Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Man with Hat posted:

Thanks for the info on vehicles. It's always felt like an inconvenient step between trains and conveyors but maybe I'll use some this time around to pick up resources and drive them to the train stations.

They can be pretty borderline versus long-distance belts on whether they're worth using or not.

A tractor is faster to set up than a pretty belt. But if you're ok slapping down a belt across the terrain and not caring about clipping through trees or whatnot, the belt is faster to build out to a fairly long distance. Maybe at like 2 km you switch back to the tractor being faster.

For someone like me, where I care a lot about aesthetic, a tractor using natural roads is faster to do than a belt where I'm wiggling around to avoid trees and building supports.

One true advantage of tractors & trucks: they can move a lot of stuff. So if you're building a transport link in the Steel Age using mk3 belt which you might want to upgrade later, a truck means you just need to upgrade the station IO and not 100 belt segments.

Man with Hat posted:

I have another question. About fluids of course, because they don't make any goddamned sense. I have this turbofuel setup

These 12 refineries, overclocked by 250%, using 450 compacted coal and 675 fuel to make 562.5 Turbofuel.

Here's a beautiful graph on how the fuel is moving between the towers:

1. Is there a pump between the turbofuel refineries and the first level of generators? Can't quite tell from the pics, but that might be just enough height to partly work without one.

2. One segment of mk1 pipe somewhere, probably in a spot where you can't even see it because it's tiny and between two junctions or something.

3. Otherwise, my guess is that you are getting slosh / backflow in some portion of the first tower, when the fluid is going up but also has the branches off to the side to deal with. OTOH 560 has a fair amount of headroom under 600, and nearly a third of your generators aren't getting fuel. So if it is backflow you're getting hosed to a degree even I find a bit surprising!

The cure to backflow is valves. Doing something like putting a valve between the main trunkline and the feeder for each floor of generators would probably do it. But if they are all laid out like the top floor pic, you will need to do some re-piping so that there is just one connection between the main line and the manifold for the generators.

Like so:

Alternately, you could re-engineer your overall setup like this:

That should work with no valves.

However, pipe troubleshooting is very hard to do via screenshot, I'm not 100% on what the network exactly is doing.

Dunno-Lars posted:

My guess would be the mk1 pump limiting flow from 600 to 300m3/s
Try upgrading it to a mk2, or wait for someone more knowledgeable to chime in.

Mk1 pumps aren't limited to 300, they can move 600 when connected to Mk2 pipes. Pumps just do headlift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Things produce so slowly, and I know the answer is to build more factories, but is that really all there is to it? 5 reinforced plate per minute is atrociously slow, and eats up 60 iron per min. Do I have to pipe in 120 more iron per min to comfortably gain the basic resources for building? Or is slow production part and parcel of the game and something I should get used to? Is this baby levels and I should be bringing in iron in the order of thousands per min?

kanonvandekempen posted:

For what it's worth, there's a youtuber I really like who is doing a beginner-friendly playthrough which is very step-by step. He is only updating it once a week atm, and isn't as far in the game as you are.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCmmkwcxcfMiZgRyuqxN2vqGkcqFWChXh

PS: I have not found tractors useful.

I will give this a watch!

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

Qubee posted:

Things produce so slowly, and I know the answer is to build more factories, but is that really all there is to it? 5 reinforced plate per minute is atrociously slow, and eats up 60 iron per min. Do I have to pipe in 120 more iron per min to comfortably gain the basic resources for building? Or is slow production part and parcel of the game and something I should get used to? Is this baby levels and I should be bringing in iron in the order of thousands per min?

I will give this a watch!

I'd say bring stuff in as you need it. It's worth getting the MAM and researching power slugs so you can overclock miners if you don't want to run across the entire world pulling in raw resources. If you feel your reinforced iron plate production is very slow bringing in more iron ore and building more buildings is the way to go. Or connect the production to a big container and go explore while it builds up!

