Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
LOL the Usegroup one of the citations leads to links you to chud Trump poo poo so I'm fine with calling this a slur if the chuds are using it.

E: on second thought if we consider it a slur i should probably blank them out eh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

ninjoatse.cx posted:

The source for this is an anonymous contributor whose only source for it is from a fictional unnamed character from a video game. They have less of a contribution history than most of the posters on this forum. :psyduck:

Lol. Lmao. Nork.

Just because some fringe idiots use a word can't mean it's a slur. Or else we have a huge problem with the Proud Boys dictionary.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

ninjoatse.cx posted:

The source for this is an anonymous contributor whose only source for it is from a fictional unnamed character from a video game. They have less of a contribution history than most of the posters on this forum. :psyduck:

The lack of it referencing :sonia: in English and Australian slang does not help it's validity. :colbert:

edit: spelling.

Just Another Lurker fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Oct 22, 2023

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

Wrath, hate, pain, and death!

I feel safer

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Potrzebie posted:

Lol. Lmao. Nork.

Just because some fringe idiots use a word can't mean it's a slur. Or else we have a huge problem with the Proud Boys dictionary.

I read it like they were more just expressing bafflement at that than anything else

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
theres a real korean slur, ppalgaengi

sorry its got two consonants that dont exist in english. calques to "pinko", i guess

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
The one goon getting banned for it ITT makes the rule worth it IMO because it was very funny

Also lol @ Russia again using Al Capone gangster cars in 2023

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Satan

...ovsky?

Now wait a minute something's off here

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

beer_war posted:

https://twitter.com/neil_abrams/status/1715783698627338570?s=20

You, an idiot: "Wow, Russia sucks"
Me, a big-brained geopolitics understander: "Actually, Russia and the Ukraine are both bad"

I mean... yes. It is valuable and important to keep an eye out and make sure that even the people fighting a war of survival against genocidal fascist invaders don't go crazy with war crimes, so on that front, I get it.

But on the other, far more realistic and important hand, what the gently caress are you dipshits doing? Releasing a loving report where you literally go "these guys are willfully doing genocide, rape, torture and every other horrible thing man has ever invented, but these other guys denied due process to three collaborationists" is hosed up, because even if that wasn't your intention -- and at this point I wouldn't be sure it wasn't -- you are kind of indicating that both sides are doing bad poo poo. Like an equivalency. Shame on both sides.

Sound
Oct 18, 2004

first they came for ork and I said nothing then they came for nork and I said nothing then they came for me (mork) and there was no one left to say anything

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

No, that's how it should be done. Anyone who looks at that and goes ahhh both sides was immune to reason anyway.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
Can I still call Swedes bork?

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

EorayMel posted:

The one goon getting banned for it ITT makes the rule worth it IMO because it was very funny

Also lol @ Russia again using Al Capone gangster cars in 2023

lol that these take bullets from a tommy gun worse than the cybertruck

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

EasilyConfused posted:

As long as you include a mandatory Ikea-based pun, yes.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I mean... yes. It is valuable and important to keep an eye out and make sure that even the people fighting a war of survival against genocidal fascist invaders don't go crazy with war crimes, so on that front, I get it.

But on the other, far more realistic and important hand, what the gently caress are you dipshits doing? Releasing a loving report where you literally go "these guys are willfully doing genocide, rape, torture and every other horrible thing man has ever invented, but these other guys denied due process to three collaborationists" is hosed up, because even if that wasn't your intention -- and at this point I wouldn't be sure it wasn't -- you are kind of indicating that both sides are doing bad poo poo. Like an equivalency. Shame on both sides.

No, I think it is vital record-keeping. At this risk of sounding decorum-poisoned, it is necessary to show that both sides are being subjected to the same level of scrutiny. It also demonstrates how very much less bad Ukrainian forces are, especially if these cases re. the collaborators are fully investigated. We don't want to end up with a precedence like that re. law enforcement in the U.S., after all.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

EasilyConfused posted:

As a bork myself I say hurdy gurdy!

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

As a limey I'd better not hear anyone using 'frog' to refer to the Fr*nch

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Samovar posted:

No, I think it is vital record-keeping. At this risk of sounding decorum-poisoned, it is necessary to show that both sides are being subjected to the same level of scrutiny. It also demonstrates how very much less bad Ukrainian forces are, especially if these cases re. the collaborators are fully investigated. We don't want to end up with a precedence like that re. law enforcement in the U.S., after all.

I agree with that, and I have no problem with them investigating or reporting on Ukrainian abuses. I know from Finnish history that when you're fighting off a genocidal invasion, emotions will run so high that the risk of someone doing some heinous poo poo increases, and it's important to hold those responsible accountable, even if we can understand why they did something, and maybe even sympathize with them.

But good god drat that loving last paragraph.

Like that's just straight up some horse poo poo. Oh you call upon the concerned conflict parties to halt war crimes and violations of human rights? Well maybe you should call upon the party actually doing the loving war crimes, instead of insinuating both sides are equally culpable? Couldn't have phrased that better along the lines of "we call upon the Russian forces to halt their war crimes, and urge the Ukrainian forces to respect human rights despite the situation" or something like that?

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Oscar Wilde Bunch posted:

There's a good amount follow-up tweets pointing out that they're more likely GAZ-51's from 51-75, they made like 4m of them. The GAZ-51 was a clone of Studebaker trucks we gave them in lend-lease in WW2. So, design from the 30's, made in the 50's.

