Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Biggest disappointment of 2023?
The Dallas Cowboys (gently caress 'em)
The New York Giants
The Philadephia Eagles
The Washington Washingtons
Myself for watching NFC East Clownball
View Results

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Took my girl out for our anniversary and we get home to this + she didn't know it was kelly green day and she's so happy (and me :-])

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Fly

Eagles

Fly

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Man, are the Dolphins and Bills the same as the Cowboys where they just pants lovely teams (except the cardinals I guess)

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Giants are allowed to commit whatever penalties they want on the Commanders

The Eagles get ref help and leprochaun luck

The Commanders are irrelevant

gently caress the cowboys

epic bacon
Sep 19, 2022

Quiet Feet posted:

Fly

Refs

Fly

Sex_Marxist
Dec 14, 2016

I LOVE MY DEAD GAY SON
Refs just thought the Kelly green looked too drat good, and they were right and correct

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Why is everyone MrLogan all of a sudden?

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.
EAGLES FRAUD STATUS: NOT

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Best the eagles have played this year

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Eagles + Refs + Buttpush = SUPER BOWL, baby

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

blarzgh posted:

Philly offense is probably better than it looks

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Philly's offense is highly reliant on AJ Brown being a thunderous god of strength

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

:hmmyes:

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Doltos posted:

Philly's offense is highly reliant on AJ Brown being a thunderous god of strength

in this iteration yes, but we also have a guy named Devonta Smith. I don't think the offense falls apart if AJ misses a game.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish
I just hate the fuckin' eagles, man.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They were pretty dominant last night. Hope the injuries stay manageable

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Weren’t all the Eagles fans lining up to jump off a cliff last week? Lol

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Cartoon Man posted:

that cliff ain't going anywhere and there's always next week

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Cartoon Man posted:

mmm let's see how things feel in like six weeks when the eagles have faced the bills, chiefs, and niners. and cowboys. twice.

there's a very feasible reality where the eagles go from 6-1 to 7-5 in no time at all.

but then again i had the dolphins penciled in as a loss, so ... who knows. i think we're going to find out a whole lot about where the top teams in the league actually stand in the next month or so.

Toaster Beef fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Oct 23, 2023

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Can’t predict much this year with the parity. It’s coming down to injuries which are week to week

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Toaster Beef posted:

mmm let's see how things feel in like six weeks when the eagles have faced the bills, chiefs, and niners. and cowboys. twice.

there's a very feasible reality where the eagles go from 6-1 to 7-5 in no time at all.

but then again i had the dolphins penciled in as a loss, so ... who knows. i think we're going to find out a whole lot about where the top teams in the league actually stand in the next month or so.

If the fins had their starting OL, that game would have looked quite a bit different. When you've got a second year center who has primarily played left guard along with other injuries on the line, things are going to be rough against any team let alone a team with a great defensive front.

euphronius posted:

Can’t predict much this year with the parity. It’s coming down to injuries which are week to week

This is really what most things in this league boil down to.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Cartoon Man posted:

Buddy we're all still camped out on that cliff for tonight

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
This past weekend I finally realized that I think I'm done with watching live NFL football. Thursday night really fertilized the seed because I'm trying to watch Jaguars v Saints and at least half of what I wound up watching were ads for beer, cars, medicine, fast food, etc. Last night's game was a similar experience.

There are just way WAY too many commercials to hold my interest for that long and many times, we get:

1. Offensive play, booth review, commercial
2. Play overturned, new play, end of quarter, commercial
3. 4th down now, successful FG, commercial
4. Kickoff, player down on the field, commercial
5. 3 plays, punt, TV timeout/commercial
6. 2 plays, two minute warning, commercial

It's horrible and no fun. Made me want to really scientifically measure how much time I was spending watching ads versus actually watching the game I enjoy so much. Almost always, what I do now is watch 20-30 minute recaps that show me everything I need to know or, if I really want to watch a live game, pause it and allow it to buffer then go back and watch a quarter where I FF the ads.

If I'm at a sports bar with my friends it's not as much of a big deal but I HATE advertising in almost every form and these broadcasts are polluted with it. People say baseball is slow (and it is) but most times I can at least watch an inning uninterrupted and the time between them is like 60-90 seconds or something.

