Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Bar Ran Dun posted:

I saw it came up several pages back in this thread and I missed that discussion… but if you see shrink being used interchangeably with shop lifting in a political discussion that is an indication that person either is an idiot or a liar.

Shoplifting is a component of shrink. Larger categories inside shrink are employee theft and theft during transportation. The thing that’s actually seriously increasing is theft during transportation, that’s why shrink is up.

Do you have any links/data to back this up? I'm not doubting you, I just haven't seen this claim previously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Shooting Blanks posted:

Do you have any links/data to back this up? I'm not doubting you, I just haven't seen this claim previously.

I was told this in person at a recent conference on Wall Street on marine losses by the underwriters that track it.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Bar Ran Dun posted:

I saw it came up several pages back in this thread and I missed that discussion… but if you see shrink being used interchangeably with shop lifting in a political discussion that is an indication that person either is an idiot or a liar.

Shoplifting is a component of shrink. Larger categories inside shrink are employee theft and theft during transportation. The thing that’s actually seriously increasing is theft during transportation, that’s why shrink is up.

This is the conclusion I had as well. It's easy to see an "organized theft ring" as being a bunch of underpaid Walmart employees "failing" to receive product on a dock or a trucker trading a product for meth or a hookup.

Anecdotal story about shrink, but a gig I did right after college was reorganizing a couple of pallets of cereal that a loader accidentally ran through with a forklift. We gathered as much useable product onto another pallet and the trucker took photos of the damaged and wrote off the damaged pallet. We obviously had stuff still on the pallet that wasn't damaged, but couldn't fit on the reorganized pallet, but insurance would write off the pallet as a whole unit, so we got some free cereal out of it and he left the pallet there to be disposed off.

While that story is on the up-and-up, it did tell me how easy it would be for someone in transport to write off "damaged" product and sell it under the table. Maybe even how commonplace this economy is of literally "fell off a truck" merchandise being sold in unclaimed freight and salvage outlets.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Young Freud posted:

This is the conclusion I had as well. It's easy to see an "organized theft ring" as being a bunch of underpaid Walmart employees "failing" to receive product on a dock or a trucker trading a product for meth or a hookup.

There are now organized criminal groups that steal cargo via the load boards when truckers co-broker out loads because they don’t have capacity. same groups are hitting spotted drop trailers that aren’t being promptly unloaded because stores are understaffed.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Young Freud posted:

While that story is on the up-and-up, it did tell me how easy it would be for someone in transport to write off "damaged" product and sell it under the table. Maybe even how commonplace this economy is of literally "fell off a truck" merchandise being sold in unclaimed freight and salvage outlets.

I worked at a ferry company where every single year the dock workers would accidentally spill the contents of a beer trailer when the Christmas beers got shipped. Oeps! Very sad.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Bar Ran Dun posted:

There are now organized criminal groups that steal cargo via the load boards when truckers co-broker out loads because they don’t have capacity. same groups are hitting spotted drop trailers that aren’t being promptly unloaded because stores are understaffed.

Feels like stores could stop a lot of theft simply by actually staffing their stores. It's almost like decades of slashing labor to keep artificially inflating profits and staffing giant retail stores with skeleton crews isn't working very well!

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Professor Beetus posted:

Feels like stores could stop a lot of theft simply by actually staffing their stores. It's almost like decades of slashing labor to keep artificially inflating profits and staffing giant retail stores with skeleton crews isn't working very well!

Yes.

Where I live second tier fast food is still just randomly closed because they didn’t have staffing. The saying is “ cargo at rest is cargo at risk”. I see my local grocery store leave that drop trailer for a day or two, every weekly delivery. If they aren’t fully staffed for long periods they’ll skip full inventories too.

These are management failures.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Shouldn't this discussion be taking place in the shoplifting thread which is now active again?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

MegaZeroX posted:

Shouldn't this discussion be taking place in the shoplifting thread which is now active again?
I stole that thread, sorry.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

I stole that thread, sorry.

Don't worry it was worth less then $15 so we won't be pressing charges.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug
This is the same group of people who voted for McCarthy after eighteen votes. I feel like if there was anyone in this group who would be able to get the votes needed, they would have shown up the first 17 votes in January.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

socialsecurity posted:

Don't worry it was worth less then $15 so we won't be pressing charges.

…until they steal a bunch of other threads, then we charge them all at once as a felony

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
https://twitter.com/RepStefanik/status/1716122991539409393

Pick your pokemon. (N)One of these men will become speaker.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Do any of those dudes aside from Sessions have any juice at all? That could be a list of 7th round NFL draft picks for how anonymous they are.

E: Wait, I was thinking of Jeff Sessions, I don't know who Pete is either

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Kevin Hern: Assumed office January 3, 2023

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Pete Sessions was chair of the NRCC, and tried to impeach Clinton before impeaching Clinton was cool. Dunno about any of the rest of em.

e: totally missed the 'other than Sessions' part, sigh.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Kalli posted:

Do any of those dudes aside from Sessions have any juice at all?
Doubtful

Byron Donalds is a weird black Republican from FL so he has zero chance

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

FlamingLiberal posted:

Doubtful

Had to go through an old chat thread because I thought that might've been this former NFL player who I will post simply because it's the most audaciously insane campaign ad I've seen:

https://twitter.com/Jerone4Congress/status/1544700948164972546

This dude lost in AZ-4 to Kelly Cooper in the primary who lost to the Dem Greg Stanton.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

FlamingLiberal posted:

Doubtful

I think he actually has the best, nonexistant, shot of all the who?s running. During the January Humiliation Extravaganza, he was at one point officially nominated and got votes in almost all the rounds of voting. His high-water mark was 20 votes, and was the official Not Kevin for like 3 or 5 rounds.