Regardless they're still doing assaults in glorified pickup trucks in place of IFV/APCs. How long until Lada waves?

Yeah, those look like GAZ-51. There's been some confirmed losses of them before but uhhh not as assault vehicles

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

UN reports are always gonna strive to be as impartial as possible. I get that it can be frustrating, but at the same time the findings speak for themselves.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
Here's the actual draft version of that UN war crimes report (PDF): https://www.ohchr.org/sites/default/files/documents/hrbodies/hrcouncil/coiukraine/A-78-540-AEV.pdf

And don't put too much stock in the highlighting of the summary in that Twitter screenshot. As probably would be expected, the report details vastly more wrongdoing on the part of the Russians (and is pretty unpleasant reading).

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Arzachel posted:

Yeah, those look like GAZ-51. There's been some confirmed losses of them before but uhhh not as assault vehicles

That's how they want to trick Ukraine into not wasting ATACMS on them!

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Sound posted:

first they came for ork and I said nothing then they came for nork and I said nothing then they came for me (mork) and there was no one left to say anything

There is one small group, mostly forgotten but who still tread ready to take up the gage.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

EorayMel posted:

yeah lol

also they were very intentionally using it as a slur and the fact that it turns out it really was a slur irl was just a funny footnote

there's a reason the use of fantasy races as slurs is also banned in thread

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Like, devoid of context the word "crest" wouldn't offend anybody, but if someone said it in Russian and used it to refer to Ukrainian people then they should absolutely be banned at a bare minimum.

Usage and intent are what is important here and a derogatory shorthand for a people or ethnicity is exactly how slurs are formed, in all things language usage is the arbiter final

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
https://x.com/wartranslated/status/1716115708201861571?s=20

lol russians downed another russian helicopter

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

lmao

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
bad news fellas they captured budanov at andiivka

in the fanfiction we call "the russian media"

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Oct 22, 2023

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Eternal flight aka blasted into orbit by my own AA

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
thread on 'meat assaults' by ChrisO_wiki, not going to link it or screenshot it, because there's a photo of the aftermath of such an assault

quote:

More details have emerged of events relating to a recent disastrous offensive in which 300 Russians are said to have died. Survivors say their commander called them "a piece of meat" and told them that he "wished them to die quickly" when he ordered a fresh assault.

The failed attacks near Kupiansk between 7-17 October left literally hundreds of bodies lying on the ground as Ukrainian defenders mowed down successive 'meat assaults', whch included not only Storm Z convict units but members of elite tank regiments being used as infantry.

Relatives of men from the 12th Guards Tank Regiment wrote in a complaint that "their command in the person of Lieutenant Colonel [Sergei] Chizkov (who was in a drunken state) sent them to carry out the combat mission, carrying only automatic rifles, without support."

The men say that they lacked ammunition, food and water and there was no organised evacuation of the wounded. Chizkov had previously been the subject of complaints, but when an army inspection was carried out, he sent the men into the forest to hide them from the inspectors.

According to the men, he also "did not allow them to say" that they were mobilised, called his subordinates "a piece of meat” and stated that "others will come in their place."

When the assault started, it went disastrously wrong from the start. One of the men says:

"The drunken company commander did not explain to whom and where, he sent the stormtroopers to another treeline, and when he realized that he had hosed up, he walked across the field, ordering us to go.

"We walked on, knowing that our boys were there, but it turns out that 20 soldiers were on their way to the slaughter, because their company commander decided to save his job.

"When they started knocking us down, we didn’t know where to shoot, we were afraid to hit our own people, but it turned out that our people weren’t there.

"One of our wounded said that when they were sent to the treeline, they reported that we are being mowed down solidly, and there was drunken laughter on the radio, they're probably walking around glassy-eyed."

When he ordered them into a second assault, the men say, Chizkov "wished them to die quickly.” As a result, 20 of them refused to carry out his order and were sent to the notorious "Concentration Rehabilitation Centre" in Zaitseve to be 'remotivated.' /end

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I have no idea how that enormously lovely drunk commander hasn't had a smoking accident yet :lol:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

HonorableTB posted:

I have no idea how that enormously lovely drunk commander hasn't had a smoking accident yet :lol:

Quite impressive considering that my uncle's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate said that Ukrainians immediately sold the ATACMS on the black market.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

HonorableTB posted:

bang for the buck

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

mobby_6kl posted:

Quite impressive considering that my uncle's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate said that Ukrainians immediately sold the ATACMS on the black market.

Haven't you seen the specifications on these? Getting sold on the black market was step 1.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Dwesa posted:

thread on 'meat assaults' by ChrisO_wiki, not going to link it or screenshot it, because there's a photo of the aftermath of such an assault

Well,

If there's no more tanks to pilot I guess.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

EasilyConfused posted:

I'm from Stockholm and I say bork them all.

Skanky Burns
Jan 9, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

As long as you include a mandatory Ikea-based pun, yes.

I have enough funny facts about Ikea to make a killet pun out of, but I just can't figure out how to put it together.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

shadow puppet of a posted:

for pete's sake will someone please write out "Russicum ite domum" in the square hundred times by sunrise so they get the message and go to the gently caress home.

they would have

but the "war bad" signs in ukraine were pointed inward

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

mobby_6kl posted:

THEY ARE EXPIERD ATACMS

FULL OF POWDERED MILK

I wish I had powdered milk comrade :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Zf0K-HZcmk

LMAO cringe as gently caress