Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Elden Ring question: is there any benefit to wearing light armor besides keeping your load down? I've tried different pieces of armor and it doesn't seem to effect speed, or stealth, or pretty much anything. So why would I, as a user of light weapons like daggers, not deck myself out in the heaviest clankiest full plate poo poo I can find?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Elden Ring question: is there any benefit to wearing light armor besides keeping your load down? I've tried different pieces of armor and it doesn't seem to effect speed, or stealth, or pretty much anything. So why would I, as a user of light weapons like daggers, not deck myself out in the heaviest clankiest full plate poo poo I can find?

Because light rolling is the poo poo.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Keeping your load down is the #1 most valuable aspect of armor. (Well #2 behind ~*~fashion~*~.)
A better question would be "is there any benefit to wearing heavier armor?" because half the time the answer is no. taking 10% less damage or whatever is really not worth trading your dodge roll for a crappy fat roll. The main benefit of heavier armor is that it gives interruption-resistance ("poise") in pvp, but the poise stat only applies when you're swinging heavy weapons anyways so it's useless for a dagger user. Plus most bosses hit hard enough to break your poise regardless so in pve it's only helpful against small enemies.

Feel free to wear anything that fits in your weight limit without going overburdened and getting the crappy roll, but the defensive benefits of armor upgrades are actually really small. You'll see almost no difference between picking whatever looks coolest and whatever has the "best" stats, and if you wanna be tankier upgrading HP is almost always better than upgrading your weight limit to wear more armor.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

good thank you friends. I wanna wear light armor. I'm trying to be assassin as gently caress.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
My first character playing dark souls completely blind in every respect was heavy armor and I learned my lesson

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

If you pick armor for any reason besides aesthetics you're doing it wrong.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Nice Van My Man posted:

If you pick armor for any reason besides aesthetics you're doing it wrong.

This is correct

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Fashion Souls 5ever.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
nice armor

FOR A VAULT DWELLER TO WEAR

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Keeping your load down is the #1 most valuable aspect of armor. (Well #2 behind ~*~fashion~*~.)
A better question would be "is there any benefit to wearing heavier armor?" because half the time the answer is no. taking 10% less damage or whatever is really not worth trading your dodge roll for a crappy fat roll. The main benefit of heavier armor is that it gives interruption-resistance ("poise") in pvp, but the poise stat only applies when you're swinging heavy weapons anyways so it's useless for a dagger user. Plus most bosses hit hard enough to break your poise regardless so in pve it's only helpful against small enemies.

Feel free to wear anything that fits in your weight limit without going overburdened and getting the crappy roll, but the defensive benefits of armor upgrades are actually really small. You'll see almost no difference between picking whatever looks coolest and whatever has the "best" stats, and if you wanna be tankier upgrading HP is almost always better than upgrading your weight limit to wear more armor.

I feel like people undersell the value of armor in souls games a bit. If you're able to reduce the damage an enemy does from 50% of your hp to 45% of your hp you can take 50% more hits before dying. I've definitely had boss fights become easier by equipping the right armor set.

That said, going full heavy armor is a choice that requires a lot of investment to not saddle you with fat rolls, so it's probably not something you're going to do most runs.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The Moon Monster posted:

I feel like people undersell the value of armor in souls games a bit. If you're able to reduce the damage an enemy does from 50% of your hp to 45% of your hp you can take 50% more hits before dying. I've definitely had boss fights become easier by equipping the right armor set.

That said, going full heavy armor is a choice that requires a lot of investment to not saddle you with fat rolls, so it's probably not something you're going to do most runs.

In this scenario you could also buy 1 point of vitality for the same result and without the risk of losing any invincibility frames

The damage reduction is usually just a nice small bonus that you get while trying to maximize your drip

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

good thank you friends. I wanna wear light armor. I'm trying to be assassin as gently caress.

It’s ironic then that you picked Elden Ring as your first souls game because it is the entry with zero reasons to not always wear the heaviest armor your weight stat allows. Dark Souls 1 had massive advantages to wearing light armor, with four different levels of speed, maneuverability, dodge roll distance covered, and dodge roll Iframes depending on how low a percentage of your carrying capacity you were using. Five levels if you count the ring for super-light weight characters. 2 didn’t go quite so hard but still gave you stamina bonuses and roll bonuses for going light weight. Bloodborne literally only has light armor. DS3 is like Elden Ring, another reason it’s the worst souls game.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
It's good he didnt' start with Sekiro because any other souls game after that is a step down.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Waltzing Along posted:

It's good he didnt' start with Sekiro because he would have stopped immediately because it's terrible

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I'm sorry the game hurt you. I know it's difficult, but it's the best all-around of the souls games. Low bar to clear, I know.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Sekiro isn't a souls game.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Gaius Marius posted:

Sekiro isn't a souls game.

That explains why it is so much better.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

DrPossum posted:

My first character playing dark souls completely blind in every respect was heavy armor and I learned my lesson

Counterpoint: I also did DS last year largely blind. When I found a heavy armour & shield, I had the time of my life. Dodging is for sweaty nerds.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
im begging gamers to stop saying stupid bullshit terms like sweaty

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Poggers.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

They are sweaty because mom makes them close the door when playing. All that mass gives off heat and it's got nowhere to go.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Awww someone sounds like a lil sweaty pogchamp right now :3:

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

syntaxfunction posted:

Awww someone sounds like a lil sweaty pogchamp right now :3:

Jesus Christ.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Jesus Christ is the sweatiest gamer.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

You're just mad that your stupid bullshit isn't popular anymore, sorry that you can't frag newbies anymore grampa

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

whoa everyone's getting salty ITT. We're supposed to be friends!

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

God isn't watching you... but I am!
All I know is, heavy armor, big sword, high poise, gently caress the haters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ca0HXn4KdBQ

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

The new Mario is a souls game because of the ghost players.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I'll bet the developers of this game have some hosed dreams, man

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

syntaxfunction posted:

Jesus Christ is the sweatiest gamer.

jesus christ has been g*ming for thousands of years, as he does currently, if xenosaga is to be believed

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Asking Jesus to please nerf evil and buff good in the next balance patch.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Jesus was the first item duper

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Jesus was bussin fr fr

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Khanstant posted:

Jesus was bussin fr fr

On god

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Jesus respawns but has a 72 hour wait time.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

QuarkJets posted:

In this scenario you could also buy 1 point of vitality for the same result and without the risk of losing any invincibility frames

The damage reduction is usually just a nice small bonus that you get while trying to maximize your drip

This is predicated on not being at the vitality soft cap already, which is hosed up. I think part of the reason some people think Souls games are so hard is because they don't invest at all in vitality which is by far the strongest stat for anyone who doesn't play perfectly.

Bifner McDoogle
Mar 31, 2006

"Life unworthy of life" (German: Lebensunwertes Leben) is a pragmatic liberal designation for the segments of the populace which they view as having no right to continue existing, due to the expense of extending them basic human dignity.

Waltzing Along posted:

I'm sorry the game hurt you. I know it's difficult, but it's the best all-around of the souls games. Low bar to clear, I know.

Sekiro feels kinda easy compared to Souls games tho. Like it was harder than a lot of games, but definitely less painful than a lot of Souls titles and way less frustrating. Given the reputation and that I played it right after clearing Nioh 2 my first thought was "That was great, seems kinda easy tho" and "I wish the Demon of Hatred was a Nioh boss"

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Opposite for me. I can solo most Souls stuff just fine, but I don't like parrying in games and I'm bad at it, which lead Sekiro to feel 10 times harder than any of their other games to me.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I scraped barnacles off a skyscraper sized baba yaga's hut and it laid down like a good dog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Sekiro is harder since getting good means getting better at pressing buttons in reaction and rhythm of combat, couples with fewer ways to heal up from mistakes since if you're doing well you don't need them at all. You just needed to get better at combat.

Dark Souls is very much choose your own difficulty. There are myriad ways to cheese the game, they give you the option to just have someone else beat it for you, and the items and stats are super imbalanced so you can break them however you see fit. I think Elden Ring also made itself easier with patches eventually.

Dark Souls games you never have to get good at melee combat if you don't want to, there are other systems to help you progress.