Klyith posted:

However, pipe troubleshooting is very hard to do via screenshot, I'm not 100% on what the network exactly is doing.

I realize this so thanks so much for trying on the information provided! I tried the central line up, splitting between the towers you posted a paint of and it looks promising looking at flow numbers in the pipes! Will let it run for a bit to see if it evens out as the reactors slowly fills up.

Man with Hat fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Oct 23, 2023

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Qubee posted:

Things do take time. What the game is designed to do is that when you're producing stuff and have some down time, go explore a bit. (At first your exploration will be short-range because you have to go back home once an hour to feed the bio-burner generators.)

In the early game, 5-10 reinforced plate per minute is a perfectly cromulent number to make. Grab a few more nearby iron nodes, or OC the miners as Man w/ Hat said. (Though I wouldn't go ham on overclocking when you don't have coal power yet. OCing takes extra power.)

As you progress, yes, you will eventually need thousands of iron per minute. This game scales big. One thing that helps is alternate recipes: find crash sites with hard drives to unlock these in the MAM. Then you can find a recipe that makes reinforced plates much faster, or uses way less material, or both.

Man with Hat posted:

I realize this so thanks so much for trying on the information provided! I tried the central line up, splitting between the towers you posted a paint of and it looks promising looking at flow numbers in the pipes! Will let it run for a bit to see if it evens out as the reactors slowly fills up.

Pipes are a gently caress. Have fun with aluminum! :v:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Klyith posted:

Pipes are a gently caress. Have fun with aluminum! :v:

I should be allowed to just dump my excess water back in the river or just out of an empty pipe or something instead of having to set up annoying sink stuff, grumble.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You may eventually build an entire factory just for an item mall

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

kanonvandekempen posted:

PS: I have not found tractors useful.

The most useful thing about vehicles to me was that fauna aren't aggressive towards you when you're in a vehicle, making exploring over long distances much less tedious.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
The problem I have with trucks is how uneven the terrain is and when I'm recording and I tap a rock thats about 3 inches high which causes the truck to rocket up into the sky, land on its side and then I have to wiggle to get it to go upright and all of that is caught in the recording so I have to edit the route and delete all those nodes of the truck being in one spot or restart the recording from scratch and I hate these drat things. Someone should hack in a road that works like train tracks in how it bends and attaches itself to the terrain and have trucks stick to it like glue.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Did you try trucks in the Experimental build yet? With the UE5 upgrade, they had to overhaul vehicle physics and they're a bit less finicky now in regards to getting moonshot by pebbles and such.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Yeah in the experimental branch I actually made a pretty functional truck route across the dunes of the desert to carry big loads of coal to my power plants near the water. I was sure to drive slowly over the dunes when recording it and it seemed to work fine. Also if it gets off track for long enough to get lost it eventually turns into a ghost and appears back on the track. It was eventually supplanted by faster belts but it worked great for keeping everything stocked.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I could not wait for patch 8 to release to the standard branch so I decided to start a new playthrough in experimental and just port it over.

The deep valley between just deforestation to get enough throughout to make enough parts to get the first elevator part and then to coal is soooo deep.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Roundboy posted:

I could not wait for patch 8 to release to the standard branch so I decided to start a new playthrough in experimental and just port it over.

The deep valley between just deforestation to get enough throughout to make enough parts to get the first elevator part and then to coal is soooo deep.

It used to be better, when coal plants didn't require water, I can kinda see why they did it, it's useful to get new players acquainted with pipes before they have to start building oil and plastic setups, but I wish there was a way to automate power generation between the solid biofuel and coal stage, like an MK2 biomass generator that has a belt connection.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Well, there almost is. Two shimming containers, each tied to a bio mass leaves or wood processor. They both run to a solid biofuel constructor

You get enough stuff chainsawing while exploring to have you run for a while.

