Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Speaking of World of Horror, Fangamer has some cute merch:
https://www.fangamer.com/collections/world-of-horror

There's also Silent Hill:
https://www.fangamer.com/collections/silent-hill

I have a plush Robbie the Rabbit and I love him to death. :hai: I posed him to point ominously when someone enters the room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

That desk mat just makes me wonder where the Tokyo drifts are in-game.

It's cute stuff, especially the dog shop tote, but unfortunately I am of the age, gender, and ethnicity where wearing black clothes with Japanese schoolgirls on them gets you side eyed.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

I like the mug

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

CuddleCryptid posted:

It's cute stuff, especially the dog shop tote, but unfortunately I am of the age, gender, and ethnicity where wearing black clothes with Japanese schoolgirls on them gets you side eyed.

Rough life...thank the stars I'm a girl

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Is Evil Dead worth £16 on Xbox?

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
Played the Alan Wake Fortnite Flashback experience. Really not necessary or interesting, it's just a cutscene compilation with Nintendo Wii graphics. Really not sure what they were going for besides "oh hey our publishers made Fortnite let's do something in Fortnite"

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Can Alan do a Fortnite dance? That's the only reason I'm curious about it at all.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Orb Crabmelt posted:

• some of the unlockable stuff behind achievements can really help a run, so even if you think you're going to fail a run, try knocking out some achievements.
All these tips are great, but this, especially, is worth accentuating. Some of the unlocks rule, and they can include everything from characters to spells to new Old Gods.

Also, while you're learning the ropes, Aiko the Swimmer with the the Towering Eye as your Old God is a good combo. Aiko's got a very straight-forward combat strategy of "get a good DEX weapon and pump stats into it", powerful and easy-to-grasp perks, and isn't terribly put out by not getting to use spells. And aside from a few random events or niche situations, if you don't use spells at all, the Eye's drawback doesn't matter. If you can't find a good DEX weapon on your own, the shop often sells a Steak Knife.

This one is a bit more of a spoiler, but consider rerolling your Mysteries until you get Eerie Episode of Evolving Eels, getting Ending A gives you the best ally in the game for the rest of the run.

Edit: And easy weapons for the other stats unfortunately come from unlocks or are luck or mystery-dependent.
Strength: The Wooden Bat from the second locker in School Scissors is a guaranteed drop, and the Hardware Store sells several, my personal favorite being the Carpenter Hammer.
Perception: Most guns use Perception even when wielded as melee weapons, and you can also buy a combat knife from the Illegal Store, though it's a little expensive.
Knowledge: The Ritual Dagger from the Occult Store or the Scalpel from the Pharmacy, both cost 3 Funds.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Oct 20, 2023

al-azad
May 28, 2009

In the spirit of the season I played Lamentum and Stasis.

Stasis is kind of prime eurojank. They’re a South African studio but it has the civvie approved model of too ambitious for its budget and philosophical discussions but it doesn’t really do much with its premise. Amazing atmosphere and some really intense scenes (that surgery scene god drat) but I could’ve used clearer hotspots and far fewer text logs. Good, 7/10 experience recommended for intense body horror.

Lamentum I feel people slept on this one. 2D 18th century Silent Hill with all the gross meat world imagery you would expect. I can’t talk it up too much because it follows the formula of exploring a haunted mansion, but it’s a game that doesn’t really hold your hand and that level of letting the player explore its world space kept me glued to the screen. A perfect Steam deck game.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
Lakeview Cabin 2 is out, it's a full release, AND there's a demo!

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

I just spent entirely too much on pins because I clicked the link and never learn.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I tried World of Horror as the occultist girl and managed to steak knife, memory suppress, and regenerate my way to victory my first try playing the game. At 98% Doom. Would Arkham Junji Ito again, very fun.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I'm surprised they didn't add any new gods for 1.0 tbh.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Having both Extract Memories and Regeneration from like, case 1 was an absolute godsend. Sure, I missed out on gaining at least one level, but I also didn't die.

Hibbloes
Jun 9, 2007
Yo

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I'm surprised they didn't add any new gods for 1.0 tbh.

biggest changes:
four new mysteries, bringing new events and enemies
two new characters with their own set of new upgrades
two new OLD GODS
save/load system, that will FINALLY allow you to take a break without losing any progress
additional translations of the game, including Japanese, Chinese (traditional), Chinese (simplified), Korean, French and German.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Hibbloes posted:

biggest changes:
four new mysteries, bringing new events and enemies
two new characters with their own set of new upgrades
two new OLD GODS
save/load system, that will FINALLY allow you to take a break without losing any progress
additional translations of the game, including Japanese, Chinese (traditional), Chinese (simplified), Korean, French and German.

Oh. Huh, guess you gotta unlock them. How?

Hibbloes
Jun 9, 2007
Yo

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I have no idea, myself. perusing the spoilers discord hasnt given any info. presumably this will all spill out in the next few weeks.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

new old gods will be rebranded as Gods Classic due to consumer feedback

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
In World of Horror I finished the Mimi challenge on my second try (first ended in the lighthouse from DOOM) because I finally started throwing some dodges into my combat turns.

