Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Vegetable posted:

It would be easier to engage in this discussion if your source isn’t an incoherent rant by a right-wing think tank in a tabloid newspaper.

Here's a less biased source that explains some of the history about it.
https://apnews.com/article/phonics-science-reading-c715dea43f338f163715b01b83bb1066

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Vegetable posted:

It would be easier to engage in this discussion if your source isn’t an incoherent rant by a right-wing think tank in a tabloid newspaper.

Sorry, it was just the first google result that I threw in at the last second so that people didn't think I was making it all up. There is a lot of data on this though.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
Our kindergarten is back to doing phonics now.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
i was hooked on phonics as a childe

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

mikeycp posted:

i was hooked on phonics as a childe

did it work for you?

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Jaxyon posted:

did it work for you?

jury is still out on that one, kevin

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Speaking of schools

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZQ8zUsl4Zg

https://www.ocregister.com/2023/10/19/official-charged-with-embezzling-more-than-14-million-from-oc-school-district/

"A former senior Orange County education official has been arrested after authorities allege he embezzled more than $14 million in public school funds over a seven-year span."
"Prosecutors say from August 2022 to July 2023 alone, Contreras embezzled more than $4 million, using the money to pay $1.9 million to American Express, to withdraw $325,000 in cash from ATMs, to transfer more than $130,000 to a person he would later marry and to purchase a BMW SUV."

https://www.justice.gov/usao-cdca/pr/former-orange-county-education-official-arrested-complaint-alleging-he-embezzled-more

"Contreras was the senior director of fiscal services at Magnolia School District, which serves students in Anaheim and Stanton. In this role, Contreras, whom the school district hired in 2006, managed the district’s fiscal operations. The schools in this district educate children from preschool through sixth grade – 81% of whom are classified as socio-economically disadvantaged. Each year, since 2009, Magnolia School District has received millions of dollars in federal funds.

According to an affidavit filed with the complaint last week and unsealed today, from August 2016 to July 2023, Contreras embezzled more than $14 million from Magnolia School District by making unauthorized payments to himself from district funds – payments that came from more than 250 checks from the district that were deposited into Contreras’ personal bank account. The checks ranged from approximately $11,000 to approximately $95,000 and listed fictitious persons as the payee, the affidavit alleges.

From August 2022 to July 2023 alone, Contreras allegedly embezzled more than $4.1 million from Magnolia School District. During this time, Contreras used the embezzled funds to pay more than $1.9 million to American Express, withdraw $325,000 in cash from ATMs, and transfer more than $130,000 to his partner, whom he married in August 2023. Contreras allegedly also used the illicitly obtained funds to purchase his residence in Yorba Linda for approximately $1.5 million as well as a BMW SUV for approximately $127,000, which he used to deposit embezzled funds into his personal bank account via drive-thru ATMs.

Contreras purchased the Yorba Linda residence in 2020 and paid for more than $1 million of it via a wire transfer from his personal bank account. Contreras also allegedly altered bank statements submitted as part of the loan application for this property to hide funds he embezzled from the school district.

The affidavit further alleges that Contreras altered documents over the years to hide his embezzlement, and that he used some of the funds to pay $190,000 to a West Hollywood dermatologist and surgeon for cosmetic treatments. He also allegedly used the embezzled funds to purchase luxury items sold by Versace and Louis Vuitton."

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Civil servants should not be making curriculum decisions. Those are mostly administrators with little to no background in actual pedagogy.

Those civil servants are the ones who spend insane amounts of money to hire educational personalities (snake oil salesmen who taught in a classroom for a year or two 15 years ago and now make six or seven figures on the speaking circuit) to come deliver mandatory teacher development training to actual practicing teachers who are certainly more current than people who haven't been in a classroom for at least a decade.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

OgNar posted:

The affidavit further alleges that Contreras altered documents over the years to hide his embezzlement, and that he used some of the funds to pay $190,000 to a West Hollywood dermatologist and surgeon for cosmetic treatments. He also allegedly used the embezzled funds to purchase luxury items sold by Versace and Louis Vuitton."

repo his skin

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah that's just pure evil, only half a step down from stealing oxygen bottles out of the NICU

If his house hasn't burnt down by the end of the day I'd be surprised

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Cursive rocks and y’all getting big mad about it maybe should just chill.

