Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

I want to live in the Universe where Chris Farley didn't overdose and we have his Shrek version.
Also, it's animated traditionally instead of using awful plasticky CGI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I loving loved Shrek and Shrek 2. The Fairy Godmother was legit terrifying and reminded me a lot of Terry Pratchett's take on them.

The rest, eh. I hated Ice Age because none of the VAs didn't sound like normal voices for the dudes. I shouldn't hear Raymond every single time the mammoth speaks.

Also, I hate how Michael Bay did Optimus Prime so so wrong. I know he didn't do the last movie, but Prime being kinda a bigot about humans was about as bad as him going "GIVE ME YOUR FACE" when killing an enemy. Like, this is Optimus loving Prime, not Shattered Glass version. He's a good dude. He does not do poo poo like that.

That reminds me of the sheer WTF of the 80's cartoon with the city Carbombya. As a kid I had no idea what it meant, but it's the reason Casey Kasem left the show. Why the gently caress was it so important to have that in a 30 minute toy commercial?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It was the 80s. So much about Bayformers makes sense if you imagine Bay literally used the 80s cartoon as primary inspiration.

Also still lol that Puss in Boots 2 was legitimately amazing.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

BrigadierSensible posted:

Beg to loudly disagree.

That rat/squirrel/acorn loving thing shits me to no end. And I find the saccharine "we are all family" bullshit message stomach turning.

Also John Leguizamo's "Haha aren't I so wacky(tm)" character is grating from the first second and gets worse the more he is prominently featured. And I don't like the way they had to keep coming up with new ways to keep it all prehistoric, yet still moving forward in time.

But that is just my opinion. People can like whatever lovely cartoons they like.

I can’t speak to the sequels, so probably

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It was the 80s. So much about Bayformers makes sense if you imagine Bay literally used the 80s cartoon as primary inspiration.

I was surprised and confused at how good it was and this is somebody who liked all of the Shrek movies because they were fun.

Jack Horner is such a refreshing villain because we're all constantly inundated by tragic villainy so it's wrapped back around to incredibly novel to have someone actually be that banal.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Cowslips Warren posted:

The rest, eh. I hated Ice Age because none of the VAs didn't sound like normal voices for the dudes. I shouldn't hear Raymond every single time the mammoth speaks.

Ice Age is probably one of the only animated movies I've watched dubbed and preferred the dubbed version because of Raymond. (Norwegian)
As a child I loving loathed Raymond because that sitcom was on TV3 seemingly all the time and I just hated it so much.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

SubNat posted:

Ice Age is probably one of the only animated movies I've watched dubbed and preferred the dubbed version because of Raymond. (Norwegian)

It's kinda funny that the mammoth was voiced by this guy:

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Pentaro posted:

I want to live in the Universe where Chris Farley didn't overdose and we have his Shrek version.

I never cared much for Shrek and mostly just resent it for playing a role in killing traditional animation - goddamn was Dreamworks onto something early on, Prince of Egypt is so drat good - but was it ever planned to be traditional animation? I knew about Farley, but yeah.
Honestly, given how much of it is a riff on Disney, you'd honestly think it would be traditional animation. Or at least start that way before seguing into CG somehow or something. "Out with the old, in with the new!" and all that.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I grew up on the 80s cartoon. I don't think you can rectify how that series portrayed Optimus Prime and Bay Prime deciding to let the Decepticons destroy human cities to teach us a lesson for daring to refuse his help.
Like those movies are cryptofascist as gently caress and cryptofascism, not any kind of campy nod to the 80s cartoon, is what informs their morals and politics.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I never understood the Shrek hate. It's a simple children's movie about not judging a book by it's cover told in a slightly different way. It's corny but I mean obviously, its a childrens movie.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I never understood the Shrek hate. It's a simple children's movie about not judging a book by it's cover told in a slightly different way. It's corny but I mean obviously, its a childrens movie.
It was popular ergo bad.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
No way popular means normal and normal is the best thing one can be.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
somebody once told me,
reviews were gonna roll me.
I'm not the sharpest satire around.
I was clearly flaggin'
when a donkey hosed a dragon
and allstar was the choice for my sound.

To be clear I thought the shrek movies were fine.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I remember liking the first Shrek movie well enough and I think I saw the second one on TV at one point. They are extremely "that was ok" movies. I can't really blame them for killing traditional animation since everybody's ditched it at this point, I don't really think it was Shrek's fault.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I grew up on the 80s cartoon. I don't think you can rectify how that series portrayed Optimus Prime and Bay Prime deciding to let the Decepticons destroy human cities to teach us a lesson for daring to refuse his help.

