Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

Fascist freaks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
https://twitter.com/CoreyRobin/status/1715801397461914062

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Israeli PM's office has confirmed that Israel declined to accept two Israeli hostages from Hamas, stating that they will not address what is considered to be "mendacious propaganda" by the group.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Rubellavator posted:

lmao he bought elbow and knee pads

war is like rollerblading

Tsitsikovas
Aug 2, 2023
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

The Voice of Labor posted:

for anyone on the fence or confused, every indigenous uprising and retaliation, every slave revolt and every anticolonial action, past present and future, is absolutely 100% justified, every single one every single time

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

for anyone on the fence or confused, every indigenous uprising and retaliation, every slave revolt and every anticolonial action, past present and future, is absolutely 100% justified, every single one every single time

that's right

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Rubellavator posted:

palestinian sniper's confused look at some skinnyfat dipshit in neon fuschia and green junk skateboard gear before blasting

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Rubellavator posted:

CODChimera posted:

he's doomed for sure

Egg Moron posted:

Lol the right knee pad

he knew

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
During a routine sortie, the Enola Gay accidentally dropped a 10,000 pound fat man on Hiroshima. The department of defense is investigating.

Sanlav
Feb 10, 2020

We'll Meet Again

I foolishly went on Twitter and Reddit during my probe, what a sea of hate and bloodlust. If anyone is on the fence just spend 10 mins there and it'll sort you out.

Tsitsikovas
Aug 2, 2023
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

:aochloe:

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

incredible take. godlike

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

RealityWarCriminal posted:

During a routine sortie, the Enola Gay accidentally dropped a 10,000 pound fat man on Hiroshima. The department of defense is investigating.

actually it was a malfunctioning zero fighter that crashed into the city

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://x.com/nypost/status/1716172203203473712?s=20

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

dads friend steve posted:

dude seems like a run of the mill frothing at the mouth euro freak. why’s he getting posted so much?

He has the goofiest face

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

israel is literally if cops had a nation

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

They look pleased as they are smiling

speng31b
May 8, 2010

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

oh my loving god

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Someone earlier brought up the unsustainable divide in Israel between the religious right who lusts for war and secular, liberal center who has to fight those wars. I really cannot describe how severe this gulf is, it is everywhere.

If you haven't been paying attention to Israeli politics, before this invasion the entire country has been gripped by riots and demonstrations against netenyahu. Liberals have been taking to the streets marching against the ultra conservative likud party and its death grip on the government. State riot police were dispatched to quell those marches with tear gas and batons. King Bibi (as netenyahu is called by the liberals there) is under a dozen different corruption charges that his office grants immunity from. If he is removed, there is a real chance of consequences for him. But the structure and political makeup of the Isreali government is such that removal is near impossible, and Bibi was pushing through judicial revforms to further solidify his grip on power. And thus you have the marches.

https://www.npr.org/2023/07/22/1189627225/israel-protests-netanyahu-judiciary

The "netenyahu is responsible for this catastrophe" is a liberal political line being towed by the white-collar, professional, secular Jewish population.

The center cannot hold. You cannot have a bunch of religious psychopaths demanding war but also never having to serve in that war. If there is a single core ideological pillar upon which liberalism rests it is "I don't want to suffer" and invading gaza is truly the Samson to that pillar.

Although I do not know the internal workings of how a military functions, my guess is that the hesitation to launch the invasion has a lot to do with the hesitation of the liberal soldiers to fight for a regime they do not support.

Likud is less than half of the current coalition government and draws almost no support from the Haredi. The only exception is the small Zionist/nationalist Haredi group and that I presume is the source of the recent increase in Haredi in the military. Their core base is Mizrahi (middle eastern, north African and central Asian Jews), specifically immigrants, who do tend to be religious conservatives but of a very different stripe to the mostly Lithuanian and Galician (eastern) Jews who are the Haredi. For instance they have no practical exemption from military service. For Israeli born Mizrahim, religious and traditional groups with no tertiary education are significantly more likely to be Likud voters. As these folks have just as much obligation to do military service as their better educated and more secular kin, it doesn't seem like being conscripted is the cleaving line.