for real. if i didnt take handwritten notes i didn't remember poo poo. i relearned cursive just to take notes with less fatigue. obviously there's a million problems with education but this aint one

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Hadlock posted:

Because you need to know how to do your own taxes, and is the bedrock for teaching logic across all cultures for the last 4000-6000 years. Vs cursive, which.... maybe 500 million people across the entire span of human history have ever known or used, and is now on the edge of being a dead writing style

are you ever not wrong about anything

cursive is virtually the entire history of handwriting in essentially every alphabet-based writing system. the reason separating each letter is called "print" is because it was invented for movable-type printing presses. cursive is superior in virtually every way, it's just easier to teach kids to write in print when you're teaching them out of printed books because all their reference material is in print

e: there's virtually nothing stopping us from switching to cursive reference materials either, besides cultural inertia. modern digital typesetting suffers from none of the logistical and technical limitations that motivated the invention of print script.

Cactus Ghost fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Oct 22, 2023

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

El Mero Mero posted:

If you bring cursive back make it as part of an art class with big fountain pens. In that context cursive rocks. It’s just garbage when you’re getting told to do everything else in it.

I like this a lot. My handwriting has suffered over the years because I had to sacrifice precision for speed. Nowadays I basically scrawl out chicken scratch printed letters that are vaguely readable (granted, 99% or more of my writing is done electronically these days as well - even my signatures are electronic most of the time). But recontextualizing the script as something that can be beautiful lets you take the time to properly form the letters and make something neat.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
My 5 year old asked me how to write his name in "scribble language" and it made me think of this thread

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
For what it's worth, I re-learned cursive a couple years back and discovered that it enormously increased my writing speed - which is nice, because there's any number of situations in which you can write, but not type - and my retention of what I'd written. There's quite a few studies showing that written notes are significantly more effective at providing retention and comprehension, and my experience bore that out. I definitely regret not taking it seriously enough to have useable cursive in college, would have made my note-taking much more effective.

That said, I second the notion that it's probably better off being approached from the artistic standpoint, and letting people adopt it as their handwriting style if it clicks for them. A calligraphy module with cheap fountain pens in elementary school art class seems perfectly reasonable.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

if we have the money to give kids chromebooks we sure as poo poo have the money to get them a pilot metro

the poo poo's like $15 and is made of steel. it'll outlive you, unlike the chromebook.

All You Can Eat
Aug 27, 2004

Abundance is the dullest desire.

Hadlock posted:

The price cap on insulin is a real bummer but I don't take it so I don't know much about it. Let the bike shedding about cursive continue.

Probably he vetoed it because he's got some sweetheart deal with the pharmacutcal industry/trying to keep their research campuses in California. San Francisco passed a big life sciences bond at the beginning of covid to attract more investment there

Eli Lilly is headquartered in Indiana, and Novo Nordisk and Sanofi are both headquartered in Europe. Those are the big three in the insulin cartel. I am delighted that California is developing its own capacity to manufacture its own insulin.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

i would say that i hope the state production makes their stock price all dip but if it does the supreme court will probably call it an infringement of their corporate personhood or some poo poo

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Kestral posted:

A calligraphy module with cheap fountain pens in elementary school art class seems perfectly reasonable.

I'm already writing up a discrimination lawsuit on behalf of left-handed schoolchildren everywhere. Get ready for a ballot proposition allowing lefties to learn cursive backwards (that will fail 95-2).

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

lefties learn cursive, but in arabic

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
Since we’re sharing anecdotes about cursive as evidence for this decision being good, here is mine to the contrary. I learned it in grade school and then never used it once my entire life after getting into high school. Every assignment I did had to be turned in typed in hs, undergrad, and grad school. In class exams specifically asked you not to use cursive because graders found it hard to read.

As an adult, all my messages to others are via my phone or laptop. I do write notes to myself by hand but I do it in print and have never noticed any issue with doing them that way.

