Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Sphyre posted:

so are motorcycles leftist or not

Still contributes to climate change

Doesn't take up as much space as a car

Motorcycles are centrist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

gradenko_2000 posted:

Still contributes to climate change

Doesn't take up as much space as a car

Motorcycles are centrist

Flavortown is a fifteen‐minute city.

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 07:12 on Oct 23, 2023

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

carmageddon rapist rear end mf

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I don't have access to a motorbike at this time, so I am unable to do so. You'll either have to take my word for it or not, but when some dickhead parked their motorbike in such a way as to completely block access to the bike racks at my old flat, I moved it out of the way so I could put my bike away. It wasn't difficult.

I don't know anything about motorbikes so I can't tell you what kind it was, but it looked to me like a normal, average motorbike. Certainly not one of the smaller ones, or a particularly big one. I'll grant you that some of the bigger ones are probably much harder to shift.

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe
Lift up off the stand, clutch in, push. The clutch on some bikes will be kinda draggy if they're cold, but you can always kick it into neutral. You can move everything from a Grom to a Goldwing this way.

Motorcycles are cool, but I park mine in the garage because that's where they go. Sidewalk bike should be rammed by the stroller until it tips over into the lawn.

500excf type r posted:

The context is specifically about commuting to work hth

Gotta get some of those sweet EU scooters like the TMAX. Also, having an interstate commute to work sounds nightmarish

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

My car insurance has doubled in the past year. I barely drive and have no infractions or accidents.

I hate cars.

One weird trick to avoid this is to not own a car. I have bought so much garden, bike and kids crap with the money I don't spend on a car.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Weembles posted:

I can't find the original article, but I read about an experiment where children were ask to draw maps of their towns. The ones who lived in places where they could get around on their own on foot or by bike had detailed maps with cross streets and landmarks. The one who were driven everywhere just had major locations like their home and school linked by vague ideas of the roads between them.

So cars literally affect our mental geography.

I own like 12 cars and I can draw a pretty decent topographic map of the hill most if them are in so I presume cars make you smarter

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Fats posted:

Lift up off the stand, clutch in, push. The clutch on some bikes will be kinda draggy if they're cold, but you can always kick it into neutral. You can move everything from a Grom to a Goldwing this way.

Motorcycles are cool, but I park mine in the garage because that's where they go. Sidewalk bike should be rammed by the stroller until it tips over into the lawn.

Gotta get some of those sweet EU scooters like the TMAX. Also, having an interstate commute to work sounds nightmarish

The front wheel is locked so you are only going to push it in an awkward circle.

You can just push the bike onto the kickstand and get the tires off the ground and then pivot the bike around on the kickstand pretty easily but touching a stranger's motorcycle without permission is a pretty big no-no, even if it is parked on the sidewalk.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Fitzy Fitz posted:

It's a beautiful fall day, so I walked to the grocery store and broke in my new sandals a bit (Bedrock Cairns, they are amazing).
Those look loving horrid. An excellent job.

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

leftism is when you break poo poo instead of engaging in community building, goons ftw
"Don't start poo poo but take none either" also counts for my disabled friends.

FirstnameLastname posted:

just ask them to move it if you need them to move it

they will not mind unless they're like genuine assholes and will always prefer to move it rather than have someone else do it
No one gets a warning, we shoot to kill 'round these parts.

you do see that there's plenty of space to the side of it in the grass for foot traffic and that it's infront of a steep hill right
Ah yes, it's the strollers and wheelchairs that should get off the sidewalk, not the motorbike parking. You are a genius.

