Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

rko
Jul 12, 2017

RandolphCarter posted:

(Whisper.) "Are pixels bourgeois?"

easily one of the best punchlines in video game writing. It sucks the DE team fell apart, because they did cook in that game.

Orb Crabmelt posted:

Have a cool new trailer (that is not at all representative of how the game plays, lol):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fe4gVfZ1Q2I

That sure is a cool-rear end trailer though, the game should look and play like that. I want a psx-era RE game that looks like that. I want it to also include wailing chiptune horror anthems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

the music in the trailer is p accurate to the game but yeah the gameplay is very old-school mac rpg. it's good tho, I've had it for a long while now. it's on itch if you want it drm free

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

rko posted:

easily one of the best punchlines in video game writing. It sucks the DE team fell apart, because they did cook in that game.

they didn't fall apart the core members got pushed out by money guy

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

rko posted:

That sure is a cool-rear end trailer though, the game should look and play like that. I want a psx-era RE game that looks like that. I want it to also include wailing chiptune horror anthems.

there's a lot of cool weird poo poo happening in first Gen 3d revival, something i never thought I'd see

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

one of the things with world of horror is that the magic system is absolutely impenetrable. anyone who has it down reliably needs to be institutionalized

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won
just got to the literal piss world “shining falls” in super mario wonder. bless your hearts nintendo

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Goa Tse-tung posted:

they "fix" this with the mythic classes, two are tailor made for martials: Aeon and Legend (one pulls other spellcasters down to your level, the other simply doubles up on your power)

also Lich and Angel, to bolt spellcasting onto your class, but that's not a proper martial solution

I ran a Legend Monk/Sword Saint and killed the big demon bug with one punch (after 2 reloads to get the RNG to work out, but still)

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Legend is fun because numbers go up.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Al! posted:

yeah 99% of rando eco servers ive found to be run by like the type of kid where his parents would send you to play at his house but he wouldnt let you play with any of his toys and he'd try to make fun of you to their mom

Rent a server, post a link~

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZ2myM3KlMk

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I installed Ishin! Like a dragon! I've played Y0, 1, 2, 3 and 7 so I'm familiar with the dopplegangers and who they represent. I love this poo poo, they are the same people, but because of the era and place they are different, but still the same to their reincarnated core.

I listened to a 3 hour explainer of the plot and historical references to Ruronin Kenshin, so it is a delight seeing another fake universe retelling of the same time period and the broad themes of that era. The accessability controls seem extensive and considerate and I think I might use them because I don't feel like being a real gamer anymore.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Shinsengumi is one of those things, like Nobunaga, that dominate Japanese pop culture and there's an endless amount of material based on it.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

That sucks man

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Lostconfused posted:

Shinsengumi is one of those things, like Nobunaga, that dominate Japanese pop culture and there's an endless amount of material based on it.

I love every media that starts with "This is fiction and not based on anybody pinky promise we swear" disclaimer and then fades from black to a full shot of their Oda Nobunaga.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Buck Wildman posted:

one of the things with world of horror is that the magic system is absolutely impenetrable. anyone who has it down reliably needs to be institutionalized

Perhaps that is the authorial intent, seeing as how magic is entirely sinister in the game

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I would start a new save file but like two years ago I spent like three hours rolling the RNG to unlock Miku and i'm not doing that again

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Mr. Lobe posted:

Perhaps that is the authorial intent, seeing as how magic is entirely sinister in the game

bow bow clap bow clap clap bow *decapitated*

rko
Jul 12, 2017

Cuttlefush posted:

they didn't fall apart the core members got pushed out by money guy

I understand how it all went down, but the result is that the writing team who shipped the game we played will never work together again, and whatever kind of mess that development process was, it produced a very one-of-a-kind script.

Maybe all the parts I thought were less good were written by the losers who were bought off to make it sound like workplace drama was the real problem? Whatever. It sucks that’s what happened instead of us getting to see more of that world.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

Buck Wildman posted:

The magic system is pretty straightforward: Lovecraftian magic is hosed up and it will gently caress YOU up if you gently caress with it and you should stay far away from it because only fools, gamblers, the insane, and the desparate touch it.

... but it might work for me.

Grapplejack posted:

I would start a new save file but like two years ago I spent like three hours rolling the RNG to unlock Miku and i'm not doing that again

I could probably just send you a save file. It's not 100%, but it has Miku and pretty much everyone but the priest, Yumiko, and the secret character unlocked. If you really wanted, there's 100% files out there on Reddit and the like, I think.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I'm gonna wipe my progress and start fresh because that is how I roll

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Orb Crabmelt posted:

The magic system is pretty straightforward: Lovecraftian magic is hosed up and it will gently caress YOU up if you gently caress with it and you should stay far away from it because only fools, gamblers, the insane, and the desparate touch it.