I don’t feel like I’m living some sort of unique existence given that the current moral panics are about kids being on their phones too much. Typing is the future, cursive is the past, except in niche circumstances. In those cases people can learn it as an adult like the people here did. I just don’t see how this change can be construed as a step forward in any way. It’s a pure conservative desire to return to the past.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Cactus Ghost posted:

lefties learn cursive, but in arabic

Bonus: the Central Valley and Orange County will get really mad about this

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

imo the problem is teaching kids to write in both print and script. one is actual handwriting, the other is a crude approximation of an obsolete printing process. people thinking of actual handwriting as some kind of useless adjunct is only because we teach printing first and then push the other after they've already got the hang of the first, so it becomes an obnoxious chore. kids aren't ever going to need to operate a movable-type press and will learn to read print just as a side effect of using electronics. ceasing to teach them two different systems was the right idea, they just stopped the wrong one

Cactus Ghost fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Oct 22, 2023

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Cursive is to not lift a quill pen too much because they are easy to break. The idea of cursive writing being faster pre-print houses when documents were copied in the illuminated style at scriptoriums is amusing. Studies showed that school kids who learned cursive vs those who didn't have no increased writing speed using either style. Now, with computer ubiquity, the ease of using a million other fonts and always having a type writer in your pocket, cursive script may as well be art class or part of college curricula for history and curation studies.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
did y'all not take handwritten notes all through school and college cause i sure did. if nothing else being able to write without lifting a pen is useful for that

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Yeah as a child of the 70's, cursive is fine, and really classy if you write someone a handwritten card or note without goony block letters like a 4 year old. :colbert:

I think most cursive users just hybridize it and use regular capital letters for things S, F, J, T instead of all the crazy loopity loops.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
lmao that guy paid $190,000 to look like that

wtf is the point of being a fourteen-millionaire if you have to worry about your looks

but poo poo, if you're mad that one guy stole $14m from california public schools, wait until you learn what the voters of 1978 did

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

did y'all not take handwritten notes all through school and college cause i sure did. if nothing else being able to write without lifting a pen is useful for that

I was never a notes taker, I quickly figured out I internalize information better when I just focus and listen. Relatedly my handwriting is printed dogshit, my signature is a scribble, I would have to think about it if I tried to write cursive today

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

I just showed up for tests and played video games or slept in

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Everyone uses a laptop these days old man

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Steven Mnuchin should have typed his dumb signature on all those dollar bills

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

Schools should teach useful life skills, like how to use a Linux command line.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

I "learned cursive" in school and still sign my signature all fancy most of the time but it has literally never occurred to me to try to take written notes in cursive

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

First of May posted:

:hmmyes: cursive's not gonna keep the velociraptors from eating your face

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

Vegetable posted:

Everyone uses a laptop these days old man

people who grew up writing for everything find it easier to remember written notes

people who grew up with computer's from the age of 3 find it easier to remember typed notes

weird poo poo i know.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

CPColin posted:

I'm already writing up a discrimination lawsuit on behalf of left-handed schoolchildren everywhere. Get ready for a ballot proposition allowing lefties to learn cursive backwards (that will fail 95-2).

they have ink for lefties that dries near instantly

anyway the solution for it being as part of art class is good. do that, california

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

First of May posted:

No if they do this I'll lose my severely overinflated salary

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

First of May posted:

You're not wrong

I can't find the article right now but california in particular is having trouble filling computer science K-12 teacher positions

Computer touching should be taught cheek and jowl alongside wood and metal shop, as boomers age out of the workforce all the scripts that run the back office of all these small businesses need to be maintained and updated. Not everyone needs to be a $300,000/yr full stack FAANG guy developing VR headsets nobody uses/buys

I took ap computer science (objectie c++) in high school, you get an hour of instruction every day, even the teacher noted that college students would come back 1, 2, 3 years later and pointed out that one year of computer science in high school is equivalent to over a year and a half of computer science in college. Two full years of computer science in high school covers the first three years of practical theory and applied practice of computer "science". I never finished college but those two years of computer science in high school have dragged me out of minimum wage chain resturaunt food service and into home ownership. I definitely feel there is significant value in propping up comp sci in K-12. Certainly enough that I'd trade cursive for it.

Also got some grim programming instruction in elementary school, the teacher's son found a bunch of late-70s very very early 1980s era TRS-80 (lovingly nicknamed "trash 80") in a dumpster, cleaned them up, brought them in, along with a bunch of back issues of BASIC programming magazines all we had to do was type in the programs printed in the back of each issue (with no typos) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRS-80

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Oct 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Computer touching should be taught cheek and jowl alongside wood and metal shop

Do wood and metal shop still exist in most schools? I wasn't aware of any where I grew up. My dad talked about them when he was in highschool in the 60s, but I figured they were long gone.