Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Bacon Terrorist posted:

This is a bit niche but I thought if anyone knows it is you goons.

I really like the opening track 1985 from Carcass's album Surgical Steel, can anyone recommend me bands that sound like that specific track?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poMjVcx68ec

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

The instrumental that's just a harmonised guitar riff? What specifically do you like about it? Because you could throw a dart at the "classic metal" section of a record shop and be virtually guaranteed to hit an album that has that sound on it

https://youtu.be/7mMqOmeyzPU?si=5rog_vMDpHDc_0lm

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

the randomly underlined letters are giving me sus vibes

edit: even though it's probably just copyright dodging...

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

That intro rules, I always thought it sounded like Policenauts by the loving champs (it doesn't really but it ticks similar boxes in my head)

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Great suggestion, thanks.

Wachter posted:

The instrumental that's just a harmonised guitar riff? What specifically do you like about it? Because you could throw a dart at the "classic metal" section of a record shop and be virtually guaranteed to hit an album that has that sound on it

https://youtu.be/7mMqOmeyzPU?si=5rog_vMDpHDc_0lm

Maybe any bands that are doing that kind of stuff now? I know what you're saying it is pretty generic but for some reason I just enjoy that riff! I love that era of Maiden, my friend's band Eliminator have channelled it:

https://youtu.be/e4f2Uq_YWjU?si=zgoeoC0AtK0BGJtK

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Great suggestion, thanks.

Maybe any bands that are doing that kind of stuff now? I know what you're saying it is pretty generic but for some reason I just enjoy that riff! I love that era of Maiden, my friend's band Eliminator have channelled it:

https://youtu.be/e4f2Uq_YWjU?si=zgoeoC0AtK0BGJtK

It sounds like you're really vibing with the thick, layered harmonies. Definitely check out the aforementioned loving Champs, three and four part harmonies are their main aesthetic. I think you'd also like Brendan Small's Galaktikon, it's peppered with big fat Brian May-style harmonies throughout.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

McFlurry Fan #1 posted:

That intro rules, I always thought it sounded like Policenauts by the loving champs (it doesn't really but it ticks similar boxes in my head)

That’s some good poo poo. I love how they are so good but still sound like generic 80s background music sometimes

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Does anybody else feel like they outgrew Opeth? I used to listen to everything from Watershed back through their discography religiously, but I just have trouble enjoying the music as much as I used to. I think there are some really good tracks in there, but I just can't really do a 15 minute track the way that I used to.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

100% agree. Would be fun live, but I haven’t listened to Opeth in years for the same reason. The longer sections don’t hit very hard for me and get stale fast. That said, I have a buddy who is more into Opeth than ever.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Somehow I missed that Nile rereleased their first three albums on fancy vinyl. Just picked up In Their Darkened Shrines and Annihilation of the Wicked for about $26 each. I'll have to wait a little bit for the other one, my wallet can only take so much abuse.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

CornHolio posted:

Annihilation of the Wicked

This is the only Nile release that you'll ever really need. Lashed to the Slave Stick!!!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Bacon Terrorist posted:

This is a bit niche but I thought if anyone knows it is you goons.

I really like the opening track 1985 from Carcass's album Surgical Steel, can anyone recommend me bands that sound like that specific track?

Harmonized guitar bends are like 99% of what Blind Guardian do, but that's definitely not the same genre at all.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

This is the only Nile release that you'll ever really need. Lashed to the Slave Stick!!!

On the other hand though,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzQeHo92Bpo

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Vargatron posted:

Does anybody else feel like they outgrew Opeth? I used to listen to everything from Watershed back through their discography religiously, but I just have trouble enjoying the music as much as I used to. I think there are some really good tracks in there, but I just can't really do a 15 minute track the way that I used to.

Mostly, but Blackwater Park is still pretty fantastic.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

CornHolio posted:

Somehow I missed that Nile rereleased their first three albums on fancy vinyl. Just picked up In Their Darkened Shrines and Annihilation of the Wicked for about $26 each. I'll have to wait a little bit for the other one, my wallet can only take so much abuse.