Kevin Hern is the only other guy on today's clown car list to receive any votes in January. His high-water mark was 7. Aside from the failings common to all the other candidates, he's under a heavy penalty from all the No Kevins sentiment. McCarthy has of course pointed out that those are all restrictions, plural.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

It's been pointed out that most of the speaker candidates voted against certifying the election

so i guess thats just how it is now

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Kalli posted:

Do any of those dudes aside from Sessions have any juice at all? That could be a list of 7th round NFL draft picks for how anonymous they are.

E: Wait, I was thinking of Jeff Sessions, I don't know who Pete is either

The name I've heard on the news shows and such is Tom Emmer; nobody is bullish about his chances, but of this list there seems to be agreement that he has at least a ghost of a chance. More in the style of "I don't see anyone here winning, but if anyone does manage it I guess Emmer makes the most sense" than "Yeah Emmer's the frontrunner for this gig".

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬

mannerup fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Nov 5, 2023

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

mannerup posted:

while Trump's influence cannot do anything to decide who is speaker, he effectively can veto anyone who certified the election for Biden because there are at least 5 people in the GOP caucus afraid of upsetting him (he's already publicly weighed his disapproval for Emmer)

Not really. If 10 or so Dems out for lunch and are not present for the roll call then it could go through.

Probably just be pulled down by Gaetz tomorrow but it’d last a couple days.

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

mannerup fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Nov 5, 2023

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Ms Adequate posted:

The name I've heard on the news shows and such is Tom Emmer; nobody is bullish about his chances, but of this list there seems to be agreement that he has at least a ghost of a chance. More in the style of "I don't see anyone here winning, but if anyone does manage it I guess Emmer makes the most sense" than "Yeah Emmer's the frontrunner for this gig".

On paper he has the best shot. In reality he's hated by the lunatics almost as much as they hated McCarthy, because he whipped for McCarthy.

The non-arsonist wing of the party can be convinced to vote for one of the fire starters. It is however not a reciprocal situation, and the pyromaniacs will never vote for someone who thinks some things are above being lit on fire.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

mannerup posted:

in this scenario, they would be leaving to help get a Republican elected speaker. Why would Jefferies allow that with no concessions?

Why would he? It’s your stupid game you answer it. I never said that.

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

mannerup posted:

there is going to be no scenario where “10 or so Dems out for lunch and are not present for the roll call” during a speaker vote where their absence would lower the threshold

It could be meatloaf day in the cafeteria?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

mannerup posted:

there is going to be no scenario where “10 or so Dems out for lunch and are not present for the roll call” during a speaker vote where their absence would lower the threshold

You just said the scenario. Potentially if there were concessions on the table.

Anyway, the hypothetical I was answering was just about how there could be a speaker vote that doesn’t get blocked by the freedom caucus and also doesn’t have Dems vote for a Republican.

It was that simple, not trying to “one weird trick” anything. Maybe try not to read a whole lot that isn’t there into everything on the internet and then be aggressive about it?

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

beerinator posted:

It could be meatloaf day in the cafeteria?

The religious right is still too strong to honor a bat out of hell.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Gyges posted:

I think he actually has the best, nonexistant, shot of all the who?s running. During the January Humiliation Extravaganza, he was at one point officially nominated and got votes in almost all the rounds of voting. His high-water mark was 20 votes, and was the official Not Kevin for like 3 or 5 rounds.

Kevin Hern is the only other guy on today's clown car list to receive any votes in January. His high-water mark was 7. Aside from the failings common to all the other candidates, he's under a heavy penalty from all the No Kevins sentiment. McCarthy has of course pointed out that those are all restrictions, plural.

Didn't Austin Scott get 80 something votes against Jim Jordan when they first voted after Scalise bowed out? And Scott only announced his run against Jordan an hour before the vote so that Jordan wouldn't run opposed.

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too

Gyges posted:

Yeah, they would do anything for votes, but they wouldn't do that.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Gyges posted:

:golfclap:

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Now I'm imagining 'paradise by the dashboard light' but it's always 'let me sleep on it'

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Meatloaf was a chud antivaxer who died from covid. But one out of three ain't bad.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Also said that Climate Change wasn't real and that Greta Thunberg was "brainwashed".

Meat Loaf made some decent music once upon a time, but it's no shame that he's in the ground.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Kith posted:

Also said that Climate Change wasn't real and that Greta Thunberg was "brainwashed".

Meat Loaf made some decent music once upon a time, but it's no shame that he's in the ground.

He's in Hell, the place he spent his whole career singing about and making sound pretty rad. I'd say that's a happy ending

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Failed Imagineer posted:

He's in Hell, the place he spent his whole career singing about and making sound pretty rad. I'd say that's a happy ending

But shouldn't he be in Heaven, with all the good, pure and virtuous people who have no interest in earthly desires of the flesh and just wish to contemplate the greater wonders of the Universe and bask in God's great glory, and the only instrument available is s golden harp?

I can't think of a worse hell for someone like him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Randalor posted:

I can't think of a worse hell for someone like him.

Salad bar only ought to do it.