.... except I don't need to explore. Hdds are kinda pointless until I can get steel recipes. And the static map over the last few years makes me. It needs to wander the map and see it's delights.

The goal now is to run enough screws to make enough reinforced plates/rotors and have enough power to support it. And then build up enough crap to build power and never touch biomass again

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Wait, I started a new save a few days back and am up to Tier 3 but it wasn't experimental. If I swap to experimental branch, do I have to restart? Or can I just play my current save. Will I miss out on any features if I don't restart?

I thought Update 8 was the latest update, is experimental branch an update ahead or what.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Qubee posted:

Wait, I started a new save a few days back and am up to Tier 3 but it wasn't experimental. If I swap to experimental branch, do I have to restart? Or can I just play my current save. Will I miss out on any features if I don't restart?

I thought Update 8 was the latest update, is experimental branch an update ahead or what.

Experimental is on 8, early access is on 7. I get the occasional crash on experimental (once an hour or so), but other than that it's probably a good time to switch to the newer version.
I think you use the same saves between the two, so just switch to experimental in the steam client. I think some terrain got changed between 7 & 8, so make a backup somewhere of your save files just to be sure. Your performance might take a hit, since update 8 is on unreal engine 5, so you'll have to adjust some settings.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Saves can always go forward to newer versions of the game, but you can't go back to a previous version. This means you can take your EA (v7) save to Experimental (v8). But saves in Exp can't to go back to EA until whenever v8 gets released to the main EA.

However, just loading a save on a different version doesn't change it. The can't-go-back only affects further saves. So if you make a save called "U7savedontdelete" and don't overwrite it, you can go back to that one if you roll back to EA.

Qubee posted:

Experimental is an update ahead when they're working on & testing a new update. It's community bug-testing, very explicitly for people who don't mind bugs and bad performance.

The cadence goes like this:
1. update released to Early Access: EA and Experimental are in sync
2. minor patches happen to EA, Experimental goes out of date
3. time passes, coffee stain works internally on next update
4. new update goes on Experimental, EA is still on old update <- we are here
5. when new update is up to a good quality standard, go back to #1

So another thing to know about Experimental is that when the update is released to EA, you hop back to EA branch because Experimental will stop getting patches after a few weeks.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I've started building my first megafactory, where everything will be neat and organized and I'll have dedicated floors / blocks for certain production lines. Only issue is, making an actual building leaves the interior pitch black, even with excessive windows along the walls. I unlocked street lamps and they're kind of rubbish and don't fit the aesthetic of indoor use. Will indoor lighting fix this issue? I haven't yet unlocked steel production.

Another thing, what is up with the gated door? It looks very clippy. When I put the gate hole with the automated gate, it looks broken. Having just the gate in the wall doesn't seem right.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Qubee posted:

Only issue is, making an actual building leaves the interior pitch black, even with excessive windows along the walls. I unlocked street lamps and they're kind of rubbish and don't fit the aesthetic of indoor use. Will indoor lighting fix this issue?

Are you on Experimental and using Lumen now? Because that is the big Lumen problem: you don't have ambient lighting anymore and your interiors are completely dark.

With Lumen, you can use signs as lights by setting them to a bright background color and turning up Emission Strength to 2 or 3.

Otherwise, there are 2 other lights, ceiling lights and wall floor lights, that work much better for interiors. They do best if you have larger spaces -- the ceiling light for example kinda needs 20 or 24 meter ceilings to look good.

Qubee posted:

Another thing, what is up with the gated door? It looks very clippy. When I put the gate hole with the automated gate, it looks broken. Having just the gate in the wall doesn't seem right.

I don't think they're supposed to be used together like that? I never do.

I mostly use the auto gate for vehicle entrances. In particular, set them in pairs so they open in the middle. Once you have steel you can buy beams from the awesome shop. If you frame the gate sides with beams it looks much better. Beams are amazing.

