Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/10/22/sunday-preview-the-cities-of-sigmar-muster/

Resin Fulgrim is going up for pre-order next weekend. For those who want to giggle at 30k players misfortune at trying to assemble it later on.
Otherwise it's just AoS out the wazoo.

But we're getting to know if the rumors about the battleforce boxes are true.
...Beyond the one we already know the box shot of. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/10/22/sunday-preview-the-cities-of-sigmar-muster/

Resin Fulgrim is going up for pre-order next weekend. For those who want to giggle at 30k players misfortune at trying to assemble it later on.
Otherwise it's just AoS out the wazoo.

But we're getting to know if the rumors about the battleforce boxes are true.
...Beyond the one we already know the box shot of. :v:

The Red Gobbo Rides Again looks amusing.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Those Freeguild and the Harbinger models are amazing

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

That ogre-mounted sniper tower rules

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Ya the entire Cities of Sigmar range loving owns.

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015
I found some bike bases that I ordered last year and decided to finally finish my bike squad. It was my first time trying to create tracks in sand. I think I nailed it on the attack bike base.

I think these originally came with square cavalry bases. In this case the new bases look alot better, but generally speaking I'm hugely against the idea of having to rebase models. I rebased my IG heavy weapon teams once, I'm never doing it again.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

AndyElusive posted:

Ya the entire Cities of Sigmar range loving owns.

They'd make for a great feudal world guard regiment conversion

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

I'm upset that Al-Saqr's av isn't

Maybe even a

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Thin your realities

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

The Demilich posted:

Maybe even a

Be the change you want to see in the world.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Muir posted:

Be the change you want to see in the world.

Bruh I already made the avatar

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

The Demilich posted:

Maybe even a

Lol youre free to buy me this Av anytime you like

The Demilich posted:

Bruh I already made the avatar

I just bought the codex and some cards i aint spending 10 bux until next paycheck

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
Why do WH40k discussions often use the word "into" instead of "against"? I am not a native English speaker, but it does not seem grammatically correct.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Lol you mad devil you actually did it.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Athas posted:

Why do WH40k discussions often use the word "into" instead of "against"? I am not a native English speaker, but it does not seem grammatically correct.

I'm not against this discussion but I'm afraid I don't understand it without you getting into examples. Can you provide some?

Genuinely, I'm not sure what you mean. Can you provide an example?

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Kitchner posted:

I'm not against this discussion but I'm afraid I don't understand it without you getting into examples. Can you provide some?

Genuinely, I'm not sure what you mean. Can you provide an example?

It's currently trendy to say "Eldar into Black Templars" instead of "against" or "versus".

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Devorum posted:

It's currently trendy to say "Eldar into Black Templars" instead of "against" or "versus".

Lol with who and where?! Ive never heard or read this!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Not a linguist so can't comment on the grammar but that is just how people talk. It's an easier way of saying I played my eldar vs their black templar army. It's said all the time in both table and video games.

Also congrats to Al-Saqr on their beautiful new av. That marine is perfect.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Oct 23, 2023

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Al-Saqr posted:

Just about every YouTube channel that does
Battle reports uses it.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

Al-Saqr posted:

Here is the Reddit post I read just before asking my question, but it really shows up all the time. Originally I thought it was related to correct uses of "into", such as "charging into engagement range", but then I saw people use it for shooting or entire armies, as a replacement for "against" or "versus".

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
It's gaming slang and it's understandable in the contexts it's used in.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Athas posted:

Here is the Reddit post I read just before asking my question, but it really shows up all the time. Originally I thought it was related to correct uses of "into", such as "charging into engagement range", but then I saw people use it for shooting or entire armies, as a replacement for "against" or "versus".

It definitely reads as jargony more than natural English, feels similar to how people use "pilot" as well. "I piloted my intercession kill team into vet guard."

I imagine one competitive league or channel started it out and everyone adopted it.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Athas posted:

Ah I get you.

This is from some other gaming community that has been imported into 40K.

In pokemon you'd say "fire type into water type".

In MTG you'd say "red rush into blue control".

Thinking about it this morning I don't know where it originated from.

If you rocked up to a business meeting in the UK for example and said "Our product into theirs? We have better specs but they beat us on price" would make people ask what the gently caress you're on about.