Sources:
Religious groups
https://en.idi.org.il/articles/39417
Mizrahim and Likud
The Elections in Israel, 2019-2021, Chapter 9: Ethnic Demons and Class Specters: Ethnic and Class Voting in Israel Revisited
Available at Annas Archive

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

a getfiscal post that came to life

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

lol

DiscountDildos
Nov 8, 2017

Visiting Pop Pop in the home: no

Communing with The Ancestor: yes

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
https://twitter.com/ytirawi/status/1716184922921034099

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

Netanyahu and Drumpf want to nuke le freaking world? And I suppose to vote for Joe Bidet???

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
https://twitter.com/MayadeenEnglish/status/1716186344643260555

Soggy Muffin
Jul 29, 2003

“WHO DEY”
Lmao, that’s like me going into a battle field and chanting “Rrrrraaaiiiders!”

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

The fact that so many organizations of every sort across the West feel the need to say something about major global events probably indicates the class solidarity among the elites across the world. Why did the ag manufacturing company I worked for feel the need to condemn Russia when it invaded Ukraine? Why does the municipality I live in feel the need to issue a statement condemning Hamas' "brutality?" I assume it's because the people making those statements feel that they have more in common with those who support American imperial foreign policy than with the victims of empire?

quote:

And yet hasn’t Israel made itself strong enough to withstand the threat of mere language? As we have already seen in this war, Israel will not be hindered by words, even those written down in international law. It strikes me that part of our fixation on statements derives from a sense of helplessness. You can’t stop Israel from starving and bombing the people of Gaza, nor prevent your own government from supplying the weapons and treasure to do so. But you might be able to get your kid’s school district to release a better statement on the matter.

I'm starting to think language and vibes might matter more than we think. Why would Israel and the US engage in these insane media blitzes if they didn't? The historian Ilan Pappe made the point that genocidal regimes seem to think it's really important to have a believable pretext for carrying out their genocidal activities. Not only do they want to murder people by the thousands, they want to feel good about it while they do it. Does Israel actually fear losing the vibes war on some level?

Not that statements and vibes are a replacement for actual material action, but I'm not sure it's completely irrelevant.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/spectatorindex/status/1716175121252340094

they cooked her!!!!

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

israel is toast

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Sancho Banana posted:

pffffft hahaha
No way man whoever's running that account is a double agent there's no loving way

Please, we prefer "dual citizen"

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Karach posted:

The fact that so many organizations of every sort across the West feel the need to say something about major global events probably indicates the class solidarity among the elites across the world. Why did the ag manufacturing company I worked for feel the need to condemn Russia when it invaded Ukraine? Why does the municipality I live in feel the need to issue a statement condemning Hamas' "brutality?" I assume it's because the people making those statements feel that they have more in common with those who support American imperial foreign policy than with the victims of empire?

I'm starting to think language and vibes might matter more than we think. Why would Israel and the US engage in these insane media blitzes if they didn't? The historian Ilan Pappe made the point that genocidal regimes seem to think it's really important to have a believable pretext for carrying out their genocidal activities. Not only do they want to murder people by the thousands, they want to feel good about it while they do it. Does Israel actually fear losing the vibes war on some level?

Not that statements and vibes are a replacement for actual material action, but I'm not sure it's completely irrelevant.

I think the statements war is interesting, especially because they do seem to be losing. However, to repeat the words of a student in the West Bank, who was asked to give a message to DE activists "Posts are not enough."

So yeah, doesn't replace, but it feels slightly more relevant than normal. I hope someone in the DNC recognizes how loving unpopular this is in swing states like PA and MI, but they probably do not or do not care.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

had to check twitter because I didnt believe this could be anything but sarcasm

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

:hai:

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

i am harry posted:

start by defining what the word “genocide” means because clearly they’re a loving idiot who feels words instead of knows them.

bombing children is genocide
destroying generations of families is genocide
uprooting the trees and destroying the arable land is genocide

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
hello muddah
hello faddah
doing global
intifada