Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
tbh if he appeals he should win because there's no chance it was intentional

won't, but should

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

bawfuls posted:

At the rate my avatar is getting changed, it doesn’t feel worth it for me to change it myself.

Intruder posted:

you're welcome

even kept the same text :v:
the system works!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Wait. Did you buy the drag queen kershaw hating one yourself

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I’m kinda jealous, I haven’t made someone mad enough to waste :10bux: on my av since Portal 2 came out

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

zoux posted:

Wait. Did you buy the drag queen kershaw hating one yourself
my avatar has changed 4 times this month and I did none of them

they change so frequently that if I just wait long enough, eventually i'll get a good one

the system works

it's kinda like the Dodgers' approach to October baseball

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Oct 22, 2023

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’m kinda jealous, I haven’t made someone mad enough to waste :10bux: on my av since Portal 2 came out

start watching wwe and posting about it, you'll get a saudi arabia av in no time

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Sydin posted:

Nice good luck, I'm making pan de cristal to go along with tonight's stew which is always fun because it's like five hours of work before I even know if the dough's gonna cooperate with me or not. :v:

In baseball news this Kyle Schwarber guy seems pretty good, surely he must have been highly coveted throughout his entire career and never dumped for nothing by a team of cheapskates!

https://twitter.com/SlangsOnSports/status/1715908584473505935

very good chance they break that record if they get to the ws and it goes more than four games

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

e: what are we looking at here? can't be dongs in a postseason, it's impossible to play 20 games in a single postseason

e2: nevermind that's the pandemic year where there were 16 playoff teams

bawfuls posted:

my avatar has changed 4 times this month and I did none of them

they change so frequently that if I just wait long enough, eventually i'll get a good one

the system works

it's kinda like the Dodgers' approach to October baseball

The most interesting one was the weird homophobic one where as soon as we pointed it out the text changed to "no it's kershaw who's homophobic"

Intruder fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Oct 22, 2023

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

MrMidnight posted:

Love that pic of him. "Yep. Just hit another one"

that's his face every time he hits one of those no-doubter moonshots, and it rules. it's this mix of "another day at the office" and "it's an absolute shame what i had to do to that ball"

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Toaster Beef posted:

that's his face every time he hits one of those no-doubter moonshots, and it rules. it's this mix of "another day at the office" and "it's an absolute shame what i had to do to that ball"

That upper deck home run he hit in San Diego last year was amazing. No one had ever hit it there, and they've hosted a Home Run Derby.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Who’d have thought that all it would take to unlock Schwarb’s full potential was to escape the Cubs

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Who’d have thought that all it would take to unlock Schwarb’s full potential was to escape the Cubs

True, impossible to think of Big Schwarb blasting huge playoff ding shots as a cub

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/danielle_lerner/status/1716195248794140988

This is nuts

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I wish the MLB would just own up to them being in the wrong on this one. Abreu has never had that rep and it makes absolutely no sense to hit him. If Garcia didn't act like a massive man child about it (which absolutely cost them the game via icing the closer, good job dumbass) and took the base it would be a non story. Abreu gets massive boos from the home crowd, Garcia pumps everyone up and the Rangers are up 3-2.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1715857752776712610

Well that’s a new one on me. I guess that means g1 and g2 of the WS if we make it. Not sure about a possible g7.

Serioisly I’ve never heard of an expedited appeal for this purpose

I think the NHL does the same for playoff offenses

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
The only reason Leclerc got iced is because Dusty sat his old fuckin rear end in the dugout and refused to leave because he knew exactly what he was doing

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Pressly could've taken an hour to warm up if he wanted to, Leclerc was getting iced

Maybe chapman could've gotten another out so you don't have your closer splitting innings.

zoux fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Oct 22, 2023

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

zoux posted:

Maybe chapman could've gotten another out

I'm reporting this post

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Big Mean Jerk posted:

He won a World Series with the Cubs and had an OBP of .500 during it :thunk:

R.D. Mangles posted:

True, impossible to think of Big Schwarb blasting huge playoff ding shots as a cub

https://twitter.com/Cubs/status/654392489072271360

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

bawfuls posted:

I'd say Astros posters bringing up The Cans Year unprompted are trolling themselves more than me, but sure

I used your cert like 4 avatars ago, when Definitely Not Sab bought me something that I can't remember now

I've taken credit for all of my art.