It's some weird trendy phrase that people think makes them sound like a knowledgeable competitive player. However, what it mostly does is make someone sound like they are trying hard to sound like a knowledgeable competitive player by using trendy language instead of saying knowledgeable things.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Pilot is used in other games too, the most common one being Magic. It gives the connotation of player skill with a list being a seperate scalar of success from the list itself.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Eej posted:

Pilot is used in other games too, the most common one being Magic. It gives the connotation of player skill with a list being a seperate scalar of success from the list itself.

Yeah that's a good shout.

I think "pilot" is particularly interesting because to me it highlights an increasing disconnect from the most hyper competitive players and the models.

One of my favourite aspects of 40k is that traditionally it's "your dudes/dudettes" regardless of how unoriginal your list is.

Like me and one of my long term friends both played Guard in 5th. Yet because of the difference in paint schemes (green/tan vs black/grey) and little differences (his commander had a power fist, mine was Creed and a guy with a stick) it becomes very personal to you.

One of my friends had Sisters and a friend donated his like 10,000 points of blood angels to him. To this day they are still "Jim's blood angels". His blood angels aren't really unique, it was a bunch of scouts, assault marines, and death company. If you had played a bunch with him you'd recognise them though.

With the most competitive players these days there really does seem to be a huge disconnect from the army though. Lots of them pay other people to assemble and paint them, or they frequently run armies that belong to someone else but is the top tier army right now.

It really does make the army feel like a vehicle that can be driven by anyone rather than part of a cherished and personal collection.

The vast majority of people adopting the language online though don't do any of that, they just want to sound like a "pro player" or assume it's normal language.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Also congrats to Al-Saqr on their beautiful new av. That marine is perfect.

To be honest I really identify with the mouth foaming eye skewing rage the marine has lol.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
On the other hand the term Pilot is also used with regards to a player being uniquely suited to playing a given list. The Sisters list that won Tampa last week can be said to be unpilotable by most people for example.

An army list can be seen as an interchangeable vehicle but the other part of that comparison is that individual vehicles have their own quirks that not every person (pilot) knows how to take advantage of or work around.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
Yeah, totally see the usefulness of the term (it sort of encapsulates the idea that you can download a great list online but if you can't play it ("pilot it") well it's not any good). Just feels like it also de-personalises (is that a word?) the connection between player and army.

It makes it feel a bit like say, formula 1, where there is a driver and a car. You're combining a person with a "thing" that theoretically anyone can just jump in and whiz around the track, albeit maybe not as well. Or alternatively, you can have jump in the car and whiz around the track much faster. This is of course true in a mechanical sense, but I guess misses a sense of ownership and connection between the toy soldiers and the person who lovingly put them together and painted them, and has a history with them.

Probably also compounded by the fact there's very few top players these days who only play (or nearly only play) one faction. They all jump about maybe 3/4 factions.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
You make a very funny comparison because Formula 1 cars are very much especially tweaked and built around the team's drivers! I don't really think the de-personalized analogy works because a lot of pros will just use units they like in their lists anyway rather than what is like, mathematically superior option.

To bring it back to the Sisters list that won Tampa, not only did the player beat some of the best players in America he did it with a list that looks like you just picked your favourite units and slapped them together. It doesn't help that his army list has custom names for every unit including a pair of Mortifiers called The Feral and the Fool and the Paragon squad called the Cog Breakers. That's as personal as you can get!

Eej fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Oct 23, 2023

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Yeah I think its more interesting than me complaining about it!

It is kind of funny in that "pilot" in this nomenclature gives more agency to the player, x "into" y sort of makes an opposing team feel more static.

It is always so fascinating to see high level conversations about games develop their own teminology and style and also when you have something like 40k and kill team there's less distance between casual and competative that I imagine that facilitates a lot more crossover in terminology.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Is there any viable way to do World Eaters without World Eaters? Just a Daemon Prince, Jakhals, Daemon Engines, and allied Daemons?

I'm having fun converting Corpse Grinders for Necromunda, and it occurred to me that enough of them could make an army. But maybe a stupid one.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth
I agree that "into" is confusing for people who are outside of the competitive scene, which means that it's at least part the kind of language that develops to show an in-group.

The one thing I'd say that makes sense to me for why to use it is that it makes it clear who is playing which army. If you say "Astartes vs Aelderi is hard" or something like that, it's more ambiguous which one is you. "Astartes into Aelderi" is clearer.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Eej posted:

You make a very funny comparison because Formula 1 cars are very much especially tweaked and built around the team's drivers! I don't really think the de-personalized analogy works because a lot of pros will just use units they like in their lists anyway rather than what is like, mathematically superior option.