Did you forget Amongst the Catacombs of Nephren-Ka??

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Vargatron posted:

i've only listened to Blackwater Park all the way through and i actually went back to it a few days ago and honestly i think i kind of like it more than i did when i first listened to it ten or so years ago? but i was also in high school and only cared for thrash and NWOBHM so it might be an expansion of tastes thing

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Vintersorg posted:

Did you forget Amongst the Catacombs of Nephren-Ka??

My bad - looks like they've repressed their first four albums!

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

CornHolio posted:

I'm glad you posted about this because I had no idea. I just ordered Annihilation tho

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

your corruptible bodies shall be cut to pieceeeeesssss

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

After trying to catch them on tour for ages, I finally got to see Suffocation on my lovely mexican hometown last saturday. They put an spotless show and Hobbs didn't complain about signing all my records so it was a great night.

CornHolio posted:

My bad - looks like they've repressed their first four albums!

I think the only one they haven't reissued is They Whom The Gods Detest. I had to get the original 2010 release from the UK on ebay a couple of years back.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
I've been catching up on Behemoth's latest (which I think came out last year)

I kinda dig it, but jesus what an awful mix. Where the hell is the kick drum?

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

H13 posted:

I've been catching up on Behemoth's latest (which I think came out last year)

I kinda dig it, but jesus what an awful mix. Where the hell is the kick drum?

Judging by the sound of the record it seems to have been left on the tour bus

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
This is cool, but I don't know how to identify it.

I guess it's melodic black metal with flutes, exotic folk instruments, chants, and Mayan themes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flriZLhyVko

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
What's Halloween without a new Acid Witch jam?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCkwcwlYO3g

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe
gaerea/blackbraid/ wolves in the throne room live report:

gaerea: these guys are alright but don’t translate well live imo. the singer, mainly. tries very hard to be vessel from sleep token in his theatrics but spent most of the show going “buhhhhh… GUUUuhhhhh?? Denver???? GAEREA!!!!!!”. there’s all sorts of melodies that I like in their music that couldn’t make it through my earplugs.

blackbraid: owned. a lot. a ton of genuine stage energy, music came across really well, more feeling in it than listening to it cold. singer had some pipes, everyone on stage drank a ton, rhythm guitar dude spit in my face. would make a point to go see them no matter who else was on the ticket.

wolves itt: lol they suck a bunch, I’m already in an Uber home, bitch

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Lencho posted:

After trying to catch them on tour for ages, I finally got to see Suffocation on my lovely mexican hometown last saturday. They put an spotless show and Hobbs didn't complain about signing all my records so it was a great night.

Good man

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

ixo posted:

there’s all sorts of melodies that I like in their music that couldn’t make it through my earplugs.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

ixo posted:

lmao

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Lol

lovestick
Feb 11, 2006

~30303030303~

it's always nice when the poo poo band goes on last

Cynicus
May 1, 2008

owling furies.

ixo posted:

we're due a new thread title I'd say.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Cynicus posted:

we're due a new thread title I'd say.

agreed

especially since it still says 2021

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Twenty twenty x!

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

ixo posted:

Wolves sent you home, goon?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Elegy Of Madness - XI

For fans of Nightwish. I don't think this'll end up on my year end list but it's worth a spin. Portrait of a Ghost is probably the standout track here.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
maybe this isn’t the best place to ask this but is there a thread for thrash or is this it

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

echinopsis posted:

maybe this isn’t the best place to ask this but is there a thread for thrash or is this it

This is it. The only subgenre specific metal threads are black metal and stoner/doom/sludge.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
hello echi, what you need?

(was just asking about you today lol)

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Henchman of Santa posted:

This is it. The only subgenre specific metal threads are black metal and stoner/doom/sludge.

smh forgetting about the -core like everyone always does :saddowns:

Cynicus
May 1, 2008

owling furies.

echinopsis posted:

yes, please talk thrash with me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

ShoogaSlim posted:

smh forgetting about the -core like everyone always does :saddowns: