Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I love cops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

I'm so glad we have a little d&d posting oasis in cspam

it's not d&d just a crewsade by the bored and deeply concerned

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

mawarannahr posted:

it's not d&d just a crewsade by the bored and deeply concerned

bro, a literal d&d mod posted three posts above you here

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

eXXon posted:

No, plead the 5th.

Mister Speaker you seem otherwise alright but you also post like once a week about how you hulked out at someone driving/biking badly and while the frequency of events like that happening in a city like Toronto is entirely plausible, you should probably work on how you react to them and also not post about how easily you could destroy your transportation enemies.

Yeah I could probably stand to cool off a bit but I live downtown and it drives me crazy how many idiots I see doing very real very dangerous things multiple times a day. Also, wait, this isn't the thread for cathartically venting about dumbasses with vehicles? You wouldn't know it since the last two pages have been full of impotent fantasizing about kicking over some gig worker's ride.

I like this thread a lot but sometimes there's a funny dissonance; would you extend the same sentiment to a cyclist parked or riding on the sidewalk? I'm not actually gonna hurt somebody or damage their property for such a small slight, but you bet I'm gonna be venomously rude to them.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

I'm fairly sure the poster I quoted was referring tot he really long posts also discussed in the lobster thread.

motorcycles are hazardous to their owners anyway. they also make more money than car owners and are mostly men in their 40s and 50s, at which age recovery from an accident would probably eat more of their extravagant wealth than they could afford. just drive a car or if you love 2 wheels so much a bike.

don't gently caress with these though they're probably trying to deliver something and are actually working class not landlords

mawarannahr has issued a correction as of 23:46 on Oct 22, 2023

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
Nothing wrong with riding on the footpath if you coast along at 10kmh and are courteous to pedestrians when your other option is being run over

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

ehf is a cspam og

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

spiritual bypass posted:

motorcycles are basically pickup trucks in terms of noise, air pollution, and operator socialization

people modify their bikes to be loud and you notice those ones and don't notice the ones that have proper mufflers and silencers and are quiet
harleys aren't, but I don't consider them the same thing they're boomermobiles

once most cars are doing about 35-40 the noise from the tires becomes louder than the noise from the engine

motorcycles have so much less tire and so much less weight on them that their tires don't make much noise, so you'll hear the exhaust note more often because it's not being smothered by an identical tire noise and it makes bikes stick out but the vast majority are quieter than a car. if they were all that loud, all you'd ever be able to hear in any city would be motorcycle exhaust

i haven't looked into it a ton but afaik modern bikes are at about parity in co2e emissions with cars and obviously burn far less fuel per distance travelled aswell as needing less resources to manufacture, ship, and using less rubber for tires, less road wear and not to mention: they kill way less other people than cars do and cause comparatively no traffic congestion which i thought was this threads entire thing ???

mystes posted:

It's not personal from the perspective of the pedestrian the motorcycle owner is inconveniencing if they have to push the motorcycle out of the way either. If they do that, they're just doing what they have to do to use the sidewalk, nothing personal.

You're viewing this as a one time thing from the perspective of the motorcycle owner, and saying "oh it's just once so it's not a big deal to try to hunt down the owner and ask them to move it."

What you're not understanding is that, from the perspective of people using the sidewalk, it's not just that one specific motorcycle, it's the idea that it's acceptable to make them go on a loving sidequest every time they want to just go to the corner store.

People walking on sidewalks shouldn't have to hunt down the owners of illegally parked motorcycles any more than someone riding a bike in the bike lane should have to hunt down the owner of each car that's illegally parked in it

what? intentionally destroying someone's expensive personal property is very personal. if that's that person's method of commuting to work, that could cost them their job and their home. if they have kids that could cost their kids their home. is your minor irritation in knocking on a door 15ft away a more important concern than those possibilities? what's your opinion on Ron Paul?

again, you cannot just move a parked motorcycle by hand that's a 400 lb piece of machinery with its rear wheel locked, any person who doesn't know what they're doing trying to move it will most likely drop it on its side trying to shimmy it, now there's a motorcycle laying on its side in the sidewalk and its even harder to get past.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

i would simply allow the bike to fall on me and get a fat settlement. Seems simple

Apr 7, 2003

Rode my bike today and saw an old guy riding with a shotgun across the handlebars

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Smythe posted:

ehf is a cspam og

yeah it was just funny they posted when they did

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Here’s the OP for your consideration.

quote:

They have a driveway, the suv is theirs, there’s space on the street and in their yard.