To bring it back to the Sisters list that won Tampa, not only did the player beat some of the best players in America he did it with a list that looks like you just picked your favourite units and slapped them together. It doesn't help that his army list has custom names for every unit including a pair of Mortifiers called The Feral and the Fool and the Paragon squad called the Cog Breakers. That's as personal as you can get!

I take the point on the car, but as completely non-F1 person I guess I don't really see the car as personal to the driver. Maybe there's a better analogy.

The sisters list though really is an exception that proves the rule though. That's really cool because its so rare. Mani, Navanti, or Sigeler for example will just switch between armies and share armies with the people in their teams etc.

Maybe it's just a perception thing, but it definetly feels like the old approach was like there was the best T'au player and they pretty much mostly or only played T'au and they had their own army which the probably made and painted themselves. These days it feels like it's "teams" of pro players with "brands" they are trying to establish and it's more about them and the pieces they move around the board are sort of incidental, they will be whatever wins the most.

There are exceptions, but that's not the norm. Then this passes down to a certain type of player who mimics what the top tier players do and say.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

Notahippie posted:

The one thing I'd say that makes sense to me for why to use it is that it makes it clear who is playing which army. If you say "Astartes vs Aelderi is hard" or something like that, it's more ambiguous which one is you. "Astartes into Aelderi" is clearer.

In context you would say "playing Astartes vs Aeldari is hard", which I don't think is ambiguous.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Work in progress on my Terminator Warsmith. Leviathan terminator captain is the base model, obliterator right arm and chaos terminator left arm, primaries techmarine head, plus other bits and bobs. Belt buckle is a poorly uv resin cast warpsmith kneepad made with blue stuff, I'll probably remake it. Load out will be power fist and combi weapon. Any thoughts or critiques?

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Kitchner posted:

I take the point on the car, but as completely non-F1 person I guess I don't really see the car as personal to the driver. Maybe there's a better analogy.

The sisters list though really is an exception that proves the rule though. That's really cool because its so rare. Mani, Navanti, or Sigeler for example will just switch between armies and share armies with the people in their teams etc.

Maybe it's just a perception thing, but it definetly feels like the old approach was like there was the best T'au player and they pretty much mostly or only played T'au and they had their own army which the probably made and painted themselves. These days it feels like it's "teams" of pro players with "brands" they are trying to establish and it's more about them and the pieces they move around the board are sort of incidental, they will be whatever wins the most.

There are exceptions, but that's not the norm. Then this passes down to a certain type of player who mimics what the top tier players do and say.

I am not a competitive 40k player but I am for Infinity (in a limited way, it has a much much smaller competitive scene and doesn't have that caste of professional or semi-professional players travelling round the top events). I think that approach, where good players are willing to rotate through armies, is intrinsic to people really understanding the game and approaching it as a game, rather than a narrative exercise where you roleplay one side. If you understand movement, or picking shooting targets, or selecting and completing your objectives, in the base rules, then you start to view all the pieces in terms of how they achieve that. You will also understand other factions better by virtue of constantly playing against them. So it's less of a leap to just play everything. I agree the old casual, faction-fan player approach is very rare among top players, but I can see why that is. It's not an analytical approach to the game.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Super Waffle posted:

Work in progress on my Terminator Warsmith. Leviathan terminator captain is the base model, obliterator right arm and chaos terminator left arm, primaries techmarine head, plus other bits and bobs. Belt buckle is a poorly uv resin cast warpsmith kneepad made with blue stuff, I'll probably remake it. Load out will be power fist and combi weapon. Any thoughts or critiques?

Absolutely sick conversion and I love the parts. Is it possible to raise his right elbow and bring it out a bit so it's more like he is winding up a punch? Looks a little bit like he is just holding his fist down, but perpendicular to his body at the moment. Should be simple to just rotate his arm out and fill in under the shoulder with greenstuff, then score it in lines so it looks like that armour-joint ribbing SM have.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/10/23/warhammer-40000-battleforces-six-awesome-boxed-sets-to-kickstart-your-winter-season/

The 40k Battleforces has been reveal.
And it's pretty much what the rumors a while back said about the contents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

I really wish I had been playing last year so I could have gotten the thousand sons box. I dont really need either tyranid or space marine boxes this yew ar, but I could take a 2nd horn and make the tyrant into a swarmlord.