Mister Speaker posted:

Tons of e-scooters and e-bikes zipping around on sidewalks and stopping in front of restaurants across the whole sidewalk, though. I'm still not about to knock one over, but I'm certainly not above telling the driver they're a dumbass and folding their mirror in like I've had to do with so many cars parked on the sidewalk.
LOL those get yeeted into the street.

mawarannahr posted:

lotta words getting mad about hypothetical property crimes. I see a limebike in the way im pushing that poo poo into a puddle.
✌️

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

edit: I did actually read it this time and wholeheartedly agree
no one cares what your rear end thinks, HTH. Keep your poo poo off the sidewalk, or else.

people modify their bikes to be loud and you notice those ones and don't notice the ones that have proper mufflers and silencers and are quiet
Brah it's every single loving one. Even in europe the legal sound pressure limit looks like it's 10+dB higher for bikes.

evil_bunnY has issued a correction as of 13:22 on Oct 23, 2023

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

evil_bunnY posted:

Those look loving horrid. An excellent job.

They are as functional as they are hideous and became my favorite shoe the moment I put them on.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

500excf type r posted:

The context is specifically about commuting to work hth

Jobs, famously only located along interstates in America

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Jobs, famously only located along interstates in America

yeah the united states is famously disconnected by design and people commute ridiculous distances and times to get to jobs

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

BonHair posted:

One weird trick to avoid this is to not own a car. I have bought so much garden, bike and kids crap with the money I don't spend on a car.

Strongly considering it, though I do like hiking which does generally require owning a car or frequent renting.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

500excf type r posted:

yeah the united states is famously disconnected by design and people commute ridiculous distances and times to get to jobs

Suburbanites will tell you they love their lifestyle and then do this, twice a day, every day: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgO0tgWNWYs

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

500excf type r posted:

Oh, I see. The commuting version of "Texas is very big so we shouldn't build passenger rail anywhere" argument.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

500excf type r posted:

this is why you need a Harley??

500excf type r posted:

A 125cc two stroke scooter is not really compatible with the average american's commute to work, today, in the present world.

In fact, the types of motorcycles made for american roadways, today in 2023, are designed around 55-75mph performance for cruising and passing.
neither is a motorcycle compatible with living, but it sounds like the 73 mph speed of one of the most popular 125 cc models would be just fine. guessing you're just scared people will think you're a wuss without your loud pipes.

mawarannahr has issued a correction as of 15:56 on Oct 23, 2023

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Weembles posted:

Oh, I see. The commuting version of "Texas is very big so we shouldn't build passenger rail anywhere" argument.

what lol are you just making things up to get mad at?

A 125cc two stroke scooter is not really compatible with the average american's commute to work, today, in the present world.

In fact, the types of motorcycles made for american roadways, today in 2023, are designed around 55-75mph performance for cruising and passing.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
cars are cops

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

mawarannahr posted:

this is why you need a Harley??

neither is a motorcycle compatible with living, but it sounds like the 73 mph speed of one of the most popular 125 cc models would be just fine. guessing you're just scared people will think you're a wuss without your loud pipes.

I don't know what you are googling but the practical top end of basically any 125cc is going to be 50mph. plenty for city driving, rough on a highway, no chance on an interstate

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

Strongly considering it, though I do like hiking which does generally require owning a car or frequent renting.

Yeah, if you live in a shithole country with no public infrastructure.

I recommend doing the math on owning a car vs taking taxis when you would need a car.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

500excf type r posted:

Vehicles aren't driven by the mathematical average of every person in the USA. Many people do have commutes where smaller vehicles work fine.

In any case, basing an argument around "this is the way things are now" isn't a great tactic in a thread whose premise is that the way things are now sucks rear end.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Weembles posted:

Vehicles aren't driven by the mathematical average of every person in the USA. Many people do have commutes where smaller vehicles work fine.