Also, the continued failure to do anything about cleaning up the officiating detracts from the experience and often decides a game I've invested 3.5 hours into. I'm an Eagles fan but GTFO with the idea that we committed ZERO penalties last night. My job involves "refereeing" to a degree and not only am I rigorously trained to do it well, the emphasis is always on getting it right and I'm called out when I gently caress up or taken off certain "games". This past weekend in particular was a plethora of terrible officiating and it just goes on and on.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

BiggerBoat posted:

This past weekend I finally realized that I think I'm done with watching live NFL football. Thursday night really fertilized the seed because I'm trying to watch Jaguars v Saints and at least half of what I wound up watching were ads for beer, cars, medicine, fast food, etc. Last night's game was a similar experience.

There are just way WAY too many commercials to hold my interest for that long and many times, we get:

It's horrible and no fun. Made me want to really scientifically measure how much time I was spending watching ads versus actually watching the game I enjoy so much. Almost always, what I do now is watch 20-30 minute recaps that show me everything I need to know or, if I really want to watch a live game, pause it and allow it to buffer then go back and watch a quarter where I FF the ads.

This is why RedZone + multiple pirate streams of games you want to pay closer attention to is the correct way to watch football

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I've just morphed my brain into being primarily a Red Zone watcher. What I could never imagine doing is watching a taped or delayed game in totality.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Imagine being scared to play the cowboys. Parity is super odd this season for sure, but you can't tell if the cowboys are superbowl contenders or not even going to make the playoffs any given week.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Sickening posted:

Imagine being scared to play the cowboys. Parity is super odd this season for sure, but you can't tell if the cowboys are superbowl contenders or not even going to make the playoffs any given week.

Their defense can be legit terrifying at times.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

BiggerBoat posted:

If I'm at a sports bar with my friends it's not as much of a big deal but I HATE advertising in almost every form and these broadcasts are polluted with it. People say baseball is slow (and it is) but most times I can at least watch an inning uninterrupted and the time between them is like 60-90 seconds or something.

Also, the continued failure to do anything about cleaning up the officiating detracts from the experience and often decides a game I've invested 3.5 hours into. I'm an Eagles fan but GTFO with the idea that we committed ZERO penalties last night. My job involves "refereeing" to a degree and not only am I rigorously trained to do it well, the emphasis is always on getting it right and I'm called out when I gently caress up or taken off certain "games". This past weekend in particular was a plethora of terrible officiating and it just goes on and on.

I get tired of starting games 30-60 mins late and then having to click to skip ads. Or watching live and muting and swapping to another tab while the commercials running. I think I may settle on just catching up on games with NFL+ on Mondays and then just use my antenna for cowboys games

https://x.com/MySportsUpdate/status/1716432308067049582?s=20

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

biceps crimes posted:

I get tired of starting games 30-60 mins late and then having to click to skip ads. Or watching live and muting and swapping to another tab while the commercials running. I think I may settle on just catching up on games with NFL+ on Mondays and then just use my antenna for cowboys games

That's more or less what I do.

It's not an attention span issue either. I don't mind sinking 3.5 hours into a Scorsese or Nolan movie but a 4 hour NFL game where half the time I'm learning more about Red Lobster and Modelo than poo poo happening on the field just loving sucks. It's like watching a 90 minute Youtube video without an ad blocker and it just seems to be the new normal. Hell, some people actually LIKE commercials so wtf do I know?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

BiggerBoat posted:

That's more or less what I do.

It's not an attention span issue either. I don't mind sinking 3.5 hours into a Scorsese or Nolan movie but a 4 hour NFL game where half the time I'm learning more about Red Lobster and Modelo than poo poo happening on the field just loving sucks. It's like watching a 90 minute Youtube video without an ad blocker and it just seems to be the new normal. Hell, some people actually LIKE commercials so wtf do I know?

this is the old normal. the new normal was no ads ever

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

indigi posted:

this is the old normal. the new normal was no ads ever

I read somewhere that a lot of business models follow a template where they kind of give poo poo away for free or at a loss starting out and then, once people get accustomed to having a certain service, they get socked with rate hikes and ads and poo poo. Now that YT is disallowing ad blockers, I 100% bet that the number of YT premium or whatever it is subscriptions are utterly sky rocketing, as opposed to most people just saying "gently caress youtube". Like, when Netflix cracked down on password sharing, the internet pitched a fit but the end result was more people paying to subscribe as opposed to customers saying "no more".