I watched one of the later ones (whichever one had TJ Miller) and I remember thinking it was the first time I’d seen a movie that seemed like it actively hated me for watching it.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

it was inescapable in its time, just everywhere

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
I hate Shrek for all star. Specifically I hate it for stealing the theme song and pop culture space of the best superhero movie of all time, Mystery Men

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

bunnyofdoom posted:

I hate Shrek for all star. Specifically I hate it for stealing the theme song and pop culture space of the best superhero movie of all time, Mystery Men

All Star is barely in Mystery Men. Though I will agree it is a fantastic superhero movie.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

bunnyofdoom posted:

Mystery Men had already given away its pop culture space by being a massive bomb

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
Those cowards didn't even put in Flaming Carrot.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
A. The music video is for Mystery Men.
B. gently caress you all. I will die on the hill that is Mystery Men is loving amazing

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Phylodox posted:

I watched one of the later ones (whichever one had TJ Miller) and I remember thinking it was the first time I’d seen a movie that seemed like it actively hated me for watching it.

I see that you’ve never watched Alien 3 then :v:

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Icon Of Sin posted:

I see that you’ve never watched Alien 3 then :v:

All star was great in Aliens 3.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Hey now you're a Space Monk
Get your head shaved, go play

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Pentaro posted:

I will say that, as bad as the Chip and Dale movie was, Disney taking the opportunity to poo poo on that terrible CGI was funny.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Mystery Men was a quarter century ahead of its time. If it had had the opportunity to deconstruct and poo poo on superhero media the way Blazing Saddles did to the white-hat-black-hat Westerns it would have been one of the greatest movies of all time instead of merely a really fun, smart, good time.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Mystery Men is genuinely better as a superhero movie than most of the actual non-ironic superhero movies.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Blue Moonlight posted:

I will say that, as bad as the Chip and Dale movie was, Disney taking the opportunity to poo poo on that terrible CGI was funny.

Especially with that great self deprecating gag of Seth Rogen's creepy CGI Dwarf being told by live action Pumbaa (also voiced by Rogen) that he has dead creepy eyes.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Shrek Fest 2021

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It only had to be a merch maker movie, it had no business being Actually Good.
It came out 11 years after the first one, was anyone begging for a Puss In Boot sequel?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Mystery Men was a quarter century ahead of its time. If it had had the opportunity to deconstruct and poo poo on superhero media the way Blazing Saddles did to the white-hat-black-hat Westerns it would have been one of the greatest movies of all time instead of merely a really fun, smart, good time.
There was also The Specials which... OK it had some good ideas and some good moments but the title and the recurring gag behind it absolutely belongs in this thread. And oof, given the bargain basement 2000s cgi/greenscreen tech they really should not have shoehorned in a scene where they show their powers.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
No-one wants to hear about your ska band :argh:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Croccers posted:

No-one wants to hear about your ska band :argh:

True, if any 80s song has aged well it's Ghost Town.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
I mean, there were some things in Mystery Men that weren't so great (some of the camera work is kinda of it's time, and the Spleen is obnoxious), but it was very much ahead of the curve, to its unfortunate detriment re. popularity.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I do not have strong opinions on the children's movie from 22 years ago.

In case any of you were wondering.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Mystery Men ftw

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

what are people's thoughts about the first puss n' boots film? cause i absolutely hated it. in fact, i think it's my most hated dreamworks film. :barf: i'd rather watch any of the shrekses than that

BrigadierSensible posted:

Beg to loudly disagree.

That rat/squirrel/acorn loving thing shits me to no end. And I find the saccharine "we are all family" bullshit message stomach turning.

Also John Leguizamo's "Haha aren't I so wacky(tm)" character is grating from the first second and gets worse the more he is prominently featured. And I don't like the way they had to keep coming up with new ways to keep it all prehistoric, yet still moving forward in time.

Cowslips Warren posted:

as someone who liked the first Ice Age movie (haven't seen the others), i agree with all this. the movie was good, but in spite of the problems it had. and it's a great example of lovely voice casting done solely cause of star power, and not whether the voice acting fits, a huge pet peeve of mine.

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I never cared much for Shrek and mostly just resent it for playing a role in killing traditional animation

i'm no shrek defender but being fair here, pixar had as much to do with this (arguably even more) as did dreamworks. the industry saw a brand new toy and decided to go in that direction. traditional animation was screwed for a while.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Croccers posted:

Shrek Fest 2021

It came out 11 years after the first one, was anyone begging for a Puss In Boot sequel?

Antonio Banderas fans maybe. Kinda lol that it basically plays out as PG-rated Logan.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Croccers posted:

Shrek Fest 2021

I still don't understand the ending to the first puss in boots movie. Are we supposed to guess that Humpty is really a hard boiled or frozen goose egg that just happened to become sentient because the baby never hatched?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
you're not supposed to think that hard about a cartoon egg man

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Oldstench posted:

you're not supposed to think that hard about a cartoon egg man

Some of us can't stop thinking about eggman

Adbot