... but it might work for me.

I could probably just send you a save file. It's not 100%, but it has Miku and pretty much everyone but the priest, Yumiko, and the secret character unlocked. If you really wanted, there's 100% files out there on Reddit and the like, I think.

Nah I think my save file is on the steam cloud, thanks tho. Let's WORLD OF HORROR today

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

mimi is the most powerful character and is also the most normal

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

drat they just used her face exactly as is for Lae'zel

E: Plus face paint I guess

GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

That's just a bullshit word.

Nix Panicus posted:

its a filter lol

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Orb Crabmelt posted:

I had a whole fuckin' post that just got eaten by the app. Short answer is that if you never played it, it's a really cool looking turn-based computer board game inspired by Junji Itou and Lovecraft. All programmed and drawn (in MS Paint) by a Czech dentist. Most of the music slaps, too. Some of the new art is meh, but most of it works really well.

interesting! junjo ito also started out in dentistry. something about staring into mouths and jabbing bits of metal in them all day must get people into horror.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

you might say they're in the mouth of madness

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

In Gateway to the Savage Frontier, the first magic statue has been acquired!

Oh boy has it been acquired.

So back in Neverwinter, which is mostly there to be a base of operations, there's still a bit of a sidequest involving monsters in the gardens. The way a lot of these things work in this game is, rather than entirely fixed encounters (though it's got those too), you have to fight through a set number of random encounters in the garden areas. In this case, it amounts to three each in two groups of two gardens, where you're fighting either manticores or displacer beasts. You can tell you're done at the third encounter because a Zhentarim fighter turns up with the group of monsters to see what's going on. This doesn't really lead anywhere but xp and treasure is xp and treasure.

Our ultimate goal for this leg of the trip is Luskan, but we stop off in the cleverly-named Port Llast, where the shipwreck of the Gallant Prince has turned up, and no one's especially happy about it. That's because, as we quickly find out, it's infested by undead...and a couple of Hosttower Mages who are responsible for the aforementioned infestation. They're also in league with the Zhentarim, and I think they're here to make it clear where we should be going next, just in case it wasn't already. (Also to be murdered for a bunch of XP.)

Luskan itself is more or less a dungeon in town form. There's an inn and a weapon shop and everything else is fights. Very lucrative fights in some cases. It turns out to be Tribute Day for the pirate lords, and we're in a position to ambush all of the tribute, which takes the form of magic items. We do this noble and heroic bit of larceny, and then get on with the real reason we're here, the Hosttower of the Arcane, which is where our statue is.

Sort of.

Our encounter on the Gallant Prince led us to a bit of written gossip from one of the prisoners (right before he got turned into a statue) and one of the things he said was that the Hosttower mages were bragging that the statue was in the opposite of the expected place. Turns out that was completely accurate, as it was not at the top of the tower at all, but in a hidden dungeon underneath it.

Gateway to the Savage Frontier hasn't been as reliant on full-on dungeon crawls as the other Gold Box games I've played, but this is as crawly a dungeon as it gets. We fight our way through dozens of monsters, rescue a prisoner, and ultimately get hilariously betrayed by said prisoner (the hilarious part is that he, a magic user, managed to start out right next to all my melee dudes, which worked out super well for him). At the end of it all though, the statue is ours. 1/4th of the way there, or so!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

AnimeIsTrash posted:

hell just fill up the tub, put some dish soap in it, and then chuck your desktop in to clean it

This actually isn't safe unless you use the right kind of soap (goat's milk soap - it will keep your motherboard soft and hydrated)

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Just slathering on petroleum jelly around the motherboard before I seat the ram. It prevents indents and diaper rash.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

AnimeIsTrash posted:

hell just fill up the tub, put some dish soap in it, and then chuck your desktop in to clean it

piss is sterile and also it does not conduct electricity

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Nix Panicus posted:

Her twitch where she plays through the game knowing absolutely nothing about anything but experiencing it very intensely is extremely pure

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

lol sim city 2000 is trending on game pass rn

all those cities skylines fans playing a real city builder

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S
there's no way hootington has grandkids with him being this obsessed over that lovely game. next he's gonna tell us he's really into Roblox

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Fortnite ftw

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Large Testicles posted:

there's no way hootington has grandkids with him being this obsessed over that lovely game. next he's gonna tell us he's really into Roblox

He plays zero build mode aka grandpa mode

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Large Testicles posted:

I have a beautiful 3 year old granddaughter thank you very much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

She is ftw