It was just two tho. The hot dog guy and the playsheet from game 5.

You got the new ones just through being yourself

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Mine was still the best

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Bregor posted:

Mine was still the best

Disagree.

I really enjoyed Bawfuls posting about being incredulous at the state of sign stealing discourse

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

We are now legally obligated to buy bawfuls at least one avatar each.

Mine isn't due until December so someone else will have to cover in a couple of weeks.

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe
Lone Star Series has absolutely delivered

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Dusty PHing Singleton instead of literally anyone else likely cost us that game. Then you follow it up with Montero loading the bases and bailing and you have a nearly perfect case study for why Espada should be managing this team instead.

I hate being the kind of poster that goes hard on “[our manager] cost us the game!” poo poo since it’s often nonsense, but I just do not understand Dusty’s thinking tonight.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Singleton scared LeClerc so bad last game he got walked, I'd have thrown him in there tonight too

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Shinjobi posted:

Singleton scared LeClerc so bad last game he got walked, I'd have thrown him in there tonight too

he got walked because leclerc had to sit there for like 20 minutes while the umps sorted out the "brawl"

it's funny they're always called brawls when 99% of the time it's just dudes standing around

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Dusty PHing Singleton instead of literally anyone else likely cost us that game. Then you follow it up with Montero loading the bases and bailing and you have a nearly perfect case study for why Espada should be managing this team instead.

I hate being the kind of poster that goes hard on “[our manager] cost us the game!” poo poo since it’s often nonsense, but I just do not understand Dusty’s thinking tonight.

Matchups are manager brain poison. I'd wager if you secret balloted them to ask "RHP on the mound, bases loaded, two outs. Would you rather stick with your RHH who's OPS'ing .900 or PH a LHH who's OPS'ing .650, irrespective of defensive implications?" an embarrassing number of them would vote for going to the PH to get the matchup advantage.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Isn’t Eovaldi like one of the only three or four two-Tommy John success stories?

I haven’t been watching too much of this and I’m sure if he is, the announcers have talked about it.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

There have been a ton of guys who came back from Tommy John and had success at this point

Hell, one of the horror stories is that high school players get pre-emptive TJ even if they don't necessarily need it

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Intruder posted:

There have been a ton of guys who came back from Tommy John and had success at this point

Hell, one of the horror stories is that high school players get pre-emptive TJ even if they don't necessarily need it

Eovaldi has had 2. That's the success story

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

oh I didn't see the two part lol my bad

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Honestly even 2 isn't a big deal nowadays.

The one you have to worry about is the one Matt Harvey had... Forget the name off hand. I've never seen a pitcher get close to where they were pre surgery and usually they just flame out from the recovery, done with MLB for good.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Thoracic outlet

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

The recovery rate on elbows is solid enough these days

Shoulders are the real kiss of death

Rangers starting Scherzer tomorrow, hang on to your butts

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Oct 23, 2023

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
It will be either a nail biter or a quick death

No in between

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

MrMojok posted:

Isn’t Eovaldi like one of the only three or four two-Tommy John success stories?

I haven’t been watching too much of this and I’m sure if he is, the announcers have talked about it.

Other guys, like Taillon and Clevinger, have come back but Eovaldi's the best case scenario so far.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Some Numbers posted:

Thoracic outlet

Yeah TOS is the real career killer for pitchers. Harvey and Archer are the two high profile examples I can think of in former aces who had TOS surgery and immediately became shells of their former selves.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

N: the Astros are 7-21 in their last 28 at home including 2-8 against the Royals and A's and 1-4 in the playoffs

V: Is the Astrodome ready for some playoff baseball??? At least bring back the fuckin trash cans. Need something here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Sab0921 posted:

N: the Astros are 7-21 in their last 28 at home including 2-8 against the Royals and A's and 1-4 in the playoffs

V: Is the Astrodome ready for some playoff baseball??? At least bring back the fuckin trash cans. Need something here.

The Astros have spent so much time playing against hostile crowds they don't know how to perform at home where they get support. That's my theory and I can't be convinced otherwise.