As it relates to the NFL: I used to slavishly watch the product. But the older I get, the more I realize that spending half (or more) of one of my two days off during the week is just not that appealing, productive or an effective use of my time, especially when half of that time is spent being informed about products like Coca Cola, McDonalds, Capitol One and Marvel movies, all of which definitely exist.

I'm amazed at the things I'm able to live without anymore, both by choice as well as necessity, once I actually eliminate them from my schedule or budget. There is just SO MUCH content right now and it's far more than I can reasonably consume - games, movies, news, texts, emails, books, TV shows, social media - let alone adding to it by watching hours of lovely commercials.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Youtube's adblock block attempts can be blocked easily with your adblocker. I recommend ublock origin. I just used the dropper tool and selected the nagbox, and now I just have to hit play an extra time whenever the nag screen would have appeared.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

Youtube's adblock block attempts can be blocked easily with your adblocker. I recommend ublock origin. I just used the dropper tool and selected the nagbox, and now I just have to hit play an extra time whenever the nag screen would have appeared.

Yeah, I'm wrapped up in the current arms race at the moment with varying degrees of success/failure.

My point is that most people will just break out their credit card and upgrade their YT service instead of seeking workarounds or just ignoring YT altogether

Found this article but unsure of the source

https://crossscreen.media/state-of-the-screens/the-average-nfl-fan-will-watch-3000-commercials-during-games-this-season/

quote:

Five big questions re: NFL ad prices:
1) How many ads run during an NFL game?
2) How many ads will the average NFL fan see in a year?
3) How much do advertisers pay for spots during NFL games?
4) How do NFL ad costs compare to other types of content?
5) How much do various content types generate per hour in advertising revenue?

Big question #1: How many ads run during an NFL game?

Quick answer: 100+ (63 minutes).

Break down of an average NFL game (% of total) according to the Wall Street Journal:
1) Players standing around – 1h 7m (35%)
2) Advertising – 1h 3m (33%)
3) Other – 0h 34m (18%)
4) Replays – 0h 17m (9%)
5) Actual playing time – 0h 11m (6%)

Quick math #1 on NFL game advertising for the average fan:
1) 4h 12m of NFL per week
2) 21 weeks per year (including playoffs)
3) 88h 12m of NFL per viewer/year
4) 33% of NFL broadcast is ads
5) 28h 56m of ads per year
6) 3,473 30s ad spots per year

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
yeah ublock's custom filter thingy means if some site out there has put up some annoying poo poo to beat adblockers there's someone on reddit who's already got a line of code to jump right past it

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Watching a game with family is ok because you can chat during commercials

There are way too many tho. It makes it a different game . Go watch a HS football game for example. It’s fast! Conditioning is a huge issue

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

euphronius posted:

Watching a game with family is ok because you can chat during commercials

There are way too many tho. It makes it a different game . Go watch a HS football game for example. It’s fast! Conditioning is a huge issue

Agree that in a group or even being at a live game that it's not so horrible but, on the other hand, actually attending a game presents its own amount of problems IMO and I've retired from doing that too. I still really enjoy the sport but at my current age and for where I find myself mentally, energy wise and from a free time standpoint that most days it's just not worth it.

Oh yeah. In the midst of all my cranky old man bitching about poo poo, I almost forgot...

gently caress the Dallas Cowboys.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/DMRussini/status/1716537882423287955?s=20

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Tremendous move. I am officially a Titans stan, they gave us AJ and a real-rear end safety

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Football is so much better enjoyed at home on the couch in front of a huge TV showing an HD broadcast.

I do get the idea of the crowd experience, but I am getting old and grumpy too, and not too fond any more of traffic and crowds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

A few block from my house there's someone who hangs a giant Titans flag over his porch all season long. Good to see people repping the farm team.