In any case, basing an argument around "this is the way things are now" isn't a great tactic in a thread whose premise is that the way things are now sucks rear end.

the context of the entire discussion was the material reality we presently live in, not some imaginationland where everything can be perfect

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

I don't know what you are googling but the practical top end of basically any 125cc is going to be 50mph. plenty for city driving, rough on a highway, no chance on an interstate
this is the bestselling scooter pretty much anywhere:
"118 km/h (73 mph) (2018 model)[5]"

sounds like you got skill issues :shrug:

500excf type r posted:

the context of the entire discussion was the material reality we presently live in, not some imaginationland where everything can be perfect

the American material reality we live in isn't really compatible with motorcyclists living in it. in fact, the faster motorcycle you have the more likely you are to die. man up and use a scooter if you want two wheels.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Scooters are loud and obnoxious though, get an electric or an ebike at least, or just a regular bike

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

500excf type r posted:

Yes, but on average people are talking about a perfect world so that means you have to talk about it too.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

more cc means it’s easier for me to tip over

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ILY5tleMpc
Motos are great because of the space efficiency and excitement that comes with the risk of injury

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

500excf type r posted:

my brother in christ I implore you to look up the average US car trip length.

BonHair posted:

Scooters are loud and obnoxious though, get an electric or an ebike at least, or just a regular bike
e-scooters are great except they'll 100%, no-take-backsies turn you into a loving hooligan.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
it would be very easy for me to take a bike to work if it weren't for all the car infrastructure in the way

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

evil_bunnY posted:

my brother in christ I implore you to look up the average US car trip length.

e-scooters are great except they'll 100%, no-take-backsies turn you into a loving hooligan.

Department of labor says its 30 minutes by car, 50 minutes by public transportation, 75-90% of people commute by personal vehicle.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

500excf type r posted:

Department of labor says its 30 minutes by car, 50 minutes by public transportation, 75-90% of people commute by personal vehicle.

we should make the second number lower imo

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

again, you cannot just move a parked motorcycle by hand that's a 400 lb piece of machinery with its rear wheel locked, any person who doesn't know what they're doing trying to move it will most likely drop it on its side trying to shimmy it, now there's a motorcycle laying on its side in the sidewalk and its even harder to get past.

Pretty sure if you look, you'll see that if you just shove to the right, it'll be off the sidewalk and there won't be any grass or anything where people need to walk, bing bang boom so easy.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

we should make the second number lower imo

hard agree, I was talking to a friend an hour ago and he is on his way to a doctors appointment. 3.1 miles from his apartment, 1 hour and 35 minutes on public transportation

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

it would be very easy for me to take a bike to work if it weren't for all the car infrastructure in the way

I stopped biking to work because my only route option is a pretty busy stroad and I found that I was always starting my day angry at everything. Now I walk instead and I'm chill AF when I arrive at the office in the morning because usually no one tried to kill me on my way to work.

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe

500excf type r posted:

The front wheel is locked so you are only going to push it in an awkward circle.

Maybe, I guess personally I never use the fork lock and I'm guessing Mr. Sidewalk doesn't either, but I could be wrong. My last couple bikes had electronic ones and I don't even know how to engage them :v:

I rode my bicycle to work this morning for a ~mandatory~ meeting, and it was nice. Two wheels are cool and fun

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

withak posted:

I stopped biking to work because my only route option is a pretty busy stroad and I found that I was always starting my day angry at everything. Now I walk instead and I'm chill AF when I arrive at the office in the morning because usually no one tried to kill me on my way to work.

Walking is much more calming than my bike commute as well. I try to do both.

Apr 7, 2003

500excf type r posted:

3/4ths of all car trips in the US are ten miles or less. nearly 60% of them are less than six miles.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Fats posted:

Maybe, I guess personally I never use the fork lock and I'm guessing Mr. Sidewalk doesn't either, but I could be wrong. My last couple bikes had electronic ones and I don't even know how to engage them :v:

I rode my bicycle to work this morning for a ~mandatory~ meeting, and it was nice. Two wheels are cool and fun

I should have more mandatory bicycle meetings at work.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

3/4ths of all car trips in the US are ten miles or less. nearly 60% of them are less than six miles.

cool whats that have to do with commuting to work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

most people don't need to get on an interstate freeway to commute to work if 3/4ths of all car trips are ten miles or less

I don't think I've ever had to get on an interstate to commute to work in my entire life, come to think of it