What would be really cool is if they made the gate door also able to be placed rotated 90 degrees, so that it opens & closes like a garage door.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Qubee posted:

I unlocked street lamps and they're kind of rubbish and don't fit the aesthetic of indoor use. Will indoor lighting fix this issue? I haven't yet unlocked steel production.

The trick is to use them in blueprints and set them back far enough that they look like they're part of the machine. This kind of blending is made easier with beams.

Beams are basically the ultimate item when it comes to good aesthetics. Beams and pillars just help with blending weird things so much. It's great.

Edit: But yes the ceiling interior lights I think do look pretty good.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I've recently adopted this blueprint style I saw recently, where inputs & outputs come in from right-to-left and outputs are conveyed back over the machine and put on a left-to-right belt above the inputs. works pretty well, fast & easy to tile and all that

but now I'm trying to do it for refineries. figuring out how to bring the fluid output up & over back to the input side without a conveyor-lift-like pipe part, then handling whatever head-lift issues will inevitably crop up, is bluescreening my brain :mad:

(e) i guess i could use temporary walls to put a pipeline junction above the output so there's one pipe up then one back to the input side but that seems somehow even more eww than floating splitters, imo nope, refineries output with 10m of lift and the junction'd have to be 14m high to clear the building. go-around it is :sigh:

(i know i could do a logistics sub-floor but i kinda hate doing those unless i'm going hard on aesthetics)

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Oct 26, 2023

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Ciaphas posted:

but now I'm trying to do it for refineries. figuring out how to bring the fluid output up & over back to the input side without a conveyor-lift-like pipe part, then handling whatever head-lift issues will inevitably crop up, is bluescreening my brain :(

the usual answer is under the floor, rather than over the top

But note that under-floor setups for pipes interacts somewhat poorly with the fluid mechanics -- fluid wants to go down, so you get lots of backflow from all the vertical segments that are sloshing into each other. It is mostly curable with valves, but you don't want to try for the max 300 or 600 per min with underfed setups.

edit: lol old tab, didn't see your edit that you already know this

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
I don't have the game in front of me to check if there's enough clearance between refineries, but couldn't you set up a temporary floor hole used to output the pipes at an angle then route them in the space between the refineries? Obviously pumps fix vertical problems and you should avoid pushing liquid up a hill to begin with, but if you really wanted the sort of input/output you have with those splitters/mergers then I think that'd get enough lift off the base output.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I haven’t been keeping up, are there any firm dates on when update 8 will hit EA? Or should I just start up an experimental game?

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Speculation is high this month or early next. They did set a hard date of 'before xmas' recently.

Start that game, port the save when it does live and be that much more ahead of the curve

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Roundboy posted:

Speculation is high this month or early next. They did set a hard date of 'before xmas' recently.

I remember their first community update of 2022, where they said releases would be slowing down because they wanted to guarantee that they'd finish the 1.0 release by the end of 2022.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

WhiteHowler posted:

I remember their first community update of 2022, where they said releases would be slowing down because they wanted to guarantee that they'd finish the 1.0 release by the end of 2022.

If they push hard they can still make it.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

*pictures superman circling the earth so fast it causes time to go backwards* hell yeah it’s doable!

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

WhiteHowler posted:

But then Jace left and now they have to do double work!!

But really they upgraded unreal engine at least twice, it was a ton of work but was worth it in the long run.

Aside from some minor visual hiccup on blurred items on conveyor belts, I really like the look

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

priznat posted:

I haven’t been keeping up, are there any firm dates on when update 8 will hit EA? Or should I just start up an experimental game?

I am on a decently low-end computer and Experimental branch now runs just as well (if not better) as the Update 7 did. I did have one instance of losing my inventory after loading a game up, but it was only 90 or so batteries, no big deal.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Nice, I will start up an experimental one tonight.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

neato burrito posted:

I am on a decently low-end computer and Experimental branch now runs just as well (if not better) as the Update 7 did. I did have one instance of losing my inventory after loading a game up, but it was only 90 or so batteries, no big deal.