It was very amusing the first time I tried it because the menu just says you need to do an "experiment" before every mystery, not letting on that the experiments in question were stuff like remove a kneecap or give yourself a partial lobotomy lol

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Buck Wildman posted:

new old gods will be rebranded as Gods Classic due to consumer feedback

Horror Games Megathread: New Old Gods to be rebranded "Gods Classic"

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Ibram Gaunt posted:

IIRC, one comes from getting seven(?) wins and the other comes from winning with the new character you unlock by having both baseball bats at the same time?

I’ll check when I get to a computer.

Edit: Yeah, I was right. ZHECTAST (the Radiation God) is unlocked by winning seven times, and EL-ZHAL (the Sorrow-Eater) is unlocked by winning with one of the new characters, Yumiko.

Said new character is actually a lot of fun, she has low base stats but starts with a bat that’s a decent STR weapon that also gives +2 Luck.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Oct 22, 2023

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Thanks!

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I’m looking forward to the new Alone in the Dark which I plan to play by myself at night with the lights off

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Same, too bad it got delayed

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
So I bounced off RE8 although I'll probably try to play it again next week, so I loaded up Black Mesa. I got it when it came out but it had graphical glitches and there was a whole section of the game where the default lighting just got all hosed up and the only way to see anything was crank the gamma way up and that sucks because I don't want to play a whitewashed game. I had forgotten that while this isn't really considered a horror game it certainly has a lot of jump scares and creepy atmosphere to it. The original Half-Life has some flaws but it's still one of my favorite games of all time so I thought I'd experience it in 4K

I was really enjoying it up until I to the end of the Surface Tension chapter and then it just randomly crashed and now none of my saves load. I keep going further back in the save game list and every time I try to load anything the game just crashes again. Anyone know if there's anything I can do? I really don't want to try starting from the beginning of that chapter. It's really long and really annoying

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Meowywitch posted:

Same, too bad it got delayed

Can we get it un-delayed?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

There's something totally hilarious about how pistol-whipping things without ever finding a bullet carried the Yakuza through his entire quest vs. the Ancient One.

I have gotten so many Japanese investigators killed, but I've won twice now!

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

mutantIke posted:

Played the Alan Wake Fortnite Flashback experience. Really not necessary or interesting, it's just a cutscene compilation with Nintendo Wii graphics. Really not sure what they were going for besides "oh hey our publishers made Fortnite let's do something in Fortnite"

There's a Goon Fortnite discord if you are interested in playing with goons.
https://discord.com/invite/HabbeNUW

Slightly more on topic. Here is the Five Nights at Freddy's Halloween costume I made my son.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

RodShaft posted:

There's a Goon Fortnite discord if you are interested in playing with goons.
https://discord.com/invite/HabbeNUW

Slightly more on topic. Here is the Five Nights at Freddy's Halloween costume I made my son.

That rules.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
I fixed the Black Mesa problem. I just had to keep going far back enough in my saves that they weren't corrupted somehow

This game rules but my complaints are the same as always. Too much time spent crawling through vents and pipes, and too many places where sometimes it's hard to figure out where to go

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
I loved Black Mesa
I want to say that it didn't need to be as long as it was, but my memories of OG HL aren't good enough for me to know exactly how faithful it was being.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Danknificent posted:

I loved Black Mesa
I want to say that it didn't need to be as long as it was, but my memories of OG HL aren't good enough for me to know exactly how faithful it was being.

It's pretty faithful until Xen and then it's completely different but imho way better

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Elephant Ambush posted:

It's pretty faithful until Xen and then it's completely different but imho way better

iirc the original mod release covered everything but Xen and came out in 2012.

The first release with Xen was in 2019. They definitely took the time to polish things as much as possible.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I think Xen is, while certainly an improvement on the original in many ways, about 2-3 times as long as it should be. There's a lot of repeated conveyance steps and setpieces/concepts that shoulda been scrapped because they didn't work well; the semi-functioning garg chase and the interminable gonarch level both stand out, but there's a lot of other points with similar issues.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
How is the Blair witch 2019 game? Its on steam sale for $5.99

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

WHY BONER NOW posted:

How is the Blair witch 2019 game? Its on steam sale for $5.99

How comfortable are you with watching and hearing a dog suffer?

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Eh that doesn't sound very appealing tbh

Edit: like if its a single cutscene I could get through it, but if if happens constantly throughout the game, no thanks

WHY BONER NOW fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Oct 23, 2023

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Eh that doesn't sound very appealing tbh

Edit: like if its a single cutscene I could get through it, but if if happens constantly throughout the game, no thanks

It doesn't happen frequently though (end-game sequence non-plot spoiler) there's a lengthy sequence near the end where I had to mute the game because the sound of a whimpering, wounded dog plays for quite some time as you carry them.

Spoiler regarding a choice in that section: the dog will survive based on what you do

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Hmm, that sounds manageable...my concern was if it's gratuitous or needlessly cruel. But that description gives me a little confidence. I'll give it a try for the price, thanks guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Civ 6 is also on sale for a low price fyi