I’m not sure what high-crime area would change, the bike is just as likely to get stolen / vandalized here as it would be 5 feet over.

The way to walk around it with the stroller is into the street.

When a giant truck is double parked in a parking lot or in a handicap spot is the solution “just walk around it”?

It’s there every day, sometimes 2 bikes.

quote:

The house 2 doors down from them has a walker and a motorized wheelchair on the porch. The people don't seem approachable based on various "I"m more badass than you" bumper stickers, and I don't want them to think it was me IF someone else does kick their bike or call them in.

quote:

If I told him not to park there, I’m sure he’d have an epiphany and realize that he’s inconvenience others and change his ways and become a new person.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

My posting is too powerful for labels, your focus too much on ornamentation, do not park motorcycles on the sidewalk.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
EDIT: ^^^ OK that changes things, I thought for sure that was a one-off UberEats driver (not that that would make it OK either). gently caress that clown, call that poo poo in every day.

El Pollo Blanco posted:

Nothing wrong with riding on the footpathrolling through a stop sign if you coast along at 10kmhcover your brake pedal and are courteous to pedestrianslook both left and right when your other option is being run overlate to the thing

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Rode my bike today and saw an old guy riding with a shotgun across the handlebars

Pistol grip pump on my lap at all times

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
Every time a suv or bike is parked blocking the footpath I'm meant to go find the person who owns it and ask them nicely to move it, a normal take

Most of our cycleways are shared paths so riding on the footpath is normal here

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

FirstnameLastname posted:

harleys aren't, but I don't consider them the same thing they're boomermobiles
boomers are the biggest segment of motorcyclists

quote:

again, you cannot just move a parked motorcycle by hand that's a 400 lb piece of machinery with its rear wheel locked, any person who doesn't know what they're doing trying to move it will most likely drop it on its side trying to shimmy it, now there's a motorcycle laying on its side in the sidewalk and its even harder to get past.
that poster is probably lying and has never pushed a 400 lb bike over. in any case, anyone actually working class who uses it for their work is gonna use something 230-275 lb like a pcx 125. a huge bike probably belongs to an boomer who has 2 other bikes in their houses.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

El Pollo Blanco posted:

Every time a suv or bike is parked blocking the footpath I'm meant to go find the person who owns it and ask them nicely to move it, a normal take

what do you propose instead? blow up the car? smash a window? pop the tires? call 911?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
thoughts?

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

El Pollo Blanco posted:

you do realize I'm not putting the vehicles there right

I am not the DM, i am not making rules or saying it's your fault or that they have the right to do that

im saying how you fix that situation. cmon.

you realize that by doing that it doesn't encourage people to do it more, right? like, by treating people who did something dumb as humans and asking them to correct the mistake or error instead of as chud enemy devils who can only be fought through vandalism and police enforcement, it doesn't grant strength to bad behavior and Chuddery.

it doesn't mean that they're right or that you lose

it means when you are faced with an obstacle caused by a person that doesn't have a negative intent to it, you have an opportunity to improve the situation and you have an opportunity to make it worse, so do the one that improves the situation, or don't do anything

how is this hard to grasp its like basic basic ethics and morality stuff

Twerk from Home posted:

Pistol grip pump on my lap at all times

ugk goat rip pimp c

FlutieFlake
Nov 5, 2017

what do you propose instead? blow up the car? smash a window? pop the tires? call 911?

