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Woolie's next project is a bit of a swerve - he's going to stream a read-through of The Sacred and Terrible Air, that Disco Elysium-based novel that's finally been translated into English. Not a live reading, though: an AI recreation of his own voice.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

What

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
That's kind of dumb but I guess it does avoid the main ethical problem of AI.