I think that was a bug with you respawning as a new player in your own game after a patch. If you remember where you were before it happened there should be a player character there that you can kill and loot.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Too bad they probably didn't apply abstractions everywhere, to ease an engine switch, because in upcoming UE5.4, there was a shitload of work to parallelize engine stuff some more. In the Unreal Fest, they quoted the Matrix City Demo, and how they got the average frame time down from 21ms to 11ms on their test setups. Given big rear end factories taking down the framerate, that might be helpful. Also, they mentioned additional work to enable more actors and objects (than the current 2 million limit).

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Nov 5, 2023

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Combat Pretzel posted:

Too bad they probably didn't apply abstractions everywhere, to ease an engine switch, because in upcoming UE5.4, there was a shitload of work to parallelize engine stuff some more. In the Unreal Fest, they quoted the Matrix City Demo, and how they got the average frame time down from 21ms to 11ms on their test setups. Given big rear end factories taking down the framerate, that might be helpful.

Not sure how big a deal this would be. Work that Epic does to parallelize stuff in the engine doesn't necessarily help the big-rear end factories run better, because that's Satisfactory code not engine code. Which I'd hope is already multithreaded, but also may have the exact same problem as Factorio -- more cores is unhelpful because the main limitation is cache size and RAM latency, not computation.

(The over 2 million thing would apply, but I'm with the devs that the uobject limit isn't that big a deal.)

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I thought the amount of visible factory/decoration objects has a fair influence on framerates?

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

kanonvandekempen posted:

I think that was a bug with you respawning as a new player in your own game after a patch. If you remember where you were before it happened there should be a player character there that you can kill and loot.

FWIW if you forget where you were, as I did, the original player location still shows up correctly on the map if you toss the save file into https://satisfactory-calculator.com/.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Apparently in the MAM, if you don't like what the hard drive RNG gives you, you can hit ESC to eject the drive and try again. The drive slot appears empty, just hit scan again.

Shoulda known sooner. :psyduck:

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Wat.

I thought the rng was set when you hit scan, and the way around that was to save / reload before that

But. It doesn't matter. Eventually you will go through everything, just get more hdd. If you pick the 'bad' choices then the good ones will come up later

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Also the pool of recipes expands as you unlock more stuff. So if you keep up with scanning HDDs evenly throughout the game, it's alot less dicey getting something specific as opposed to waiting until you've got everything unlocked and haven't touched a HDD yet.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Combat Pretzel posted:

I thought the amount of visible factory/decoration objects has a fair influence on framerates?

I'm pretty sure that's primarily GPU load, possibly with a side order of memory pressure. It might be helped by improvements in new UE versions, but also maybe not.

But the performance impact from having NESG-size factories in your world still exists when you go to some corner of the map where you can't see anything. That's the Satisfactory-unique factory-running code, and I think is least likely to be affected by things in UE 5.4.

Roundboy posted:

Wat.

I thought the rng was set when you hit scan, and the way around that was to save / reload before that

Yeah that's how it works in U7 and before, the esc-to-reroll is only in U8 experimental and possibly a bug.

Roundboy posted:

But. It doesn't matter. Eventually you will go through everything, just get more hdd. If you pick the 'bad' choices then the good ones will come up later

I will admit to pressing escape when I've gotten 3 terrible options, even though I've been operating under the assumption this is a bug and I shouldn't exploit it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I never bother scanning hdds until I unlock coal, but preferably steel. At least then I have the option for some immediate useful ones vs stuff that I will have to eventually unlock, but I won't actually use

That being said, I found myself making some alternative recipes I would not have in the past just to fill some holes in production without having to ramp up a ton more input. Since my initial base is fluid I can just retool as needed

U8, and maybe U7 helped a bit by making some mam research accessible much earlier on (like smart splitters) so the excess can start becoming final base perks much sooner.