Find another way around it, then post a picture online for other people to argue about.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

The hose should have called 911

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
stealing motorcycles and cars is cool

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

who was the cspam poster who was always just perma raged at firemen? talked all the time about how modern day construction practices mean fire depts aren't needed and are now just a gang wasting tax dollars

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

fosborb posted:

who was the cspam poster who was always just perma raged at firemen? talked all the time about how modern day construction practices mean fire depts aren't needed and are now just a gang wasting tax dollars

watercops. gently caress em.

ive heard a lotta fire departments do that on purpose pretty much every time to make a point even if they don't have to

ive got no problem with that, they're clearly marked and inconveniencing people fighting a fire is only ever gonna go one way

FirstnameLastname has issued a correction as of 00:29 on Oct 23, 2023

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

yes, but not in that order. smash a window, pop tires, call 911, then finally blow it up when cops show up and come closer to look at tires/window

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
Maybe some kind of citywide enforcement of ticketing illegally parked vehicles might be a solution, they wouldn't even need to be cops! Radical proposal I'm sure

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

El Pollo Blanco posted:

Maybe some kind of citywide enforcement of ticketing illegally parked vehicles might be a solution, they wouldn't even need to be cops! Radical proposal I'm sure

we should give them machine guns and train them in israel

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

mawarannahr posted:

boomers are the biggest segment of motorcyclists

that poster is probably lying and has never pushed a 400 lb bike over. in any case, anyone actually working class who uses it for their work is gonna use something 230-275 lb like a pcx 125. a huge bike probably belongs to an boomer who has 2 other bikes in their houses.

No one in the USA is riding street registered 125s and low 400 lbs is basically the starting point for any us market motorcycles that people purchase with cruisers hitting 600-800+lbs. Dirt bikes are ~240lbs and that is about as stripped raw as it gets

Apr 7, 2003

my bike weighs 19 lbs, wrap it up motorfailures

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

500excf type r posted:

No one in the USA is riding street registered 125s and low 400 lbs is basically the starting point for any us market motorcycles that people purchase with cruisers hitting 600-800+lbs. Dirt bikes are ~240lbs and that is about as stripped raw as it gets

sounds like 3-house boomer poo poo op. a scooter is the working man's vehicle worldwide.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the hose should be straight coming out of the hydrant to the truck which is why they need the space clear.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
lol if you bike doesn’t weight a half ton, have a hand‐cast exhaust tip, and wasn’t sold at hundred‐thousand‐dollar loss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjuWiKz9zno

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord
when i got my motorcycle license they had scooters in the lot for people that planned on getting/owned one because the point of the class was to familiarize yourself with the ergonomics as much as it was to teach you proper operation. nobody took them up on the offer but it was nice that they had the option.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

mawarannahr posted:

sounds like 3-house boomer poo poo op. a scooter is the working man's vehicle worldwide.

I don't know what three house boomer poo poo is but if you go back to page 1 and read this thread you will learn all about the structure, consolidation, and dangers of the American roadways and from there you can extrapolate why scooters are not popular forms of transportation for the everyperson in the USA

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

legitimate gas-powered motorized 2 wheel vehicles:

500excf type r posted:

I don't know what three house boomer poo poo is but if you go back to page 1 and read this thread you will learn all about the structure, consolidation, and dangers of the American roadways and from there you can extrapolate why scooters are not popular forms of transportation for the everyperson in the USA

not sure how the most popular motorcycle in America, Harley Davidson, makes you safer

mawarannahr has issued a correction as of 01:08 on Oct 23, 2023

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

You're talking to the buffoon who actually believes the "louder = safer" line invented by owners of loud motorcycles

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

that car was no angel

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

FirstnameLastname posted:

watercops. gently caress em.

look for the helmets. they make fools of us all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

El Pollo Blanco posted:

Nothing wrong with riding on the footpath if you coast along at 10kmh and are courteous to pedestrians when your other option is being run over

nah i dont think motorcycles should ride on the footpath even if theyre going slow