Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

Chamale posted:

Since 1970, computer speed doubled every two years, but that's no longer the case. A home computer in 1985 had its speed measured in thousands of operations per second, and now it's billions of operations per second. Some graphics cards do a trillion. But the trend is slowing down, so we no longer have exponential growth in computer chips to drive constant growth in the tech sector.

and it's the last exponential growth left to fuel the exponential growth of capitalism unless they finally unlock fusion so uhh may you live in interesting times indeed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Maed posted:

and it's the last exponential growth left to fuel the exponential growth of capitalism unless they finally unlock fusion so uhh may you live in interesting times indeed

decay and collapse are still exponential growth, just in the opposite direction.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Sanlav posted:

Programmers have to architect things now

lol

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

SKULL.GIF posted:

Is there any civilian benefit aside from small package delivery?

poo poo, I offer that service for free…

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023
fuck off worms butthole guy!!!
https://www.businessinsider.com/elon-musk-acted-little-baby-tesla-terrible-call-kevin-paffrath-2023-10

*Trollface* Problem?

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

https://twitter.com/FirstSquawk/status/1716226396337459448?t=gezPSMkYV63lp4yIcZMZsw&s=19

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

SKULL.GIF posted:

they use drones carrying lidar to do surveying now, it's really cool and way faster than sending out an airplane

a lot of military technology ends up benefiting work like surveying, GPS is the classic example

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
the drones can be used by real estate agents to get great aerial photographs of homes investment properties for sale

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 7 minutes!

19 o'clock posted:

the drones can be used by real estate agents to get great aerial photographs of homes investment properties for sale

how's your home search going

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

loquacius posted:

In another thread like a month ago multiple people got mad at me for selling a 2009 model car, because the engine was still good

I'm not saying we should be like my mom in the 90s and keep switching to new cars because station wagons or minivans had gone out of style, but a 14-year lifespan seems reasonable

imo it's a complicated topic

Like there is nothing wrong with you, personally, getting rid of your old car and buying a new one. However, fourteen years isn't really a good lifespan, either. Cars are wildly complex machines built using parts and processes that are expensive and environmentally damaging and we should all be driving much older vehicles. Certainly there's something wrong with the idea of a car that's only fourteen years old ending up on the scrapheap. Total rebuilds and things like that should honestly be a lot more common.

But as with everything else it has nothing to do with individual consumption choices and everything to do with the culture we've built up around cars and everything else.

animist
Aug 28, 2018

Maed posted:

no way they unlock fusion, it would require decades of planning and massive capital investment.

unless one of the inertial things works I guess

SKULL.GIF posted:

heh. small package delivery. drones coming for goon jobs

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

i used the red thermal paste for my cpu, and then i ate the rest to gain its power

Sanlav
Feb 10, 2020

We'll Meet Again

Maybe this isn't obvious but, telling a computer to do a thing is a lot easier than telling it do 32 things and then cobble it together verify all the individual jobs got done, and proceed? it's just a lot of meta programming.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Taima posted:

Where it gets a little strange for me is when people get morally up in arms over people who do buy newer technology. I have a couple of friends like that, the people who derive some sense of moral superiority by using old stuff. It's completely meaningless; the world is being strip mined regardless and nothing will change. It's the most futile moral stance of all time.

i dont give a gently caress about moralizing, only for my wallet

what i saying is current consumer tech has gotten good enough on the cheap especially when getting them used

i did splurge $900 on a S23 ultra but i also don't deny my xiaomi poco F3 delivers 90% of features at 1/5 the price. And i also only mostly bought the samsung because its the only whitelisted android phone brand for workplace IT access

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Taima posted:

Where it gets a little strange for me is when people get morally up in arms over people who do buy newer technology. I have a couple of friends like that, the people who derive some sense of moral superiority by using old stuff. It's completely meaningless; the world is being strip mined regardless and nothing will change. It's the most futile moral stance of all time.

many, many people do not use a fully consequentialist moral framework and deontology is just a lot simpler. acting in a virtuous manner regardless of systemic outcome is often noble.

you could sneer at how futile BDS in the west is, but that's not entirely the point

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

https://twitter.com/TheStalwart/status/1716385614520549817?t=Y0SpPJYN1oMJgC24m1rqqA&s=19

https://twitter.com/FT/status/1716388372686491807?t=u09EXhbSHb72lD2M2YeJzw&s=19

https://twitter.com/lisaabramowicz1/status/1716386698563584135?t=7vDxHhUVdqTlSdafbn57bw&s=19

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

so does this mean big money is going to evacuate the economy into safe government bonds leaving the rest of us to starve ?

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Big Oil

https://twitter.com/BloombergAsia/status/1716389488245494179

Argentina is heading for a runoff election, after Javier Milei unexpectedly came in 2nd place in the first round. "Left" candidate Sergio Massa will have his work cut out for him though, if he manages to hold onto his lead:

https://twitter.com/BrankoMilan/status/1716389745360535955

EU is taking more from their citizens than they are spending, causing the economy to contract:

https://twitter.com/DEhnts/status/1716390824538194099

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

webcams for christ posted:

many, many people do not use a fully consequentialist moral framework and deontology is just a lot simpler. acting in a virtuous manner regardless of systemic outcome is often noble.

you could sneer at how futile BDS in the west is, but that's not entirely the point

Reminds me of the debate regarding this year's Harry Potter game.

https://twitter.com/ChuckTingle/status/1623377248815566850
https://twitter.com/ChuckTingle/status/1623706001290702848

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

fine words but real change comes out of the barrel of a gun unfortunately

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
pounded in the rear end by the revolutionary BUTT of a GUN, by chuck tingle

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

Jel Shaker posted:

so does this mean big money is going to evacuate the economy into safe government bonds leaving the rest of us to starve ?

do not worry, the premium consumer remains strong.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Jel Shaker posted:

fine words but real change comes out of the barrel of a gun unfortunately

I don't see anyone arguing against materialism itt

The Top G
Jul 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

loquacius posted:

Nobody knows how to do car repair themselves, good for you if you can but it's nonsensical to expect any given person to apropos of nothing, touch grass

Ya lol same I’m utterly useless, I have to pay the mechanic to inflate my tires to the proper pressure (can never remember which way the valve caps turn)

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Sanlav posted:

Maybe this isn't obvious but, telling a computer to do a thing is a lot easier than telling it do 32 things and then cobble it together verify all the individual jobs got done, and proceed? it's just a lot of meta programming.

My dude, let me introduce you to a little thing called "microservices": you can easily turn that one thing into hundreds and guarantee yourself a job janitoring them!

Programmers have correctly realised that the path to growth is to constantly reinvent things and make them worse then invent another one to replace it.

The Top G posted:

Ya lol same I’m utterly useless, I have to pay the mechanic to inflate my tires to the proper pressure (can never remember which way the valve caps turn)

Do you also get stuck behind doors, unable to turn the handle?

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

My dude, let me introduce you to a little thing called "microservices": you can easily turn that one thing into hundreds and guarantee yourself a job janitoring them!

Programmers have correctly realised that the path to growth is to constantly reinvent things and make them worse then invent another one to replace it.

I'm convinced the microservices wave was cloud providers pushing on the fact that k8s and serverless had far higher margins. the clients I had in the azure space around then each had one day when their rep called them and I had to spend weeks pushing back on how wasteful and painful rearchitecting their already garbage apps was going to be so they could save $100/mo of their $60M/mo budget

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

yeah wtf

every gas station here has a free air pump where you can set the PSI pressure level, unscrew the air inlet on the tire, put the hose in and it finishes the inflate/deflate in like 5 seconds

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
You guys inflate your tires?

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
You don't even really need tires. Just let them go flat and kind of shred/slough off over time. You can ride on your rims. They're round, what's the problem?

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Benagain posted:

what? like a rich person?

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

i just completely fill my tires with canned fix-a-flat

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Benagain posted:

ikr why use tires when flat steel on hickory works perfectly fine

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea
The economy understander has logged on

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/1716086280512020588

Anyone else on SA in a tight spot just go work at target, hope that helps

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

hey matt

who's buying the resold soap

what are they gonna do with it matt

are they gonna sell it too

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Beached Whale posted:

The economy understander has logged on

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/1716086280512020588

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geY-ydeYb4M

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Beached Whale posted:

this part also sucks and needed its own post. real "let them eat cake" energy

freaks like matty would fuckin love if everyone went to work at target because who cares if they still can't make rent and have no healthcare, that employment number would go way the hell down and then matty's outlook would be pretty fuckin sweet!!!!!!

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea

loquacius posted:

hey matt

Yeah it's called wash trading

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
there's a whole soap economy of unemployed people trading soaps back and forth

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

loquacius posted:

hey matt

This is what money laundering is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.
Also just because job postings exist doesn't mean that the jobs exist. A lot of companies are using job postings as a way to gather data on potential applicants and how desperate they are, and never intend on hiring someone unless they are the fabled unicorn candidate that is an expert in everything but is asking for little money in return.